Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jevan Snead and Ole Miss

Started by Houston h, September 06, 2009, 09:00:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoginClinton

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 08, 2009, 01:00:56 pm
The guys I'm talking about are redshirt freshmen.  Do you honestly not understand that players will be more trusted by the time they are sophomores, juniors, and seniors than they will as freshmen?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have depth issues behind Michael Smith last year?  If so, why didn't Petrino trust those players behind Smith to handle the football?
There is a huge difference between redshirt freshmen and true freshmen.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 08, 2009, 01:00:56 pm
why would you throw to guys that have had limited practice time and may not be quite ready to shoulder the load?

And no, you shouldn't trust a player to carry your team just because you recruited him. 

OK, now this is the Rebelbruiser I've come to know and love!!  Nothing like a little "misdirection" to help make a point!!

Nothing was said about depending on one of these kids to "carry the team" or "shoulder the load".  You were talking about not being able to trust a kid, and that's what I was addressing.  You jumped all the way to now I am suggesting you build the offense around him.  Big difference!!

Your retard of a coach used the same thinking in 2005, McFadden and Jones' freshman year, when he gave the two best young backs in the entire nation TWO carries between them in a loss to Vandy, at home.  His reasoning?  He just didn't trust them NOT to fumble in critical moments in the game.  See any pattern here, bruiser?

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rebelbruiser

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 08, 2009, 02:03:42 pm
OK, now this is the Rebelbruiser I've come to know and love!!  Nothing like a little "misdirection" to help make a point!!

Nothing was said about depending on one of these kids to "carry the team" or "shoulder the load".  You were talking about not being able to trust a kid, and that's what I was addressing.  You jumped all the way to now I am suggesting you build the offense around him.  Big difference!!

Your retard of a coach used the same thinking in 2005, McFadden and Jones' freshman year, when he gave the two best young backs in the entire nation TWO carries between them in a loss to Vandy, at home.  His reasoning?  He just didn't trust them NOT to fumble in critical moments in the game.  See any pattern here, bruiser?

Neither Allen or Epperson are the caliber of player that McPhadden or Jones were or ended up being, so I don't see your point.  Maybe he should've given the ball to those guys, using hindsight, but as of right now, this year, with our team, we have more veteran playmakers at other positions, so it wouldn't make sense for us to throw to redshirt freshmen at TE.  Maybe next year, but this year they don't rank high enough in the pecking order of playmakers to get many, if any, touches, especially in the opener.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: HoginClinton on September 08, 2009, 01:17:33 pm
There is a huge difference between redshirt freshmen and true freshmen.

That's true, but if so, why didn't Eli play ahead of a senior QB during his redshirt year?

It's because he wasn't trusted with the system quite yet, and we had a senior experienced QB that gave us a better chance to win and be more consistent.  That's my point.  When you have other experienced options, you don't have to ask your younger guys to do as much.

Right now, I feel like most of you are arguing just to argue.  There is only one ball on the field.  We've got Brandon Bolden, Dexter McCluster, Shay Hodge, Markeith Summers, Cordera Eason, Lionel Breaux, and a handful of others that as of today are more trusted with the football than the redshirt frosh TEs.  Gerald Harris, when he's 100%, will be higher in that pecking order, and you'll see him get touches later this year.  The redshirt freshmen TEs likely won't get many touches this year, if any, because every time they get the ball it's sacrificing a touch for another guy who can give us more than they can.

farmhawg

Again, bruiser is part of the msm. You continue to here the same darn we heard here for 10 years and he is only spouting it again. What is your real name?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HoginClinton

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 08, 2009, 02:17:47 pm
That's true, but if so, why didn't Eli play ahead of a senior QB during his redshirt year?

It's because he wasn't trusted with the system quite yet, and we had a senior experienced QB that gave us a better chance to win and be more consistent.  That's my point.  When you have other experienced options, you don't have to ask your younger guys to do as much.

Right now, I feel like most of you are arguing just to argue.  There is only one ball on the field.  We've got Brandon Bolden, Dexter McCluster, Shay Hodge, Markeith Summers, Cordera Eason, Lionel Breaux, and a handful of others that as of today are more trusted with the football than the redshirt frosh TEs.  Gerald Harris, when he's 100%, will be higher in that pecking order, and you'll see him get touches later this year.  The redshirt freshmen TEs likely won't get many touches this year, if any, because every time they get the ball it's sacrificing a touch for another guy who can give us more than they can.
You missed again.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 08, 2009, 07:47:15 am
There is no rule that you have to throw to the TE.  If you don't have an athletic pass catching TE, you don't throw the ball to him a lot.

This sounds like something out of a Houston Nutt-led coaches meeting.  The "you don't have to throw to a TE" mentality is one that has been shunned by most of the last few National Champions, and that is no coincidence.  Players like Aaron Hernandez, Richard Dickson, David Thomas, Dominique Byrd, and Jeremy Shockey come to mind, as well as Kellen Winslow II, who would have been the BCSCG MVP had Miami won in 2002.

Under Nutt, there was an unwritten rule that Tight Ends were a third tackle and were thus supposed to weigh between 270 and 310 lbs.  Just look at Jason Peters, who was a TE in Fayetteville and has turned into an All-Pro tackle in the NFL, or Nathan Ball, who alternated between TE, tackle, and guard while at Arkansas.  I'll take pass catchers like DJ Williams any day.

vandybuff

Quote from: Hog Leg on September 08, 2009, 11:42:36 am
Hey NUMBNUTS our team last year was not ranked in the top 10 preseason, our QB last year was not all world like J Sneeze.  Our D line was not GODLY like yours supposedly is.  WTH the spin you put on shizz is just too much for me.  Pick a side already. Are yall good or not?  Fkin fence jumper...Cant wait to see you in Oxford.  Again I'll be the one telling all you reb fans to "GO TO HELL"

..... weren't you a fan at some of the little league games I umped .... on second thought, weren't you 'every fan' at 'most' of the little league games I umped.  :)
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Hawg Balling on September 08, 2009, 02:44:29 pm
This sounds like something out of a Houston Nutt-led coaches meeting.  The "you don't have to throw to a TE" mentality is one that has been shunned by most of the last few National Champions, and that is no coincidence.  Players like Aaron Hernandez, Richard Dickson, David Thomas, Dominique Byrd, and Jeremy Shockey come to mind, as well as Kellen Winslow II, who would have been the BCSCG MVP had Miami won in 2002.

Under Nutt, there was an unwritten rule that Tight Ends were a third tackle and were thus supposed to weigh between 270 and 310 lbs.  Just look at Jason Peters, who was a TE in Fayetteville and has turned into an All-Pro tackle in the NFL, or Nathan Ball, who alternated between TE, tackle, and guard while at Arkansas.  I'll take pass catchers like DJ Williams any day.

