Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dyer at halftime of KARZ telecast last night

Started by ghogbad, September 11, 2009, 08:15:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ghogbad

Did anybody else hear his interview with Aaron last night?

Sounded much more positive for Hogs to me.  Mentioned Auburn, Tenn, & Ole Miss but spent most of the time talking Arkansas when asked about his recruitment.  Said over and over that his contact with the Hog coaches had really picked up lately and he liked the way things were going.  I believe he even indicated he is now developing a relationship with BPetrino.

Any other takes on the interview?

Saw him play last week and he looked better than ever.  He was split wide several times and has always caught the ball well.  Think he would be electric in BP's offense. 

g

hog_fan

Maybe it picked up because the coaches can actually talk to him now. Good to hear though. Coach P will sit down with him and I believe Dyer will be happy and be a Hog.

natehog

Quote from: ghogbad on September 11, 2009, 08:15:17 pm
Did anybody else hear his interview with Aaron last night?

Sounded much more positive for Hogs to me.  Mentioned Auburn, Tenn, & Ole Miss but spent most of the time talking Arkansas when asked about his recruitment.  Said over and over that his contact with the Hog coaches had really picked up lately and he liked the way things were going.  I believe he even indicated he is now developing a relationship with BPetrino.

Any other takes on the interview?

Saw him play last week and he looked better than ever.  He was split wide several times and has always caught the ball well.  Think he would be electric in BP's offense. 

g

That sounds great!  We don't need the publicity of the highest ranked player in the state going elsewhere.  I have confidence that Petrino's professionalism will win him over in the end.  The kid wants to be a hog, but very much wants to be made to feel special.  I think he has said so much that there is a face-saving component now. 

cardinalandwhite

Anyone have a link or transcript?  I'd like to see it!  :D

I don't know what we're so excited about.  It isn't like BP can recruit elite RB talent or anything!  ;)
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

TexHog188

Quote from: natehog on September 11, 2009, 08:46:39 pm
That sounds great!  We don't need the publicity of the highest ranked player in the state going elsewhere.  I have confidence that Petrino's professionalism will win him over in the end.  The kid wants to be a hog, but very much wants to be made to feel special.  I think he has said so much that there is a face-saving component now. 

Petrino's professionalism and one of the nations top offenses...
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

upperdeck_hawg

auburn also has a really good looking true freshman running back. that might have a little to do with it.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Oklahawg

Not to rain on the parade, but I believe Dyer has an advanced understanding of playing the media. He talks up Aubbie when chatting with folks from Alabama. Now, he talks up UA when on in-state TV.

That's shrewd marketing - keep as many people interested as possible. Not sure its smart recruiting practice, as you can really tick off a staff by playing one against the other.

In the end, it means that Dyer and UA are still a viable option. That's good for both parties.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

heathtits

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 13, 2009, 12:05:55 pm
auburn also has a really good looking true freshman running back. that might have a little to do with it.

And what do we have?

He's said numerous numerous numerous times, COMPETITION WILL NOT BE A DECIDING FACTOR. It's all about him and Bobby P.

Bubba's Bruisers

Honestly, I'll be very surprised if Dyer doesn't end up a Hog on NSD.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

razorbackfan

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 13, 2009, 12:20:07 pm
Not to rain on the parade, but I believe Dyer has an advanced understanding of playing the media. He talks up Aubbie when chatting with folks from Alabama. Now, he talks up UA when on in-state TV.

That's shrewd marketing - keep as many people interested as possible. Not sure its smart recruiting practice, as you can really tick off a staff by playing one against the other.

In the end, it means that Dyer and UA are still a viable option. That's good for both parties.

Is that not what all recruits do, they tell the person they are talking to what they want to hear, depending on where they are from.

tconey1

Quote from: razorbackfan on September 13, 2009, 02:17:59 pm
Is that not what all recruits do, they tell the person they are talking to what they want to hear, depending on where they are from.
Not the ones brought up the right way. Tell a person the truth not what they want to hear.

razorbackfan

Quote from: tconey1 on September 13, 2009, 02:21:36 pm
Not the ones brought up the right way. Tell a person the truth not what they want to hear.

