Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas: Needs to win, and win now

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 24, 2015, 06:53:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 24, 2015, 11:04:39 am
umm, there are 3 four-stars waiting in the wings, and a high-3star that will be a four with tthe season he's about to have. Don't think we've EVER had that much qb potential on our bench before.
developing them beyond potential and getting them off the bench and being productive on the field is the issue. Bielema clearly didn't have anyone he trusted to be put in a game at Missouri. The 12th game of the year. A whole season to develop a backup yet there was not one he could play.
This is fun, isn't it.

TOM "tbw1"

It still amazes me that we have some who are looking at the past to find future Arkansas performance.

For the first time since the 1960s there is a recruiting plan in place to build a football team from year to year. 

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

chitwnhog

Bielema needs more "erotic" moments. Period.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 24, 2015, 11:36:02 am
If we go 8-5 and 7-6 the next two years, many of you will be upset.  It could happen, not because of a throwback system, but because of the talent and depth Bielema faces on a weekly basis during the conference season. 

I think we'll do better than 8-5 and 7-6 because I wear Pantone 202 (or whatever it is) colored glasses, but if don't, I'll still be happy with Bielema as long as his teams play with passion and pride and as long he and his players continue to represent the UofA the way they are now.

Not me. 8-5 and 7-6 would mean 25-26 over 4 years. why one Earth would anyone be satisfied with that?

We are 10-15 under CBB so far. Anything less than getting to .600 at the end of year 4 is unacceptable.  I fully expect 9 and 3 this season to be our final record. That would put us at 19-18 at the end of year 3.

That would move us to 51.4% under CBB. Let's say we had a drop off in '16 and went 7-5. That would be 26-23. That would be a 53% record. Terrible.

However, I'm willing to accept that year 1 simply doesn't count against Coach. It wouldn't be fair to penalize him for what was going to be a terrible year no matter , so let's just toss those 12 games out and assume that we DO go 9-3 and then 7-5.

That would be 23-14 in 3 seasons where CBB gets the credit and blame . That would be a winning percentage of 62%. That leaves room for one more loss either way to stay above .600 from 2014-2016 seasons. Or a combined total of 16-8 for the next two seasons to go with last season's 7-6.

That means your scenario of 13-11 over the next two seasons won't cut it and should result in a change.

Unless you just want to stick with the guy cuz you like him, in which case, I say no thanks, we had a decade of that already.

And going .600 over 3 seasons is a pretty minimal requirement.

Kevin

Sense we will be replacing our
Quarterback
At least 1 running back
Best wr
At least 2 o linemen

Like to win big this year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on July 24, 2015, 01:33:50 pm
Sense we will be replacing our
Quarterback
At least 1 running back
Best wr
At least 2 o linemen

Like to win big this year
While Hatcher may be our best WR, we will be fine at WR, in my opinion. We will return Hollister, Reed, Morgan, Cornelius, and I have big expectations from Pettway. Hatcher is a quality player, but I do not think he is something that cannot be replaced. I personally think we are building enough depth on offense to just plug in a new player and keep moving. O-Line depth is at a place where we will lose players to the draft each year, and replace them with another draft prospect. Reed could be a game changer, and we have 2 or 3 quality QBs for next season in Peavey, Allen, and Storey. The only question is how big of a factor lack of experience will be, because the talent will be there.

Kevin

Experience is the big factor. I think the replacement maybe more talented, but have no or limited experience
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 09:19:44 am
You homers crack me up, next year WILL be a rebuilding year, that's just what happens when you have a coach going into year 4 of a process. Now, can we win 7 or 8 games in a rebuilding season the way an Alabama or Florida or LSU does rather than 4 or 5 the way we've been used to? I think yes, but EVERY program has those seasons where they have to retool, ours is next year, so unless Coach wants to go 4 seasons without winning big, the author is correct, THIS is the season we must do it.

At Arkansas, year four is not going to be a down year for very many positions on the football field. You are right, though, could be an 8-win kind of year if the Oline transition is difficult. Replacing running backs isn't the hardest thing by any means. And by golly we'd better be ready for the QB transition after developing several backups for several years. Major QB transition problems only happen when you build your offense around a one-of-a-kind talent and have nobody remotely comparable behind him. Like Auburn in 2011-12.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on July 24, 2015, 12:22:59 pm
It still amazes me that we have some who are looking at the past to find future Arkansas performance.

For the first time since the 1960s there is a recruiting plan in place to build a football team from year to year. 

[CENSORED]!

HappyHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 24, 2015, 01:51:27 pm
At Arkansas, year four is not going to be a down year for very many positions on the football field. You are right, though, could be an 8-win kind of year if the Oline transition is difficult. Replacing running backs isn't the hardest thing by any means. And by golly we'd better be ready for the QB transition after developing several backups for several years. Major QB transition problems only happen when you build your offense around a one-of-a-kind talent and have nobody remotely comparable behind him. Like Auburn in 2011-12.

To be clear, when I say rebuilding year, I don't mean like the Nutt days when  rebuild meant starting over from scratch. But in 2016 we are going to have a LOT of new starters on the field, that's a rebuild, but a 7 or 8 win rebuild rather than a 4 win rebuild.

Theolesnort

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 09:19:44 am
You homers crack me up, next year WILL be a rebuilding year, that's just what happens when you have a coach going into year 4 of a process. Now, can we win 7 or 8 games in a rebuilding season the way an Alabama or Florida or LSU does rather than 4 or 5 the way we've been used to? I think yes, but EVERY program has those seasons where they have to retool, ours is next year, so unless Coach wants to go 4 seasons without winning big, the author is correct, THIS is the season we must do it.

This squad is reaching a development stage where rebuilding should almost be reloading instead. You are using conventional wisdom in your analysis, in other words what seems apparent to the eye. There just might be more here than just the apparent stuff. Stay tuned this season, if enough new names surface then you just might be willing to reassess.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 24, 2015, 02:03:11 pm
This squad is reaching a development stage where rebuilding should almost be reloading instead. You are using conventional wisdom in your analysis, in other words what seems apparent to the eye. There just might be more here than just the apparent stuff. Stay tuned this season, if enough new names surface then you just might be willing to reassess.

I'm willing to reassess given reason to do so. I just don't think it's going to happen. I think CBB knows he has to produce this season and he's going to , by riding his starters, I don't think we'll see many future starters getting much PT this season, barring injury. Certainly not at the skill positions anyway.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 02:21:48 pm
I'm willing to reassess given reason to do so. I just don't think it's going to happen. I think CBB knows he has to produce this season and he's going to , by riding his starters, I don't think we'll see many future starters getting much PT this season, barring injury. Certainly not at the skill positions anyway.

Bielema is confident in this team because of the quality of competition at virtually every position, not because of the quality of his starters.
[CENSORED]!

GuvHog

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 01:54:15 pm
To be clear, when I say rebuilding year, I don't mean like the Nutt days when  rebuild meant starting over from scratch. But in 2016 we are going to have a LOT of new starters on the field, that's a rebuild, but a 7 or 8 win rebuild rather than a 4 win rebuild.

There may not be as many new starters as you think. If no one on the defense leaves early for the draft, the Hogs will return 10 starters on that side of the ball in 2016.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 24, 2015, 02:31:36 pm
Bielema is confident in this team because of the quality of competition at virtually every position, not because of the quality of his starters.

If his next two classes are similar to his last two, we are in good shape for the long haul. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LAHOG1962

We need to make sure that another QB is given plenty of playing time  this year. No substitute for experience.If we are solid at quarterback, the 2016 team will be better than this one.Much of our best talent is freshmen and sophomores.

Hoginsavga

As a fan with zero influence on recruiting the only season I am concerned with at the present is 2015. I am planning to sit back and enjoy the season that will hopefully have a lot of wins. This time next summer I will be looking forward to 2016.

With that said, I think it's extremely important to have a successful season which equates to 8 or more wins to keep the momentum going forward for recruiting. I think our level of talent in our players and depth is present to achieve that goal.

I hope the coaches take a little different approach this year in the close games and keep the foot on the pedal throughout the second half and only start milking the clock when we have a two possession lead with less than 5 minutes left in the game. In other words, focus more on executing the next play rather that running the play clock down to four seconds. I know I may be in the minority on this subject but that's what I thought contributed to a couple of losses last season.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 24, 2015, 02:31:36 pm

That doesn't even make sense. Even a program like Alabama , who continually pulls in top 5 recruiting classes, drops off in talent when 2 and 3 year starters leave. That's just natural. If the players behind them were better than they were, they wouldn't be 2 and 3 year old starters.

I know youre trying to say that our depth is getting better so it won't hurt as much when players leave, but it's still going to result in a lower level of play,, at least until the new starters can get some experience.

Theolesnort

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 02:21:48 pm
One point I would like to make. Five of the last six teams that won the National Championship had first year starters at Qb running the show. Now I am not saying this will happen at Arkansas but I am saying give Enos his head and let him do his thing and then let us see where we are. This is going to be a very physical and strong team this Fall, one of the strongest in the country and it will collectively be stronger next year. Add some skill and it could really be something.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Theolesnort

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 04:13:05 pm
That doesn't even make sense. Even a program like Alabama , who continually pulls in top 5 recruiting classes, drops off in talent when 2 and 3 year starters leave. That's just natural. If the players behind them were better than they were, they wouldn't be 2 and 3 year old starters.

