Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Sporting News: SEC Out of Conference Schedule-Lots of Cupcakes

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 25, 2015, 07:16:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 26, 2015, 07:32:26 pm
I acknowledge Texas has many more recruits than NJ does but the NE part of the U.S. isn't exactly arid.  A lot of lineman up there......

I'd like to see Arkansas make meaningful recruiting inroads to some parts of the country where the SEC doesn't have so much of a presence.  Go where others aren't - that sort of thing. 

Pittman has proven he'll go anywhere to get anyone, we don't have to play up there for him to be successful. We are going to play one big name OOC a year going forward, and the other three will be whomever we can pay to play in Fayetteville.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 26, 2015, 07:39:07 pm
This - click here is NOT the chart I was looking for but it will do.  Go play where the recruits are. Check out the NE U.S.

There are more recruits in Florida, and Bielema has had success there, yeah, let's go play Pitt so we can go against guys who've recruited there since football started.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 26, 2015, 07:41:54 pm
You're still counting on Texas actually playing the postponed game...at some point?   ;D

I do agree the TCU and Michigan series are steps in the right direction.  I hope there are more games like this on the horizon. 

Not necessarily, but I think we'll play Baylor in Houston in an opening game, probably play an ACC school in Orlando in one after the Michigan series.

Vildsvin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 25, 2015, 11:22:30 am
I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, given that our regular season schedule is usually one of the toughest in the country as well as the most physically testing, I see no harm in scheduling 2-3 cupcakes out of 4 games each season.

There is no denying that our conference schedule once was legitimately one of the toughest in the country but I really dont see any rational leg to stand on for us to continue to lay that claim.

The east has been pitiful for the last few years and like it or not, the west is falling off too. Neither Auburn or LSU is as good as they have been and despite Bama's winning season last year, they really werent tested OOC until the Sugar Bowl vs Ohio St.. They did struggle with West Virginia in week one though.

The SEC just isnt the conference it used to be.. I know the homers will have a hard time with that statement but it's the truth. If I had to rank conferences I'd at least have us as a close second to the PAC-12

GatorHog

Quote from: Vildsvin on July 26, 2015, 07:57:13 pm
There is no denying that our conference schedule once was legitimately one of the toughest in the country but I really dont see any rational leg to stand on for us to continue to lay that claim.

The east has been pitiful for the last few years and like it or not, the west is falling off too. Neither Auburn or LSU is as good as they have been and despite Bama's winning season last year, they really werent tested OOC until the Sugar Bowl vs Ohio St.. They did struggle with West Virginia in week one though.

The SEC just isnt the conference it used to be.. I know the homers will have a hard time with that statement but it's the truth. If I had to rank conferences I'd at least have us as a close second to the PAC-12

Trolls usually start their own threads..

Vildsvin

Quote from: GatorHog on July 26, 2015, 08:03:07 pm
Trolls usually start their own threads..

As I said, the homers will likely have a tough time with that statement

Lake City Hog

Vildsvin

Quote from: Lake City Hog on July 26, 2015, 08:18:26 pm
Exactly what are you basing the Pac 12 on?

The whole PAC-12 south has been on the upswing and was dominate last season. A lot of the reasons those teams were dominate are returning this year. Even Utah that finished fifth in the south played a quality schedule and competed well.

While Oregon was the only one in the north that did much, Stanford has also been dominate for years before last season. If they get their team back on track, i suspect they will, the PAC-12 will begin to resemble what the SEC did during it's BCS run.

I understand that it's likely me vs the world here with this opinion because I know how our fans are.. I know how all SEC fans are.. we are a bunch of homers.

Here's another thing a lot of people arent going to want to hear.. the media (which does have influence on coaches and committees) did give the SEC a huge benefit of the doubt last season and are likely doing it again this year with the preseason rankings.

I think our conference is still one of the best out there but I dont think we are nearly as good overall as we used to be.. we certainly dont deserve to start the season off in the driver's seat.

Hoggish1

Quote from: The NewEra on July 25, 2015, 09:45:39 am
There was a time when I use to worry a lot about trap games.  Mainly under Nutt.  Under this coach I don't.  The physicality he instills in the players as well as his unique ability to get the team to focus on the task at hand and somehow make it a must win game have managed to put me at ease. 

KevinOMReb

Quote from: sowmonella on July 26, 2015, 10:38:44 am
Ole Miss, MS State & Mizz always schedule no name cupcakes.

Mississippi State is the worst.  Have you seen their non conf schedule?  Just pathetic. 
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb