Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pat Summitt Dead at 64

Started by DeltaBoy, June 26, 2016, 07:38:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FANONTHEHILL

When we played at Tennessee in Nivember of 2007 I was the guest of a friend and watched in their suite at Neyland. About half way through the third quarter,
Coach Summit came to the box.  We talked for about 10-15 minutes.  I was blown away.  The rough, yelling, angry coach was one of the nicest, soft spoken people I've met.  She is class all the way.  I hated to hear that she had contracted early onset Alzheimer's.  Thoughts and prayers for her family.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

greenie

Coach Summit is one of the greats.  A real tribute to UT, the SEC, and women's collegiate sports.  Prayers for her and her family.

Pulled(PP)pork

Not sure how to take this news.....dementia/Alzheimer's is not typically a fast disease. I wonder if they downplayed it from the start

PP

Arkamedes

Praying for Pat Summitt, her family, and her caregivers. This is a horrible disease and I hope we can find a cure soon.
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

Hogwop

Hate to hear this. I've got nothing it respect for Coach Summit
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 26, 2016, 10:16:26 pm
Not sure how to take this news.....dementia/Alzheimer's is not typically a fast disease. I wonder if they downplayed it from the start

PP

I believe she's had it for well over 5 years. You obviously haven't been around this disease like many others have, myself included. She may have gotte. Much worse recently, but she hasn't been well for sometime now. Also doctors at this time have no real time table with it, it's different with ever case

PORKULATOR

I'm praying for that woman and her family for sure.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 27, 2016, 07:57:50 am
I believe she's had it for well over 5 years. You obviously haven't been around this disease like many others have, myself included. She may have gotte. Much worse recently, but she hasn't been well for sometime now. Also doctors at this time have no real time table with it, it's different with ever case
youre probably right.....I worked geriatric psych for 2 hrs and in the healthcare field for 22yrs.....smdh

PP

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 27, 2016, 01:40:37 pm
youre probably right.....I worked geriatric psych for 2 hrs and in the healthcare field for 22yrs.....smdh

PP

You just don't know any better
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on June 27, 2016, 02:02:18 pm
You just don't know any better
ive misplaced my "dunce" cap somewhere.....

PP

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 27, 2016, 01:40:37 pm

PP

Why Yes, you being an ER nurse in mid west tennessee makes you able to diagnose Heart disease, cancer by smell, and a prick by breathing. 

People with Alzheimer's live anywhere form 1-2 years after being diagnosed all the way to 10+.  So someone that has had it now for just about 5 years and you as the medical professional you are going to accuse them for down playing it and then to sound intelligent to inform it's not a fast disease.  Well MR smarty pants, I don't expect you to come here and say you were wrong.  But you were even with your so distance expertise and ability to be a SA. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 27, 2016, 03:26:21 pm
Why Yes, you being an ER nurse in mid west tennessee makes you able to diagnose Heart disease, cancer by smell, and a prick by breathing. 

People with Alzheimer's live anywhere form 1-2 years after being diagnosed all the way to 10+.  So someone that has had it now for just about 5 years and you as the medical professional you are going to accuse them for down playing it and then to sound intelligent to inform it's not a fast disease.  Well MR smarty pants, I don't expect you to come here and say you were wrong.  But you were even with your so distance expertise and ability to be a SA.
talk about a prick with ears, you totally missed what I was saying....let me slow it down for you

They....may ....have....been....hiding....how....long....she....was ....suffering....from....it, ....to....preserve....her....dignity....and....legacy. Of....course....its....a....case....by....case....situation.

So, defending my knowledge and experience now makes me a smartass?  So be it

PP

TUSKtimes

Hope no has to live through Alzheimers with a family member. It's like going to a funeral every day. But one of the subtle but effective pieces of helpful tips I got was some information Frank Broyles put out in some small publications, as he chronicled going through this ordeal with his wife. No two people will go through the physical and emotional symptoms the same. Plenty of common sense things to daily do and consider. But to appreciate Frank's loyalty to his wife is thought-provoking and heart rendering. If you read his thoughts and advice, it can't help make us even more careful for all out families who want dignity and honor to the end.

