Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cobbs commits to Vols.

Started by Erockster20, September 14, 2009, 10:58:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Hawgins

what scares me is 3 or 4 years down the road with that stacked of a roster.  i think kiffin is an idiot but if they get a coach to replace him that can motivate, they could be pretty solid.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Hawgvillain

They are going to be the new Miami, IMO.  They are bringing in tons of talent but I think their coaching is incompetent and they are getting tons of guys that have character issues and that other programs back off of.

Clint Alan

Cobbs has been committed to TN for a while......he just now came public with it
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

kingofdequeen

who wouldn't want to play for these two?

not original...but deserving of a retread

LRCentralTiger

September 14, 2009, 12:52:28 pm #5 Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:45:09 am by LRCentralTiger
Quote from: Hawgvillain on September 14, 2009, 12:25:35 pm
They are going to be the new Miami, IMO.  They are bringing in tons of talent but I think their coaching is incompetent and they are getting tons of guys that have character issues and that other programs back off of.
You saw what happened to the character issues when Kiffin arrived.  Out the door they went.  Something like a dozen kids left.  Evidently he is not going to put with the bull.

Back off?  Look at the schools listed who have offered these kids.  You don't see many S. Miss, La Tech, SMU, Tulsa, etc.

If Tennessee's defense has incompetent coaching show me 10 schools who are better.  The OC is the sam guy who help develop Drew Brees.  I would not consider that incompetent.  Look at the names with NFL experience.

Here is something I posted earlier: 

Have you heard of Eddi Gran (Auburn, running back galore)?  How about Lance Thompson (Saban's LB Coach at LSU and Bama)?  Jim Chaney (Drew Brees, Purdue coach and NFL)?  Orgeron (Not a head coach but one of the top D line coaches in the game).  Then add Monte for the icing.  Little Kiffin just needs to let these guys coach and recruit. 

Beaverfever

the only thing we can do now is start winning games.  We are clearly getting beat in recruiting this class. 

The Realist

Tennessee hasn't had one off the field issue since Kiffin arrived...and 9 months without an incident for the Vols is unheard of. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 14, 2009, 01:46:34 pm
the only thing we can do now is start winning games.  We are clearly getting beat in recruiting this class. 

What are you talking about?  We just got a comittment today from a kid that picked us over Toledo that isnt even in the Rivals or Scout database!   Getting beat in this recruiting class?  pshah!

newera

I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

RazorBassin

Not what I was wanting to hear.

3kgthog

Kiffin can't coach and neither can Orgeron. They can get all the recruits they want, but Florida is going to keep beating them like a redheaded stepchild.

ALLVOL

Some of u are way off. Judging what this staff does in the future by this year is a huge mistake.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 14, 2009, 01:52:47 pm
What are you talking about?  We just got a comittment today from a kid that picked us over Toledo that isnt even in the Rivals or Scout database!   Getting beat in this recruiting class?  pshah!
You guys just dont get it do you? trust CBP and his coaches. did they not prove last year they know what they are doing when it comes to recruiting?this is going to be another outstanding class.

heathtits

Save the knee jerk reaction you fools.

We are not the type of team who is going to get a ton of guys before January. We just aren't. Especially not after a 5-7 season.

Wait till April to start the sky is falling nonsense. It's unbelievable how short sighted people are and how soon they forget how we utterly KILLED it in the late period last year.

forrest city joe

Quote from: heathtits on September 14, 2009, 06:10:20 pm
Save the knee jerk reaction you fools.

We are not the type of team who is going to get a ton of guys before January. We just aren't. Especially not after a 5-7 season.

Wait till April to start the sky is falling nonsense. It's unbelievable how short sighted people are and how soon they forget how we utterly KILLED it in the late period last year.
Bingo! right on the money.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 14, 2009, 01:52:47 pm
What are you talking about?  We just got a comittment today from a kid that picked us over Toledo that isnt even in the Rivals or Scout database!   Getting beat in this recruiting class?  pshah!

If he starts racking up major BCS offers as his season rolls on and he becomes a highly rated or highly sought after player, will you still think this is terrible recruiting?  Seriously, what from the 2009 class makes you think this staff doesn't know what it is doing?  Or how about how they closed the 2008 class in such a short time period?  Get real!
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Music City Hog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 14, 2009, 06:40:09 pm
If he starts racking up major BCS offers as his season rolls on and he becomes a highly rated or highly sought after player, will you still think this is terrible recruiting?  Seriously, what from the 2009 class makes you think this staff doesn't know what it is doing?  Or how about how they closed the 2008 class in such a short time period?  Get real!

Hope we can do it again!  Of course there are only 9-10 spots left according to most.  Hope we dont fill them all with the guys that say no to Toledo.

island hog

his speed isn't too impressive unless they want to add 30 lbs and move him to middle lb

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 14, 2009, 07:28:29 pm
Hope we can do it again!  Of course there are only 9-10 spots left according to most.  Hope we dont fill them all with the guys that say no to Toledo.

So you're saying we shouldn't offer anyone Toledo offers?

Rocky&Boarwinkle

No, but we should wait until Louisiana Monroe and Middle Tennessee State make their offers too.   ;)

CoonHog1971

I sure do wish we might have tried to get that DT they signed yesterday.

This is pretty good. They lose and sign 3 good players the very next day.

Music City Hog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 14, 2009, 08:47:19 pm
So you're saying we shouldn't offer anyone Toledo offers?

No, Im not saying that.  I am just saying if most of our commits are choosing between Arkansas and Toledo then we arent keeping up with the Joneses.  We are being outrecruited by Vanderbilt at this point.

Even if you think rankings and stars mean absolutely nothing, There has to be something to the other offers a prospect holds.  The coaches in the SEC are probably the greatest collection of college football coaches any conference has seen ever.  If 11 of them ( not to mention every other BCS conference coach) dont offer a kid then am I supposed to get excited?  If there is a 2 star player or 0 star player that holds offers from Bama, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. then I am jumping out of my skin with excitement.  But we should not be anyone's only offer with Toledo.  We just shouldnt.   If you go back and read my other posts I question the same thing with the 4* QB Tennessee just got a comittment from.  I questioned why his only offers were Tennessee and San Diego St.  Same situation.  I wouldnt be that excited about Bray, a 4* star QB, comitting to us if San Diego St were his only other option.

Listen, forget this Smith kid.  I am not talking about him personally.  He may be a great player.  I have never seen him or know anything about him.  I am speaking in generalities about any high school prospect that fits this scenario.  I already mentioned another on from another school.

jonesark™

you can lie to yourself all you want......give them a few years with all these recruits.......they are going to be hard to beat.

kiffin can recruit with the absolute best of them.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 14, 2009, 09:04:39 pm
Listen, forget this Smith kid.  I am not talking about him personally.  He may be a great player.  I have never seen him or know anything about him.  I am speaking in generalities about any high school prospect that fits this scenario.  I already mentioned another on from another school.

That's the point.  You've never seen this kid, nor do you know anything about him.  Why isn't he receiving multiple offers?  Maybe this could be another Jerry Mitchell incident, where he just didn't send film (or a DVD) to a lot of schools.  Who knows, someone might have stumbled on this kid while watching someone they're after or some other scenario.  He may have offers he isn't talking about.  Oden reportedly had over a dozen offers, he just didn't name who they were from.  This staff has offered several players a week or two before some other SEC coaching staffs have done the same thing.  When Orr committed, people were complaining that his other big offer was Vandy.  Well, Auburn offered and how people are freaking out because they might flip him.  What changed in regards to Orr's ability?