What do those players you listed all have in common?  They were better players than Gerald Harris, and we're still going to get him touches when he's healthy.

Again, you still don't seem to understand that it's smart football to get the ball in the hands of your best playmakers as often as possible.  If those players are your TEs, like those players you listed, you get them the ball.  If those players are RBs, scat backs, or WRs, you get those players the ball most of the time.

We threw 2 TD passes to Gerald Harris in the Cotton Bowl, both designed to go to the TE, but he's still no Jeremy Shockey.  You get the ball in the hands of your best playmakers.  If you throw the ball to someone just to say you do it doesn't mean it's a good idea.  Our FBs this year are not good pass catchers like Jason Cook was last year, so they will get fewer touches than Cook did last year.  It only makes sense.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 08, 2009, 03:23:28 pm
Again, you still don't seem to understand that it's smart football to get the ball in the hands of your best playmakers as often as possible.  If those players are your TEs, like those players you listed, you get them the ball.

I would hardly call the Tight Ends that I listed the best players on their respective teams, just viable offensive options that take heat off of your best players, and this continues to be an offensive methodology that escapes your head coach. 

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Hawg Balling on September 08, 2009, 03:38:13 pm
I would hardly call the Tight Ends that I listed the best players on their respective teams, just viable offensive options that take heat off of your best players, and this continues to be an offensive methodology that escapes your head coach.

Winslow and Shockey were some of the best playmakers on those Miami teams.  Byrd and Dickson are both dynamic.  Given Florida's lack of playmakers at receiver, Hernandez was one of their best weapons in the passing game.  You have a choice of David Nelson or Aaron Hernandez, of course you're going to get the ball to Hernandez often, because he's a mismatch.

Each of those players are big time playmakers, especially when matched with LBs.  Harris gives us a shot at a mismatch against some LBs, but he's not on that level.  Epperson and Allen both have potential, but they're still too green.  If we had a Shockey, Winslow, or a Hernandez, they'd be some of our biggest weapons in the passing game.

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 08, 2009, 03:23:28 pm
What do those players you listed all have in common?  They were better players than Gerald Harris, and we're still going to get him touches when he's healthy.

Again, you still don't seem to understand that it's smart football to get the ball in the hands of your best playmakers as often as possible.  If those players are your TEs, like those players you listed, you get them the ball.  If those players are RBs, scat backs, or WRs, you get those players the ball most of the time.

We threw 2 TD passes to Gerald Harris in the Cotton Bowl, both designed to go to the TE, but he's still no Jeremy Shockey.  You get the ball in the hands of your best playmakers.  If you throw the ball to someone just to say you do it doesn't mean it's a good idea.  Our FBs this year are not good pass catchers like Jason Cook was last year, so they will get fewer touches than Cook did last year.  It only makes sense.
and you are missing the point going way out of your way to defend NumbNutt and his anemic passing attack.  I believe a "redshirt freshman" has one year of learning the "ropes" that Nutty is so found of.  Why is he not ready to catch a ball yet?  Will it be next year or maybe the next?  Thats the deal with Nutty, he uses who he likes, not testing the other against freakin MEMPHIS, a tune up so to speak before the real battles begin.....a monkey with a whistle could figure that one out.
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

Hawg Balling

September 08, 2009, 03:52:47 pm #112 Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:31:35 pm by Hawg Balling
Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 08, 2009, 03:46:10 pm
Winslow and Shockey were some of the best playmakers on those Miami teams.  Byrd and Dickson are both dynamic.  Given Florida's lack of playmakers at receiver, Hernandez was one of their best weapons in the passing game.  You have a choice of David Nelson or Aaron Hernandez, of course you're going to get the ball to Hernandez often, because he's a mismatch.

I seem to remember guys by the name of Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Andre Johnson, and Roscoe Parrish on those Miami teams, as well as others like Percy Harvin, Vince Young, Jacob Hester, Brandon LaFell, Early Doucet, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White, and Tim Tebow on other recent NC teams. 

hognc2010

Bruiser does not get it and when he does he will know we were not being jerks just pointing out a pattern.

Rebel -
The entire point is this -
If you are ranked in the top 10 YOU SHOULD BE prepared all players -

He should have had enough of a plan to get those young players he fears the ball to give them experience

So take your rusty Snead and Your unprepared coach and be happy.  It is over.  You are # 6 in th polls this week and Kent will call less plays than last in the upcoming game as he does not have experience to call games when you are ranked int the top 10.  All those young inexperienced kids might as well relax as they won't see the field this year and those that are good will get hurt because of mismanagement

The bored kids will get into trouble.

Let me tell you once in for all - Your team was not prepared. 

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Hawg Balling on September 08, 2009, 03:52:47 pm
I seem to remember guys by the name of Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Andre Johnson, and Roscoe Parrish on those Miami teams, as well as others like Percy Harvin, Vince Young, Jacob Hester, Brandon LaFell, Early Doucet, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White, and Tim Tebow on other recent NC teams.

My point was, each of those TEs you listed was considered one of the best, if not the best, at his position at the time.  Gerald Harris and our two redshirt freshmen are not considered among the best pass catching TEs in the country, especially with Harris playing hurt.

I understand throwing to the TE a lot when your TE is a major weapon.  However, if your TEs are not a major weapon, you don't use them as much.  Harris will get touches when healthy.  Allen and Epperson both have upside as pass catchers down the line.  Right now though, you don't sacrifice a touch for a guy like Shay Hodge or McCluster in favor of a touch for a true freshman.

rebelbruiser

September 09, 2009, 09:33:51 am #115 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:41:14 am by rebelbruiser
Quote from: hognc2010 on September 08, 2009, 04:13:30 pm
Bruiser does not get it and when he does he will know we were not being jerks just pointing out a pattern.

Rebel -
The entire point is this -
If you are ranked in the top 10 YOU SHOULD BE prepared all players -

He should have had enough of a plan to get those young players he fears the ball to give them experience

So take your rusty Snead and Your unprepared coach and be happy.  It is over.  You are # 6 in th polls this week and Kent will call less plays than last in the upcoming game as he does not have experience to call games when you are ranked int the top 10.  All those young inexperienced kids might as well relax as they won't see the field this year and those that are good will get hurt because of mismanagement

The bored kids will get into trouble.

Let me tell you once in for all - Your team was not prepared.

All I have to do is point to last year's Florida team to prove you wrong.  Meyer had very little confidence in any of his playmakers outside of Tebow and Harvin.

In the Miami game, Harvin and Tebow combined for 19 of the 48 touches.  In the UT game, they combined for 20 of 47 touches.  In the Ole Miss game, the only early game early that ended up close until the finish, Tebow and Harvin combined for 38 of 59 touches (a whopping 64% of the touches between 2 players).  As a note, I'm only counting carries and receptions as touches since those are the players that end up with the football.  I didn't count Tebow's passes to other players as a touch by Tebow.

