Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

July is a huge month for BB recruiting and evaluating.

Started by nwahogfan1, June 27, 2016, 09:54:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

I hope we can find a diamond out there.   I look forward to the recruiting guys insights on this subject.   Anyone going to Vegas, Peach Jam or Orlando to watch some of the bigger Summer tournaments?

Seems like we have some awesome targets at the 2 and 3 with a reasonable chance of picking up another commitment in the fall.   But I want us to also sign a 6'8ish combo 4/5.  An athlete who can run the floor and a tough inside rebounder/defender with some potential to score.   Curious if we are recruiting a HS kid who can play this position?   I really think this is a big need position in this class.

Razorod

I wonder if we'll go JUCO for the type of player you're describing at the combo/hybrid slot.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

navyhog24

Gafford is the tough inside rebounder/defender already. We need another big though. I really like the Garrison Brooks kid. I hope Coach A offers him

King Kong

Really, you started another thread declaring your want for another 6-8+ player?

Your other 25 thread were not enough?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: King Kong on June 27, 2016, 05:54:42 pm

Haha! This guy and 6'8ers

hogwood

Quote from: Razorod on June 27, 2016, 04:33:57 pm
I wonder if we'll go JUCO for the type of player you're describing at the combo/hybrid slot.

I'm surprised we haven't even heard of any JUCO prospects for 2017. It makes me think Anderson prefers the 3 & 4 year HS kids and the JUCOs are just a must right now to bring in experience. Though Anderson has also used JUCOs in all his programs, maybe his ideal team wouldn't even have any.

ShadowHawg

Would much rather have a 6'6" combo guy than a slow inside player in this system.

azhog10

I want us to sign a guy with a similiar size and skill set as Lebron. I'm sure these coaches know of one or two but just haven't pulled the trigger on them yet for some reason. Not sure what they are waiting for.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on June 28, 2016, 09:05:02 am
I want us to sign a guy with a similiar size and skill set as Lebron. I'm sure these coaches know of one or two but just haven't pulled the trigger on them yet for some reason. Not sure what they are waiting for.

Maybe not Lebron, but we did have a Russell Westbrook type player in state that ended up going to Kentucky.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 28, 2016, 09:11:27 am
Maybe not Lebron, but we did have a Russell Westbrook type player in state that ended up going to Kentucky.
I'm going to pretend you didn't say that......

ShadowHawg

LOL. If you mean he shoots as much as Westbrook maybe.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 29, 2016, 12:46:11 am
LOL. If you mean he shoots as much as Westbrook maybe.

Much better prospect than Westbrook at this stage of the game. Definitely his ceiling comparison.

hawgrunner

hogwood

I think we end up with two more guards in this class, and no more bigs unless it's a late add due to someone transferring. I think we get a pure SG type and then a CG type. Just predicting based on all the attention on guards right now. Essentially it seems the staff is trying to end up with a C (Gafford), a SF (Hall), a long wing/guard, and a combo-guard who can run the point as well as score.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 29, 2016, 11:22:29 am
Much better prospect than Westbrook at this stage of the game. Definitely his ceiling comparison.

Not really. Westbrook was known as an ELITE level athlete. That is also Monk's greatest attribute. He is a streaky shooter who actually shoots a knuckleball a lot more than a guy his size should.

It will be interesting to see how he does this season.

RealHog

Quote from: King Kong on June 27, 2016, 05:54:42 pm

Hahaha. At least he didn't specify 240+

RealHog

JK but really, we need some post guys. Would love to get one committed myself.

Hawg Red

June 30, 2016, 07:08:00 am #17 Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:46:21 am by Hawg Red
We have a lot of frontcourt spots filled over the next two seasons. It might be tough to reel in a highly-rated big man if they look at the roster (which I'm assuming all kids do) and they see so many juniors (Thompson, Thomas, Cook) and then they see that we also signed two frontcourt players out of the prep ranks (Bailey, Hazen). That's 5 players that will have the leg up on them, and then you also have Darious Hall already committed as a swingman that could play in the frontcourt, to go along with Gafford. It doesn't appear the staff has completely given up on finding another big (offer to Lance Thomas, heavy interest in Garrison Brooks), but it looks like they are picking their shots here and selling a couple of guards on Hannahs, Watkins, and maybe even Barford leaving after this season.

