Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn to Memphis

Started by Houston h, September 09, 2009, 06:07:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Quite Frankly

Quote from: Houston h on September 09, 2009, 06:07:52 pm
It's been talked about and with Tommy West on the hot seat, I could see Memphis making a move at the end of the season for Gus.  My problem with it is this, Memphis is a basketball school and even with Gus, I'm not sure how well he could recruit the players he would need to compete.  Secondly, I'm not so sure that this wouldnt be a step back from an OC position in the SEC. 

Thoughts?
Yeah.  It occurs to me this has nothing to do with the Hogs or MMQB.

Hawgon

Quote from: UnLedded on September 09, 2009, 08:23:14 pm
See what I mean?

All Memphis would have had to do to win that game was score points.  It was there for the taking.  Say whatever you want about Malzahn, his offenses score points.

donewithdale

Quote from: UnLedded on September 09, 2009, 08:21:35 pm
C'mon.  Gus has to prove himself before a 1-A program is gonna hire him three years removed from HS to run their entire program.  Now, will it happen one day?  I believe it will, maybe even at an SEC or ACC school.  But for now, can we please chill on the Gus is God trip?
Art Briles was a head coach after 3 years of being a college asst.  Gus will have been an OC for 4 seasons including 2 at SEC programs. 

rzrbackrob

I live in one of the burbs around Memphis and when I tell people I'm a Arkansas fan they ask me if my mom and dad were brother and sister and how does it feel to be the only Arkansas fan without any missing teeth. Also ask if Arkansas stadium has indoor plumbing yet and if we still all get to the games on horses. They ask if I've had "Deliverance" experiences and if our biggest booster is Jed Clampett.

As far as coming to Memphis, Gus could do much worse.
Program is stuck in 6-6 range with West.
The schedule is unbelievably easy.
The talent around this area is unreal.
Getting on the field for Memphis is much easier academic wise than a BCS conference.
Dyer would be at Auburn without Gus.
Good is the enemy of great

HogNuttz

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 09, 2009, 06:11:43 pm
I doubt it will happen.  If gus is successful, he will stay a few years as OC at Auburn, and probably get an HC job at a lower tier BCS school

He'll probably get the HC job at Auburn when their offense is the only part of their game worth a damn in a few years.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

UnLedded

Quote from: donewithdale on September 09, 2009, 08:28:34 pm
Art Briles was a head coach after 3 years of being a college asst.  Gus will have been an OC for 4 seasons including 2 at SEC programs.

And Art Briles is who?????????

donewithdale

Quote from: UnLedded on September 09, 2009, 08:33:30 pm

You aren't qualified to be discussing college football.  It is a school night and past your bedtime.

Hawgon

Quote from: UnLedded on September 09, 2009, 08:33:30 pm

You're serious?  The head coach at Baylor who showed tremendous improvement last year and just last week went up and beat a good Wake Forest team.

UnLedded

Quote from: donewithdale on September 09, 2009, 08:34:30 pm
You aren't qualified to be discussing college football.  It is a school night and past your bedtime.

Actually, college football is about the only thing I am qualified to talk about...that and making a living without sucking someone else's a$$.

UnLedded

Quote from: Hawgon on September 09, 2009, 08:35:32 pm
You're serious?  The head coach at Baylor who showed tremendous improvement last year and just last week went up and beat a good Wake Forest team.

Yeah, I know.  But this goes back a while.

acua

Gus recruited the heck out of Arkansas while at Tulsa essentially pulling all/most of the non-Arkansas committed D1 talent there and even pulled AJ Whitmore from a BCS school.  He would do the same at Memphis plus surrounding areas and make them a CUSA contender.  I agree he could/should wait for something better.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: mj4president on September 09, 2009, 06:54:16 pm
I could see him getting looked at for the Colorado job once Hawkins gets the ax.

I would add Louisville to the list of possibilities if GM fairs well at Auburn.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

UnLedded

Quote from: acua on September 09, 2009, 09:09:04 pm
Gus recruited the heck out of Arkansas while at Tulsa essentially pulling all/most of the non-Arkansas committed D1 talent there and even pulled AJ Whitmore from a BCS school.  He would do the same at Memphis plus surrounding areas and make them a CUSA contender.  I agree he could/should wait for something better.

Gus would be better served to do his thing at Auburn for a few years.  Then, guess what, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, etc., will be looking for a coach.

Feralhog

The trash is littered with OC and DC taking on the position of head coach.  Reason being, it's one thing to be a genius in your field, quite another being a head coach.  Like everything, there are exceptions and Gus is certainly an exception. 

Gus has a lot of the same attributes that are common among solid head coaches. He's a student of the game, he's a stickler to detail, he's very well organized, he's big on fundamentals and he spends countless hours studying ways to improve his job performance.
I really don't have an opinion about Memphis, other than I believe Gus will be successful as a head coach no matter where he lands, not because of the x's and o's, but because of the things I highlighted above.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

jesterzzn

Quote from: HogNuttz on September 09, 2009, 08:29:49 pm
He'll probably get the HC job at Auburn when their offense is the only part of their game worth a damn in a few years.
In all honesty, Auburn is the one of last SEC jobs I would want.  Too much in state BS and too much drama in the board room.

If going 6-3 vs Bama and having an undefeated season gets you canned after one losing season... dude, we think Razorback fans are deluded?

Buck Brewer

D'Angelo Williams landed in the lap of Tommy West. While that was the most successful run in Memphis Football in many a moon the opportunity was wasted. Cal got priority. Remember the Tiger BKB teams wasn't quite elite just yet and Cal had a wish list and by damn he came first. Tommy was basically told to be quiet.

Since that time memphis has lost 2 of it's last 3 to ASU and I wouldn't put it past them to lose again this year. Opportunity wasted in my book. Not all West's fault. The school prez and AD is where the blame lies. It's facilites are some of C-USA's worse and it's basketball ride could not be parlayed into a BCS invite because of it.

Many a Arkansas high school has better football facilities than Memphis.

Hoggish1

Not sure Memphis is a BB school any more with Cal having left it for KY and in such a mess.  Gus might turn it into a football school.

Thoughts?

jesterzzn

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 09, 2009, 09:36:47 pm
Not sure Memphis is a BB school any more with Cal having left it for KY and in such a mess.  Gus might turn it into a football school.

Thoughts?
The best he could ever do is gain equal footing, and he would have to stay there a long time to achieve that, so no, never happen.

When Memphis basketball is losing they are more talked about than when they are winning, if that tells you anything.  Memphis football, even while having a great year (by their standards) and a Heisman candidate a few years back, rarely got more than an atta'boy.

But, that doesn't mean that a good coach couldn't come in an have the program on the cusp of being pretty damn good within two or three years.  The recruiting base is deep enough, and the schedule soft enough.

huggerfrommanila

memphis football died when dangelo left.  its a basketball school and always will be.  there are more ut, om, arkansas, and alabama football fans than memphis football fans in the city of memphis. 
"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
James: What an absolutely beautiful day. Warm Sun, beautiful women...
Carl: And the air... is just right... for drinking.  ~Men at Work, 1990
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

spudhog

I think if he does well as Auburn's OC. He can do better than Memphis.

mizzouman

Look for Colorado to make a push for Gus.  Hawkins is on his last leg.  He will barely survive this year and probably won't be back next year. 

GoHogs#1

Quote from: UnLedded on September 09, 2009, 08:21:35 pm
C'mon.  Gus has to prove himself before a 1-A program is gonna hire him three years removed from HS to run their entire program.  Now, will it happen one day?  I believe it will, maybe even at an SEC or ACC school.  But for now, can we please chill on the Gus is God trip?

That's what we heard about being a OC for a Major D1 program. Where is he at now?
Go Hogs

longtimeHogfan

If All-barn's offense shows up this year, Gus will get his shot.  I just hope it isn't Memphis. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

RazorBassin

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 09, 2009, 06:23:11 pm
At least Memphis has more women than cows.

Besides, he wouldn't live in Memphis.  He'd live in Bartlett or Germantown.

Or Collierville

mhsbc59

Quote from: donewithdale on September 09, 2009, 06:21:01 pm
Thousand times better than Memphis.  Some third world countries have better cities than Memphis. 
Hey man watch what u sayin bout my town¤
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

RazorBassin

Needless to say though, I don't think Gus goes to Memphis.

razorback44

Memphis is a school where your career goes to die.  More than likely he will get his shot at a lower tier BCS school like a Baylor if he truly turns Auburn around.  He is already getting more national press after two games then Gene Chizik is getting.  I don't really see him leaving the south either to go to a Colorado or similar west coast school. 
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

RazorBassin

What about a Maryland, Clemson(pushing it, i know), Virginia, Pitt(prob a lil to high profile yet), Villanova, Providence, or maybe Syracuse?

