Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark vs Tenn recruiting

Started by Music City Hog, September 10, 2009, 11:44:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Laughing Hog

I think if you look at the top, say, 20 recruiting classes on the services and look at the final standings in the polls at the end of the bowl season, you will see a direct correlation in the stars and who ends up at the top of the polls. It's that simple. You still have to go out and do a great sales job and check the validity with your own eyes. Speed at every postion is still king, especially in the SEC. Just go after the best all the time and make the d**m sale!
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Porkyswine

I hate the loser argument that "stars don't matter".  That just makes you look like an idiot homer.  Sure, there are Jamaal Andersons out there, but for everyone of those you find, you have 10 that never see the field and take up a scholly.  If they do see the field, most of the time they get you beat.

Here's the funny part, when we lose a big time recruit, we say stars don't matter.  When we get a 4 or 5 star player, everyone goes crazy about his rivals ranking.  Sour grapes.  CBP had a good year last year -- finally an average class by SEC standards.  This year just isn't going as well - period.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Porkyswine on September 13, 2009, 02:58:42 pm
This year just isn't going as well - period.

You also have to keep in mind that we aren't signing a full 25 scholarships this year.  It's not an excuse, but it certainly could be a reason why we don't have the numbers some seem to be wondering about. 

When it comes to a lot of big name recruits who haven't signed, they often wait until after their season is over and they get to take their officials.  We'll have some big-time recruits stopping by in January and we will sign most of them.  For Arkansas, all it usually takes is getting them on campus.  The Catfish Hole and the Bud usually take care of the rest.   

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Porkyswine on September 13, 2009, 02:58:42 pm
I hate the loser argument that "stars don't matter".  That just makes you look like an idiot homer.  Sure, there are Jamaal Andersons out there, but for everyone of those you find, you have 10 that never see the field and take up a scholly.  If they do see the field, most of the time they get you beat.

Here's the funny part, when we lose a big time recruit, we say stars don't matter.  When we get a 4 or 5 star player, everyone goes crazy about his rivals ranking.  Sour grapes.  CBP had a good year last year -- finally an average class by SEC standards.  This year just isn't going as well - period.

Agree. If stars don't matter why is it that the top ranked recruiting schools always seem to be the top ranked teams at the end of the year?  Talent matters.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on September 13, 2009, 05:28:53 pm
Agree. If stars don't matter why is it that the top ranked recruiting schools always seem to be the top ranked teams at the end of the year?  Talent matters.

Stars don't measure heart.  They don't tell you how special a player is, or how much they love the helmet, or that they just aren't quitters.  Stars don't measure how much of a fighter someone is, or if they're a winner.

EDIT: Or if I can spell.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 10, 2009, 12:23:57 pm
Also coach petrino doesn't go by a star system we do. He judges talent on how it will fit what he is trying to do. Alot of coaches go after players just because they are rated high not by how well they fit their system.
Kool-aid. Trust me, we aren't turning down 4 or 5 *'s
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Pig in the Poke on September 13, 2009, 06:17:04 pm
Kool-aid. Trust me, we aren't turning down 4 or 5 *'s

Anterio Sloan?  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Music City Hog

3 more 4*s to Tennessee today:   WR DeMarco Cobbs, DE Brandon Miller, DE Corey Willis.

That is 12  4*s  if anyone is counting.  You probably aren't, but I can't help but be a little jealous.  I'm ready for us to find number 2 somewhere.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 13, 2009, 07:18:31 pm
3 more 4*s to Tennessee today:   WR DeMarco Cobbs, DE Brandon Miller, DE Corey Willis.

That is 12  4*s  if anyone is counting.  You probably aren't, but I can't help but be a little jealous.  I'm ready for us to find number 2 somewhere.

who cares? if you're so concerned with high rated prospects go root for Tennessee. I'll take 3*'s and Petrino over Kiffin and 4*'s any day of the friggen week.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Table Rocker on September 13, 2009, 07:21:47 pm
who cares? if you're so concerned with high rated prospects go root for Tennessee. I'll take 3*'s and Petrino over Kiffin and 4*'s any day of the friggen week.

Ill take Petrino over Kiffin any day of the week as well.  But Id rather take Petrino with 12   4*s as opposed to Petrino with 12   3*s.    Dont pretend that Petrino evaluated these Tenn commits and decided he just didnt want them. 

Some of you kill me.  It is ok to wish a kid that comitted elsewhere had chosen Arkansas.  It is ok to mention that someone other than Arkansas is having a good class.  It is even ok to admit that there might be a class or two better than ours. 

Petrino has improved recruiting here a ton.  I love what he is doing and has done, but Im not an idiot.  Id trade classes with USC, Florida, Tenn in a second.  Not coaches, but classes.  And you would too.  I hate Tennessee with a passion, especially living here amongst them, but jesus, they are turning in what's gonna be a top 5 class and I happen to be a little jealous that we cant come close to duplicating that.  My feeling that way doesn't make me less of a Hog fan than you or anyone else.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 13, 2009, 08:42:33 pm
Ill take Petrino over Kiffin any day of the week as well.  But Id rather take Petrino with 12   4*s as opposed to Petrino with 12   3*s.    Dont pretend that Petrino evaluated these Tenn commits and decided he just didnt want them. 

Some of you kill me.  It is ok to wish a kid that comitted elsewhere had chosen Arkansas.  It is ok to mention that someone other than Arkansas is having a good class.  It is even ok to admit that there might be a class or two better than ours. 

Petrino has improved recruiting here a ton.  I love what he is doing and has done, but Im not an idiot.  Id trade classes with USC, Florida, Tenn in a second.  Not coaches, but classes.  And you would too.  I hate Tennessee with a passion, especially living here amongst them, but jesus, they are turning in what's gonna be a top 5 class and I happen to be a little jealous that we cant come close to duplicating that.  My feeling that way doesn't make me less of a Hog fan than you or anyone else.

Tennessee has been a more prominent name nationally over the past 10-20 years than Arkansas has, I know that is a tough concept to grasp but please try. Kiffin may be riding Fulmer's coattails but Petrino didn't have that luxury. He has to build our reputation from scratch essentially.

Don't even start with the USC and Florida either.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Table Rocker on September 13, 2009, 08:50:31 pm
Tennessee has been a more prominent name nationally over the past 10-20 years than Arkansas has, I know that is a tough concept to grasp but please try. Kiffin may be riding Fulmer's coattails but Petrino didn't have that luxury. He has to build our reputation from scratch essentially.

Don't even start with the USC and Florida either.

Dude, Im not faulting Petrino for not having a class like USC, Florida, Tennessee, or anyone else.  I am just saying I wish we could have one of those classes. I know it isnt going to happen and I know th many reasons why.   I am not criticizing Petrino at all.  He is unbelievable and exceeding all my expectations.  I was just pointing out that Tenn's class is impressive and I WISH we could pull those in.

I also wish I would have won the power ball, but I know it isnt gonna happen and I know the reasons why.  Doesnt mean I still dont wish I could it.    :)

LSUWHO

ARK never has and never will get the caliber of athletes as Tenn, sorry

ChicoHog

I don't think Fulmer would have half the recruits the current Tenn staff has.  Young, egotistical kids like young egotistical coaches like Kiffin and of course he has a proven staff with him.  We just have to do better on the field because we will not get the classes Tenn or UF does.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: LSUWHO on September 13, 2009, 09:55:24 pm
ARK never has and never will get the caliber of athletes as Tenn, sorry

That's the spirit!  You don't think they had elite talent in '64?

heathtits

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 13, 2009, 11:04:31 pm
That's the spirit!  You don't think they had elite talent in '64?

"Back in 82'....."

Jim Harris

Quote from: linze82 on September 10, 2009, 01:04:55 pm
tinnr went out and got got a staff taylor made for recruiting. this is expected. what's not known is if any of them(besides monty) can coach.

As I said about Ole Miss three years ago, and to paraphase subbing LKiffin for Orgeron, whoever gets the job after Kiffin is going to have some great talent to win with.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The Realist

They have four 5 stars according to scout and the #3 overall class.  If Arkansas could get that talent with the way we have been competitive with lesser talent...you tell me what happens.  Of course we want those recruits
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

PeytonManningSUCKS

I think playing in front of over 100,000 people week in week out helps too.  TN folks love football to a point of obnoxea.  I just made up a word.  I'm glad you all got to witness it.  Seriously they wear their game day outfits decked in hunter orange at predators games.   It's obnoxious and causes nausea.  Obnoxea.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: laughman on September 12, 2009, 10:22:36 pm
I think if you look at the top, say, 20 recruiting classes on the services and look at the final standings in the polls at the end of the bowl season, you will see a direct correlation in the stars and who ends up at the top of the polls. It's that simple. You still have to go out and do a great sales job and check the validity with your own eyes. Speed at every postion is still king, especially in the SEC. Just go after the best all the time and make the d**m sale!
Explain Boiste State and Utah?  Interesting.

The Realist

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on September 14, 2009, 09:06:11 am
Explain Boiste State and Utah?  Interesting.
Boise State might be the most intelligent team in the nation with a damn good coach...that's why they are so good.  They know what they do well and stick to it
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

CoonHog1971

Can any intelligent person here explain why we did not go get Orgeron and put him on the staff?

Music City Hog

Quote from: CoonHog1971 on September 14, 2009, 08:30:31 pm
Can any intelligent person here explain why we did not go get Orgeron and put him on the staff?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   There ya go!

CoonHog1971

How much does he make vs. Willy?

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: CoonHog1971 on September 14, 2009, 08:30:31 pm

Petrino actually likes to communicate with his staff, and  this requires he understand what they're saying.

Music City Hog

Quote from: CoonHog1971 on September 14, 2009, 08:50:34 pm
How much does he make vs. Willy?

orgeron: $650

Willy:  $350

Almost double

The Hog

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 14, 2009, 09:20:46 pm
orgeron: $650

Willy:  $350

Almost double
Another thing is Kiff makes 2 mill and Petrino 2.8.  Another 800k to spread around which evidently has paid off.  Monte is the big bucks for a DC, 1.2 mill.
Automatic RUN!

The Realist

September 15, 2009, 02:56:55 pm #77 Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:58:53 pm by The Realist
When he was interviewed he said he wanted to pay his assistants more and take less in order to get all of those big names.  Imagine if we could get a big name DC to go with our offense.
Childs, Gregory.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Realist on September 15, 2009, 02:56:55 pm
When he was interviewed he said he wanted to pay his assistants more and take less in order to get all of those big names.  Imagine if we could get a big name DC to go with our offense.

When you say "we" here, just who are you referring to?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The Realist

Arkansas....

Some Arkansas fans can't wrap their head around the fact that people actually attend another university in the SEC and still cheer for the hogs #1...as if it somehow violates my loyalty to Arkansas.  Ignorance is bliss
Childs, Gregory.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Realist on September 15, 2009, 05:57:19 pm
Arkansas....

Some Arkansas fans can't wrap their head around the fact that people actually attend another university in the SEC and still cheer for the hogs #1...as if it somehow violates my loyalty to Arkansas.  Ignorance is bliss

You are good at making huge leaps in logic, and also making poor assumptions.

I've read quite a few of your posts on here and I did not realize you even considered yourself a Hog fan at all.  Perhaps I've missed your posts that gave that evidence.

I asked you who you meant by "we" because I wanted clarification.  That's all. 

So put your neuroses in neutral if you would.  Thank you.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

1973Hog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on September 13, 2009, 05:37:19 pm
Stars don't measure heart.  They don't tell you how special a player is, or how much they love the helmet, or that they just aren't quitters.  Stars don't measure how much of a fighter someone is, or if they're a winner.

I cannot agree with you more. While they have done well, if stars were all that mattered, then LSU would win more than they have. Heck, they have had superior athletes to us and we have STILL beaten them. We need a team WITH character not one loaded with CHARACHTERS.

The Realist

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 15, 2009, 06:53:38 pm
You are good at making huge leaps in logic, and also making poor assumptions.

I've read quite a few of your posts on here and I did not realize you even considered yourself a Hog fan at all.  Perhaps I've missed your posts that gave that evidence.

I asked you who you meant by "we" because I wanted clarification.  That's all. 

So put your neuroses in neutral if you would.  Thank you.
Then check my post history.
There are plenty of Arkansas fans on here who will provide insight that 2,000 posters could offer up because they are the same view and thus, pointless to chime in just to hear ourselves talk and pat ourselves on the back for the same ideas...The confederates could convince most of their own people the yankees were bad obviously...but could they ever get a yankee to see, not agree, with their side of it?   Neither view is wrong...but neither is totally right until that view is moderated to compensate for your own bias...aka give at least some understanding to the other side. 

If I see a topic that I know I have a different perspective on due to what I have experienced I will offer it.  That's the only reason I speak when UT is mentioned. 

I laugh at all these people who think they know about UT or hate UT because of this or that...because I have seen some great reasons to hate UT on here.  I've attended Arkansas and Tennessee.  Have had a good time at both.  Grew up a die hard hog fan, whole family from Arkansas, family has a spot in the Gardens every Saturday.. and grew up hating TN...even while living in TN, but Fayetteville has a small town feel to it.  Tennessee offered a stark contract living in a metropolitan area of around 500,000 compared to 150,000 around Washington Co...and I can appreciate living in both places and they are both great places...if it's what you are looking for.  Some people enjoy the laid back feel of a community like Fayetteville and others may enjoy getting caught up in the hubbub of a metropolitan area that has a distinct downtown city feel to it like Knoxville...East Knoxville not withstanding.
Childs, Gregory.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Realist on September 16, 2009, 11:43:04 pm
Then check my post history.
There are plenty of Arkansas fans on here who will provide insight that 2,000 posters could offer up because they are the same view and thus, pointless to chime in just to hear ourselves talk and pat ourselves on the back for the same ideas...The confederates could convince most of their own people the yankees were bad obviously...but could they ever get a yankee to see, not agree, with their side of it?   Neither view is wrong...but neither is totally right until that view is moderated to compensate for your own bias...aka give at least some understanding to the other side. 

If I see a topic that I know I have a different perspective on due to what I have experienced I will offer it.  That's the only reason I speak when UT is mentioned. 

I laugh at all these people who think they know about UT or hate UT because of this or that...because I have seen some great reasons to hate UT on here.  I've attended Arkansas and Tennessee.  Have had a good time at both.  Grew up a die hard hog fan, whole family from Arkansas, family has a spot in the Gardens every Saturday.. and grew up hating TN...even while living in TN, but Fayetteville has a small town feel to it.  Tennessee offered a stark contract living in a metropolitan area of around 500,000 compared to 150,000 around Washington Co...and I can appreciate living in both places and they are both great places...if it's what you are looking for.  Some people enjoy the laid back feel of a community like Fayetteville and others may enjoy getting caught up in the hubbub of a metropolitan area that has a distinct downtown city feel to it like Knoxville...East Knoxville not withstanding.

I could care less about your history or whatever.  It was a simple question I asked.  You gave an over-reaction based on assumptions.  That's it.  End of story.

I don't hate UT.  I respect that program a lot, actually.  I'd love for the UA to have 100,000 fans at RRS, with their fanatical support for the Hogs like UT gets.

What I don't like is UT homers making BS arguments on here that don't hold water.  You guys are so eat up with your orange love you have trouble grasping reality, which is very ironic since that is your name on here.

In my years out in the world working for a buck, I came across most every football fan out there, except perhaps some on the west coast.  In all that time the most obnoxious, arrogant fans I've come across were Tennessee fans and Texas fans.  I guess it might have something to do with burnt orange messing with certain synapses in the brain, I don't know.  Certainly there are arrogant fans of every team, but none came close to what I always saw from UT and UT fans.

The UT fans I've come across on here have been completely consistent with what I'd seen everywhere else.  I think it is good for you guys that you're getting a chance to experience a little humility.  I have my doubts whether it will stick, but it's still fun to watch, none the less.

The Hog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 17, 2009, 12:12:35 am
I could care less about your history or whatever.  It was a simple question I asked.  You gave an over-reaction based on assumptions.  That's it.  End of story.

I don't hate UT.  I respect that program a lot, actually.  I'd love for the UA to have 100,000 fans at RRS, with their fanatical support for the Hogs like UT gets.

What I don't like is UT homers making BS arguments on here that don't hold water.  You guys are so eat up with your orange love you have trouble grasping reality, which is very ironic since that is your name on here.

In my years out in the world working for a buck, I came across most every football fan out there, except perhaps some on the west coast.  In all that time the most obnoxious, arrogant fans I've come across were Tennessee fans and Texas fans.  I guess it might have something to do with burnt orange messing with certain synapses in the brain, I don't know.  Certainly there are arrogant fans of every team, but none came close to what I always saw from UT and UT fans.

The UT fans I've come across on here have been completely consistent with what I'd seen everywhere else.  I think it is good for you guys that you're getting a chance to experience a little humility.  I have my doubts whether it will stick, but it's still fun to watch, none the less.
You need to get out in the world more WIKI U.
Automatic RUN!

The Realist

Read more post less then if you don't know who you are addressing.  My connections to UT are well versed on this board and I have been around much longer than you...just not always by this name.  Stupid questions receive stupid answers.  I wouldn't be on a hog board if my only allegiance was to UT.  Some of you are way too unbearable for fans of other schools to read unless you actually love the hogs
Childs, Gregory.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Realist on September 17, 2009, 11:00:18 am
Read more post less then if you don't know who you are addressing.  My connections to UT are well versed on this board and I have been around much longer than you...just not always by this name.  Stupid questions receive stupid answers.  I wouldn't be on a hog board if my only allegiance was to UT.  Some of you are way too unbearable for fans of other schools to read unless you actually love the hogs

Did you fail to read this:

I could care less about your history or whatever. 

I don't care who you are or who you think you are or how important you think you are.  It means jack to me.  I'm sure in your own little realm you're a very important person.  That's fine.  It just means zip to me.

I don't know how to state it any clearer.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Hog on September 17, 2009, 06:05:07 am
You need to get out in the world more WIKI U.

Great comeback.  You really got me there on that one. 

Any more simplistic, trite phrases you'd like to attack me with?

The Realist

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 17, 2009, 12:41:04 pm
Did you fail to read this:

I don't care who you are or who you think you are or how important you think you are.  It means jack to me.  I'm sure in your own little realm you're a very important person.  That's fine.  It just means zip to me.

I don't know how to state it any clearer.
Not at all.  My posts have dramatically dropped the last two years...I'm not the one who needs to hear myself talk and bicker with anyone who contradicts me.  I can't say the same for you...
Childs, Gregory.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Realist on September 17, 2009, 01:07:59 pm
Not at all.  My posts have dramatically dropped the last two years...I'm not the one who needs to hear myself talk and bicker with anyone who contradicts me.  I can't say the same for you...

Really??

Because this whole deal started when I asked you a very simple question.  You somehow got all offended and went off on a tirade of "bickering", apparently to "hear yourself talk".

It was a simple question that was looking for a simple answer.  In all your posts that I had read, I had never seen anything that indicated you were also a Hog fan.  Had I read all your posts??  Of course not.  I only read topics that have some interest for me.  So I'm sure I've probably missed hundreds or thousands of your posts.  Is that a big deal to you?

All you had to write in response to my question was "the Razorbacks".  Done. No biggie. 

But your ego wouldn't allow you to let it go that easily.  You had to commence this campaign of trying to convince me how important you are, or at least I think that's what you were trying to impress upon me.  You set upon this big self-defense when I did not attack you.

ALLVOL

What does my age ha ve to do with facts?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on September 17, 2009, 05:22:51 pm
What does my age ha ve to do with facts?

There you are.  Where you been this week?

I don't know, but you may have missed this topic.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=306536.0

Though I think it would be a little hard to miss.

The Hog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 17, 2009, 08:51:28 pm
There you are.  Where you been this week?

I don't know, but you may have missed this topic.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=306536.0

Though I think it would be a little hard to miss.
Looks like you are still coming up on the short end of the stick in ever topic you post?  You need to go over to the kids site and see if you are "Smarter than a Fifth Grader?.  WIKI U we luv you!"  LOL
Automatic RUN!