Pulled(PP)pork

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=133

On average, people with Alzheimer's disease live for eight to ten years after their symptoms begin. However, life expectancy does vary considerably depending on how old the person is and other factors as mentioned above. For example, people whose symptoms started in their 60s or early 70s can expect to live for around seven to ten years, whereas someone whose symptoms started in their 90s will, on average, live for about three years. The length of time that someone with Alzheimer's can expect to live for also depends on whether they were diagnosed early on or later in the course of the disease.

Seems I wasn't so dumb after all....

PP

Pigsknuckles

Dang pork...maybe we have not agreed on everything, but why are you getting dog piled? Seems way out of proportion, if not out of line.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on June 27, 2016, 05:03:24 pm
Update.

http://wkrn.com/2016/06/27/pat-summitts-pastor-family-no-longer-allowing-visitors-death-imminent/

My father-in-law passed away Friday afternoon after a 4+ year battle with dementia and a myriad of other physical problems.  Sad that she's going, but she's not the Pat Summitt now that her family has known for all these years.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 27, 2016, 04:01:30 pm
Dang pork...maybe we have not agreed on everything, but why are you getting dog piled? Seems way out of proportion, if not out of line.
i made a harmless statement about her health and got attacked, I guess I should of just cowered back into the corner

PP

Iwastherein1969

Heartfelt prayers to the Great Lady and her loving family.    My grandma died of this back in the late 60's, she was but 58 years old. The most insidious thing about the disease is that it takes away the essence of how people perceived you and vice versa. Back in those days the doctors called it, "hardening of the arteries" and had little to no understanding of the disease. I watched my father for years grieve himself to tears because he thought his own mother was rejecting him even though they had been so close all his life. My dad, just like doctors back then didn't understand. And that's the heinous, sickening, horrible thing about this disease, the family tries to understand, but they just can't.  I wish science, if they can't find a cure, could just give a temporary stay on the memory of the person suffering so they can say all the things to their loved one's before the sickness consumes them and they die. There's nothing you can say to make the pain go away. Nothing. And that's the hatefulness of the whole of the dementia experience. Helplessness.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 27, 2016, 06:50:16 pm
i made a harmless statement about her health and got attacked, I guess I should of just cowered back into the corner

PP
I guess Pork wasn't expecting to be interogated by C. Everett Coop about his medical credentials.

FaulknerHogfan

Damn bitc%es.. quite slapping each other and grow up internet bully guys.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 27, 2016, 06:50:16 pm

PP

Your statement wasn't harmless. it was far less than harmless.  Just an observation.

hogwildinhouston

It's being reported this morning that Pat Summitt has passed away.

TheShow

She has indeed passed away, it will no doubt be a sad week and holiday weekend here in Knoxville and East TN.

FANONTHEHILL

RIP Coach Summit.  Great coach, great lady. It was an honor to meet you.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 27, 2016, 10:26:32 pm
Your statement wasn't harmless. it was far less than harmless.  Just an observation.
yes it was, some just look for shiite

RIP Coach Summitt

PP

ALLVOL

Her career speaks for itself. But she was an even better person. I had the honor of being around her multiple times and she was always gracious and genuine.

As a Vol, thank you to my HV family for your thoughts and prayers. Once again your class shines.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jswineberiaskirk

Much respect to a great lady and human being. Condolences to the family.

oldhawg

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 27, 2016, 10:26:32 pm

I must be totally missing something.  Seems to me that Pulled Pork's comments were pretty innocuous.  Perhaps there is a little history between you and him that I am not aware of?  But just out of curiosity, what was so harmful about his comments?   

GunnerHawg70

A legendary coach whom transcended basketball at any level...RIP Coach
:razorback:

hoglady

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 27, 2016, 03:44:50 pm
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=133

On average, people with Alzheimer's disease live for eight to ten years after their symptoms begin. However, life expectancy does vary considerably depending on how old the person is and other factors as mentioned above. For example, people whose symptoms started in their 60s or early 70s can expect to live for around seven to ten years, whereas someone whose symptoms started in their 90s will, on average, live for about three years. The length of time that someone with Alzheimer's can expect to live for also depends on whether they were diagnosed early on or later in the course of the disease.

Seems I wasn't so dumb after all....

