Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC runs wild with 'wildcat' play

Started by kaptainkory, September 10, 2009, 11:00:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptainkory

nosferatu

sickening.

just another example of Nutt and his ego. he just refuses to mention Malzahn's name. and not just in this article. in every single interview about the Wildhog/wildcat/single-wing whatever, he pretty much tries to take credit for it all. and before people start in, yeah, i know Malzahn didn't "invent" the formation, but he did bring it back to life in a big way.
"When you're on the mound and you feel like you can murder someone's soul out there, failure isn't an option." - Brian Wilson

stchane

The author did give credit to Nutt's staff at Arkansas in '06 and '07.  Although not by name, they did give the man some credit, albeit indirectly. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

oklahogjr

well since it was a danny nutt invention i'm not surprised they didn't mention malzahn
lets go bowlin

gumby013

Quote from: oklahogjr on September 11, 2009, 02:17:35 am
well since it was a danny nutt invention i'm not surprised they didn't mention malzahn

I noticed Wildcat is on the Sonic menu board...  Right next to the ice cream.

Silver Hog

3BoarsDown

everyone knows McCluster isn't going to be throwing the ball.

As evidenced in the Memphis game Dexter is going to be overused and run in the ground by the Ole Miss staff.

CoonHog1971

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: nosferatu on September 10, 2009, 11:14:30 pm
sickening.

just another example of Nutt and his ego. he just refuses to mention Malzahn's name. and not just in this article. in every single interview about the Wildhog/wildcat/single-wing whatever, he pretty much tries to take credit for it all. and before people start in, yeah, i know Malzahn didn't "invent" the formation, but he did bring it back to life in a big way.

That's OK. Auburn has OM at home this year, and it will be the first time Malzahn has been on the other side of the field from Nutt. Should be be good drama.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

spudhog

It at least says the staff came up with it. Have read other articles that has HDN as the author of the offense. Which, technically he was the HC when it was used in a game. But, we all know GM ran that in HS and he was the one that brought it to the UOFA.

HDN was here what 8 years before and never ran it before. GM show's up and we are running it. A 4th class detective can figure that one out.

HDN is never going to give GM the props for anything. It doesn't shock me that his answers are what they are. A bit taken back by the writer's who fail to do the proper investigation. Especially with this article being about Bama and GM being in Auburn. Not a hard number to find.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on September 11, 2009, 07:02:47 am
everyone knows McCluster isn't going to be throwing the ball.

As evidenced in the Memphis game Dexter is going to be overused and run in the ground by the Ole Miss staff.

He should get more touches than anyone else on our team.  When you have a player like McCluster, that may be the most dynamic player in the league, you better use him and use him often.  He's no different for us than Percy Harvin was for Florida the last few years.  You have a player like that, even if they are small like McCluster and Harvin, you have to do what you can to get them the ball in space as often as possible.

donewithdale

Quote from: spudhog on September 11, 2009, 08:20:47 am
It at least says the staff came up with it. Have read other articles that has HDN as the author of the offense. Which, technically he was the HC when it was used in a game. But, we all know GM ran that in HS and he was the one that brought it to the UOFA.

HDN was here what 8 years before and never ran it before. GM show's up and we are running it. A 4th class detective can figure that one out.

HDN is never going to give GM the props for anything. It doesn't shock me that his answers are what they are. A bit taken back by the writer's who fail to do the proper investigation. Especially with this article being about Bama and GM being in Auburn. Not a hard number to find.
Poor journalism but expected from the Slander Appeal.

MacHog19

Spudhog, you're right, but the majority of the national sports media fell in love with Nutty Buddy last season (not altogether different than how the national media fell in love with Obama), and fail to make a reasoned effort to really examine him.  The question they never ask themselves is that if Nutt was such an outstanding coach, why didn't he win championships at Arkansas?

As many have posted, they will learn the real answer as time goes on.

spudhog

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 11, 2009, 08:50:02 am
He should get more touches than anyone else on our team.  When you have a player like McCluster, that may be the most dynamic player in the league, you better use him and use him often.  He's no different for us than Percy Harvin was for Florida the last few years.  You have a player like that, even if they are small like McCluster and Harvin, you have to do what you can to get them the ball in space as often as possible.
Totally agree. He's a guy that needs 15-20 touches a game no matter what. He's the one consistent playmaker on that team. He's the straw that stirs the drink, not Snead. They need him to be Dex every week.

He's a joy to watch.

El Puerco Grande

Please tell me South Carolina isn't calling their's the Wildcock.
How 'bout them hogs?

ShadowTheHedgehog

After this year Nutt will claim to have invented the "Pistol" formation.

