Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Richt is going to use the "Houston Nutt game plan"

Started by 3BoarsDown, September 17, 2009, 07:46:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

they are going to play ball control, time of possession, smash mouth football.

A comment was made yesterday, "you keep that laminated sheet out of his hands and you frustrate Bobby Petrino."

If we can stop the run, the Hogs win this one. They are going to come down hill straight at our defense. They have watched extensive tape on UF, Bama, and TX last year.

SquidBilly

That plan will only work for them as long as they have the lead.  If they fall behind they will not be able to just keep pounding.  If we can jump out to a 14 point lead I really believe they are done because Cox doesn't strike me as a guy who can lead them back with his arm.

MJ2

That's exactly why you take the ball 1st and go try to get ahead of them.   If the wheels fall off early and they get a couple of cheap TD's, they will just sit on the ball and let the clock run and head back to Athens with a boring W.

razorsharptusk

True, Cox doesn't seem to be able to lead with his arm, however, we are not known for a stout secondary either.  The same thing we hope against Ga. Secondary, may be what they are thinking too.  If we can pressure him and get him running around, maybe that will help take away more of his accuracy.  I truly don't know what to expect.  Richt seems so calm and confident, and so does BP.  It's like a faceoff between them.  But, the top post said it best, if they plan to keep our offense off the field, that places much emphasis on our defense to step up and not allow that to happen.
GO HOGS!!

Tim Harris

I agree with everything posted.  The key is for us to get a quick lead so that they can't run the ball the entire game and play the field position/ball control game with us.

If it is a shootout we will win but if it comes down to field position and a low scoring game I think Georgia gets the W.

huggerfrommanila

Quote from: ATLpiggie on September 17, 2009, 07:54:07 am
Cox doesn't strike me as a guy who can lead them back with his arm.

having green wont hurt tho.
"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
James: What an absolutely beautiful day. Warm Sun, beautiful women...
Carl: And the air... is just right... for drinking.  ~Men at Work, 1990
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

Tripod1

This is certainly one time that we need the ball first.  Always harder to play from behind for a ball control team. 

Big Daddy

If true and I have my doubts. Why would Richt tell everyone his game plan? I wouldn't believe a word of it.

pigsiouxie

first of all, to me the "HDN  gameplan" means  "to not show up in the big game" ..so if GA wants to do that, im all for it

secondly, im sticking with the "we're gonna outscore them" mantra... if they cant stop SC, they sure as hell cant stop BP/RM

pigsiouxie

Quote from: pigsiouxie on September 17, 2009, 08:30:59 am
first of all, to me the "HDN  gameplan" means  "to not show up in the big game" ..so if GA wants to do that, im all for it

secondly, im sticking with the "we're gonna outscore them" mantra... if they cant stop SC, they sure as hell cant stop BP/RM
dang it, i havent had both cups of coffee this am.. i forgot my other bit of brilliance to add..

another HDN thing Richt is following is the "do less with more" concept.. granted they've had a few good years of late, but considering they were preseason #1 last year and didnt cut it, and preseason top 5 this year and are dropping  fast, clearly MR is reading the HDN coaching guidlines for doing less with more

hogtusk

The trick to beating a ball control offense is scoring every time you get the ball, and keeping them from scoring every time they have have the ball. We should roughly get the ball as often as them. See, that was easy.:)
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

YodaHog

How potent is UGA's rushing attack?  They currently rank last in the SEC with 101 y/g.

Pigsknuckles

Most of us have an aversion to a ball control game plan because HDN's style was one dimensional. The beauty of our current offense is that we have the ability to score in a lot of ways, and still use some clock. I would love to get UGA a couple of scores down early, but not at the expense of quickly putting the Bulldogs offense back on the field and wearing down our D. They can't play ball control without the ball. We don't need lightning, just a good measure of rolling thunder.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

3kgthog

Sadly, I think this gameplan will work. I'm not sold on our d-line being able to not get blown off the line. I'm also doubting Robinson's ability to call a good game. He's a decent position coach but a second rate d-coordinator.

DEVICEHIGH

Quote from: YodaHog on September 17, 2009, 08:48:52 am
How potent is UGA's rushing attack?  They currently rank last in the SEC with 101 y/g.

The rest of the SEC has been playing high school teams while their stats are against OSU and USCe.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

want2be

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on September 17, 2009, 08:59:56 am
The rest of the SEC has been playing high school teams while their stats are against OSU and USCe.

Let's just hope our Defense is as good as OSU and USCe.......I don't like remembering how Coffee along with several other backs busted big runs on us last year....I think our Dline and Backers have an attitude to prove differently this year and with their experience, extra strength and weight, we may be able to bend but not break.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: pigsiouxie on September 17, 2009, 08:34:21 am
dang it, i havent had both cups of coffee this am.. i forgot my other bit of brilliance to add..

another HDN thing Richt is following is the "do less with more" concept.. granted they've had a few good years of late, but considering they were preseason #1 last year and didnt cut it, and preseason top 5 this year and are dropping  fast, clearly MR is reading the HDN coaching guidlines for doing less with more

They had 19 season ending injuries last year, and they still managed to go 10-3 with their only losses all to Top 25 teams.

This year, they were around 12-15 in most pre-season polls.  I don't know if they are that good, but they were the consensus No. 2 in the SEC East, and they were consensus No. 5 in the SEC.  After the win over SC, I think No. 2 in the East is about right.  We'll see about No. 5 in the SEC.

Richt has never won fewer than 9 games in a season, and the time he won ONLY 9 games was when he had a true freshman Stafford under center.  I don't quite understand the shots at Richt.  Regardless of what kind of team he has, he always seems to go out and take care of business.  He hasn't gotten to the big game yet, but his teams are consistently strong, which is very difficult to do in the SEC.

Guitar Hog

I don't give a shat what Georgia's game plan is.  Arkansas is going to be scoring fast and often while Richt is possessing his balls with his thumb up his arse.  After trailing by 2 touchdowns he will then implement the Houston Nutt game plan which is biting on his nails and stemming like rain man.

HotlantaHog

My guess is UGa is going to try to take advantage of superior special teams. If they can shorten the field when Dogs have the ball and extend it when Arkansas does, that will help equalize Hogs' high-powered offense.

Beaverfever

Idk why they'd do that.  From most indications this hog defense is more vulnerable through the air than on the ground and from what I've seen of their running backs, they are average. 

Rebel Fan

Quote from: pigsiouxie on September 17, 2009, 08:30:59 am

Does beating Florida and Texas Tech last year count as showing up in a big game?
JUST IMAGINE IF THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BLACK PLAYER MIKE LEACH LOCKED IN THE SHED.  JESSE JACKSON, OPRAH WINFREY, AL SHARPTON YOUR JETS ARE FUELED AND READY FOR DEPARTURE TO LUBBOCK.

stronguard

Quote from: Rebel Fan on September 17, 2009, 10:14:32 am
Does beating Florida and Texas Tech last year count as showing up in a big game?

Just the same as losing to Vandy and Wake does.  And therein lies the problem. 

I guess the pigsiouxie should have said that Hooty consistently fails to show up for the little and medium sized games.  He does have an unusual knack for getting his charges hyped up for the big game.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

SquidBilly

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on September 17, 2009, 08:59:56 am

I'd buy that except Houston got 146 rushing yards against that OSU defense and a 4.1 ypc average.

idochog

Quote from: stronguard on September 17, 2009, 10:19:37 am
  He does have an unusual knack for getting his charges hyped up for the big game.

I tend to disagree, he was 3-13 against Florida, Georgia and Tenn. while at Arkansas, but even if he were to beat a good team, he usually blew 2 or 3 games against teams we should have easily won.
I love Jesus!

Beaverfever

Nutt's problem is and always was that his teams level of play always reflects his emotional level, which can be a great advantage but in general is NOT a good thing. 

pigsiouxie

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 17, 2009, 09:25:19 am
They had 19 season ending injuries last year, and they still managed to go 10-3 with their only losses all to Top 25 teams.