Meyer gained more confidence in his other playmakers later in the year, but early in the season when the game was on the line, Tebow and Harvin shouldered almost all of the rushing and receiving load.  Why didn't he have more faith in his other playmakers early in the year?  After all, he had a Top 10 team.

The previous season when Florida came to Oxford, we kept it close, losing by only 6.  Tebow and Harvin combined for 42 of 65 touches for the game (65% of the team's touches).  Florida was ranked in the Top 10 at the time that year as well, yet Meyer still leaned primarily on 2 players for most of his offense.  Basically, when the game was on the line, or when it was still in doubt, Meyer had little faith in anyone outside of Tebow or Harvin to carry the torch for the offense.

I'd make an argument that that makes Meyer a pretty good coach.  He knows who to lean on when he needs to win a game, and he leans on those players.  This year it'll be interesting to see who, outside of Tebow, that Meyer will be willing to lean on when games get tight.

By the way, in the national title game last year, Tebow and Harvin combined for 36 of 62 touches, again proving that Meyer leaned on his two best playmakers in a tight game.  He wasn't giving the ball to redshirt freshmen very often at all, and that makes him a smart coach.  Harvin didn't play in the SEC title game, or I'm sure you'd have seen more than 50% of the touches go to Tebow/Harvin in that game as well.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 09, 2009, 09:33:51 am
All I have to do is point to last year's Florida team to prove you wrong.  Meyer had very little confidence in any of his playmakers outside of Tebow and Harvin.

In the Miami game, Harvin and Tebow combined for 19 of the 48 touches.  In the UT game, they combined for 20 of 47 touches.  In the Ole Miss game, the only early game early that ended up close until the finish, Tebow and Harvin combined for 38 of 59 touches (a whopping 64% of the touches between 2 players).  As a note, I'm only counting carries and receptions as touches since those are the players that end up with the football.  I didn't count Tebow's passes to other players as a touch by Tebow.

Meyer gained more confidence in his other playmakers later in the year, but early in the season when the game was on the line, Tebow and Harvin shouldered almost all of the rushing and receiving load.  Why didn't he have more faith in his other playmakers early in the year?  After all, he had a Top 10 team.

The previous season when Florida came to Oxford, we kept it close, losing by only 6.  Tebow and Harvin combined for 42 of 65 touches for the game (65% of the team's touches).  Florida was ranked in the Top 10 at the time that year as well, yet Meyer still leaned primarily on 2 players for most of his offense.  Basically, when the game was on the line, or when it was still in doubt, Meyer had little faith in anyone outside of Tebow or Harvin to carry the torch for the offense.

I'd make an argument that that makes Meyer a pretty good coach.  He knows who to lean on when he needs to win a game, and he leans on those players.  This year it'll be interesting to see who, outside of Tebow, that Meyer will be willing to lean on when games get tight.

By the way, in the national title game last year, Tebow and Harvin combined for 36 of 62 touches, again proving that Meyer leaned on his two best playmakers in a tight game.  He wasn't giving the ball to redshirt freshmen very often at all, and that makes him a smart coach.  Harvin didn't play in the SEC title game, or I'm sure you'd have seen more than 50% of the touches go to Tebow/Harvin in that game as well.

Another weak, specious argument, Rebelbruiser.

All stats you quoted point to one thing: Meyer was putting the ball in the hands of his playmakers.  Trying to stretch that into that he didn't trust his other kids is WAY TOO RIDICULOUS.

Additionally, the stats your give actually point to the opposite of what you say with your words.  In all those games you give Tebow and Harvin only had about half of the touches.  The other guys you say he was trying to avoid had the other half of the touches, and I promise you those young gators you refer to DID have catches and carries -- a far cry from what your guy does with his young people, and a far cry from not trusting them.

And finally, for you to compare, in ANYWAY, Urban Meyer and your a$$ clown Hootie, goes beyond all decency and shame.  You start out in a discussion like an intelligent, moral person, but when you do slip up and make a mistake you go to the foulest lengths to try to defend your idiot coach.  I don't know, maybe you really are Hootie Dale.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rebelbruiser

September 09, 2009, 12:56:17 pm #117 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:00:47 pm by rebelbruiser
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 09, 2009, 11:00:52 am
Another weak, specious argument, Rebelbruiser.

All stats you quoted point to one thing: Meyer was putting the ball in the hands of his playmakers.  Trying to stretch that into that he didn't trust his other kids is WAY TOO RIDICULOUS.

Additionally, the stats your give actually point to the opposite of what you say with your words.  In all those games you give Tebow and Harvin only had about half of the touches.  The other guys you say he was trying to avoid had the other half of the touches, and I promise you those young gators you refer to DID have catches and carries -- a far cry from what your guy does with his young people, and a far cry from not trusting them.

And finally, for you to compare, in ANYWAY, Urban Meyer and your a$$ clown Hootie, goes beyond all decency and shame.  You start out in a discussion like an intelligent, moral person, but when you do slip up and make a mistake you go to the foulest lengths to try to defend your idiot coach.  I don't know, maybe you really are Hootie Dale.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make, that it only makes sense to put the ball in the hands of your best playmakers.  Our redshirt freshman TEs rank way down on that list of playmakers, hence they will see very few touches this year.  Harris will get touches at TE when healthy, but when he's not 100%, he's down on the list of our playmakers.

Also, when you play around 10 players or more per game that have the ability to get touches, giving 2 players more than 50% of the touches is an extremely high amount.  I'll give you an example.

My point is and always has been that you don't throw to the TE just for the sake of throwing to the TE in the same way that you don't throw to the fullback just for the sake of throwing to the fullback.  You put the ball in the hands of your best playmakers.  If your TEs fall into that category of playmakers, you get them the ball more often.  If not, then they shouldn't get as many touches.

Gerald Harris can be a good pass catching TE, and when healthy, he'll get touches this year.  Ferbia Allen and EJ Epperson both have potential as pass catching TEs, but at this point in their careers they rank way down the list of playmakers on our team, so they will get few touches.  Later in their careers, they will see the ball more often.

It's really a simple concept to grasp.  You play to your strengths.  And the reason I threw Urban Meyer out there for a comparison was not because I think Nutt is Meyer.  The only coaches in Meyer's league today are Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, and Nick Saban, so don't get your panties in a wad.  The reason for the comparison was to show that even the best coaches would agree with me that you give the majority of your touches to your top playmakers.  It's a stupid argument to say 'look, they didn't throw to the TE'.  It would be a better argument if you could say, 'how could they not throw to the TE when they have Jeremy Shockey, Dominique Byrd, Richard Dickson, etc.?'.

