Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: "It’s kind of nice to be a dinosaur"

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 28, 2015, 06:08:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Don't count on Arkansas coach Bret Bielema getting sucked into college football's spread phenomenon.

Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze and Kevin Sumlin can all keep their sexy spread-em-out offenses; Bielema's content being a dinosaur.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bret-bielema-kind-nice-dinosaur/
Go Hogs Go!

gmarv

good article on how cbb thinks.thanks for the link.

Hawgzinbowlz

Opponents will dread seeing us get off the bus. Believing we're the toughest will go a long way toward being the toughest. "GO HOGS"

havok

Isn't it strange, how it use to be every season teams had to go find players to "Emulate" that one Wide open spread team to practice against, and put a game plan together to combat that "unique" style no one ever sees....

...But now teams have to find players to emulate the now unique traditional downhill power, in your face style to practice against for that 1 or 2 times a year they see it.   And prepare their finesse team for a physical game plan.

I'd say it is tougher to make a team truly emulate the toughness, (Physically/Mentally) when you have a roster full of fineness players, than a tough team to emulate the finesse type teams for practice. You can't practice getting pancaked and mentally staying strong if your players aren't that way to begin with.

Hawgzinbowlz

From the middle of the 3rd quarter on I think it will be very difficult for finesse teams to sustain our style as we practice physical, smash mouth during every practice. It will take a very athletic and mentally tough finesse team to hang with us after we're built like CBB intends.  "GO HOGS"

hoghiker

If the assertion is true will it not be hard for us to replicate finesse teams? I'd say there are both advantages and disadvantages to being an 'dinosaur'.

gmarv

Quote from: hoghiker on July 28, 2015, 08:08:17 am
      If the assertion is true will it not be hard for us to replicate finesse teams? I'd say there are both advantages and disadvantages to being an 'dinosaur'.
dinosaur against caveman with spear.dinosaur steps on caveman.end of story.there would seem to be advantages both ways,but the thinking is the 4th. quarter will go to the strong.

goodguytex

I kind of look for many resemblances to the Stallings Alabama teams during the 90s. I was watching the 95 Alabama/Arkansas game the other day. Hogs won that one. But those bama teams were physically superior and tough on both sides of the line. With overpowering run game, and had the ability to pass effectively too. I believe they won a NC while Stallings was there too.

Hawgzinbowlz

fair point. I think our biggest advantage is that our practice squad will simulate the spread more times during the season, and our D will play more games against the spread than our opponents will practice and play against the physical/smash mouth pro style.  "GO HOGS"

hoghiker

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 28, 2015, 08:25:23 am
fair point. I think our biggest advantage is that our practice squad will simulate the spread more times during the season, and our D will play more games against the spread than our opponents will practice and play against the physical/smash mouth pro style.  "GO HOGS"
Touche'. Can't wait for college football. It's been awhile since I've been this excited about a season. Woo Pig.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hoghiker on July 28, 2015, 08:31:41 am
Touche'. Can't wait for college football. It's been awhile since I've been this excited about a season. Woo Pig.

Agreed. This one will be very fun.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hoggish1

Go as fast as you want and run all over the place, but we're standing right here waiting for you to come to the place you started when the ball was snapped.  Then we'll knock your block off...

It's still about blocking and tackling.

Hawgndaaz

It used to be, we had a lotta fun in this ole hang out.

Get stoned by the jukebox and say outta fights...

threeNout

July 28, 2015, 08:46:27 am #13 Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:41:43 pm by threeNout

Cinco de Hogo

As has always been the case it depends on how far behind the power team gets and what weapons they have to recapture the lead.  We go darn close last year to keeping that from happening in the first place we just couldn't close it out. 

Maybe this year we can But I sure would hate to get behind Auburn by three or four TD's to find out.  Our defense has to play from the first snap you know.

bigbadhog

Gary Patterson is a defensive background head coach that took the opposite direction last year.  We will see which one does better...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

OLDHOG

HeismanHawg

Spread, pro style, option..whatever. Winning football will always come down to defense and running the ball. How you accomplish that is up to the coach and how he sees fit. I'll say this, teams are going to have a hard time if they think they will get "tough" the week they play us. We have almost become like Georgia Tech in how only having a week to prepare for us is going to present problems.