Pigdiana Jones

Nope not going to happen. He's been out of high school coaching head coach for only 3 years going on 4. He's a great offensive coordinator, but he needs a few more years under his belt before they'll consider him a legitimate head coach type. He'll have to work his way up like any other coach has done.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

razobak

I really think Malzahn stays at Auburn for a few years, to cement his status and worth there.  Face it, he's had a meteoric rise in college football.  From high school straight to the OC job at 2 SEC schools in 4 years.  Now I'm not saying that if a good opportunity comes for him he won't take it, but I'm pretty sure that most schools want to wait for him to get a little more seasoning before they make him the HC of a marquee program.

And Memphis?  I don't think he touches that with a 10-foot pole.  I was watching the OM-UM game last week and couldn't help but chuckle.....when Memphis scores a touchdown, a police siren blares over the PA system at the Liberty Bowl.  G-H-ETTO.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

DMacIsASaint

some of the people on here amaze me. You are saying because memphis has a high crime rate he wont go there? Are you serious? Whats funny is some of you people making third world country jokes about memphis live in eastern arkansas..

Yes, Its a C USA school. But look where getting your first head coaching job in the c usa got petrino. it got him a nfl job 4 years later.

memphis isnt a dead end football school. Memphis boosters are tired of being in the c usa and know getting memphis out of the c usa comes with a consistent football program. They are going to go after malzahn and head recruiter at lsu (memphis alum) pretty hard. Its possible with a coach like malzahn, just look at houston

big dread hog

left the U and the Canes to come home.  I would think that Fred would therefore be free to see spending some bucks on the football program. It is an opportunity for whomever succeeds Tommy West who is a dead man walking after his Murfreesboro trip.  Memphis would look good to a kid from South Panola and the likes. Which is worse? Liberty Bowl or WMS? pretty similar including crime stats.  There is a huge push to get on the Gus bus in Bama, check out Scrabinsky in Birmingham and his waxing eloquent.  Lots of talent in north Alabama along the 72 thruway  that would also think Memphis is a good change of scenery.

No denying the Memphis economy sucks, check the Redbirds going belly flop with Autozone park bond.  Fed Ex is immune and Fred's son is a pretty talented signal caller to boot.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: salebow on September 14, 2009, 12:18:02 pm
Nope not going to happen. He's been out of high school coaching head coach for only 3 years going on 4. He's a great offensive coordinator, but he needs a few more years under his belt before they'll consider him a legitimate head coach type. He'll have to work his way up like any other coach has done.

If Auburn has a surprise turnaround this year and averages 500 yards of offense, he's going to be a hot commodity very quickly.  If they spit and sputter offensively, then he'll be in Auburn a few more years.

Supposedly he has aspirations to be a HC in the NFL, so he might also make a move that way (NFL OC or position coach) instead of trying to be a collegiate HC first.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Funny Article about Gus from Kevin Scarbinsky of Birmingham News.

The funny part is the shots he takes at Tubberville.

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2009/09/scarbinsky_get_on_the_bus_with.html
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 09, 2009, 06:17:43 pm
Ever been to Auburn?
I surely don't understand this...unless you've never been to Auburn. It is a beautiful city very reminiscent of Fayetteville.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

chiefsfan

I think if he takes a non BCS job it will be in CUSA.  Buit I think he will wait on something better then Memphis

I think he would prefer waiting on one of the better CUSA schools to lose their coach to a different job and then head there.   I doubt he would go to a school like Memphis, that is now 1-6 against the Sun Belt Conference in the last few years...and has very little talent right now.  But still has a fan base that thinks they are the worlds next BCS buster
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 14, 2009, 01:10:05 pm
I think if he takes a non BCS job it will be in CUSA.  Buit I think he will wait on something better then Memphis

I think he would prefer waiting on one of the better CUSA schools to lose their coach to a different job and then head there.   I doubt he would go to a school like Memphis, that is now 1-6 against the Sun Belt Conference in the last few years...and has very little talent right now.  But still has a fan base that thinks they are the worlds next BCS buster

Gus is a smart guy and although I'm sure he wants to be an HC he is not desperate so he does not have to take the first job that comes along.  Also with the money that is now being thrown around to coordinators in the SEC, I'm sure Auburn will sweeten his deal to keep the bottom feeders like Memphis away.

He has got a bright future ahead of him as long as he is patient and something tells me he will be.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DEVICEHIGH

Quote from: Pistol Pete on September 09, 2009, 06:13:51 pm
Gus ain't living in Memphis...

He could live in Oxford and commute.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Pistol Pete

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on September 14, 2009, 01:22:48 pm
He could live in Oxford and commute.

Well of course... he might get some wise counsel from his old boss when he's in Oxford. Dive left, dive right, 3rd and 13 send one receiver against 4 DBs. You never know, in a few years that may become the trick crap.

Darth Piggy

I'm glad someone on here mentioned Hughes.  If someone will live in Hughes, Arkansas they'll live anywhere.  It's only  saving grace is that it's only around a 35 minute drive from downtown Memphis. 

I don't like the Memphis State Tigers (can't call them University of Memphis), but there's enough talent in the Memphis area to field a good team. 

I do love Memphis, though.  Lived across the bridge all of my life except for my five years at the University of Arkansas.  I know Memphis like the back of my hand and like any big city you need to be careful and keep your wits about you.  I spend almost every weekend going out to eat and such in Memphis (downtown and midtown especially).  I've never, ever had a problem.

Memphis State does need a new stadium.  The fairgrounds area is sad.  It's in Orange Mound for pete's sake.  It kind of makes me a shed a tear when I cut through on Airways which becomes East Parkway.  I have fond memories of Monday Nights at the Mid South Coliseum and Liberty Land.  All that's gone now.  I'm all for anything that improves Memphis.

VoR

1 thing though everyone has to admit, I'd love to see the Vegas line on how long it's take Ole Missus to cancel their game with Memphis, and the excuse should even be better.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

ATLHogcallin

Gus who? It's time to move on!  My only thoughts about Gus are that I want Bobby Petrino (the Arkansas Razorbacks football coach by the way) to be 2-0  against teams where Gus is on staff (Tulsa and Auburn--which by the way neither of which is Arkansas).

Take a deep breath and let it go

Ugly Uncle

Just as long as someday he comes back here to be our coach, I don't care where he goes.  Gus was done wrong here by the ego head coach.  I think he will be a great coach and a better HC than we've ever had here except for maybe Lou and Bobby. 
Retired Radio Host

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Simple Swineman on September 09, 2009, 06:10:57 pm
OC at Auburn > HC at Memphis

I have to disagree with this. OC at Auburn makes what, $300,000? West makes somewhere around $700,000. I think I'd be willing to risk the head coaching job at Memphis to more than double my income.

And, West is no offensive genius. Malzahn is. He could likely take the Memphis program to a higher level than it has been under West.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

huggerfrommanila

believe it or not west makes 925k. plus you have none of the headaches of sec coaches because he doesnt have 75k people coming to games whose weeks are ruined if he doesnt win.  nobody cares. 
"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
James: What an absolutely beautiful day. Warm Sun, beautiful women...
Carl: And the air... is just right... for drinking.  ~Men at Work, 1990
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

Broomehog38

He would be better off in Auburn until a better job is offered. I am not sure he could get a good enough staff to compete in 2 years with good recruiting in Memphis.
Keep it real because no one likes a fake.

Hawgon

Memphis has decent talent right now.  Malzahn could turn them into a 7 or 8 win team next year.

pigture perfect

Memphis has Beale Street and Bar BQ. What again does Auburn have?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hawgon on September 14, 2009, 03:26:56 pm
Memphis has decent talent right now.  Malzahn could turn them into a 7 or 8 win team next year.
I would say that is baked in the cake for Malzahn. And if you can jump from $300K to $900K in salary, you'd be a fool not to take the HC job at Memphis rather than staying as OC at Auburn.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

MojaveJoe

September 14, 2009, 03:48:14 pm #99 Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:51:18 pm by MojaveJoe
I'm sure Auburn would put up huge money to keep him if he continues to kick ass.

I never thought much of Gus until he left UofA and I saw what he was capable of...he got screwed big time by the Nutt. The man is an offensive genius. Lets face it, though, many great coordinators suck as HC and he may suck as a head coach - I doubt he would though (even if he can't coach defense he can just get a smart DC and keep his hands off).

I hope he leaves after this year, I don't want to have to go to Auburn and play against them next year.

Go to the NFL Gus, go!