Music City Hog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 14, 2009, 09:18:54 pm
That's the point.  You've never seen this kid, nor do you know anything about him.  Why isn't he receiving multiple offers?  Maybe this could be another Jerry Mitchell incident, where he just didn't send film (or a DVD) to a lot of schools.  Who knows, someone might have stumbled on this kid while watching someone they're after or some other scenario.  He may have offers he isn't talking about.  Oden reportedly had over a dozen offers, he just didn't name who they were from.  This staff has offered several players a week or two before some other SEC coaching staffs have done the same thing.  When Orr committed, people were complaining that his other big offer was Vandy.  Well, Auburn offered and how people are freaking out because they might flip him.  What changed in regards to Orr's ability?

First of all, I dont think Auburn has offered Orr, which is why he is still committed to us.  Orr did have an SEC offer, and from a team that is doing well recruiting (for them).  Orr also fits a big time need which is different.  He isnt  another 6'2'' 180 kid. 

Of course I havent seen Smith play.  Its not my full time to job to see him play.  But there alot of people that offer scholarships to kids whose full time job it is to see him play.  You think Arkansas and Toledo are the only schools of the over 100 that know about him?  And when Meyer, Saban, etc now know about him because they see he commits to Arkansas that they will now go see him and offer?

I will cheer for Smith as passionately as I do for Winston or any other Razorback once he has that beautiful Hog on his helmet.  But the fact is if recruiting continues on the same course that it is now then we will be next to last in the SEC in recruiting by anyones standards...Rivals, Scout, ESPN, etc.

There is still time though, but slots are running out quickly.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 14, 2009, 09:37:16 pm
First of all, I dont think Auburn has offered Orr, which is why he is still committed to us.  Orr did have an SEC offer, and from a team that is doing well recruiting (for them).  Orr also fits a big time need which is different.  He isnt  another 6'2'' 180 kid. 

Of course I havent seen Smith play.  Its not my full time to job to see him play.  But there alot of people that offer scholarships to kids whose full time job it is to see him play.  You think Arkansas and Toledo are the only schools of the over 100 that know about him?  And when Meyer, Saban, etc now know about him because they see he commits to Arkansas that they will now go see him and offer?

I will cheer for Smith as passionately as I do for Winston or any other Razorback once he has that beautiful Hog on his helmet.  But the fact is if recruiting continues on the same course that it is now then we will be next to last in the SEC in recruiting by anyones standards...Rivals, Scout, ESPN, etc.

There is still time though, but slots are running out quickly.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=306376.0

What has this staff done to make you doubt their recruiting aside from offering players before Scout or Rivals got around to evaluating them?

Petrino is getting kids he offered early, which I have to think is a good thing.  Why don't you wait until we get a little closer to NSD before you declare our recruiting efforts this year to be the doom of the football program?

Music City Hog

September 14, 2009, 09:52:12 pm #27 Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:59:50 pm by Music City Hog
Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 14, 2009, 09:43:11 pm
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=306376.0

What has this staff done to make you doubt their recruiting aside from offering players before Scout or Rivals got around to evaluating them?

Petrino is getting kids he offered early, which I have to think is a good thing.  Why don't you wait until we get a little closer to NSD before you declare our recruiting efforts this year to be the doom of the football program?

This staff did a great job recruiting last year.  The best I have seen from a Razorback staff in a loooong time.  I loved it and think last years class will be huge in turning around Razorback football.   Filled needs and did it with players alot of big time schools wanted. 

This year however, it hasnt been as great.  It just hasnt.  But its not over yet.  We might use the last 8-10 on studs.  I never said ANYTHING about this class being the "doom of our football program".  That is you being dramatic and making things up.

I just call it the way I see it.  If something is good I say it is good and offer praise.  If something isnt so good, I point that out too.  I have no agenda here other than to state my opinion.  Last year my opinion was very high!  I hope it is again in February.  Im a Petrino guy.   From what I have seen on and off the field I am sold.  I just want thim to have sufficient enough bullets in the gun to take out other SEC schools.

Regarding Orr, still havent seen anything that says Auburn has offered.  Vandy is his other SEC offer.  I could be wrong about this and just missed it.  But that thread you posted didnt clear anything up.  Like I said, maybe I missed an Auburn offer to him, I was wrong one time before :)

heathtits

Quote from: jonesark™ on September 14, 2009, 09:17:31 pm
you can lie to yourself all you want......give them a few years with all these recruits.......they are going to be hard to beat.

kiffin can recruit with the absolute best of them.

Yeah just like Orgeron at Ole Miss.

The knee jerking is embarassing.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 14, 2009, 09:52:12 pm
This staff did a great job recruiting last year.  The best I have seen from a Razorback staff in a loooong time.  I loved it and think last years class will be huge in turning around Razorback football.   Filled needs and did it with players alot of big time schools wanted. 

This year however, it hasnt been as great.  It just hasnt.  But its not over yet.  We might use the last 8-10 on studs.  I never said ANYTHING about this class being the "doom of our football program".  That is you being dramatic and making things up.

I just call it the way I see it.  If something is good I say it is good and offer praise.  If something isnt so good, I point that out too.  I have no agenda here other than to state my opinion.  Last year my opinion was very high!  I hope it is again in February.  Im a Petrino guy.   From what I have seen on and off the field I am sold.  I just want thim to have sufficient enough bullets in the gun to take out other SEC schools.

Regarding Orr, still havent seen anything that says Auburn has offered.  Vandy is his other SEC offer.  I could be wrong about this and just missed it.  But that thread you posted didnt clear anything up.  Like I said, maybe I missed an Auburn offer to him, I was wrong one time before :)

This year's class is heavy on linemen, which is definitely addressing needs.

Fair enough, you didn't say it was the doom of the program.

I still am not convinced that we aren't recruiting the athletes we need.

For instance, Orr has been offered by Auburn.
http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=4404679

Brown was down to us and Bama, and I'd say they do okay as far as defensive talent.  Jackson's offer list includes Auburn, Ole Miss, and Vandy, and Hefley's offers include Oklahoma State.  That's some of our prospective defensive players.

Music City Hog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 14, 2009, 10:26:51 pm
This year's class is heavy on linemen, which is definitely addressing needs.

Fair enough, you didn't say it was the doom of the program.

I still am not convinced that we aren't recruiting the athletes we need.

For instance, Orr has been offered by Auburn.
http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=4404679

Brown was down to us and Bama, and I'd say they do okay as far as defensive talent.  Jackson's offer list includes Auburn, Ole Miss, and Vandy, and Hefley's offers include Oklahoma State.  That's some of our prospective defensive players.

I hope so.  I just want to win!  Hope we can keep Orr.   +1 to you for the nice banter!  In the end, we both are Hog fans!!

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 14, 2009, 10:31:57 pm
I hope so.  I just want to win!  Hope we can keep Orr.   +1 to you for the nice banter!  In the end, we both are Hog fans!!

I agree with you there!  Orr could be a beast if we're able to keep him.

Go Hogs, beat Georgia!

TheArkansasTraveller

Florida will knock these vols down a notch or 5 this weekend. 

Cresthog

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on September 14, 2009, 12:52:28 pm
You saw what happened to the character issues when Kiffin arrived.  Out the door they went.  Something like a dozen kids left.  Evidently he is not going to put with the bull.

No, they came in the door. Go research Vol player Daniel Hood. Who Kiffin gave a scholarship to after he was charged with raping his cousin with a foreign object.

Sick [CENSORED] bastard

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Cresthog on September 15, 2009, 10:49:43 am
No, they came in the door. Go research Vol player Daniel Hood. Who Kiffin gave a scholarship to after he was charged with raping his cousin with a foreign object.