This year, they were around 12-15 in most pre-season polls.  I don't know if they are that good, but they were the consensus No. 2 in the SEC East, and they were consensus No. 5 in the SEC.  After the win over SC, I think No. 2 in the East is about right.  We'll see about No. 5 in the SEC.

Richt has never won fewer than 9 games in a season, and the time he won ONLY 9 games was when he had a true freshman Stafford under center.  I don't quite understand the shots at Richt.  Regardless of what kind of team he has, he always seems to go out and take care of business.  He hasn't gotten to the big game yet, but his teams are consistently strong, which is very difficult to do in the SEC.
Who cant win 9 year in and year out  at Georgia? 

Are you going to forgive HDN's excuses so easily when you'ins wind up in Shreveport this bowl season?

NorthshoreBoar

I think the key is kicking the ball inbounds so they don't get it at the 40 everytime...
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

NorthshoreBoar

September 17, 2009, 11:04:45 am #27 Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:12:10 am by BoaredatWork
Hate to agree with rebelfan, but HDN didn't get fired bc he couldn't win the big games.  His problem was not winning the ones he should...vandy, every bowl game we didn't play texas, etc etc
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

rebelbruiser

Quote from: pigsiouxie on September 17, 2009, 11:02:01 am
Who cant win 9 year in and year out  at Georgia? 

Are you going to forgive HDN's excuses so easily when you'ins wind up in Shreveport this bowl season?

And you qualify as a delusional fan.  I'll give you a brief history lesson on Georgia.

Jim Donnan - 5 years, 2 seasons with 9 or more wins, 0 SEC titles (1 losing season)
Ray Goff - 7 years, 2 seasons with 9 or more wins, 0 SEC titles (only 3 winning seasons)
Vince Dooley - 25 years, 11 seasons with 9 or more wins, 6 SEC titles (3 .500 or worse seasons)

Richt has been the most consistent coach at UGA since integration, and he's won the only 2 SEC titles UGA has had since 1982.  His worst seasons were an 8-4 season in his first season at UGA.  Since that first year, his worst season was a 9-4 season in 2006 with a true freshman QB.  He has won 10 games in 6 of his 8 seasons so far.

And somehow I doubt we end up in the Independence Bowl, but thanks for your concern.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 17, 2009, 11:38:40 am
And you qualify as a delusional fan.  I'll give you a brief history lesson on Georgia.

Jim Donnan - 5 years, 2 seasons with 9 or more wins, 0 SEC titles (1 losing season)
Ray Goff - 7 years, 2 seasons with 9 or more wins, 0 SEC titles (only 3 winning seasons)
Vince Dooley - 25 years, 11 seasons with 9 or more wins, 6 SEC titles (3 .500 or worse seasons)

Richt has been the most consistent coach at UGA since integration, and he's won the only 2 SEC titles UGA has had since 1982.  His worst seasons were an 8-4 season in his first season at UGA.  Since that first year, his worst season was a 9-4 season in 2006 with a true freshman QB.  He has won 10 games in 6 of his 8 seasons so far.

And somehow I doubt we end up in the Independence Bowl, but thanks for your concern.

while ur googlin', how many games did donnan/dooley/guff coached teams play?  how many less than richt's dawgs play now.

kthnx.

PorkSoda

Quote from: BoaredatWork on September 17, 2009, 11:02:23 am
I think the key is kicking the ball inbounds so they don't get it at the 40 everytime...
That might help.  Then again, maybe that was the strategy so that we don't give up TD returns. 

For real though. It's going to be a slug fest, and special teams could very well mean the difference.  I think we have the edge in offense, but they have the edge in defense.  This should definitely be interesting.  I'm a little worried about AJ Green.  That kid can make things happen.  Our secondary is really going to be tested this game, as will Georgia's. 

Honestly I'm just happy that we're going into this game with a areal shot to win.  In the past this game would be chalked up to an automatic "L"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rebelbruiser

September 17, 2009, 01:07:14 pm #31 Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:09:52 pm by rebelbruiser
Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 17, 2009, 11:46:16 am
while ur googlin', how many games did donnan/dooley/guff coached teams play?  how many less than richt's dawgs play now.

kthnx.

If it makes a better comparison for you, I can go by losses, which will put Richt at a disadvantage since he had more opportunities for losses each year.

Jim Donnan - 5 years, 3 seasons with 4 or more losses, 0 SEC titles (1 losing season)
Ray Goff - 7 years, 5 seasons with 4 or more losses, 0 SEC titles (only 3 winning seasons)
Vince Dooley - 25 years, 11 seasons with 4 or more losses, 6 SEC titles (3 .500 or worse seasons)

Richt - 8 years, 2 seasons with 4 or more losses, 2 SEC titles (worst season was 8-4)

The facts say that Richt has been the most consistent coach at Georgia since integration, and you could easily make an argument that he's the best.  Multiply his results times 3 to get him to 24 years, one shy of Dooley, and you have only 6 seasons with 4 or more losses, and 6 SEC titles with no losing seasons and no .500 seasons.

Richt, simply, has been the best coach Georgia has had, as far as results, and the only one that can even mount an argument for being in Richt's league is Dooley, who is a legend at UGA.

By the way, Richt is the only modern coach at UGA to never have lost more than 4 games in a season.  I think he may pass that 4 loss mark for the first time this year with their schedule, but I wouldn't bet against him.

Fact is, you can't say that it's easy to do as well as Richt has at UGA, because before Richt no one won with the consistency he's had.  Only spoiled, unrealistic fans would look at Richt's results and think they were anything but great.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: idochog on September 17, 2009, 10:49:58 am
I tend to disagree, he was 3-13 against Florida, Georgia and Tenn. while at Arkansas, but even if he were to beat a good team, he usually blew 2 or 3 games against teams we should have easily won.

We were really 3-13?  Seemed much worse

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hawgsav1

Quote from: want2be on September 17, 2009, 09:09:29 am

Let's just hope our Defense is as good as OSU and USCe.......I don't like remembering how Coffee along with several other backs busted big runs on us last year....I think our Dline and Backers have an attitude to prove differently this year and with their experience, extra strength and weight, we may be able to bend but not break.

I do too.  Our linebackers will have to be disciplined and tackle hard.  I'm not so much worried about the tackling part, as they are bigger, faster and stronger from last year, but they need to be disciplined enough not to overpursue.  I still remember Coffee going through the giant holes that Alabama's O-line gave him (though our D-line seems bigger, stronger, and more experienced than last year).  However, the worst part was the LBs not cutting off the cutback lanes for the ballcarrier, hence Coffee's long run to give Alabama a 14-0 lead last year.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: BigSexyHog on September 17, 2009, 01:21:41 pm

Nutt NEVER beat Georgia or Florida in his 10 year stint at Arkansas.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawgsav1 on September 17, 2009, 01:33:23 pm
I do too.  Our linebackers will have to be disciplined and tackle hard.  I'm not so much worried about the tackling part, as they are bigger, faster and stronger from last year, but they need to be disciplined enough not to overpursue.  I still remember Coffee going through the giant holes that Alabama's O-line gave him (though our D-line seems bigger, stronger, and more experienced than last year).  However, the worst part was the LBs not cutting off the cutback lanes for the ballcarrier, hence Coffee's long run to give Alabama a 14-0 lead last year.
Yeah we made average backs look like superstars that game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

dotnet

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I seriously doubt that Richt will dress himself as a king of clowns, and make his assistants dress as a clown brigade.

I seriously doubt that Richt will allow raw fear dictate every aspect of his game plan, to the utter detriment of his players and the team.

I seriously doubt that Richt will burn timeouts, call smoke draws that everyone is expecting, and in general have a pee-wee game plan.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

DEVICEHIGH

Quote from: ATLpiggie on September 17, 2009, 10:48:34 am
I'd buy that except Houston got 146 rushing yards against that OSU defense and a 4.1 ypc average.