Speaking of Shockey, if you watch the NFL, you'll notice that the Giants don't throw to Kevin Boss nearly as much as they did with Jeremy Shockey.  Why?  Because Boss isn't the same type of playmaker as Shockey.  Simple concept isn't it?  You have Jeremy Shockey, Tony Gonzales, Shannon Sharpe, or any other playmaking TE, you make them a big part of your offense.  You don't have that type of player at TE, you don't get your TE into your offense as much.

Eddie Piggard

you are ignoring the fact that you state a player that has been under Nuttys' tutelage for 2 yrs is still not ready to catch passes, or has gained the confidence of someone who actually gave him a scholly

maybe by his 5th yr then....

rebelbruiser

September 09, 2009, 02:01:46 pm #119 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:04:00 pm by rebelbruiser
Quote from: Eddie Piggard on September 09, 2009, 01:33:54 pm
you are ignoring the fact that you state a player that has been under Nuttys' tutelage for 2 yrs is still not ready to catch passes, or has gained the confidence of someone who actually gave him a scholly

maybe by his 5th yr then....

No, you are not understanding me.  I'm saying that those players are not as high on the priority list as their counterparts, because 1) they are younger and more inexperienced, and 2) they aren't that level of playmaker yet.

Brandon Bolden, with 2 years of Nutt tutelage is one of our most trusted and best playmakers on offense, beating out older backs for the job.  Allen and Epperson aren't there yet because they aren't on the same level with Bolden yet.

Simple concept.  We won't throw the ball often at all to Allen and Epperson, because they aren't high enough on the list of playmakers we have.  Harris, when healthy, will get the ball from the TE slot a decent amount this fall.  Allen and Epperson will see very limited touches.

By the way, we did throw once to Allen against Memphis, but it was overthrown.

Maybe I should make it even easier for you to understand.  I'll put it in Arkansas terms.

How often is D'Anthony Curtis going to get the ball this fall?  He's a back up fullback that's been in Petrino's system for 2 years already, yet he only got 2 touches in your season opener against a 1AA school, which likely means he'll get 0 touches in most games against 1A schools.  Shouldn't he be taking more touches away from Michael Smith, Broderick Green, DJ Williams, London Crawford, and Jarius Wright?  After all, he's been in the system 2 years and he's the back up fullback, so doesn't that mean he should be given the ball more often?

See, that doesn't make any sense, just like it doesn't make sense to say that we should be throwing the ball to our back up TEs more often simply because they are the back up TEs that have been in the system 2 years.

bigdaddyhawg

September 09, 2009, 03:07:16 pm #120 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:09:34 pm by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 09, 2009, 12:56:17 pm
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make, that it only makes sense to put the ball in the hands of your best playmakers.  Our redshirt freshman TEs rank way down on that list of playmakers, hence they will see very few touches this year.  Harris will get touches at TE when healthy, but when he's not 100%, he's down on the list of our playmakers.

Also, when you play around 10 players or more per game that have the ability to get touches, giving 2 players more than 50% of the touches is an extremely high amount.  I'll give you an example.

My point is and always has been that you don't throw to the TE just for the sake of throwing to the TE in the same way that you don't throw to the fullback just for the sake of throwing to the fullback.  You put the ball in the hands of your best playmakers.  If your TEs fall into that category of playmakers, you get them the ball more often.  If not, then they shouldn't get as many touches.

Gerald Harris can be a good pass catching TE, and when healthy, he'll get touches this year.  Ferbia Allen and EJ Epperson both have potential as pass catching TEs, but at this point in their careers they rank way down the list of playmakers on our team, so they will get few touches.  Later in their careers, they will see the ball more often.

It's really a simple concept to grasp.  You play to your strengths.  And the reason I threw Urban Meyer out there for a comparison was not because I think Nutt is Meyer.  The only coaches in Meyer's league today are Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, and Nick Saban, so don't get your panties in a wad.  The reason for the comparison was to show that even the best coaches would agree with me that you give the majority of your touches to your top playmakers.  It's a stupid argument to say 'look, they didn't throw to the TE'.  It would be a better argument if you could say, 'how could they not throw to the TE when they have Jeremy Shockey, Dominique Byrd, Richard Dickson, etc.?'.

Speaking of Shockey, if you watch the NFL, you'll notice that the Giants don't throw to Kevin Boss nearly as much as they did with Jeremy Shockey.  Why?  Because Boss isn't the same type of playmaker as Shockey.  Simple concept isn't it?  You have Jeremy Shockey, Tony Gonzales, Shannon Sharpe, or any other playmaking TE, you make them a big part of your offense.  You don't have that type of player at TE, you don't get your TE into your offense as much.

Hey, bruiser, you do realize YOU were the one who stated Hootie didn't trust those young TE's, right?

This is the second time I've caught you arguing against your own point as you try in a long, convoluted argument trying to defend your coach against the truth.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 09, 2009, 03:07:16 pm
Hey, bruiser, you do realize YOU were the one who stated Hootie didn't trust those young TE's, right?

This is the second time I've caught you arguing against your own point as you try in a long, convoluted argument trying to defend your coach against the truth.

He doesn't trust those guys as much as the other guys we have.  That's the point.  Meyer last year put the ball in Tebow's and Harvin's hands last year when the game was on the line because he didn't trust his other players as much.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 09, 2009, 03:24:58 pm
He doesn't trust those guys as much as the other guys we have.  That's the point.  Meyer last year put the ball in Tebow's and Harvin's hands last year when the game was on the line because he didn't trust his other players as much.

You may have inside info on what goes on down at Oxford, but I seriously doubt you have ANY inside anything about what goes on down at Gainesville.

Few offenses spread the ball around as much as Urban Meyer does at Florida.  Have you noticed they don't usually have guys in the top of the SEC stats??  It's because they DO use everybody out there and DO spread it around and DO TRUST everybody that walks on the field.

BTW, I noticed how you didn't respond to Hogfather and I discussing your possible position within the OM football program.  You wouldn't want to address that for us would you?

rebelbruiser

September 09, 2009, 04:00:30 pm #123 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:02:08 pm by rebelbruiser
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 09, 2009, 03:48:59 pm
You may have inside info on what goes on down at Oxford, but I seriously doubt you have ANY inside anything about what goes on down at Gainesville.

Few offenses spread the ball around as much as Urban Meyer does at Florida.  Have you noticed they don't usually have guys in the top of the SEC stats??  It's because they DO use everybody out there and DO spread it around and DO TRUST everybody that walks on the field.

BTW, I noticed how you didn't respond to Hogfather and I discussing your possible position within the OM football program.  You wouldn't want to address that for us would you?