I know youre trying to say that our depth is getting better so it won't hurt as much when players leave, but it's still going to result in a lower level of play,, at least until the new starters can get some experience.

Biggus is saying good back up depth keeps the starters on their toes excelling and exerting themselves to stay starters. A rising tide lifts all boats. Starters and backups. No wonder Bielema is confident.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 04:13:05 pm

Biggus's post makes perfect sense. Any coach can feel confident when he has a slew of starters returning, but when a HC feels confident not only because of the quality of his starters, but those backing them up, because of what he has witnessed with his own two eyes from that depth, that brings a different level of confidence. And it isn't important whether you or any of us "buy" what Bielema is saying, all that matters is that those with direct, daily access to the program and the players, believe it based on what they see them doing.

So I have to kinda chuckle when I hear you say that you "are willing to reassess your position on this given reason to do so". Really? Man, we are in great anticipation of the moment that you are willing to reassess your position. Well, not really.

You need to step down off the pedestal that you have placed yourself upon and give this staff some credit. They actually get paid a lot of money to do this kind of thing and if they feel very confident of the level of developed depth on this team, then maybe, just maybe, you need to give them the benefit of the doubt. Unless of course you have been coaching P-5 level football for as many years as they have. If you have, I'll be glad to hang up and listen.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Plus starters get passed up all the time all over the country because some backups are more talented and they develop fast because they want it more.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 24, 2015, 07:27:18 pm
Plus starters get passed up all the time all over the country because some backups are more talented and they develop fast because they want it more.

Yes, I agree and as you say, not every player develops at the same pace. Some quicker, some not so quick and a lot of factors play into this.
Go Hogs Go!

LJHOG

Look guys!  How long did it take Alvarez and Bielema to get Wisconsin to be able to compete in the Big 10 against the recruiting advantage of OhSt and Michigan??  Think it will be any quicker against Bama, LSU, Auburn, etc.  I don't.

Hawgzinbowlz

CBB will use the depth we have while playing to win. He is not building a one shot wonder season for 2015. He is building a team for the long haul. To think that CBB will disregard building depth for future teams and only focus on this coming season is lacking any study of CBBs coaching...that idea is laughable.
An integral part of Coach Bielema's program is to have that program reload without having to rebuild, from very little to nothing, for following years.
We have improved both our level of recruiting and quality of staff.
We'll have a very successful '15 and be ready for '16, and beyond, with enough experience returning to field competitive SECW teams.

" GO HOGS "

WarPig88

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 24, 2015, 06:53:13 am
SB Nation writer David Wunderlich details why he feels that Arkansas may need to win big this year.

"It's likely that every one of those names I just mentioned will be gone next year, most of them to the NFL. It's a bit early to be doing 2016 season previews, but it's hard to imagine that team not taking a step or two back from where the 2015 team will be. Absent a big 2015, the end of 2016 will mean four years without a whole lot to show for it. Everyone knows that Bielema walked into a major rebuild, but in this day and age, that's a long time to not have a big season to point to. It's especially so when you're making $4 million a year."

Scan the article and post your opinions of what he had to say. Is this year the year that Bielema really needs to win big? Will we fall off in 2016?

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2015/7/20/9002451/sec-2015-arkansas-razorbacks-football-season-preview?_ga=1.201746513.1788813579.1431640829

That's captain obvious stuff.

After next season we will be breaking in a new qb and likely new running backs. Hunter Henry could be gone as well. That would be a lot of turnover to deal with.

If in years 4 and 5 we still winning 6 to 8 games the natives will become restless regardless of how much the local media loves CBB.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 24, 2015, 07:23:27 pm
Biggus's post makes perfect sense. Any coach can feel confident when he has a slew of starters returning, but when a HC feels confident not only because of the quality of his starters, but those backing them up, because of what he has witnessed with his own two eyes from that depth, that brings a different level of confidence. And it isn't important whether you or any of us "buy" what Bielema is saying, all that matters is that those with direct, daily access to the program and the players, believe it based on what they see them doing.

So I have to kinda chuckle when I hear you say that you "are willing to reassess your position on this given reason to do so". Really? Man, we are in great anticipation of the moment that you are willing to reassess your position. Well, not really.