You don't think OSU is better than Missouri State?
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

G-HOG

We are not the same team as last year, we don't really know what will happen on Saturday.
We have better athletes now, are stronger, faster and most importantly, they now know the play book! I remember hearing on a Hogs uncut video ( I think it was Broadway ) say something to the effect, that they are no ones cupcake any more.I really believe that these guys have something to prove.

They are HOGS with an attitude, and we know how dangerous they can be.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 17, 2009, 10:12:46 am
Idk why they'd do that.  From most indications this hog defense is more vulnerable through the air than on the ground and from what I've seen of their running backs, they are average. 

Don't know about their RB's but their line is much better than average and deep as well.  If they have some success with the running game we will have to start "helping out" at the LOS.  If that happens, the passing game will work for them.  We need to stop the run without having to load the box.

hawgsav1

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 17, 2009, 01:41:08 pm
Yeah we made average backs look like superstars that game.

Yeah, Coffee looked like Darren McFadden against our defense. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Sivad

What "Houston Nutt Gameplan" ?
Never been able to detect that he even has one, just jumping up, down all over the sidelines like a chicken with his head cut off. Eating his fingernails. Wasting timeouts. Looking like he is about to vapor lock because he does not have one clue about what to do next.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: BigSexyHog on September 17, 2009, 01:21:41 pm

I think it was. We only beat the little orange twice and never toppled Florida or Georgia.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 17, 2009, 11:38:40 am

Richt has been the most consistent coach at UGA since integration, and he's won the only 2 SEC titles UGA has had since 1982.
why do I get this squeamish feeling in my stomach when an Ole Miss REBEL starts lecturing on post-integration history ??  for some strange reason burning crosses and hoods come to mind when I see the terms Ole Miss and integration in the same sentence
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 17, 2009, 02:47:01 pm
why do I get this squeamish feeling in my stomach when an Ole Miss REBEL starts lecturing on post-integration history ??  for some strange reason burning crosses and hoods come to mind when I see the terms Ole Miss and integration in the same sentence

I'll admit.  We don't have a ton to brag about in recent history.  I'm just saying it's crazy to say that Richt underachieves or that anyone could do what he's done at UGA.  People seem to forget what Georgia was before he got there.  They were always a good program, but he's done a better job than anyone else before him.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 17, 2009, 02:55:50 pm
I'll admit.  We don't have a ton to brag about in recent history.  I'm just saying it's crazy to say this about Richt underachieves or that anyone could do what he's done at UGA.  People seem to forget what Georgia was before he got there.  They were always a good program, but he's done a better job than anyone else before him.
you are preaching to the choir on this one....Richt is a top shelf coach and I'm not just saying this because we are playing them on Saturday....however, Richt likely gets more respect from his opponents than he is currently getting from his own fans, of course that could change if UGA beats ARK this weekend simply because most in the state of George hate our coach because he was forced to leave Atlanta early while he was coaching the Falcons....I really wish they would consider that Jeff Long put an ultimatum on Petrino because Long wanted an immediate commitment.....after all, in the end, both the Falcons and the Hogs came out much better.....we didn't have to continue our coaching search and the Falcons got a coach who is having success in the NFL
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

woopigsooie89

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on September 17, 2009, 01:48:16 pm

I think he was trying to say if Houston can run more on OSU than Georgia, then maybe their rushing attack isn't all that great.. Time will tell..

ferrellhog

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 17, 2009, 08:54:51 am
Sadly, I think this gameplan will work. I'm not sold on our d-line being able to not get blown off the line. I'm also doubting Robinson's ability to call a good game. He's a decent position coach but a second rate d-coordinator.
Couldnt disagree with you more .Having maybe 3 usable defensive backs and 1 real dt is what hurt willy last year Im willing to give him this year to right the ship

SquidBilly

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on September 17, 2009, 01:48:16 pm

OSU as a team is better but their defense is suspect at best.