Vantage 8 dude

Certainly some truth to this, HOWEVER, it's usually far more difficult to prepare and then withstand a team that is constantly POUNDING on you all game long. I can tell you for a fact that the friends and acquaintances that I have that root for our SEC opponents this year are DREADING the thought of what it will be like for their players to face us for the full four quarters of the game. They know they're not only going to face the Hogs during that particular contest, but also the residual impact on their bodies the following week(s). Take a look at the results of games last year our opponents played the next week after playing us. I can promise you that time after time they struggled   almost without exception.

LAHOG1962

Love our style. Let TCU play our schedule and then compare the teams. Who are you for anyway?

bigbadhog

Quote from: LAHOG1962 on July 28, 2015, 10:00:38 am
Love our style. Let TCU play our schedule and then compare the teams. Who are you for anyway?

Lifetime Razorback fan.  Who are you for being new to the board? 

Torqued pork

It will be interesting to see how teams do the week after they play the Hogs. I expect them to be quite gimpy. It could be profitable to bet against them for those that gamble.

Hawgzinbowlz

Depth, throughout the roster, is essential for our success as we play 12 regular season games with our style of play while the opposition plays less smash mouth games overall.  "GO HOGS"

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 28, 2015, 08:03:52 am
From the middle of the 3rd quarter on I think it will be very difficult for finesse teams to sustain our style as we practice physical, smash mouth during every practice. It will take a very athletic and mentally tough finesse team to hang with us after we're built like CBB intends.  "GO HOGS"
that is the time of the game the Razorbacks struggled with last year. It was then that they struggled to score and come back or hold a lead to then lose. What actually occurred runs counter to the narrative of this thread.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: LRRandy on July 28, 2015, 10:50:06 am
that is the time of the game the Razorbacks struggled with last year. It was then that they struggled to score and come back or hold a lead to then lose. What actually occurred runs counter to the narrative of this thread.
See my post above yours. Building quality depth is the key to our future success. " GO HOGS "

LR54

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 28, 2015, 09:45:08 am
Gary Patterson is a defensive background head coach that took the opposite direction last year.  We will see which one does better...

Here are some quotes from Bucky's Fifth Quarter (Wisconsin) about the CBB/Chryst offense.

QuoteIn 2010 and 2011, you saw Scott Tolzien and Russell Wilson at quarterback, respectively, take the Badgers' offense to new heights in terms of scoring offense (41.5 and 44.1 points per game) and 49 combined touchdown passes between the two in those seasons (Wilson threw 33 of them in '11).

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2015/7/27/9047919/rbrs-blogger-q-a-with-buckys-fifth-quarter-this-is-a-must-read

IBleedRazorbackRed

The difference is that most of the teams we play against run a spread offense. So we don't have to completely change our preparation like other teams will when they prepare to play against us.

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 28, 2015, 11:00:15 am
I agree with your observation LRRandy - one would think BB has been addressing this over the summer.  It will be interesting to see if this has been turned from weakness to strength.
it could very well be just a step in the progression. They are going to have to play better/tougher in the 4th quarter to turn L's into W's.
This is fun, isn't it.

secneahog

Why do you ALWAYS throw Gary Patterson out there??

Man crush?
You wanted him instead of CBB?

I can understand you admire the guys fball team but please stop carrying his jock strap into every discussion.  :puke:

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Biggus Piggus

Patterson has been running a spread offense for a long time, not just last year. No overnight conversion. He also has the fortune of playing in a conference where everybody throws the football most of the time.
[CENSORED]!

jgphillips3

Quote from: LRRandy on July 28, 2015, 10:50:06 am

The Ohio State we saw in the playoffs was not the same team from the first half of the season.  Take Arkansas in our last four games.  To that, add depth and new weapons.  We will not be the same team that wilted in the 4th quarter for 2/3 of last year any more than OSU is the team that fell apart against VT.  If I were a college football coach, the teams that would give me nightmares this year are Arkansas, TCU and Ohio State.  All for different reasons.

bigbadhog

Quote from: secneahog on July 28, 2015, 11:38:31 am
Why do you ALWAYS throw Gary Patterson out there??

Man crush?
You wanted him instead of CBB?

I can understand you admire the guys fball team but please stop carrying his jock strap into every discussion.  :puke:

Because he is an example of a defensive minded head coach who is smart enough to change is offensive philosophy and stay with the times.  And yes, I would have preferred him to Beliema 1000 times over...

bigbadhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2015, 11:39:56 am
Patterson has been running a spread offense for a long time, not just last year. No overnight conversion. He also has the fortune of playing in a conference where everybody throws the football most of the time.