HoopS

Bruiser, while we all know Dexter is a player and agree he needs touches, your HC has a tendency to overuse a good thing.   You'll be lucky if doesn't end up on the injured list. 

rebelbruiser

Quote from: HoopS on September 11, 2009, 09:36:20 am
Bruiser, while we all know Dexter is a player and agree he needs touches, your HC has a tendency to overuse a good thing.   You'll be lucky if doesn't end up on the injured list.

You may be right just because McCluster has been hurt in the past, had a big shoulder injury his freshman year midway through that cost him half of that season and the first few games of his sophomore year, but he's a pretty tough SOB, and he hasn't missed games for injury since that one shoulder problem.  I'd say anything too far over 20 touches a game would probably be overuse, but he should never have a game where he sees the ball fewer than 10 times, unless we're playing a true cupcake, and in that case he should sit after we get up big.

McCluster did manage to play in all 13 games last year without injury, and he averaged almost 12 touches per game, so I think he should be able to handle 15-17 per game.

El Puerco Grande

Can't stand your HC, but I have to agree that McCluster is a stud.
How 'bout them hogs?

Silver Hog

CollinsvilleHawg

Quote from: spudhog on September 11, 2009, 08:20:47 am

But for the offense to truly be effective...it's a huge bonus for whoever is taking the direct snap to be an adequate passer.

"But what truly makes it a triple threat is to have someone who can run it, hand it and throw it. That offense took off (at Arkansas), because Darren could throw so well."

Why does it sound so much like Matt Jones?  We may have been inadvertantly running it for 4+ years before...our wildcat was just a QB.  hmmmm...

LAHOGG

September 11, 2009, 12:33:12 pm #21 Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:35:29 pm by LAHOGG
Quote from: CollinsvilleHawg on September 11, 2009, 12:22:36 pm
But for the offense to truly be effective...it's a huge bonus for whoever is taking the direct snap to be an adequate passer.

"But what truly makes it a triple threat is to have someone who can run it, hand it and throw it. That offense took off (at Arkansas), because Darren could throw so well."

Why does it sound so much like Matt Jones?  We may have been inadvertantly running it for 4+ years before...our wildcat was just a QB.  hmmmm...

I've thought about Matt Jones running it before too but there are subtle differences.  Like the man in motion(Felix).  If you watched any springdale games the year before Gus came to ark that was often used in their offense.  It was usually D. Williams in motion.  Now that is not a coincidence.  It was Gus' offense.  Now who's idea it was to put Darren back there we may never know as long as Gus keeps his silence.

And you know that Wildcat formation will really produce when some coach figures out he can run it from right to left across the formation just as easy as he can run it from left to right.  Can you just imagine what a revolution that would bring.  That old single wing type formation that was renewed by Malzahn and credited to Hootie and the blowhards does really have a second life.

HoopS

We'll see how many touches he gets.   He shouldn't get many next week, but playing a weakling may or may alter the number of touches.  It should, but we'll see.   I like how we only gave Smith 4 carries last week.  We need to develop more depth and that was a great time to do it.  That was a complaint often logged against Nutt.   We'll see how he handles him. 

DeltaBoy

That OLD Single wing still gets er Done!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: HoopS on September 11, 2009, 12:38:29 pm
We'll see how many touches he gets.   He shouldn't get many next week, but playing a weakling may or may alter the number of touches.  It should, but we'll see.   I like how we only gave Smith 4 carries last week.  We need to develop more depth and that was a great time to do it.  That was a complaint often logged against Nutt.   We'll see how he handles him.

We'll see.  He's also coming off the flu, so I'm betting that he and some others are even further limited than they would normally do.

My rule of thumb is that even in a big blow out, you don't start pulling your starters until after the first series of the 2nd half.  I'm just glad we have an off week this weekend and a gimme game next weekend.  We need it right now.

stchane

Quote from: CollinsvilleHawg on September 11, 2009, 12:22:36 pm

That was the Racehorse formation.  David Lee did bring that with him, as he did when Jones was here.  That was the formation from which Hillis scored from 65-yards out against LSU in '07.
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

HoopS

remind me what the Racehorse formation looks like?

Hornkiller

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 11, 2009, 12:49:22 pm
That OLD Single wing still gets er Done!

funny how this new offensive weapon is something college football has seen for years, just in a new formation and different dressing. Yeah, the running back taking the snap may be new to some, but most option QB's weren't being recruited back in the day for their cannon arm or accuracy. In fact you usually wanted those guys having to take a 7 step drop to pass.

stchane

September 11, 2009, 01:16:14 pm #29 Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:31:34 pm by stchane
Quote from: HoopS on September 11, 2009, 01:13:30 pm
remind me what the Racehorse formation looks like?