Sick Franking bastard

Is he any good at basketball?

kingofdequeen

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 15, 2009, 11:09:41 am

zing!

every reader thought that, too.  you just happen to have the stones to bring it.

well done. +1

The Realist

Sick Franking bastard
I know who you are and you know who I am so this isn't just someone spouting off useless information.  The guy who actually did it is in prison right now.  He was a 13 year old accomplice because he was in the room while it happened.  The victim even wrote a letter to Kiffin asking that he be admitted and Kiffin interviewed like 20 people including his principals, teachers, extended family, etc before making a decision.  Pretty sure if she isn't objecting, nobody else should even have a voice in it. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

LRCentralTiger

Sick Franking bastard
I heard an interview with Hood you need to hear.  If a kid is ever remorseful for something bad he was involved in, he is.  Besides, read the story again.  Hood was 13 and the girls 17 year old boyfriend is the one who raped her.  Hood did not stop the situation and let it happen which was wrong on his part.  Also the girl (cousin) came forward in Hood's defense and wrote a letter to Kiffin forgiving Hood and they were now talking with each other as well as the mother of the girl.  Very interesting.  Who should know better but the mom.  That was what changed Kiffin's mind to give Hood a scholarship.  Don't think for a minute, if you do, that this kid will be on the street at the first sign of trouble.

The kid has been given a second chance and it is totally up to him to stay straight.  If not, bye.

This was thoroughly discussed on this board months ago.  I suggest you go find the thread and read it.

The Realist

And I'm not gonna lie...there are some straight goons on UT's team who would have been running wild under Fulmer...
But Kiffin has them looking at football like a business now, on top of the fact they know exactly what will happen with Kiffin and Orgeron if they got arrested and would not dare cross them because they saw 11 of their teammates get the boot in the off season
Childs, Gregory.

Cresthog

Quote from: The Realist on September 15, 2009, 01:30:07 pm
I know who you are and you know who I am so this isn't just someone spouting off useless information.  The guy who actually did it is in prison right now.  He was a 13 year old accomplice because he was in the room while it happened.  The victim even wrote a letter to Kiffin asking that he be admitted and Kiffin interviewed like 20 people including his principals, teachers, extended family, etc before making a decision.  Pretty sure if she isn't objecting, nobody else should even have a voice in it. 

fair enough.

found a good article on the situation http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4146057

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 15, 2009, 11:09:41 am

nice job trying to compare someone charged with a sex crime to our basketball players who have not been charged with a sex crime.

Big difference- nothing was illegal about the incident in fayetteville. Good try though.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 16, 2009, 10:53:16 am
nice job trying to compare someone charged with a sex crime to our basketball players who have not been charged with a sex crime.

Big difference- nothing was illegal about the incident in fayetteville. Good try though.

Do you understand the concept of a joke?

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 16, 2009, 01:13:18 pm
Do you understand the concept of a joke?

I honestly do understand jokes on pretty much any subject, but this just happens to be one I take personal because I have seen it happen to a friend. Getting accused of something so horrendous when both parties (or all 4, to make a joke :)) is humiliating and can damage one's reputation permanantly.

Glad to know you were joking though, I just get a lil edgy on the subject.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 16, 2009, 01:36:50 pm
I honestly do understand jokes on pretty much any subject, but this just happens to be one I take personal because I have seen it happen to a friend. Getting accused of something so horrendous when both parties (or all 4, to make a joke :)) is humiliating and can damage one's reputation permanantly.

Glad to know you were joking though, I just get a lil edgy on the subject.

I'm kind of glad that this board is slowly moving past getting pissy and screaming for these guys' heads (VERY SLOWLY), and people are joking about it some.  I get what you're saying, and I'd be pissed off if this happened to me (granted, I wouldn't be in that position, but I digress).  A false accusation can happen to anyone and it can ruin someone's life.  It still amazes me, however, that someone can falsely accuse someone of something with such a serious punishment and there are no consequences for such accusations.  But I digress, big time.