I didn't say he just ran the spread last year.  He changed philosophy and went to a more aggressive air raid last year and it worked...

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 28, 2015, 01:05:25 pm
I would have preferred him to Beliema 1000 times over...

we know....for God's sake, we get it.

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 28, 2015, 01:18:34 pm
we know....for God's sake, we get it.

Wait, I think he has something he'd like to tell us, give him time.......

bigbadhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2015, 01:20:50 pm

You are right, I do...

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2015, 01:20:50 pm

He'll tell us after Bielema leaves, sometime around 2020.

ricepig

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2015, 01:31:47 pm
Yeah, that he was wrong.

I don't think we'll ever hear that, even if he wins a natty, because he wasn't 75-25 pass/run.

LR54

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 28, 2015, 01:12:48 pm
I didn't say he just ran the spread last year.  He changed philosophy and went to a more aggressive air raid last year and it worked...

In a conference where they didn't face a top 25 defense all year.

Arkansas faced 6 defenses ranked higher than the highest ranked defense TCU faced.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LR54 on July 28, 2015, 01:40:27 pm

Arkansas faced 6 defenses ranked higher than the highest ranked defense TCU faced.

Stop making sense.

LRRandy

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 28, 2015, 12:15:54 pm
The Ohio State we saw in the playoffs was not the same team from the first half of the season.  Take Arkansas in our last four games.  To that, add depth and new weapons.  We will not be the same team that wilted in the 4th quarter for 2/3 of last year any more than OSU is the team that fell apart against VT.  If I were a college football coach, the teams that would give me nightmares this year are Arkansas, TCU and Ohio State.  All for different reasons.
3 out of the last 4. While BA being hurt was an issue the d still surrendered a lead to lose to Mizzou.  I agree with you on the improvement from beginning to end of season for Arkansas. If they progress this year at the rate they did last year they could contend for secw.
This is fun, isn't it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 28, 2015, 01:05:25 pm
Because he is an example of a defensive minded head coach who is smart enough to change is offensive philosophy and stay with the times.  And yes, I would have preferred him to Beliema 1000 times over...
Yep, and for any of us who've been on HV for over a week we've heard your preference for virtually anyone but CBB almost without ceasing and from day one. We get it all ready.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LR54 on July 28, 2015, 01:40:27 pm

Hold on one minute there mister. You've threatening to ruin his "man love/crush" for Patterson. Mustn't do that under any circumstances; besides, it hurts his case for never wanting CBB in the first place.   

MuskogeeHogFan

July 28, 2015, 05:20:00 pm #44 Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:49:17 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: LRRandy on July 28, 2015, 02:20:50 pm
3 out of the last 4. While BA being hurt was an issue the d still surrendered a lead to lose to Mizzou.  I agree with you on the improvement from beginning to end of season for Arkansas. If they progress this year at the rate they did last year they could contend for secw.

They also stuffed the Missouri offense twice in the first half on promising drives, forcing them to kick a 40 and 50 yard FG instead of giving up TD's.

And just before the half when the Arkansas offense had been playing well, they self-destructed, when taking over at the Missouri 47 with 4:32 remaining. Two false starts for -10 yards and a delay of game penalty for another -5 yards. Mental mistakes probably cost us another 3-7 points, and barring that, at least running the clock down precluding Missouri the opportunity for their second FG.

By all rights the halftime score should have been 14-3.

Starting the second half, the Arkansas offense stalls again giving the ball back to Missouri.

Missouri puts together another good drive but again gets stuffed by the defense at the Arkansas 25 and this time, has their FG blocked.

Arkansas' offense  didn't accomplish much in the second half and ends up turning the ball over on failed 4th and 3 attempt at the Missouri 31.

Missouri returns the favor when 3 plays later they lose a fumble to Arkansas.

The Arkansas offense stalls again at the Missouri 34 but Sam Irwin-Hill pins Missouri at their own 6 yard line.

The Arkansas defense is getting tired now with so few extended drives in the second half by the offense and Mauk completes 3 passes in this series for a combined 84 yards. You knew it had to happen eventually, you can't expect the defense to always make up for the mistakes of the offense. Missouri puts 6 on the board and then passes for a 2 point conversion. Score tied 14-14 with 12:41 remaining in the game.

The Arkansas offense takes over at their own 25 and 12 total yards and 2 incompletions later (1:59) Arkansas punts back to Missouri where they start at their own 15.