PP

Don't you think the most likely scenario is she had symptoms for 2 to 3 years before being diagnosed?
Symptoms that at her age she and those around her would most likely disregard?
I mean if you're 70 and start having memory problems - you are kind of on the alert for dementia / Alzheimers - mid 50's not so much. Summitt herself couldn't really pinpoint a time when her symptoms first started.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

She is the Godmother of women's college basketball.
Summitt and Leon Barmore at La. Tech really elevated the women's game to where it is today.
Without those 2 - don't know where it would be.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 26, 2016, 10:16:26 pm

PP

must of have, because my mother-in-law just passed but it was a long 5 years of downhill. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: hoglady on June 28, 2016, 03:12:15 pm
Don't you think the most likely scenario is she had symptoms for 2 to 3 years before being diagnosed?
Symptoms that at her age she and those around her would most likely disregard?
I mean if you're 70 and start having memory problems - you are kind of on the alert for dementia / Alzheimers - mid 50's not so much. Summitt herself couldn't really pinpoint a time when her symptoms first started.
very well could have been, usually dismiss forgetting simple things as the aging process. She was a high profile person, and it could have been she knew something was wrong but downplayed it, because she wasn't ready to hang up the whistle. We probably will never know for sure. But I never ever meant to disparage her,  and I don't understand how it came across that way. But then again, I'm the only one who knew my true thoughts when posting that.

PP

hoglady

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 28, 2016, 03:44:02 pm
very well could have been, usually dismiss forgetting simple things as the aging process. She was a high profile person, and it could have been she knew something was wrong but downplayed it, because she wasn't ready to hang up the whistle. We probably will never know for sure. But I never ever meant to disparage her,  and I don't understand how it came across that way. But then again, I'm the only one who knew my true thoughts when posting that.

PP

I didn't take your comments as disparaging.
I've just always figured it may have taken her a while to realize she had something terribly wrong.

GolfnHog

College sports, college basketball and everyone lost a icon. Sad day!

PP I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I certainly understood what you were saying. Apparently the poster(not worth mentioning the name) that took exception to your observation is having a bad week and the Midol and extra strength Advil isn't working.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

oldfart

What is really amazing if you considered how she started coaching. I think she was a PE graduate student and they needed someone to coach a beginning basketball program for women.  she started the program from literally nothing with literally no coaching experience and with literally nothing to work with and made it into one of the premier programs in all collegiate sports.  I'm a UT graduate from long before her time began but really haven't been too associated with the UT program since I left there in 1959 but my siblings back in Tennessee were/are rabid Lady Vols fans and have attended every home game for years.

Pulled(PP)pork

I think Delta needs to change the thread title to:

First Lady of Basketball passes at 64

jmo

PP

ALLVOL

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 28, 2016, 06:57:06 pm
I think Delta needs to change the thread title to:

First Lady of Basketball passes at 64

jmo

PP
Classy post PP.

26.2Hog

Quote from: oldhawg on June 28, 2016, 11:13:12 am
I must be totally missing something.  Seems to me that Pulled Pork's comments were pretty innocuous.  Perhaps there is a little history between you and him that I am not aware of?  But just out of curiosity, what was so harmful about his comments?

The way I worded that post was obviously confusing.  I was trying to make your point that his comment was totally innocuous and was based on a simple observation. I thought his comment was so benign that it didn't even belong on the scale that would measure harmless to harmful.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 28, 2016, 09:33:34 am
Her career speaks for itself. But she was an even better person. I had the honor of being around her multiple times and she was always gracious and genuine.

As a Vol, thank you to my HV family for your thoughts and prayers. Once again your class shines.

RIP Coach Summitt.
Class, Professional, Tough, Fair, Successful, Genuine, Caring, Legacy.........Missed.

Prayers.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

vol_in_ar

tough day, for the Tennessee faithful

She was the best

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

pigture perfect

I think many of you have said what I wanted to. I'll just say Amen.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

McKdaddy

Quote from: hoglady on June 28, 2016, 03:56:25 pm
I didn't take your comments as disparaging.
I've just always figured it may have taken her a while to realize she had something terribly wrong.

My assumption as well, PP.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

GuvHog

Prayers for Coach Summitt's family. That's a horrible disease. My mother was diagnosed with Dementia a little over 10 years ago...and counting. It's been a long hard road for my family.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ALLVOL

Quote from: GuvHog on June 29, 2016, 02:49:06 pm
Prayers for Coach Summitt's family. That's a horrible disease. My mother was diagnosed with Dementia a little over 10 years ago...and counting. It's been a long hard road for my family.
I'm so sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers to your dad and family.