You dont follow recruiting much do you?  Read the different articles posted on the same recruit, interviewed by different schools & you'll see what Im talking about.

Yup, and the coaches blow smoke too.  They like to keep several players per position hanging on until the Guy they really want makes up his mind.

razorbackfan

Quote from: 12247 on September 13, 2009, 04:56:54 pm
Yup, and the coaches blow smoke too.  They like to keep several players per position hanging on until the Guy they really want makes up his mind.

This is true also. 

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Patrick on September 13, 2009, 05:16:51 pm
What college back, based on his size and ability, could you most aptly compare Dyer to?

That's tough.  He's 5'9", ~200, and runs a sub 4.40 and sheds tackles like crazy.  He kind of reminds me of a little bit less shifty, more straight-ahead Moreno.

EDIT:  In that he is fast, usually makes one good cut, and is hard to bring down and piles up the YAC.

razorbackfan

Cant believe the thread made it that long without that pointless comment.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on September 13, 2009, 06:27:00 pm
M. Dyer is not a must have for Arkansas, period.

No, but he'd still be a heck of an acquisition!

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 13, 2009, 05:34:18 pm
That's tough.  He's 5'9", ~200, and runs a sub 4.40 and sheds tackles like crazy.  He kind of reminds me of a little bit less shifty, more straight-ahead Moreno.

EDIT:  In that he is fast, usually makes one good cut, and is hard to bring down and piles up the YAC.
i can't think of anyone in college he reminds me of.  i'm thinking maurice jones-drew.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on September 13, 2009, 07:10:36 pm
i can't think of anyone in college he reminds me of.  i'm thinking maurice jones-drew.

That's the problem I had.  Jones-Drew seems to dance more than Dyer.  I want to say he has the straight-forward style of LT to an extent.  DMAC was similar in that he didn't juke much, just one cut then bye bye.  But he ran a 4.27 at the combine too.  Also, it seems like Dyer keeps his legs churning until he hits the ground too, which is a big contributor to his YAC.

justmaybe

h0gfan6

TrumannRazorback24

Quote from: h0gfan6 on September 13, 2009, 08:02:08 pm
Simply incorrect. 
How is that incorrect? 

Dyer is not going to make or break this recruiting class.  RB is not exactly what you would call a position of need right now.

Is Dyer a must? No.  Would Dyer be a heck of an acquisition? Most definitely.

heathtits

Quote from: justmaybe on September 13, 2009, 07:50:23 pm
He seems kind of like Emmit Smith to me.

Way faster and much more of a home run threat than Smith ever was.

Think a lighter (because of his age), Michael Turner of the Falcons.

ballinhog

Dyer reminds me of Jonathan Stewart as far as build and running style...former Oregon running back currently with the Panthers

h0gfan6

Quote from: TrumannRazorback24 on September 13, 2009, 08:23:06 pm
How is that incorrect? 

Dyer is not going to make or break this recruiting class.  RB is not exactly what you would call a position of need right now.

Is Dyer a must? No.  Would Dyer be a heck of an acquisition? Most definitely.

Rofl.  Yeah, instate incredibly highly touted recruit isn't a must.  If you're trying to prepare yourself for not getting him, that's fine, but to call him anything but a must is ludicrous. 

razorbackfan

Yeah, who needs the RB these guys are describing?

jonesark™

cardinalandwhite

What college back, based on his size and ability, could you most aptly compare Dyer to?

You know, he really reminds me of this guy that led the hogs to two straight NC wins in 2011 and 2012, a guy named Michael Dyer.

Hey, it could happen!

The_Boot_stops_here

Dyer IS a must get....but he's a must get almost as much for perception rather than a must get for how much we actually need him in the backfield....sick and tired of the comments from people saying they dont care if we get him and that we dont need him anyway...DUMB statements

trphog

RB may not be a position of need, but, any 5* in state recruit is a must get for a state like Arkansas.

dhornjr1

Tom Lemming said Dyer is "the next Barry Sanders". Take it FWIW.

