Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nutt comments on the Rebels #5 ranking.

Started by 56Hog, September 13, 2009, 05:42:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

56Hog

* Ole Miss jumped to No. 5 in the Associated Press poll and No. 6 in the USA Today coaches' poll. One has to wonder if the Sports Illustrated curse is beginning to take hold of some teams. For the college football preview section, SI previewed four teams with a chance to be a darkhorse title contender — Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Oregon and Penn State. Two of those teams - Oklahoma State and Oregon - have already lost. Nutt, as expected, didn't care too much about the news that UM was a Top 5 team in one poll. Said Nutt: "It's a lot of wasted energy. Let's just go play."

Might be the truest words he's ever spoken.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=5b4ec637f7b54961a37c5c1ac670829d&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a5b4ec637f7b54961a37c5c1ac670829dPost%3addb02299-fa1d-409c-8124-9481a1a29871&sid=sitelife.clarionledger.com

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Eddie Piggard

September 13, 2009, 05:43:42 pm #1 Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:43:23 pm by Eddie Piggard
wow! I'm impressed with those comments, really.

maybe he is taking some Petrino common sense classes....
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

56Hog

Quote from: Eddie Piggard on September 13, 2009, 05:43:42 pm

maybe he is take some Petrino common sense classes....

Maybe he knows that for a highly ranked team the Coached by Houston Nutt Curse is even worse than anything SI can impose.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Eddie Piggard on September 13, 2009, 05:43:42 pm

maybe he is taking some Petrino common sense classes....

So far, I think he's handled the hype about as well as you could expect, at least in what he's said with the media and how he's handled the team.  I still don't think we're quite Top 5 material, but if we aren't, it's not because the team or coaching staff is going to play overconfident this year.

Pecos Hog

You know, he probably hates it....too much expectation too soon.     Deep down he knows he's going to flame out.    Now it's going to happen a few years early than he thought when he took the job.   

Pecos Hog

Also from the Clarion Ledger......As for Southeastern Louisiana, which is a FBS (formerly known as I-AA) team, Nutt said Ole Miss obviously had better athletes, but that was no reason to take the Lions lightly. Said Nutt: "This ball bounces so funny and you have to be ready every single game."

When have you ever seen Nutt actually ready for any game?   I'm trying to remember one.   

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 13, 2009, 08:01:06 pm
Nutt said Ole Miss obviously had better athletes, but that was no reason to take the Lions lightly. Said Nutt: "This ball bounces so funny and you have to be ready every single game."
[/i]
When have you ever seen Nutt actually ready for any game?   I'm trying to remember one.  
Sorry, I can't help you.
Never saw him prepared for any game ever.

56Hog

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 13, 2009, 07:59:15 pm
You know, he probably hates it....too much expectation too soon.     Deep down he knows he's going to flame out.    Now it's going to happen a few years early than he thought when he took the job.  

Indeed.  In Houston Nutt's dream world there are no polls to set expectations or measure results.  There's no BCS title game or even a conference championship game. 

But there are sixty bowl games so every coach has a happy Christmas.

cmrhawg

the ball bounces so funny it just messes you up

56Hog

Quote from: cmrhawg on September 13, 2009, 09:35:05 pm
the ball bounces so funny it just messes you up

Being an OSU grad Dale knows whereof he speaks about them "funny" bounces...

STILLWATER — The ball kept bouncing funny — funny strange, not funny ha-ha — and the eager Houston Cougars were more than happy to pounce.

http://newsok.com/article/3400643

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: 56Hog on September 13, 2009, 08:17:37 pm

But there are sixty bowl games so every coach has a happy Christmas.

And all the bowl games are the Cotton Bowl.

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on September 13, 2009, 10:49:04 pm
And all the bowl games are the Cotton Bowl.
you can't spell Cotton without the N and two TT's
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

huggerfrommanila

he was ready for the 2003 texas game.  good times.  i cussed more ut fans that day than most people will in a lifetime. 
"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
James: What an absolutely beautiful day. Warm Sun, beautiful women...
Carl: And the air... is just right... for drinking.  ~Men at Work, 1990
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

rebelbruiser

Quote from: huggerfrommanila on September 14, 2009, 08:29:40 am
he was ready for the 2003 texas game.  good times.  i cussed more ut fans that day than most people will in a lifetime.

His team was ready in his last visit to Vaught-Hemingway as an opposing coach.  That was one of the worst, most embarassing days I can remember for Ole Miss football in my life, for a number of reasons.  The 44-8 loss to Arkansas that occurred on a day when we were trying to kick off a fundraising campaign, a day that we had halftime fireworks....during the middle of the day.....that hit a power line.....that knocked out power on the scoreboard and half the stadium for most of the second half, was one of the most embarassing days I've had as an Ole Miss fan.

The only thing that can compare to it at all is a couple weeks later when Northwestern State came to town, and it was a stretch to say we had 15,000 fans in the seats to watch us have to withstand a 4th quarter rally to narrowly escape with a 7 point win against a mid-level 1AA school.

That was 2007.  I hope that gives some perspective on where we were just two short years ago and therefore why we're so happy to not have to be embarassed to go to a game anymore.

huggerfrommanila

i was at that game.  i remember those fireworks lol.  we were like what the hell.  nobody but hog fans in your stadium at the end of that game.  i have a better memory of that game than most because i got my old charter taken up. 

"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
James: What an absolutely beautiful day. Warm Sun, beautiful women...
Carl: And the air... is just right... for drinking.  ~Men at Work, 1990
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

Sivad

Quote from: Eddie Piggard on September 14, 2009, 12:11:04 am
you can't spell Cotton without the N and two TT's
And you can't spell NITWIT without the N and two T's.

56Hog

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 14, 2009, 08:53:59 am
His team was ready in his last visit to Vaught-Hemingway as an opposing coach. 
His team was ready in his last visit to Vaught-Hemingway as an opposing coach.

Houston Nutt's first four SEC games each year this decade

2000 1-3 Bama(W) UGa(L) USC(L) Auburn(L)

2001 1-3 UT(L) Bama(L) UGa(L) USC(W) plus a near miss against UNLV in the opener

2002 1-3 Bama(L) UT(L) Auburn(W) UK(L)

2003 1-3 Bama(W) Auburn(L) UF(L) OM(L)

2004 1-3 Bama(W) UF(L) Auburn(L) UGa(L)

2005 0-4 Vandy(L) Bama(L) Auburn(L) UGa(L) and gave up 70 to USC to boot

2006 4-0 Vandy(W) Bama(W) Auburn(W) OM(W) but ironically went 0-3 to end the season

2007 1-3 Bama(L) uk(L) Auburn(L) OM(W)

2008 1-3 Vandy(L) UF(W) USC(L) Bama(L)

The facts are inescapable the man's teams are out of the race early almost every year because he doesn't have them ready to play.  Mostly I attribute this to too little contact work in August.

Pecos Hog

Dear Coach McNutt:

I've heard a lot of talk about you from the national sportcasters on the teevee being a great coach.  Where do you feel you should be ranked amongst other great coaches, but past and present?   
Sincerely,
Pecos

ur

His team was ready in his last visit to Vaught-Hemingway as an opposing coach.  That was one of the worst, most embarassing days I can remember for Ole Miss football in my life, for a number of reasons.  The 44-8 loss to Arkansas that occurred on a day when we were trying to kick off a fundraising campaign, a day that we had halftime fireworks....during the middle of the day.....that hit a power line.....that knocked out power on the scoreboard and half the stadium for most of the second half, was one of the most embarassing days I've had as an Ole Miss fan.

The only thing that can compare to it at all is a couple weeks later when Northwestern State came to town, and it was a stretch to say we had 15,000 fans in the seats to watch us have to withstand a 4th quarter rally to narrowly escape with a 7 point win against a mid-level 1AA school.

That was 2007.  I hope that gives some perspective on where we were just two short years ago and therefore why we're so happy to not have to be embarassed to go to a game anymore.
Wait til next year. I have watched all of the SEC West teams play. If Snead goes pro, Lookout cellar.

CampuspostmanHOG

Quote from: 56Hog on September 14, 2009, 08:04:00 pm

2001 1-3 UT(L) Bama(L) UGa(L) USC(W) plus a near miss against UNLV in the opener

2006 4-0 Vandy(W) Bama(W) Auburn(W) OM(W) but ironically went 0-3 to end the season

The facts are inescapable the man's teams are out of the race early almost every year because he doesn't have them ready to play.  Mostly I attribute this to too little contact work in August.

That is a great post. +1

Sivad

Quote from: 56Hog on September 14, 2009, 08:04:00 pm

Telling facts from the decade of an incompetent, lazy, arrogant, prick.

Big Papa Satan

why we're so happy to not have to be embarassed to go to a game anymore.

Oh?  Wait a while.