I think the staff might look to sign a big man in the late period if they see someone like they who isn't hung up on immediate playing time, but otherwise, I think they are keen to wait until 2018 and try to bring in guys like Henderson and Perry (who I realize aren't exactly "big men," but they still have some time to grow). I don't think it's imperative to have a big man courted, committed, and signed in the early period, but they will need to get on the ball after that. We won't be hurting for forwards in the next two seasons.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 29, 2016, 11:22:29 am

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 29, 2016, 08:40:26 pm
Not really. Westbrook was known as an ELITE level athlete. That is also Monk's greatest attribute. He is a streaky shooter who actually shoots a knuckleball a lot more than a guy his size should.

It will be interesting to see how he does this season.

BigNasty34 is correct on this.  Westbrook wasn't even on the same universe as a recruit as Monk is.  Not even close. 

Monk is a McDonald's AA
Scout.com rated 5* #13 overall player, Rivals 5* rated #9 overall player

Westbrook was rated 4* #66 overall player by Scout.com, 3* unrated nationally by Rivals.com.  Scout has Westbrook with just the UCLA offer.  Rivals shows other offers to Arizona St, Creighton (visited), Kent St (visited), Miami and San Diego.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1843

http://www.scout.com/player/72751-russell-westbrook/recruiting?year=2005&s=75

And it isn't like he set the world on fire at UCLA either. 
His Fr year he played in 36 games, averaging 9 minutes a game, 3.4 ppg, .8 rpg, .7 apg, .7 tpg, .4 spg
His So year he played in 36 games, averaging 33.8 min a game, 12.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.3 apg, 2.5 tpg, 1.6 spg

yes, I KNOW he played with a lot of talent at UCLA, and the system BH ran was more defense oriented which kept stats/numbers down.  But RW wasn't RW until his So year in college after Collison got hurt

Hawg Red

Westbrook was also viewed as a reach when he was drafted #4 overall by the Seattle SuperSonics.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 28, 2016, 03:29:50 am
Would much rather have a 6'6" combo guy than a slow inside player in this system.

A D1 level team with no players taller than 6'6" isn't going to win many games. The Hogs badly need a 6'10" or taller true #5 spot player who runs the floor well. They only have 1 this coming season and he's a Senior. They have only one player who is 6'10" offered for 2017. They need more.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 12:47:22 pm
A D1 level team with no players taller than 6'6" isn't going to win many games. The Hogs badly need a 6'10" or taller true #5 spot player who runs the floor well. They only have 1 this coming season and he's a Senior.

I think as long as you have a 6'9" or taller Center that can control the paint with defense and rebounding, you can surround him with shooters and slashers and be alright. A true 4 isn't really needed anymore, which is why you see the stretch 4 more often.

hogwood

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 12:47:22 pm
A D1 level team with no players taller than 6'6" isn't going to win many games. The Hogs badly need a 6'10" or taller true #5 spot player who runs the floor well. They only have 1 this coming season and he's a Senior. They have only one player who is 6'10" offered for 2017. They need more.

I would like for us to be taller, but I don't really want a true 5. When you say a true 5, I think of slower guys that are intimidating on D and just hang around down low on offense. That doesn't fit our system. Our best center would be a Tristan Thompson type guy, and he's not even a true C. He played PF his whole career until 1.5 years ago. We can get by with big 4's instead of traditional 5's, but they still need to be tall. I would like to have 4 guys every year who are 6'8" plus.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 30, 2016, 12:52:10 pm
I think as long as you have a 6'9" or taller Center that can control the paint with defense and rebounding, you can surround him with shooters and slashers and be alright. A true 4 isn't really needed anymore, which is why you see the stretch 4 more often.

Nolan originally thought that too then realized his mistake and signed 6'11" Darnell Robinson to come off of the bench his freshman season and help Corliss underneath which led to a National Title. Mike needs to follow his mentor's lead.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 02:03:50 pm
Nolan originally thought that too then realized his mistake and signed 6'11" Darnell Robinson to come off of the bench his freshman season and help Corliss underneath which led to a National. Mike needs to follow his mentor's lead.