O     OOXOOO     O

O  O  O

And there are variations of it.  QB fakes the dive, runs the option.  QB gives the dive (the 65 yard Hillis TD I was talking about)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8dFyIDJOfw&feature=channel_page at 0:54 seconds is a variation of it.  2:04 is another variation.  2:54 is another.  This is also the mid-line option. 

There are 100 good examples of this in my old videos (02 and 03). 

HoopS

Quote from: stchane on September 11, 2009, 01:16:14 pm
O     OOXOOO     O

O  O  O

And there are variations of it.  QB fakes the dive, runs the option.  QB gives the dive (the 65 yard Hillis TD I was talking about)...

thanks.   I just found my old tivo of that game...

here's the formation

TE T G C G T    WR 
                             WR

FJ  Dmac PH

PorkSoda

Quote from: stchane on September 11, 2009, 01:01:39 pm
That was the Racehorse formation.  David Lee did bring that with him, as he did when Jones was here.  That was the formation from which Hillis scored from 65-yards out against LSU in '07.
They used the option with Matt Jones and the shotgun split back set.  I don't even know what the racehorse formation is, but it sounds hokey.

David lee killed the wildcat formation when they took out the "felix in motion" part.  It became largely ineffective after that.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: stchane on September 11, 2009, 01:16:14 pm
O     OOXOOO     O

O  O  O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8dFyIDJOfw&feature=channel_page at 0:54 seconds is a variation of it.  2:04 is another variation.  2:54 is another.  This is also the mid-line option. 

There are 100 good examples of this in my old videos (02 and 03). 

That is the shotgun split back formation.  It is nothing new.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

stchane

September 11, 2009, 02:16:22 pm #33 Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:18:40 pm by stchane
Quote from: PorkSoda on September 11, 2009, 01:38:05 pm
That is the shotgun split back formation.  It is nothing new.

Right... Call it whatever you want to... I think there are a buncha names for it, but this was implemented in 2007 under David Lee, as well as with Matt Jones.  Jones made the whole thing run effectively.  I thought it was more of a gimmick with DMAC running it. 

One of the NCAA games back then had the whole set of plays we'd run with it, which actually was pretty fun if you could execute it right. 

I'm so glad we have a coach who understands the importance of balance.  Not only do we have the power running game still, but we have the passing game to complement it or vice versa.  Not only do we have 1 or 2 backs who can be effective, but we have several, not to mention the plethora of capable WRs... and then there are the QBs.  Its nice to have a coach who understands the game, not just a small portion of the game. 

PorkSoda

Like stchane alluded to, I'm just glad we have a real offense now and don't have to rely on gimmicks.

Rely on gimmick???????  Our best play for years was the busted play because at that point no one knew what was coming or where it would come from.  Everything else we ran was telegraphed, hurried up, not practiced enough to properly run, or run with the wrong personnel in the game.  The busted play was our only friend.  I truly believe our gimmick plays were accidents that sometimes actually worked sort of like the BB player tossing it from beyond halfcourt and getting nothing but net.

stchane

Quote from: 12247 on September 11, 2009, 04:34:21 pm
Rely on gimmick???????  Our best play for years was the busted play because at that point no one knew what was coming or where it would come from.  Everything else we ran was telegraphed, hurried up, not practiced enough to properly run, or run with the wrong personnel in the game.  The busted play was our only friend.  I truly believe our gimmick plays were accidents that sometimes actually worked sort of like the BB player tossing it from beyond halfcourt and getting nothing but net.

Which explains why our team was so inconsistent...

Pecos Hog

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 11, 2009, 08:50:02 am

Nutt will ride him right into the ground.   Don't expect to see McCluster on the field much in November.   Poor kid. 

Pecos Hog

Quote from: 12247 on September 11, 2009, 04:34:21 pm

thank goodness we had 'The Freak' on our side to pull it off.     As Hooty would say "and I called that play...."     Yep, it had his name all over it.     

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 11, 2009, 01:36:50 pmDavid lee killed the wildcat formation when they took out the "felix in motion" part.  It became largely ineffective after that.

Yep.  Early part of the 2007 season I raised fifteen kinds of hell when it didn't work because they took out the motion.

Anybody could see that's what made it work, but the Dork apparently didn't.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: donewithdale on September 11, 2009, 08:50:55 am
Poor journalism but expected from the Slander Appeal.

What do you expect?  It's Ron Higgins.  I still have the paper from the day after the Dork was fired from here.  Higgins blasted the "Springdale mafia" and fell over himself defending Nutt.