Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Swine's Eye View of the UGA Game

Started by dr__dawggy, September 14, 2009, 08:44:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

56Hog

September 15, 2009, 07:49:11 pm #50 Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:54:41 pm by 56Hog
Quote from: dr__dawggy on September 15, 2009, 06:20:16 am
Are you saying Arkansas has not beaten a ranked team in Fayettville since 1989?

The list represents the key wins in Arkansas conference championship seasons.  Not necessarily the highest ranked teams defeated. 

For instance the 1954 team, the "25 Little Pigs" had top 10 wins over Texas and Ole Miss but the TCU win was the hey to the season.  The '68 Hogs beat undefeated #4 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl but the SMU game was key to the conference title.

The same will be true this year.  Arkansas will defeat higher ranked teams in the weeks to come but Saturday will be the beginning.

BTW, Arkansas has 25 wins all-time vs. the AP Top 10 compared to 30 for Georgia but the Hogs have four upsets of #1 all-time to only one for the Dogs.  Even mighty Notre Dame has only beaten #1 8 times in history.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

dr__dawggy

Quote from: 56Hog on September 15, 2009, 07:49:11 pm
The list represents the key wins in Arkansas conference championship seasons.  Not necessarily the highest ranked teams defeated. 

For instance the 1954 team, the "25 Little Pigs" had top 10 wins over Texas and Ole Miss but the TCU win was the hey to the season.  The '68 Hogs beat undefeated #4 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl but the SMU game was key to the conference title.

The same will be true this year.  Arkansas will defeat higher ranked teams in the weeks to come but Saturday will be the beginning.

BTW, Arkansas has 25 wins all-time vs. the AP Top 10 compared to 30 for Georgia but the Hogs have four upsets of #1 all-time to only one for the Dogs. Even mighty Notre Dame has only beaten #1 8 times in history.

And one of the times Notre Dame failed to defeat a number 1 team was vs UGA in the 81 Sugar Bowl. Dawg bless Hershel Walker.  ;)

dr__dawggy

Quote from: hawgbawb on September 15, 2009, 11:43:23 am
Petrino was pilloried and abused by the Gawja press after he took the Arkansas job. Much of it was over the top and unfair.  It's payback time.

The Falcons are not the Bulldawgs. Most Georgia fans could care less about Petrino one way or the other. Comprende?

GolfnHog

Dr_dawgy, got to hand it to you my friend, you come in here banter with the best of Hogville, keep a great perspective of all things and hope you stay around after this weekend's game in which our beloved Hogs put a tusk up the backside of Uga's better side! The one thing that I'm holding to is the fact that the Hogs hold history on their side as it relates to years that end in "9". We've always been very stout in those years and I hope that remains the case this year and it starts w/ those pups from down the road south of here.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

HF_Mudd

Quote from: TxRzrbak on September 16, 2009, 12:31:00 pm
The one thing that I'm holding to is the fact that the Hogs hold history on their side as it relates to years that end in "9". We've always been very stout in those years and I hope that remains the case this year and it starts w/ those pups from down the road south of here.
Quote from: TxRzrbak on September 16, 2009, 12:31:00 pm

You know, you have a point there!

Why not, I'll buy in....I like this logic as well as the standard fare and history backs us up.

Tell Mark that Bobby's coming and he's bringing hell with him.
And so it is, my friend....