I just showed you that the combination of Harvin/Tebow had basically 65% of the team's touches in each of their last two meetings against us, when both games were close.  That's the furthest thing from spreading it around.  They relied on Harvin and Tebow almost 2/3 of the time against us the last two seasons.  You put the ball in the hands of your playmakers when a game is on the line.  Meyer understands that.

And no, I don't work for the football program.  As I've said, I just have a friend who is a big time booster that's privy to a good amount of inside information, so I occasionally get some decent dirt.  You guys are ridiculous with your conspiracy theories by the way, which is why I like this place.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

dear heavens are you guys still battling it out.  Bruiser all the talk in the world on here won't make the dork a better coach.  Commend you for trying however
Let's make some waves.

Eddie Piggard

September 09, 2009, 07:36:22 pm #125 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:43:48 pm by Eddie Piggard
poor example, Luiser.....how many touches did our starting back get?  I guess according to your logic, Michael Smith might as well sit on the bench, he prolly won't be getting many "touches" this year....

you're pathetic

I think you are Teresa Prewitt myself.  Your name would fit her profile, haha

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 09, 2009, 04:00:30 pm
And no, I don't work for the football program.  As I've said, I just have a friend who is a big time booster that's privy to a good amount of inside information, so I occasionally get some decent dirt.  You guys are ridiculous with your conspiracy theories by the way, which is why I like this place.

No conspiracy theories.  Conspiracy suspicions, maybe.   ;)

And Hogfather and I aren't nuts (PLEASE pardon the unintentional pun!) either.

There's just a lot you've shared that indicates you DO have a lot more inside info that any normal fan would have, thus our suspicions.  Add to that are very, very deep seated desire to cover Hootie's ass in any and all situations (which we have seen from our lengthy experience with the MSM), even if it requires lying and dishonest tactics, and there's a lot of support to the suspicions.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 09, 2009, 04:00:30 pm
I just showed you that the combination of Harvin/Tebow had basically 65% of the team's touches in each of their last two meetings against us, when both games were close.  That's the furthest thing from spreading it around.  They relied on Harvin and Tebow almost 2/3 of the time against us the last two seasons.  You put the ball in the hands of your playmakers when a game is on the line.  Meyer understands that.

1. Any stat like you quote is going to have Tebow involved in a high percentage of the plays, he's their freaking Heisman trophy winning QB who plays in an offense where the QB throws and runs a lot.  You could probably take his numbers with anybody's and get well over 50%.  You know the truth of that already, though.

2. FOR THE THIRD TIME NOW, putting the ball in your playmaker's hand is NOT the same as not trusting the other players.  I don't care how you twist it and try to put forth your convoluted argument, the issue I raised with you was about your a$$ clown not trusting his players, something he's really good at.  Urban Meyer DOES trust his players.  Go back and watch their game vs. Charleston Southern.  Tebow does NOT zero in a just a couple of guys.  They spread their plays out all over the field, to whomever is in the game.

OK, here's some stats for you:  In 2008, Florida has 8 players catch at least 12 passes on the year and had 6 players run for at least 100 yards for the season.  Sounds like they were spreading the ball around pretty good there, huh?

In game one this year, Florida had 5 guys rush for more than 40 yards, with Demps the leading rusher, but he only had 5 carries.

Florida had 8 players catch a pass in their first game, with the leading receivers having 5 catches.  Again, doesn't sound like they are zeroing in on one guy, now does it??

You know the truth just like everyone who follows CFB know the truth, that one of the strengths of Meyer's offense is that he DOES spread the ball around, and the D CANNOT focus on one or two guys.

So go hunt for some more stats that you can use to try to prove a point you know if false in its' foundation. 

The Hogfather

September 10, 2009, 07:58:57 am #128 Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:06:14 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 09, 2009, 07:42:21 pm
Add to that are very, very deep seated desire to cover Hootie's ass in any and all situations (which we have seen from our lengthy experience with the MSM), even if it requires lying and dishonest tactics, and there's a lot of support to the suspicions.

Biggest one I've ever seen.  Even when Nutt was here, there were few who were even close to rebelbruiser in their blind loyalty to Nutt.  It is uncanny.

rebelbruiser

September 10, 2009, 08:11:33 am #129 Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:13:12 am by rebelbruiser
A touch is a rush or a reception the way I counted it, meaning you finish with the football.  So, Tebow throwing a pass to a receiver does not count as a touch for Tebow.  It counts as a touch for the receiver, because he's the playmaker that's asked to tote the ball on that play.  Rushes by Tebow or Harvin and receptions by Harvin were 65% of the plays the last two years when they played us, both games that weren't decided until the final possession of the game.

Meyer the last two years relied heavily on Tebow and Harvin the last two years for the majority of carries and receptions.  He did not spread the football around.

And my point in that is that if Meyer trusts his other players so much, why, when the game is on the line, did his team lean so heavily on Harvin/Tebow?  The answer is because he didn't trust his other players AS MUCH as he trusted those two, and that's been my argument the whole time.  It's easy to spread the ball around to players when you have a 30 point lead, which Florida did a lot the last few years.  When the game was close though, Meyer leaned heavily on Tebow/Harvin for all the carries/receptions.

And again, spouting how much Florida spread the ball against Hawaii, Charleston Southern, or some other team they blew out is a pointless argument, because those games are games where the starters sit early, and the 2nd and 3rd teamers all get touches.  Florida got to do that a whole lot last year, so they got to spread their touches around.  Every coach spreads the football around when they're blowing a team out at halftime.  Meyer in 2007 and 2008 leaned heavily on Harvin/Tebow when games were on the line.  I'll go get some more stats for you from games that came down to the wire since you're refusing to understand.

I showed you the stats from the Oklahoma and Ole Miss games last year for Tebow and Harvin, the only two games that went down to the wire for Florida last year where both played (Harvin sat out the Bama game).  In both of those games, Meyer did not spread the ball around.  It was either Tebow or Harvin for over 60% of the plays in those games when you combine them.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 10, 2009, 08:11:33 am
A touch is a rush or a reception the way I counted it, meaning you finish with the football.  So, Tebow throwing a pass to a receiver does not count as a touch for Tebow.  It counts as a touch for the receiver, because he's the playmaker that's asked to tote the ball on that play.  Rushes by Tebow or Harvin and receptions by Harvin were 65% of the plays the last two years when they played us, both games that weren't decided until the final possession of the game.

Meyer the last two years relied heavily on Tebow and Harvin the last two years for the majority of carries and receptions.  He did not spread the football around.

And my point in that is that if Meyer trusts his other players so much, why, when the game is on the line, did his team lean so heavily on Harvin/Tebow?  The answer is because he didn't trust his other players AS MUCH as he trusted those two, and that's been my argument the whole time.  It's easy to spread the ball around to players when you have a 30 point lead, which Florida did a lot the last few years.  When the game was close though, Meyer leaned heavily on Tebow/Harvin for all the carries/receptions.