Porkerpower

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on September 13, 2009, 07:10:36 pm

reminds me of deanglo williams. short stocky fast with some wiggle.  he's a stud back wherever he goes.

seawolf93

Quote from: heathtits on September 13, 2009, 08:30:41 pm
Way faster and much more of a home run threat than Smith ever was.

Think a lighter (because of his age), Michael Turner of the Falcons.

I actually like the Emmit Smith comparison... As a sophomore I played on a team that played against Emmit Smith when he was at Pensacola Escambia... we had a pretty good squad (won the State Championship in Florida the year after Emmit came out)... he carried the ball 7 times for over 200 yards and 4 TDs.  He was plenty fast.

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: trphog on September 14, 2009, 07:19:22 am
RB may not be a position of need, but, any 5* in state recruit is a must get for a state like Arkansas.
I agree. It is a must get regardless of what we have on the Hill.
You can never have enough 5 star talent at a poistion. Also, it would be one less 5 star we will have to face on another team the next 4 years. 

jgphillips3

Don't live and die by his every word.  He is a kid and I would almost guarantee he has no idea where he is going, even if he has preferences.  Arkansas is his home State school and is closer to his family.  Things like that will become increasingly important to him as the time to actually sign gets closer.  Going away for school is "romantic", but most of these kids wind up somewhere close to home unless they are just the kind that wants desperately to be away.  I think our progress on the field this year, Petrino's personal recruiting and being the home State school will be heavy influences on him in the days leading up to NSD.  Doesn't mean we get him, but with in-State kids you never give up until the ink dries.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hog_fan on September 11, 2009, 08:28:10 pm
Maybe it picked up because the coaches can actually talk to him now. Good to hear though. Coach P will sit down with him and I believe Dyer will be happy and be a Hog.
Aren't they only allowed to talk to them at certain times during the year?  Seems like about the time 'the' article was written complaining about the amount of attention he was receiving, it was during a dead period.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Houston h

Dyer needs to come to Arkansas for lots of reasons but the main one being, besides Keith Jackson, have any other players from Arkansas that defected to other schools been recived with open arms upon their return?  I guess you could say Houston Nutt, but that didn't turn out too well for him in the end.  Local players that stay in state and play well, become legends with the state of Arkansas. 

Joe Johnson
Corliss
DMac
Matt Jones
Cobbs

The Boar War

Quote from: trphog on September 14, 2009, 07:19:22 am

Very well stated.

cardinalandwhite

keithh1999

Pig Farmers are cool.

Table Rocker

Hog Jordan

Hog Jordan

that's not rhetorical or baiting. i really don't understand the concept or advantage of a 'silent' commit.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Hog Jordan on September 14, 2009, 10:41:14 pm
that's not rhetorical or baiting. i really don't understand the concept or advantage of a 'silent' commit.

Maybe you want to not get nagged by the home crowd, maybe you're enjoying recruiting too much and want to take visits to schools while it's free.  Who knows?

Kilgor

Quote from: Solomwi on September 14, 2009, 08:46:00 pm
Auburn silent. Move along.

Review this guy's post history.  According to him anyone Auburn offers will commit.  It's dry humor that goes over most people's heads and get them stirred up over nothing.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

duckman

The Pig

Quote from: Solomwi on September 14, 2009, 08:46:00 pm
Auburn silent. Move along.

Then how did you hear it?

You must be using the reliable "ear to the ground" indian trick!

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: duckman on September 15, 2009, 10:28:12 am
Dyer will be a hog, book it..........

If only I were as confident as you...

I like our chances, but there is still the mind of an 18 year old involved here.

PorkSoda

September 15, 2009, 12:46:20 pm #48 Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:55:50 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: Hog Jordan on September 14, 2009, 10:41:14 pm
It's about as binding as a verbal commit, as in not binding at all.  The only thing that matters is the LOI.  Who knows what MD is thinking at any particular moment, but I have faith in our staff and in the end I think MD will be a hog. 

To the we don't need him crowd:  Will arkansas football cease to exist without him? no, but he could also be a vital cog in the razorback machine that has it's sights set on a NC.  I'm sure Florida didn't "Need" Percy Harvin either, but they definately found a use for him.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.