12 plays and 85 rushing yards later (not a single pass completion), Missouri scores again and taking the lead 21-14.

But the Arkansas offense finally puts a drive together going from their own 25 to the Missouri 37 where with 2:13 remaining, Arkansas fumbles the ball back to Missouri.

The Missouri offense had little success against the Arkansas defense in the first half and when they did have some, they stalled, until the second half when our defense finally was worn down by spending so much time on the field in the second half.

We didn't lose that game because of defense, we lost that game because our offense couldn't sustain second half drives, shot themselves in the foot with senseless penalties, because we didn't have a good long-range FG kicker and because our defense spent far too much time on the field in the second half, thanks to our offensive failures.
Go Hogs Go!

threeNout

good post Musk.

Quote from: threeNout on July 28, 2015, 08:46:27 am

If someone wants to photshop Gus's face onto this guy,  it would be OK.

AugustaHog

Quote from: LRRandy on July 28, 2015, 02:20:50 pm
We didn't sustain a drive at all in the second half of that Mizzou game which certainly hurt the defense's ability to stop Mizzou.  With a healthy BA in that game, I think we win by 2 TD's and our D would not have wilted like it did late.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: goodguytex on July 28, 2015, 08:24:52 am
I kind of look for many resemblances to the Stallings Alabama teams during the 90s. I was watching the 95 Alabama/Arkansas game the other day. Hogs won that one. But those bama teams were physically superior and tough on both sides of the line. With overpowering run game, and had the ability to pass effectively too. I believe they won a NC while Stallings was there too.
Reminds me of the 60's when Green Bay had "the sweep". You knew it was coming, but you could not stop it. I hated GB, being a Cowboys fan. But, you had to respect them.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 28, 2015, 05:20:00 pm
They also stuffed the Missouri offense twice in the first half on promising drives, forcing them to kick a 40 and 50 yard FG instead of giving up TD's.

And just before the half when the Arkansas offense had been playing well, they self-destructed, when taking over at the Missouri 47 with 4:32 remaining. Two false starts for -10 yards and a delay of game penalty for another -5 yards. Mental mistakes probably cost us another 3-7 points, and barring that, at least running the clock down precluding Missouri the opportunity for their second FG.

By all rights the halftime score should have been 14-3.

Starting the second half, the Arkansas offense stalls again giving the ball back to Missouri.

Missouri puts together another good drive but again gets stuffed by the defense at the Arkansas 25 and this time, has their FG blocked.

Arkansas' offense  didn't accomplish much in the second half and ends up turning the ball over on failed 4th and 3 attempt at the Missouri 31.

Missouri returns the favor when 3 plays later they lose a fumble to Arkansas.

The Arkansas offense stalls again at the Missouri 34 but Sam Irwin-Hill pins Missouri at their own 6 yard line.

The Arkansas defense is getting tired now with so few extended drives in the second half by the offense and Mauk completes 3 passes in this series for a combined 84 yards. You knew it had to happen eventually, you can't expect the defense to always make up for the mistakes of the offense. Missouri puts 6 on the board and then passes for a 2 point conversion. Score tied 14-14 with 12:41 remaining in the game.

The Arkansas offense takes over at their own 25 and 12 total yards and 2 incompletions later (1:59) Arkansas punts back to Missouri where they start at their own 15.

12 plays and 85 rushing yards later (not a single pass completion), Missouri scores again and taking the lead 21-14

But the Arkansas offense finally puts a drive together going from their own 25 to the Missouri 37 where with 2:13 remaining, Arkansas fumbles the ball back to Missouri.

The Missouri offense had little success against the Arkansas defense in the first half and when they did have some, they stalled, until the second half when our defense finally was worn down by spending so much time on the field in the second half.

We didn't lose that game because of defense, we lost that game because our offense couldn't sustain second half drives, shot themselves in the foot with senseless penalties, because we didn't have a good long-range FG kicker and because our defense spent far too much time on the field in the second half, thanks to our offensive failures.
cleopatra is not the only queen of denial. Making excuses that he poor wittle defenders got tired is just whine bag delusion. The defense couldn't step up in the 4th quarter.....again. That was my whole point in my earlier post. Excuses or not, you made my point. Thanx
This is fun, isn't it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: SamBuckhart on July 28, 2015, 06:38:06 pm
Reminds me of the 60's when Green Bay had "the sweep". You knew it was coming, but you could not stop it. I hated GB, being a Cowboys fan. But, you had to respect them.
that sweep play modernized the game!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli