Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why won't we be the next Tennessee?

Started by Razorfox, September 12, 2009, 10:46:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorfox

I asked the other day who would win this game.  Everyone was pretty convinced that UT was going to kill UCLA based on their first games.  Tennessee and Arkansas both had great offenses against weak opponents.  So who is to say that we won't fold like they did against a better team? 

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

BigSexyHog

UT's QB is not very good.  He may be one of the worst in the SEC.  Our's on the other hand is pretty damm good.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Jborohog09

forrest city joe

Not again! last time i checked TN has no Ryan Mallett, Michael smith or D.J Williams.and they dont have a great coch like CBP. Lane aint no Bobby.

Razorfox

But UT has a great defense with an All-American too.

pigzwillrise

Quote from: Razorfox on September 12, 2009, 10:46:10 pm
I asked the other day who would win this game.  Everyone was pretty convinced that UT was going to kill UCLA based on their first games.  Tennessee and Arkansas both had great offenses against weak opponents.  So who is to say that we won't fold like they did against a better team?
tenn was the favorite in that game... i dont think we're the favorite against GA

iseeredpeople

HOGSWEAT

hawgsav1

Oh man...I can go on like this for YEARS.

Let's first start with the coaches:

1.  Kiffin hasn't proven ANYTHING in his entire career.  As OC at USC, Carroll did not trust him enough to give him full play-calling duties.  Sarkisian was the co-offensive coordinator and QB coach while Kiffy was there.  Granted Kiffin went to Oakland, which is a horrible franchise, but I'm not sure it would have been any different if Kiffin had went anywhere else.  If Kiffin's name was Lane Smith instead of Lane Kiffin, he'd be begging for quarters on the street.  While Kiffy's trash talking was allegedly to get "Tennessee's name on the map", I'm not sure that it did anything except rile up opposing coaches.

Bobby Petrino has taken Louisville to an Orange Bowl.  While his NFL career was pretty unsuccessful, he has a proven track record as a college head coach and as a coordinator.  He doesn't need to needle other coaches to get Arkansas' name on the map. 

2.  QBs.  Why Kiffin told Bryce Petty and Tahj Boyd to take a hike, I will have no idea. Jonathan Crompton is absolutely TERRIBLE.  Ryan Mallett and Tyler Wilson are a billion times better.  For all of Tennessee's vaunted defense, their offense is terrible.

3.  Game.  Tennessee's "impressive" numbers against Western Kentucky were inflated for several reasons.  Crompton was still throwing deep in the 4th quarter against WKU, a team that just this year made it's move to Division 1A.  WKU held them scoreless in the first quarter.  While we didn't score 63 on Missouri State, the game was well in control at the beginning of the game. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Hoggy1

Quote from: Razorfox on September 12, 2009, 10:49:56 pm

Not just all-american, the best defensive player in the nation. Hands down.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: Jborohog09 on September 12, 2009, 10:49:20 pm
two words....Bobby Petrino.

Bingo!  We have a winner.  Petrino spent the offseason preparing his team while Kiffin spent it running his mouth in overdrive.
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

deshahawg

truckfan2009

Quote from: hawgsav1 on September 13, 2009, 02:12:05 am

1.  Kiffin hasn't proven ANYTHING in his entire career.  As OC at USC, Carroll did not trust him enough to give him full play-calling duties.  Sarkisian was the co-offensive coordinator and QB coach while Kiffy was there.  Granted Kiffin went to Oakland, which is a horrible franchise, but I'm not sure it would have been any different if Kiffin had went anywhere else.  If Kiffin's name was Lane Smith instead of Lane Kiffin, he'd be begging for quarters on the street.  While Kiffy's trash talking was allegedly to get "Tennessee's name on the map", I'm not sure that it did anything except rile up opposing coaches.

Bobby Petrino has taken Louisville to an Orange Bowl.  While his NFL career was pretty unsuccessful, he has a proven track record as a college head coach and as a coordinator.  He doesn't need to needle other coaches to get Arkansas' name on the map. 

2.  QBs.  Why Kiffin told Bryce Petty and Tahj Boyd to take a hike, I will have no idea. Jonathan Crompton is absolutely TERRIBLE.  Ryan Mallett and Tyler Wilson are a billion times better.  For all of Tennessee's vaunted defense, their offense is terrible.

3.  Game.  Tennessee's "impressive" numbers against Western Kentucky were inflated for several reasons.  Crompton was still throwing deep in the 4th quarter against WKU, a team that just this year made it's move to Division 1A.  WKU held them scoreless in the first quarter.  While we didn't score 63 on Missouri State, the game was well in control at the beginning of the game.

That.

The Hog

Quote from: deshahawg on September 13, 2009, 04:35:59 am
I think that our offense will be fine.
I am not worried at all about our offense because that is Petrino's known strength.  I am worried about Willy Robinson's defense.  He as yet to prove he is SEC caliber coach on defense.
Automatic RUN!

rzrbackrob

If the Hog defense can just make it difficult for Georgia to score and the Hogs can get some quick scores, the Hogs will avoid Tn's fate.
Good is the enemy of great

ComeonHogs!!!

Let me take a stab.... imagination on offense!!!
State Pride!!!

Hog Fan from Camden

clew

Don't think we'll be running it up the gut on 4th and 2 when our lives depend on it...
Pure as the dawn

The Realist

September 13, 2009, 10:13:52 am #19 Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:17:05 am by The Realist
UT has everything but a QB and an O line.  I said in the off season if they find anything there they will be good...they didn't  Off of 3 of the turnovers...UT's defense yielded 9 plays for 7 yards and 3 points which basically says their D saved them time after time.  Crompton completed 5 straight passes between the 2nd and 3rd quarter...the problem is 3 of them were to UCLA players.  It takes effort to be that horrible.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

LSPRazorbac

UT in first year of new staff

Arkansas is in 2nd year of new staff (remember how bad we were last year)

Also Kiffin is not the playcaller Petrino is.

hogfanforever

That QB is not ready for the SEC. Not good at making decisions on the field. The only thing I saw that impressed me was Eric Berry. He is a beast.
"One of these days its gonna get right and when it does I AM GOING to be scary for a lot of people"

Beaverfever

You're asking why we think we're going to win?  uhhhhh probably because this is a razorback board and we're all big time homers.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogfanforever on September 13, 2009, 11:11:50 am
That QB is not ready for the SEC. Not good at making decisions on the field. The only thing I saw that impressed me was Eric Berry. He is a beast.

Montarrio Hardesty is also a beast at RB.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

want2be

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 13, 2009, 11:34:02 am
Montarrio Hardesty is also a beast at RB.

One great back can't get it done.........Example Mike Smith last year was great. Hardesty is good, but he can't carry them and neither could Smith last year.

MajorLance

Tennessee was not the Tennessee of old yesterday, and my wife even questioned some of their play calling.  Arkansas is not the Arkansas of old, and I can't imagine a better play calling coach than who we have.

Had the Razorbacks been in Knoxville yesterday the Vols would have lost by a greater margin.
People are strange when you're a stranger...

Porkahontas

Quote from: hawgsav1 on September 13, 2009, 02:12:05 am

Everything you said here is money. Kiffin has proven zero in the college game. Just because you came from the pros doesn't always make you a great college coach. See Virginia, Nebraska, A&M (unless Sherman turns it around real quick), and a few other schools that took a NFL coach just because the guy was an NFL coach and got bit on the ass in doing so.

Petrino had huge success as a head coach in college. Kiffin had huge success as a coordinator in college. Neither panned out in the pros. Tennessee is basically working with a totally unproven commodity right now as a head coach with a "best money can buy" staff around him to help him until he learns on the job or to make up for his weaknesses.

Still think Kiffin won't make it 3 years at Tennessee but he'll have a team that'll be ready to win like Ole Miss was when Orgeron was fired when he is let go. He can recruit but recruiting doesn't mean anything if you can't coach the kids to win or you take on character issues where the kids don't stick around more than 2 or 3 years for legal problems, bad advice, grades, things like that.

benbrown

Quote from: Razorfox on September 12, 2009, 10:49:56 pm
Defense wasn't the problem in that game. UTs defense played better than the score lets on. We would have lit that UCLA defense up for at least 35.

jgphillips3

Why won't we be UT?  Simple.  That was some terrible play calling and offensive execution.  Thank God we didn't wind up with Kiffin.  Tennessee looked just as lame as Oakland did when he was there.  FOUR, count them, FOUR straight runs on first and goal.  Did HDN sneak in to call the plays?  I hate to see SEC teams lose to non-conference opponents and that was an awful game.  You will see a MUCH better performance from our Hogs.  Win or lose, it won't look like that.

The_Iceman

Razorfox

All that sounds good to me.  I just wanted to spark the conversation because Tennessee was saying the same things we are after their first game for the same reasons that we're saying them.

