Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hunter Milligan to Arkansas

Started by schmidt2301, June 29, 2016, 01:40:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

schmidt2301

Per his twitter account, Hunter Milligan of Greenbrier has decommitted from Mississippi St and committed to Arkansas.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=369150

navyhog24

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Scott7703

redleg

I agree, this is great to see!
But if Milligan really is that good and rated that high, I seriously doubt we will ever see him in a Razorback uniform. If he is drafted as high as he is projected to be drafted, then he'd be stupid to not sign and get the seven figure signing bonus. Any agent worth their salt would have a "baseball organization will pay for the players college" clause in the contract.
Like I said, this is great news! But it is dubious at best.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

The_Iceman

Quote from: redleg on June 29, 2016, 03:10:54 pm
But if Milligan really is that good and rated that high, I seriously doubt we will ever see him in a Razorback uniform. If he is drafted as high as he is projected to be drafted, then he'd be stupid to not sign and get the seven figure signing bonus. Any agent worth their salt would have a "baseball organization will pay for the players college" clause in the contract.

Agreed. That is what's tough about college baseball and the process. If he is a talented LHP in high school, he will get drafted high.

jry04

He is a highly rated prospect, but not so high that we don't have a chance to get him to campus. We have 3-4 guys in this class alone who are ranked higher by Perfect Game coming out of HS this year, than Milligan is currently in his class. He already said he will have to get 1st or 2nd round money in order to consider leaving because of how much better college baseball is than the minors. Sounds like he is looking for 7 figures to skip college, and his high school coaches are encouraging him to go to college unless he gets that huge signing bonus.

JHicks3636

I'd rather be worrying about keeping a recruit rather than never having him committed.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 29, 2016, 04:03:39 pm
I'd rather be worrying about keeping a recruit rather than never having him committed.

No kidding
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Maddhog

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 29, 2016, 04:03:39 pm

Sure thing.

jry04

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 29, 2016, 03:58:26 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jun/29/states-top-player-decommits-mississippi-state-pled/
Article isn't accurate. He isn't the #7 recruit on PG. He was in 2014. He probably did a quick google search, and didn't check the dates. He isn't projected a first round pick, and he is barely top 200, which is still a great prospect.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jry04 on June 29, 2016, 04:25:16 pm
Article isn't accurate. He isn't the #7 recruit on PG. He was in 2014. He probably did a quick google search, and didn't check the dates. He isn't projected a first round pick, and he is barely top 200, which is still a great prospect.

That is the perfect range for an Arkansas prospect. Good enough to come in and contribute year 1, but really make an impact year 2, but not good enough to go in the draft.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: jry04 on June 29, 2016, 04:25:16 pm

Correct. When he was a 15 year old lefty that could hit upper 80s, he was very highly ranked. Kinda peaked early with maybe some arm/back issues I think.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 29, 2016, 04:46:12 pm
Correct. When he was a 15 year old lefty that could hit upper 80s, he was very highly ranked. Kinda peaked early with maybe some arm/back issues I think.
He hit 90 at a PG event back in 2014 and hasn't seen a velo increase since then. He does have the ideal frame for a P at 6-4 so more velo is probably in there. This is a solid pickup in what is turning out to be an excellent 2017 class for Vitello.

The_Iceman

Maybe just show him Drew Smyly and Dallas Kuechel. Spend 3 years at Arkansas and be in the pros in a year or two. Or, go to a pro team and spend 5 years on a bus in tiny towns with coaches changing all the time. While you give up the money on the front end, I think the SEC is a great place to develop as a pitcher and be ready for the pros (not sure about hitters).

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 29, 2016, 09:05:50 pm

He hit 90 at a PG event back in 2014 and hasn't seen a velo increase since then. He does have the ideal frame for a P at 6-4 so more velo is probably in there. This is a solid pickup in what is turning out to be an excellent 2017 class for Vitello.
So where does he typically work? 85-88?

I heard one of the morning sports goobers this morning claim he was 93 mph guy.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 30, 2016, 09:58:57 am
So where does he typically work? 85-88?

I heard one of the morning sports goobers this morning claim he was 93 mph guy.

He pitched in the Team USA TOS last week which was covered by PG and PBR. He worked 84-88, but pitched very well against the top players in the country. I believe he gave up 2 hits in 5-6 innings.

FraggleHog

True... but then there is this...

"It would take life-altering money for me to decide to not go to college," Milligan said. "I've been told by my pitching coach (Dustin Mosley), who is a former Major League Baseball pitcher, that the bus rides and being in the minor leagues is just not that fun. He also said that you are more prepared by going to college and that will make your time in the minors a lot less. I also want to get a degree so my mindset right now is to go to college."
Calling the Hogs from DFW

The_Iceman

Quote from: FraggleHog on June 30, 2016, 10:44:37 am
True... but then there is this...

"It would take life-altering money for me to decide to not go to college," Milligan said. "I've been told by my pitching coach (Dustin Mosley), who is a former Major League Baseball pitcher, that the bus rides and being in the minor leagues is just not that fun. He also said that you are more prepared by going to college and that will make your time in the minors a lot less. I also want to get a degree so my mindset right now is to go to college."

That is good advice from his coach. And that is not just because he is going to Arkansas, but because he see and hear of a lot of high school kids that get burnt out from all of that. At least in college, if things don't work out, you have a degree and a solid base of friends and support from the University going forward in life.

Maddhog

Good advice from that coach.  Of course I am completely neutral....

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 29, 2016, 09:05:50 pm

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 30, 2016, 10:33:20 am
He pitched in the Team USA TOS last week which was covered by PG and PBR. He worked 84-88, but pitched very well against the top players in the country. I believe he gave up 2 hits in 5-6 innings.
He hit 90mph at that national showcase last week too, according to PG.

PG had him sitting at 87-90mph with his fastball. Listed him at 6'4" 215lbs. The previous event he attended that PG covered was in October of 2015, and had him at 87-89mph range, with a changeup of 82 mph.

PorkRyan

From PG:
Hunter Milligan (2017 LHP, Greenbrier, AR)-Big, strong build with a long arm action and drop, drive delivery. FB worked 87-89 mph with a power curveball at 76 mph with tight spin.

PBR had him at 84-88 the following week.

jry04

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 30, 2016, 12:20:51 pm
From PG:
Hunter Milligan (2017 LHP, Greenbrier, AR)-Big, strong build with a long arm action and drop, drive delivery. FB worked 87-89 mph with a power curveball at 76 mph with tight spin.

PBR had him at 84-88 the following week.
I was just going off what the PG website says.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/PlayerProfile_Events.aspx?ID=369150

Big Nasty 34

In high school he has been 84-87 I would say. Been there for a couple years too.