Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn to Memphis

Started by Houston h, September 09, 2009, 06:07:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Houston h

It's been talked about and with Tommy West on the hot seat, I could see Memphis making a move at the end of the season for Gus.  My problem with it is this, Memphis is a basketball school and even with Gus, I'm not sure how well he could recruit the players he would need to compete.  Secondly, I'm not so sure that this wouldnt be a step back from an OC position in the SEC. 

Thoughts?

Root66

I think Memphis needs a new tradition.

Simple Swineman

jesterzzn

Head Coach at Memphis is not a step back from Auburn OC anymore than Head Coach at Louisville was a step back from Auburn OC.

It's all about what you do when you get there that makes it a step up or a step back.  If he makes Memphis a BCS buster, then that will speak louder than any great offenses he produces at Auburn.

PorkSoda

I doubt it will happen.  If gus is successful, he will stay a few years as OC at Auburn, and probably get an HC job at a lower tier BCS school
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

pharm

I think Gus should stay right where he is. If he does good at Auburn, it could lead to a HC job at a top tier College

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 09, 2009, 06:11:43 pm
Head Coach at Memphis is not a step back from Auburn OC anymore than Head Coach at Louisville was a step back from Auburn OC.

It's all about what you do when you get there that makes it a step up or a step back.  If he makes Memphis a BCS buster, then that will speak louder than any great offenses he produces at Auburn.
^^ This.
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

Pistol Pete

Gus ain't living in Memphis...

akp4105

Not gonna happen.. end of discussion.

jesterzzn

donewithdale

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 09, 2009, 06:17:43 pm
Ever been to Auburn?

Thousand times better than Memphis.  Some third world countries have better cities than Memphis. 

pigsiouxie

Quote from: donewithdale on September 09, 2009, 06:21:01 pm
Thousand times better than Memphis.  Some third world countries have better cities than Memphis.
memphis IS a 3rd world country

jesterzzn

At least Memphis has more women than cows.

Besides, he wouldn't live in Memphis.  He'd live in Bartlett or Germantown.

donewithdale

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 09, 2009, 06:23:11 pm
At least Memphis has more women than cows.

Besides, he wouldn't live in Memphis.  He'd live in Bartlett or Germantown.

At least the cows aren't carrying weapons and have closer to what could be considered a job than Memphians. 

Are those the "nice" suburbs?

Victom

Gus will be named USCE headcoach when S.S. hangs it up there .

LibraryHog

Wow.
freaked me out a little bit, thought it was breaking news just this moment.

pharm

I bet Gus likes not having to worry about a HC taking over the play calling after a few bad possesions. I still get mad thinking about all that mess with Nutt. I remember after we had turned things around a bit after the big loss to USC. I think we were playing Tenn, Nutt in a pregame interview was blaming the big loss on Gus saying after that game he had had a talk with Gus about going back to the basics or some kind of BS like that, He just threw Gus under the Bus.

jesterzzn

Quote from: donewithdale on September 09, 2009, 06:25:16 pmAt least the cows aren't carrying weapons and have closer to what could be considered a job than Memphians.
Cow with a job > Women with guns?

Some people make it hard to say you're an Arkansas fan.

See I think a woman that can fire a gun is sexy, but I'm from Memphis so I guess that goes with the territory.

SteveInArk

Some here might not consider HC at Memphis as a step down -- but I think Gus would.

A stint as OC at a "major" D1 school, an SEC one at that, wouldn't be the logical training ground for a Conference USA head coach job.... he could have eventually gotten that job at Tulsa ... and in football, Memphis is not a step up from Tulsa!
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

311Hog

Quote from: donewithdale on September 09, 2009, 06:25:16 pm
At least the cows aren't carrying weapons and have closer to what could be considered a job than Memphians. 

Are those the "nice" suburbs?

germantown is real nice, almost like a totally different city.

donewithdale

Quote from: 311Hog on September 09, 2009, 06:34:55 pm

I know.  I've been there a number of times.  Just giving our Memphian a hard time.