HAWG FAN 55

Quote from: pigzwillrise on September 12, 2009, 10:50:43 pm
tenn was the favorite in that game... i dont think we're the favorite against GA
-------------
I wouldn't really care if arkansas wasn't the favorite for any game the entire season, because arkansas loves being the underdog.

razorbackkid

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 13, 2009, 03:11:18 pm
Why won't we be UT?  Simple.  That was some terrible play calling and offensive execution.  Thank God we didn't wind up with Kiffin.  Tennessee looked just as lame as Oakland did when he was there.  FOUR, count them, FOUR straight runs on first and goal.  Did HDN sneak in to call the plays?  I hate to see SEC teams lose to non-conference opponents and that was an awful game.  You will see a MUCH better performance from our Hogs.  Win or lose, it won't look like that.

My thoughts exactly.....horrid play calling.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

daBoar

Quote from: hogfanforever on September 13, 2009, 11:11:50 am
That QB is not ready for the SEC. Not good at making decisions on the field.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is very funny; he's a senior.

The Realist

Crompton is literally the worst quarterback I have seen in years. 
Ironic though...TN loses a game at home and they get three 4* commitments today including Demarco Cobbs
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Table Rocker

Quote from: The Realist on September 13, 2009, 07:38:16 pm
Crompton is literally the worst quarterback I have seen in years. 
Ironic though...TN loses a game at home and they get three 4* commitments today including Demarco Cobbs

do any play QB?

losthawg68

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 13, 2009, 11:13:48 am
You're asking why we think we're going to win?  uhhhhh probably because this is a razorback board and we're all big time homers.

i like that.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The Hog on September 13, 2009, 09:06:51 am
I am not worried at all about our offense because that is Petrino's known strength.  I am worried about Willy Robinson's defense.  He as yet to prove he is SEC caliber coach on defense.

I don't know how the guy has failed as a coach... Last year we had guy's on the D who, like you, didn't buy into this guy's system. I think he will have us killing some folks next year...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

The Realist

Quote from: Table Rocker on September 13, 2009, 07:41:42 pm
do any play QB?
They have Bray already in.  Five 4* commitments since Wednesday is a damn good week for any school. 
Childs, Gregory.

huggerfrommanila

"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
James: What an absolutely beautiful day. Warm Sun, beautiful women...
Carl: And the air... is just right... for drinking.  ~Men at Work, 1990
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

arkyvol

Quote from: huggerfrommanila on September 14, 2009, 10:47:41 am
yeah but wasnt crompton a 4 star? lol

no.  he was a five star.  busts happen.  ask mitch mustain.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Realist on September 13, 2009, 10:13:52 am
UT has everything but a QB and an O line. 

I think your O line is OK, maybe not great, but not bad at all.  Until UCLA figured out that the Vols had NO QB, you had a lot of success running the ball inside.  At that point I was very impressed by your O line. 

When UCLA saw they only had to play the run they started crowding the box and that's not your O line's fault. 

If I was a UT fan I'd be very concerned today.  Kiffin had spring practice, fall camp, and one game to get a QB prepared for this game and beyond.  He hasn't come close to doing that.

Compare that to what CBP did with Casey Dick, who I would consider had similar results to Crompton prior to Bobby's arrival, and you see the issue.  The writing should have been on the wall for Kiffin WAY BEFORE Saturday's game about Crompton's incompetence, and he should have come up with a much better plan A than what he showed Saturday.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

LRCentralTiger

September 14, 2009, 12:38:26 pm #42 Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:41:11 pm by LRCentralTiger
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 14, 2009, 11:54:30 am
I think your O line is OK, maybe not great, but not bad at all.  Until UCLA figured out that the Vols had NO QB, you had a lot of success running the ball inside.  At that point I was very impressed by your O line. 

When UCLA saw they only had to play the run they started crowding the box and that's not your O line's fault. 

If I was a UT fan I'd be very concerned today.  Kiffin had spring practice, fall camp, and one game to get a QB prepared for this game and beyond.  He hasn't come close to doing that.

Compare that to what CBP did with Casey Dick, who I would consider had similar results to Crompton prior to Bobby's arrival, and you see the issue.  The writing should have been on the wall for Kiffin WAY BEFORE Saturday's game about Crompton's incompetence, and he should have come up with a much better plan A than what he showed Saturday.
Not in defense of Cropton's inability to play in the SEC but the kid has had 3 or 4 different OC coaches to learn a new offense each time a change was made.  Physically he has all the tools but the mental and emotional side I think are his down fall.

