Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saturday night...nostalgic and bitter-sweet.

Started by Tejano Jawg, November 05, 2007, 12:16:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Just got back to Dallas last night...missing football season already.

Saturday was a great day for football...love that mountain air. Plenty of time to tailgate with friends and family in the afternoon. Got to mix a little with some former Hog football players (including some from the 76 Cotton Bowl championship team) who were there for the series of Frank Broyles send-off parties. Man, it hasn't seemed that long since the Troy game.

I actually liked the way they orchestrated Frank's halftime deal. I'm glad it wasn't over the top. Frank slowly walking out one last time through the "A" followed by many former Hog greats was a fitting last tribute. We all know Frank needed to step aside years ago from the AD role, but Saturday night put into perspective some of what he'd accomplished...thinking about his former players and teams, looking at Razorback Stadium from high atop Section 507, practice facility over the wall, Bud Walton in the distance, and so on.

Also, and as significant, it was the last time we will see Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis and Marcus Monk at a home game on campus. Hillis and Monk--2 key players in their 4-year careers at Arkansas. Both contributed a lot as freshmen...and now they're done.

And DMac and Felix--2 Greek gods wearing cardinal headgear. To see them both go out having spectacular, record-setting nights...those guys alone have been worth the price of admission for 3 years. We've all seen history made with #5 and #25, plus have been given many great memories to think back on...right alongside mine of watching Stoerner passing to Lucus, Cobbs running over Texas (twice), Gary Anderson running and catching all over the field, and Ron Calcagni pitching to Jerry Eckwood and Ben Cowins. That's good company. I was proud to be a Razorback and be a part of all that on Saturday night.

Until next year...pig sooooie.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mo_Better_Hogs

Nice  post. This was a good read before going back to talk about "the coach we don't speak of."

It was a great football day. And the atmosphere was much better playing a decent SEC school than the last few baby cakes I've watched in F'ville.

I still spent most of the game worrying about our D giving up, so didn't have as much time to devote to thinking about DMac, Felix (and the rest) in their final game. We all have been on board for a rare ride.

DeltaBoy

It still doesn't matter if we don't FIRE NUTT.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 05, 2007, 01:57:43 pm
It still doesn't matter if we don't FIRE NUTT.

Given the positive nature of the original post, I was refraining. But yeah, fire Nutt.