Memphis is not a good CUSA job imo.

If Skip gets a better job, East Carolina is a very good CUSA job.

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

SteveInArk

Yes it is, so is Bartlett on the northside...
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

deshahawg

I don't really see it happening.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Houston h on September 09, 2009, 06:07:52 pm
It's been talked about and with Tommy West on the hot seat, I could see Memphis making a move at the end of the season for Gus.  My problem with it is this, Memphis is a basketball school and even with Gus, I'm not sure how well he could recruit the players he would need to compete.  Secondly, I'm not so sure that this wouldnt be a step back from an OC position in the SEC. 

Thoughts?

That ain't happening in my opinion. If Gus has a successful transition year at Auburn, he will be hunting bigger game than Memphis.
Go Hogs Go!

fieldturf

Ol Boy that coach's the Gamecocks will be hanging up his visor after this season and they'll come after Gus........heard it here 1st

donewithdale

Quote from: fieldturf on September 09, 2009, 06:45:58 pm
Ol Boy that coach's the Gamecocks will be hanging up his visor after this season and they'll come after Gus........heard it here 1st

It is a dead end job.  Gus would be better off getting a head coaching job somewhere like a Louisville or Cincinnati if Kelly were to go to the Big 10.  Or taking an East Carolina-like job and then moving on to a BCS conference.  Colorado could be an interesting option if Gus had a little more college experience. 

saturday6

Why deal with the thugs in Memphis - Stay at Auburn - achieve success - then a much better situation will become available.

GO HOGS

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

bigdaddyhawg

September 09, 2009, 06:52:37 pm #29 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:54:31 pm by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 09, 2009, 06:44:40 pm
That ain't happening in my opinion. If Gus has a successful transition year at Auburn, he will be hunting bigger game than Memphis.

Exactly.  Something like this:

Quote from: Victom on September 09, 2009, 06:26:00 pm
Gus will be named USCE headcoach when S.S. hangs it up there .

If Gus can take what he's got down there now, that being a very mediocre Qb with limited skills, almost zero WR's, and backs and line that are built more for a power rushing attack, then he would deserve a shot at some big name program.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Cementhog

Quote from: SteveInArk on September 09, 2009, 06:42:20 pm
Yes it is, so is Bartlett on the northside...
The problem still is they are both right next to Memphis. Look, Memphis high is a stepping stone for coaches or a fall back position, after failing at a higher level. Gus already has his steps, doesn't need Memphis. Why would West be gone after this year? He has been bowling 5 of 6 years, or something like that. Memphis fans should hope he stays as long as he can.
Little Lebowski Urban Achiever Class of 86

jesterzzn

Guys, Memphis has better recruiting than L'ville and Cinnci.  E. Carolina is probably about even.

Memphis is a sleeping giant in the BCS buster catagory of school.  They just need the right guy to keep all that talent home.  SEC schools are loaded with Memphis players.  The NFL is loaded with Memphis players.  Memphis football could be every bit as big as Memhis B'ball if they had a coach that kept all the four and five stars (or even a few of them) home.

mj4president

I could see him getting looked at for the Colorado job once Hawkins gets the ax.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Cementhog

Did you Memphis fans not learn anything from Calapari leaving?? You now have Pastner. Why? No one wants to be in Memphis. 2 final fours in consecutive years and the best you could do was Pastner. Come on

HawgBallLvr

Oh Great... a Malzahn is God thread........
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

jesterzzn

I'm pretty sure the caoching replacement crap had more to do with the NCAA investigation than the city.  But hey, what do I know?  I just watch the city produce around 10 four star football recruits every year, and if a coach could keep half of those at home he would have a Top25ish class each and every year in a conference that would get steamrolled by a team with that kind of talent.

Why would a coach want to come to that kind of enviornment?  No idea.  Sounds like a loser if I ever heard of one.