Kiffin knew exactly what he had.  He does not have a QB unless the kid from Texas gets a fair shake at playing and playing soon.  Just watch the game film from last year and it is obvious Crompton is not good and the Texas kid, I don't know.

If Tennessee had run the ball more during the first half and third quarter they would have owned UCLA in the 4th quarter.  When you throw 3 interception it makes a coach lose confidence in a QB and I think by watching Kiffin and the play calling he did just that in the 4th quarter.  UCLA defenders were cramping up and exhausted on that drive Tennessee came up a yard short.  If Tennessee had pounded them more earlier in the game it might have opened up the passing game but Crompton still has to complete the pass.

You can't just manufacture a QB if you do not have one.  Fulmer left the cupboard bare at QB when he departed. Petrino did not do any better with mighty Casey.  Look at the costly turnovers Dick made.  It killed us at times.

arkyvol

i was at the ball game in fayetteville in 06.  ainge was out for the game with a sprained ankle.  i knew it'd be tough, but i had heard about this five star q.b. who turned down a fist full of offers to come to u.t.  i figured he'd get eaten up, but he'd show some good things.  wrong!  he simply can't handle pressure.  once it starts going bad, its over for him.  there was some talk on the west coast about how mustain is prone to throw "mind boggling interceptions" in practice.  crompton saves those for the game.  they retired manning's number in knoxville.  crompton deserves as much.  for every superlative that can be thrown at manning, i can come up with one for crompton.

hawgsav1

Quote from: arkyvol on September 14, 2009, 11:21:20 am
no.  he was a five star.  busts happen.  ask mitch mustain.

Or Kyle Wright.  Or Chris Rix. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

huggerfrommanila

or gary brashears

who knows about qbs.  the nfl guys who do it for a living cant even get it right.  you have to sign one every year, and not just the 5 star guys who think they should be in the nfl already.  although those guys ususally stay away from each other anyway and go to different teams
"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
James: What an absolutely beautiful day. Warm Sun, beautiful women...
Carl: And the air... is just right... for drinking.  ~Men at Work, 1990
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

The Realist

TN played two offensive lineman that are listed as follows....

66 Cody Sullins | 6-1, 260, Jr., 3V
69 Cory Sullins | 6-1, 270, Sr., 3V

Are you serious?  260 in the SEC...jesus.  Can you imagine what Terrence Cody will do them? 
And the problem with Crompton is he looks all-SEC in practices and scrimmages...and then falls apart in games.  That game was the first time Kiffin has seen the Jonathan Crompton that too many Vol fans already know.  The worst part is after the game Crompton said in the locker room "I'm not worried about it, those INTs weren't my fault"  And right after that the rest of the team almost dismembered him in the locker room before the coaches cooled everyone else off....(and I'm not exaggerating that one bit from first hand accounts in the locker room).  Everyone on the team knows Crompton doesn't have it mentally. 
Childs, Gregory.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Realist on September 14, 2009, 01:46:00 pm
TN played two offensive lineman that are listed as follows....

66 Cody Sullins | 6-1, 260, Jr., 3V
69 Cory Sullins | 6-1, 270, Sr., 3V

Are you serious?  260 in the SEC...jesus.  Can you imagine what Terrence Cody will do them? 
And the problem with Crompton is he looks all-SEC in practices and scrimmages...and then falls apart in games.  That game was the first time Kiffin has seen the Jonathan Crompton that too many Vol fans already know.  The worst part is after the game Crompton said in the locker room "I'm not worried about it, those INTs weren't my fault"  And right after that the rest of the team almost dismembered him in the locker room before the coaches cooled everyone else off....(and I'm not exaggerating that one bit from first hand accounts in the locker room).  Everyone on the team knows Crompton doesn't have it mentally. 

I don't know, but I would think one of the key jobs for the HC or even OC would be to spot such issues BEFORE they happen.  But I could be wrong.

Hog Milanese

The Realist

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 14, 2009, 04:43:16 pm
I don't know, but I would think one of the key jobs for the HC or even OC would be to spot such issues BEFORE they happen.  But I could be wrong.
Not much to spot when you were left with that....
All SEC center Josh McNeil is looking at meniscus replacement surgery in December and never playing again so he is trying to get back from a knee scope.  That's why one Sullins is in.  The other was in because the starting guard has a strained achilles and was trying to play through it but couldn't keep going towards the end.  They were left with almost no depth on the OL
Childs, Gregory.