And again, spouting how much Florida spread the ball against Hawaii, Charleston Southern, or some other team they blew out is a pointless argument, because those games are games where the starters sit early, and the 2nd and 3rd teamers all get touches.  Florida got to do that a whole lot last year, so they got to spread their touches around.  Every coach spreads the football around when they're blowing a team out at halftime.  Meyer in 2007 and 2008 leaned heavily on Harvin/Tebow when games were on the line.  I'll go get some more stats for you from games that came down to the wire since you're refusing to understand.

I showed you the stats from the Oklahoma and Ole Miss games last year for Tebow and Harvin, the only two games that went down to the wire for Florida last year where both played (Harvin sat out the Bama game).  In both of those games, Meyer did not spread the ball around.  It was either Tebow or Harvin for over 60% of the plays in those games when you combine them.
admit it...you fear Ryan Mallett
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rebelbruiser

Here are UF's stats from games that came down to the wire, where Tebow and Harvin both played.  And again, for those that refuse to understand, a touch is a carry or a reception, so Tebow pass attempts don't count.  Otherwise the number would be even more skewed:

2008:
Oklahoma - 36 of 62 touches (58.1%)
Ole Miss - 38 of 59 touches (64.4%)

2007:
Michigan - 38 of 50 touches (76.0%)
Kentucky - 28 of 55 touches (50.9%)
LSU - 23 of 44 touches (52.3%)
Auburn - 30 of 48 touches (62.5%)
Ole Miss - 42 of 65 touches (64.6%)

Over the last two years combined, when Florida was in a game decided by 10 points or less, Tebow and Harvin combined for 235 of 383 touches or 61.4% of all rushes/receptions in those games.

The fact is, when a game was on the line, Meyer was not spreading the football around the last two years.  When a game was on the line, he put the ball in the hands of the two players he trusted the most, Tebow and Harvin.  In his big wins, sure he spread the ball around more, but every coach does that.  And yes over 60% of the plays to two players is leaning on two players.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 10, 2009, 07:58:57 am
Biggest one I've ever seen.  Even when Nutt was here, there were few who were even close to rebelbruiser in their blind loyalty to Nutt.  It is uncanny.

It's not blind loyalty.  It's the fact that many of you are making arguments that don't make sense.  Criticizing a team for not throwing to the TE enough when their senior starter is playing at less than 100% is a weak argument.

Iwastherein1969

Rebelbruiser, surely you now realize that Ryan Mallett is the best passing QB in the SEC....and its not even close....matter of fact, I'd say that Tyler Wilson is the second best passing QB in the SEC, with Jevan Snead a VERY distant third....the slow train wreck is about to begin...enjoy
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 10, 2009, 08:28:13 am
It's not blind loyalty.  It's the fact that many of you are making arguments that don't make sense.  Criticizing a team for not throwing to the TE enough when their senior starter is playing at less than 100% is a weak argument.

I haven't said one word about the great TE debate.  It is anything negative said about Ole Miss' football program.  You are the homer of homers.  It shows in every one of your posts.  You can't even admit that you were disappointed in the way your team opened against Ole Miss because "they can be expected to be a bit rusty" and "they were worse to start off the season last year" and "we played bad and still won by 31", etc.

You are the perfect excuse maker/lemming for Nutt and staff.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 10, 2009, 09:10:07 am
I haven't said one word about the great TE debate.  It is anything negative said about Ole Miss' football program.  You are the homer of homers.  It shows in every one of your posts.  You can't even admit that you were disappointed in the way your team opened against Ole Miss because "they can be expected to be a bit rusty" and "they were worse to start off the season last year" and "we played bad and still won by 31", etc.

You are the perfect excuse maker/lemming for Nutt and staff.

I thought I had covered that.  I was disappointed in Snead's play obviously.  I was disappointed in our tackling as a whole.  And I wasn't pleased with our OL play.

I'm confident that Snead will play better and that we'll tackle better.  After that first game, I do still have one major concern, and that's our OL.  We have a long way to go and likely some personnel shifting before we get that down, but of course the OL was my biggest concern all off-season.  My concerns really haven't changed after one game.  We played really good for 2 quarters, and we played fairly poor for 2 quarters, and it was good enough to get us a 31 point win.

Do I expect better down the line?  Of course.  Will I see better?  Without a doubt.  After re-watching our game, the only concern I come away with is the same one I went into the game worried about, our OL.  I don't know what we'll do there, when it will come together as a unit, or if it will come together at all.  Outside of that, we'll be fine.  You don't push the panic button over 1 game, otherwise Bama fans would've been jumping off a bridge last year after their game with Tulane, and they would've missed the rest of an undefeated regular season.

Sivad

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 10, 2009, 07:58:57 am
Even when Nutt was here, there were few who were even close to rebelbruiser in their blind loyalty to Nutt.  It is uncanny.

Nutt did have several blind, cultlike followers during his time here, ones that viewed him as a pied piper messiah, excusing the Right Reverend for his every failure, misdeed, lie, incompetence and embarrasing activity of both him and his "family posse", both on and off the field.

Ole Miss' current blind adoration of all things Nutt is simply the stranded desert traveler dying of thirst and seeing the water mirage and hoping it is real. If Nutt stays at OM long enough to field his own teams, they will die.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 10, 2009, 08:48:26 am
Rebelbruiser, surely you now realize that Ryan Mallett is the best passing QB in the SEC....and its not even close....matter of fact, I'd say that Tyler Wilson is the second best passing QB in the SEC, with Jevan Snead a VERY distant third....the slow train wreck is about to begin...enjoy

We'll see.  So far he has a lackluster true freshman year at Michigan under his belt and an easy game with a weak 1AA opponent under his belt.  His first real test comes next week against UGA.  They have a tough defense, and he gets to face other good defenses like Florida, Alabama, Ole Miss, and South Carolina.  You can't crown him the best passing QB yet until he's done it on the field.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 10, 2009, 10:20:23 am
I thought I had covered that.  I was disappointed in Snead's play obviously.  I was disappointed in our tackling as a whole.  And I wasn't pleased with our OL play.

That's your whole team, basically.  That doesn't make you wonder about how well your coach prepared the team to win?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 10, 2009, 08:28:13 am

Come on bruiser, get your story straight.  I never said a single word about you not throwing to your TE's.  I responded to your comment that Nutt "didn't trust his young TE's".

You continue to try to make an argument supporting not trusting them by using Florida as an example, but that's stupid and you know it.  That's why you are trying to throw more and more of it at the wall, again hoping something might stick eventually.

I don't have a problem with giving McClusker (sp?) all the touches you can -- he's one of your key playmakers.  THAT'S NOT THE ARGUMENT, so why do you keep going there?? 

It's not an issue of leaning on your playmakers.  Every coach in CFB is going to do that.  It's an issue of being able to trust or depend on a kid that your man put on scholarship and then put in the freaking game.  That's what you continue to avoid discussing or addressing, bringing in all this other nonsense to try to cloud the discussion, which is one of your typical BS ploys, BTW.

An old sales manager I used to work for would say "If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS."  You put that idiom into practice quite often.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 10, 2009, 11:08:36 am
Come on bruiser, get your story straight.  I never said a single word about you not throwing to your TE's.  I responded to your comment that Nutt "didn't trust his young TE's".

You continue to try to make an argument supporting not trusting them by using Florida as an example, but that's stupid and you know it.  That's why you are trying to throw more and more of it at the wall, again hoping something might stick eventually.

I don't have a problem with giving McClusker (sp?) all the touches you can -- he's one of your key playmakers.  THAT'S NOT THE ARGUMENT, so why do you keep going there?? 

It's not an issue of leaning on your playmakers.  Every coach in CFB is going to do that.  It's an issue of being able to trust or depend on a kid that your man put on scholarship and then put in the freaking game.  That's what you continue to avoid discussing or addressing, bringing in all this other nonsense to try to cloud the discussion, which is one of your typical BS ploys, BTW.

An old sales manager I used to work for would say "If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS."  You put that idiom into practice quite often.

It's not a stupid argument, because I was using Florida as an example to show that even Urban Meyer, when in a tight game, only trusted Tebow and Harvin with the ball.  He's recruited some real studs, but with the game on the line last year, he put it on Tebow and Harvin.

I can guarantee you that you have 2nd year players on your roster that Petrino doesn't feel comfortable giving significant touches to.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 10, 2009, 10:31:32 am
That's your whole team, basically.  That doesn't make you wonder about how well your coach prepared the team to win?

I'll put it this way.  They'd have looked dramatically better against a 1AA school.

The missed tackles ticked me off, and Snead's shakiness in the 2nd and 3rd quarters worried me.  Snead regained his form though by the 4th, and he's shown he's capable in the past, so I'm not worried about him.  And I'm not worried about the defense, because they'll tackle better, and even despite poor tackling at times, they held Memphis to fewer than 300 yards.  The OL still worries me as I said, but that's nothing new.  On the plus side, I thought our secondary looked dramatically improved, as I expected.  Hall didn't play that well, but he didn't have too many open receivers, because our secondary had his guys blanketed most of the day.

As for now, the team was prepared well enough to beat Memphis, and that's what matters most.  I'm never one to be too picky about wins.  Again go to Alabama last year.  They weren't prepared well for Tulane or Kentucky, but they were prepared well enough to beat Tulane and Kentucky.  Had they played like that against us, LSU, or Georgia, they would've lost, but they looked better in those games.  You just have to beat the opponent in front of you.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 10, 2009, 12:34:42 pm
I was using Florida as an example to show that even Urban Meyer, when in a tight game, only trusted Tebow and Harvin with the ball.

That's total BS, bruiser!  Here are the BCS Championship stats:

Rushing

Harvin, P.      9     125     3     122     1     52     13.6
Tebow, T.      22     110     1     109     0     15     5.0
Demps, J.      9     27     4     23     0     11     2.6
Moody, E.      1     0     0     0     0     0     0.0
TEAM      2     0     2     -2     0     0     -1.0
Rainey, C.      1     0     3     -3     0     0     -3.0
Totals...     44     262     13     249     1     52     5.7

Demps, A TRUE FRESHMAN, had as many carries as Harvin, and Harvin ONLY HAD 9.  Tebow had the bulk because that's what OU's defense was giving them.  In fact, OU's plan was to try to take away Florida's speedsters and make Tebow beat them with his legs, which is pretty much what he did.

Pass Receiving

Hernandez, A.      5     57     0     21
Harvin, P.      5     49     0     19
Murphy, L.      2     44     1     24
Nelson, D.      2     33     1     29
Cooper, R.      2     28     0     17
Rainey, C.      1     11     0     11
James, B.      1     9     0     9
Totals...     18     231     2     29

Harvin only had 5 of 18 catches!!  Seven different guys had catches.  That looks like an offense and a coach who SPREAD THE BALL AROUND!! 

So to say Meyer "only trusted Tebow and Harvin with the ball" is a lie.  You need to let this one go, bruiser.  You are continuing to try to make a lie the truth, and no amount of statistics are going to ever make that happen.

And more importantly, you've failed in your attempt to misdirect the discussion away from a$$ clown's lack of trust in his players.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: NolanForAD on September 10, 2009, 12:46:47 pm
RebelBruiser,
I just read where Nutt claims to have 27 players out with the swine flu.   Any truth to this?

We had 28 players out of practice yesterday, and I believe around 22 of them were flu related.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 10, 2009, 01:28:25 pm
That's total BS, bruiser!  Here are the BCS Championship stats:

Rushing

Harvin, P.      9     125     3     122     1     52     13.6
Tebow, T.      22     110     1     109     0     15     5.0
Demps, J.      9     27     4     23     0     11     2.6
Moody, E.      1     0     0     0     0     0     0.0
TEAM      2     0     2     -2     0     0     -1.0
Rainey, C.      1     0     3     -3     0     0     -3.0
Totals...     44     262     13     249     1     52     5.7

Demps, A TRUE FRESHMAN, had as many carries as Harvin, and Harvin ONLY HAD 9.  Tebow had the bulk because that's what OU's defense was giving them.  In fact, OU's plan was to try to take away Florida's speedsters and make Tebow beat them with his legs, which is pretty much what he did.

Pass Receiving

Hernandez, A.      5     57     0     21
Harvin, P.      5     49     0     19
Murphy, L.      2     44     1     24
Nelson, D.      2     33     1     29
Cooper, R.      2     28     0     17
Rainey, C.      1     11     0     11
James, B.      1     9     0     9
Totals...     18     231     2     29

Harvin only had 5 of 18 catches!!  Seven different guys had catches.  That looks like an offense and a coach who SPREAD THE BALL AROUND!! 

So to say Meyer "only trusted Tebow and Harvin with the ball" is a lie.  You need to let this one go, bruiser.  You are continuing to try to make a lie the truth, and no amount of statistics are going to ever make that happen.

And more importantly, you've failed in your attempt to misdirect the discussion away from a$$ clown's lack of trust in his players.

Facts are facts, and Tebow and Harvin on average combined for over 60% of all touches in Florida's 7 close games over the last 2 years.  You couldn't give 2 players 100% of the touches, but 60% is a high number for only 2 players for any team in a game.

I'll give you something to compare to, our 2008 team and the top two ball carriers/receivers in each game:
Memphis - Eason and McCluster combined for 20 of 47 touches (42.5%)
Wake Forest - Bolden and Eason combined for 22 of 49 touches (44.9%)
Samford - Bolden and Eason combined for 21 of 51 touches (41.2%)
Vanderbilt - Eason and McCluster combined for 26 of 52 touches (50%)
Florida - Bolden and McCluster combined for 26 of 47 touches (55.3%)
South Carolina - Bolden and McCluster combined for 27 of 54 touches (50%)
Alabama - Davis and McCluster combined for 21 of 51 touches (41.2%)
Arkansas - Eason and McCluster combined for 32 of 59 touches (54.2%)
Auburn - Eason and McCluster combined for 32 of 56 touches (57.1%)
ULM - Eason and Davis combined for 26 of 59 touches (44.1%)
LSU - Eason and McCluster combined for 35 of 62 touches (56.5%)
MSU - Eason and McCluster combined for 21 of 60 touches (35.0%)
Texas Tech - Bolden and McCluster combined for 33 of 63 touches (52.4%)

So, not once did our top two ball carriers/receivers combine for more than 60% of the game's touches last year in any single game.  So when Tebow and Harvin combine for nearly 65% in a game, that's a heavy dose for only 2 players.  And when you have playmakers like those two, you can afford to lean on them that heavily even if you have other playmakers on the field.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 10, 2009, 02:19:25 pm
Facts are facts, and Tebow and Harvin on average combined for over 60% of all touches in Florida's 7 close games over the last 2 years.  You couldn't give 2 players 100% of the touches, but 60% is a high number for only 2 players for any team in a game.

I'll give you something to compare to, our 2008 team and the top two ball carriers/receivers in each game:

So, not once did our top two ball carriers/receivers combine for more than 60% of the game's touches last year in any single game.  So when Tebow and Harvin combine for nearly 65% in a game, that's a heavy dose for only 2 players.  And when you have playmakers like those two, you can afford to lean on them that heavily even if you have other playmakers on the field.

OK, don't let go of it.

You are pushing a SPECIOUS ARGUMENT.

FACT: Hootie doesn't trust his TE's enough to throw them the ball.

Question:  WTH does this have to do with running a balanced offense and spreading the ball vs. getting the ball to your playmakers??

Answer:  NOTHING.  It has zero to do with it.  You continue to try to use some BS stats to prove OM isn't the only team that relies on its' playmakers.  THAT'S NOT THE ISSUE!!  Get off of it already.

Hootie not trusting his TE's results in him keeping them in for pass blocking WAY TOO MUCH.  That results in less receivers a defense has to account for, which means less open spaces in the defense, which means less open receivers, which means more incompletions, more interceptions, and more sacks.  We've only seen it a millions times over here -- two receivers in the pattern, everyone else kept in to block, except for maybe a FB leaking out to the flats.  No crossing routes, no routes deep down the middle, etc., etc., etc.  It's all a part of the same screwed up mess inside you dumba$$'s head.

I don't give a rip if you give the ball to every swinging d$ck who wears a OM jersey, that's not the issue I confronted you about, and AGAIN you know that full well.  Even though you're trying to act oblivious, I know you are not.  You understand the issue, just like always.  You're just like your man -- you don't want to own up to the issue at hand -- avoid the issue and avoid the truth!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rebelbruiser on September 10, 2009, 02:19:25 pm

And BTW, your stats are BS because OM doesn't run an option offense that requires the QB to run often.  THAT'S the difference in your stats.  Again, ANY other player and Tebow will always have a high % because that's the offense Meyer runs -- he wants the ball in Tebow's hands a lot.

rebelbruiser

September 10, 2009, 02:55:43 pm #147 Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:57:17 pm by rebelbruiser
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 10, 2009, 02:42:41 pm
And BTW, your stats are BS because OM doesn't run an option offense that requires the QB to run often.  THAT'S the difference in your stats.  Again, ANY other player and Tebow will always have a high % because that's the offense Meyer runs -- he wants the ball in Tebow's hands a lot.

And yes my argument has everything to do with the original statement.  You asked why we didn't throw to the TE more.  I told you because our TE starter wasn't 100% and the two guys behind him were redshirt freshmen that aren't as trusted with the football as their older, more experienced counterparts at other skill positions.

I showed you that even at Florida, Meyer puts the hands most often in the hands of his older, more experienced players.  It would be nice to have Aaron Hernandez, and if we did, I'm sure we'd get the ball to the TE more, but we don't have Aaron Hernandez.

Two other things, 1) we don't always have a TE in on every play, and 2) our O-line is expected to struggle more with pass blocking this year than they did last year, which means we'll likely have to leave a TE or an extra back in the backfield this year to help with pass protection.

Last year we would often run routes with 4 or 5 receivers were in the pattern.  This year, you'll likely see more 3 and sometimes even 2 receiver routes to help out our O-line, or at least we'll be doing that more often than we did last year.  It's all about knowing your personnel and doing what it takes to make the offense go.  It doesn't help your QB to have 5 receivers in the route if he's on his back.  If your OL is going to have trouble, you may have to leave in an extra blocker or two.

If the OL proves it can handle the pass rush, we'll see more 4 and 5 receiver patterns later in the year.  And when Gerald Harris gets back to 100% healthy, we'll see him more involved in our passing offense in the pass routes.

And yes, 2 receiver routes can work if you use them primarily on running downs, and you use play action.  Snead hit Hodge right before halftime for about 30 yards on a 2 receiver route, because the defense was expecting run, and we ran play action, drawing in the defense leaving Hodge one on one.  And last year in the Egg Bowl, MSU thought we were going to run out the half with just about a minute to go.  We ran a play action pass with only 1 receiver in the route, and we hit Mike Wallace behind the defense for about a 70 yard TD pass.

Petrino did something similar to us on a 3rd and 1 last year.  I want to say it was DJ Williams in the pass route, but he ran a play action pass on 3rd and 1, and Williams was the only guy in the pattern.  It drew in the defense and Williams was open, but Dick overthrew him, and you punted.

The Hogfather

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 10, 2009, 02:39:32 pm
You are pushing a SPECIOUS ARGUMENT.

I agree with you, but you use "specious" more than anyone else in the world.  :)

Carry on.

hognc2010

Rebelbruisier

So you want to see HDN at his best  Well let me show you -
I want you to go and watch these two Uof A games
Go watch our 2005 and 2006 game against USC -
That is what you called spanked - Now second game notice PC doesn't speak to HDN  You know why - Prior to the game he made smart a** remarks - He knew he lied to the kids -

Well guess what  It won't be long before you sit thru a game like that and when it is over you will see he is NO TOP 5 coach.

He will never be that good. 

Watch the games and you can see he blew it here as that should of been the years his kids were there and no one elses.