The game has changed a lot since 1994.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 30, 2016, 02:05:34 pm
The game has changed a lot since 1994.

True, but not in that respect. Where it has really changed is on the perimeter.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on June 30, 2016, 01:57:45 pm
I would like for us to be taller, but I don't really want a true 5. When you say a true 5, I think of slower guys that are intimidating on D and just hang around down low on offense. That doesn't fit our system. Our best center would be a Tristan Thompson type guy, and he's not even a true C. He played PF his whole career until 1.5 years ago. We can get by with big 4's instead of traditional 5's, but they still need to be tall. I would like to have 4 guys every year who are 6'8" plus.

Moses Kingsley is the perfect "5" for our system.

Hawg Red

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 30, 2016, 02:08:09 pm
Moses Kingsley is the perfect "5" for our system.

I agree. He's the "True 6'10" #5 player" I was speaking of. When I speak of true #5 spot players, I'm referring to those 6'10'' or taller players who dominate the lane and run the floor well. I'm not referring to the old slow lane dominating half court style of center.

The_Iceman

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 30, 2016, 02:27:10 pm
Just as Daniel Gafford will be.

He'll have some mighty big shoes to fill in his first year as a Hog.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 03:10:19 pm

He is physically ahead of where Kingsley was when he arrived on campus. Defense and Rebounding should be good day one. His offense will likely just be put backs and garbage baskets until he develops that part of his game. But with the roster he will have around him, and a Senior Trey Thompson to battle in practice, he should be alright.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 03:10:19 pm

I think he can be a 10 point, 6 rebound player as a freshman. On activity and floor-running alone, he should be able to average around 10 points. Love his floor. Can he reach the ceiling? I think he'll have a big junior season but his first two seasons will not be a disappointment. His production will be closer to Bobby Portis than Moses Kingsley compared to their freshman and sophomore seasons.

RealHog

Honestly Gafford reminds me more of Kingsley. Portis was far more polished than Gafford at this stage, though Portis was less of an athlete. Kingsley has always been able to glide the floor and jump high and rebound and block shots. I think Gafford will put up better state than Kingsley though just based off opportunity. There won't be a Portis on the team.

Jonteviosk

No ice Malik isn't even worthy of being Russells bitgch sorry
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RealHog on June 30, 2016, 08:25:38 pm
Honestly Gafford reminds me more of Kingsley. Portis was far more polished than Gafford at this stage, though Portis was less of an athlete. Kingsley has always been able to glide the floor and jump high and rebound and block shots. I think Gafford will put up better state than Kingsley though just based off opportunity. There won't be a Portis on the team.

"Moses Kingsley is the perfect "5" for our system." ---> "Just as Daniel Gafford will be."

"His production will be closer to Bobby Portis..."

No one is comparing Gafford, as a player, to Bobby Portis. Only a statistical comparison.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 01, 2016, 06:26:06 am
"Moses Kingsley is the perfect "5" for our system." ---> "Just as Daniel Gafford will be."

"His production will be closer to Bobby Portis..."

No one is comparing Gafford, as a player, to Bobby Portis. Only a statistical comparison.

Moses as a Freshman: 4 ppg, 3 rpg, 1.5 blks

Bobby as a Freshman: 12 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.6 blks.

So if Gafford split the difference at 8 ppg, 5 rpg, and 1.5 blks....I'd be happy with that for sure!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 01, 2016, 08:06:42 am
Moses as a Freshman: 4 ppg, 3 rpg, 1.5 blks

Bobby as a Freshman: 12 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.6 blks.

So if Gafford split the difference at 8 ppg, 5 rpg, and 1.5 blks....I'd be happy with that for sure!

I thnk he'll do that, maybe better rpg's... his movement and skills remind me of a Tim Duncan type, rather than either BP or Moses..... he'll develop scoring but be strong defense and rebounding...

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Jonteviosk on July 01, 2016, 01:46:51 am
No ice Malik isn't even worthy of being Russells bitgch sorry

Geez, someone still has their feelings hurt. Monk is way better at this stage compared to RW. Sorry the truth hurts some folks.