Pistol Pete

I worked (salesman retired, I covered it AND Arkansas) in Memphis for a 1 1/2 years... this was about 3 years ago. Word of warning, don't travel anywhere inside the loop. It's worse than you can imagine, I promise.

jesterzzn

The worst places are just north and just south of the loop on the west side.  Inside the loop is only bad on the west side as well, but it doesn't get truly bad until you go north or south of the loop.

hogfan064

If O'Leary is fired, which is very possible, then the UCF job would be the best Non bCS job open this year

SteveInArk

Quote from: Pistol Pete on September 09, 2009, 07:09:23 pm
I worked (salesman retired, I covered it AND Arkansas) in Memphis for a 1 1/2 years... this was about 3 years ago. Word of warning, don't travel anywhere inside the loop. It's worse than you can imagine, I promise.

While living in Philly area for 18 years, I used to say I would rather go to downtown Camden at night, then Memphis in the daytime (jokingly)....  since moving back to home...  I think I might have been closer to the mark than I thought!

CoonHog1971

If Gus has lived in Hughes, AR. then why would he not live 30 minutes from it in Memphis?

Cementhog

Jesterzzn
It has nothing to do with how ever many 4*'s come from Memphis. Why would a kid raised in the hood, with a chance to get the F**K out of Memphis, ever consider staying in Memphis. Look at the facilities, you play your games in an outdated, uncomfortable stadium. Memphis is a commuter school the campus is spread out and unorganized. Jester is OK to be a homer but D1 coaches aren't  beating down the door to get in Memphis. And this idea of a sleeping giant BCS buster school, ask Boise State or BYU or Utah if they could change places with any other school in a major conference, they would stomp over every one else to get there. BCS busters don't last, tradition does and Memphis football will need many more years to reach that.

cdhogfan

After week one we are already starting the "Gus to" threads?

Buck Brewer

Memphis needs a major infusion of money into it's football program. It  has played redheaded step child to Calipari and the basketball program. The Liberty Bowl is in a deteriorating nieghborhood, fans pine for an On Campus Stadium and the practice facility is off of Lamar for goodness sake. I've heard whispers that Fred Smith may finally push some money to the football side. Memphis' dream is getting into the Big East cause that's where Louisville is. Football and all other sports are major impediments to that happening and needs addressed quickly.

jesterzzn

I am not a Memphis fan, I just lived there for fifteen years.  There is potential in the football program, and I can see it despite not being a fan.

BCS busters don't have to last for them to provide the coach with the leg up he needs to get that big time chance.

In any event, USC is in the middle of South Central LA and manages to get kids to play for them, and has for a long long time.  No they are not comparible in term of schools, but in terms of getting kids raised in the ghetto to stay home and play for the home team, being in the middle of one of the worst of the worst hasn't hurt them all that much.  UCLA is in a better part of town, has better facilities, and better scenery (if you get me), so what it really takes is a good coach to recruit.  The rest is just details.

Memphis can be just as big as TCU or Boise, they just aren't.  But the potential will probably always be there.

Cave City Joe

Memphis will never be a football school.  It's all basketball there.  Gus needs to stay at Auburn a couple of years.  If he does a much better job will open up.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Hawgon

I think Memphis could be a really good job.  There are lots of athletes in Memphis.  Plus a coach could get a lot of the kids in the SEC states that didn't have the grades for SEC schools.

A Malzahn coached Memphis would have trounced Ole Miss the other day and be the talk of the country right now.

UnLedded

C'mon.  Gus has to prove himself before a 1-A program is gonna hire him three years removed from HS to run their entire program.  Now, will it happen one day?  I believe it will, maybe even at an SEC or ACC school.  But for now, can we please chill on the Gus is God trip?

UnLedded

Quote from: Hawgon on September 09, 2009, 08:20:28 pmA Malzahn coached Memphis would have trounced Ole Miss the other day and be the talk of the country right now.

See what I mean?

UnLedded

Quote from: Hawgon on September 09, 2009, 08:20:28 pmA Malzahn coached Memphis would have trounced Ole Miss the other day and be the talk of the country right now.

Ummmm.