You need to step down off the pedestal that you have placed yourself upon and give this staff some credit. They actually get paid a lot of money to do this kind of thing and if they feel very confident of the level of developed depth on this team, then maybe, just maybe, you need to give them the benefit of the doubt. Unless of course you have been coaching P-5 level football for as many years as they have. If you have, I'll be glad to hang up and listen.

To be clear, I love our coaching staff, and am happy with the direction of our program. I do expect 2016 to be a bit of a rebuilding year, that is not a reflection of not trusting or liking this coaching staff.

Also, I am not on a pedestal, and haven't even acted like I am, I've merely posted my OPINION. Isn't that the purpose of this board?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Already worrying about 2016 is absurd. This staff is developing depth, coach has a long term plan and is recruiting accordingly. A lot of the talent leaving was not just recruited but developed. Every team loses their starting QB eventually. Just another writer throwing crap at the wall because their is nothing better to do right now.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 24, 2015, 07:23:27 pm

forgive people that might want a little bite with that bark. The team finished strong, of that there is no argument. But Bielema is 2-14 in the sec. The team is definately trending up but some of you are acting like they are coming off multiple 10 win seasons. Someone in this thread even mentioned a rebuilding year of 8 wins. This team hasn't won 8 games in 5 seasons and people are jumping to that win total as a floor number. Your tone in the quoted post is one of arrogance. I understand excitement about a coming season, but to look down your nose at someone that wants to wait and see borders on the ridiculous. Your all knowing P5 coach that sees so much also bragged about going after Alabama ( then lose 104-0) and dared people to sit back and watch. Well everyone watched him lose 13 consecutive conference games. You may not be able to understand someone waiting to assess the season as it goes along, but with Bielemas track record to date it makes sense to do just that. 
This is fun, isn't it.

Theolesnort

Quote from: LJHOG on July 24, 2015, 07:37:31 pm
Look guys!  How long did it take Alvarez and Bielema to get Wisconsin to be able to compete in the Big 10 against the recruiting advantage of OhSt and Michigan??  Think it will be any quicker against Bama, LSU, Auburn, etc.  I don't.
Don't? It is already happening right before your eyes. Use your God given powers of observation instead of peering from a distance. Physically this team has already caught up. It is the skill positions that are not in our favor right now or so it seems.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on July 24, 2015, 08:41:32 pm
forgive people that might want a little bite with that bark. The team finished strong, of that there is no argument. But Bielema is 2-14 in the sec. The team is definately trending up but some of you are acting like they are coming off multiple 10 win seasons. Someone in this thread even mentioned a rebuilding year of 8 wins. This team hasn't won 8 games in 5 seasons and people are jumping to that win total as a floor number. Your tone in the quoted post is one of arrogance. I understand excitement about a coming season, but to look down your nose at someone that wants to wait and see borders on the ridiculous. Your all knowing P5 coach that sees so much also bragged about going after Alabama ( then lose 104-0) and dared people to sit back and watch. Well everyone watched him lose 13 consecutive conference games. You may not be able to understand someone waiting to assess the season as it goes along, but with Bielemas track record to date it makes sense to do just that. 

Another naysayer heard from. Eleven Warriors, Scarlet and Game and Buckeye Planet are calling for you. We'll take care of our site.
Go Hogs Go!

Augustus

Hot seat, my ass. Apparently this guy didn't at all research Bielema's updated buyout, if fired "for convenience".

Regardless of how we do in 2016 or 2017, and regardless of what extent the Bielema haters think they could do a better job... Bielema is most likely our Coach until 2019. (assuming he doesn't pull a Petrino)

Here are Bielema's buyout #'s, from the most recent contract:
YEAR                                    AMOUNT
1/1/2015 - 12/31/2015        $15.4 Million
1/1/2016 - 12/31/2016        $15.4 Million
1/1/2017 - 12/31/2017        $15.4 Million
1/1/2018 - 12/31/2018        $11.7 Million
1/1/2019 - 12/31/2019        $7.9 Million
1/1/2020 - 12/31/2020        $4 Million

I don't see us firing Bielema for on-field performance, until AT LEAST 1/1/2018.  We'd have to pay a $15.4 Million buyout, PLUS whatever buyout of the Coach we hire next... we'd be spending probably $20 Million to get a new coach.

Remember, Jim McElwain's buyout at COLORADO STATE was $7.5 Million.

Plus, Bielema has a strict non-compete clause across the entire SEC. It's not like he can jump ship and go to another SEC school.

And, if Bielema isn't performing well here... what Big12 or Pac12 school will pay him what he's making here?  It would be Iowa State, and he would buy himself out of the contract based on emotion.

Bielema is going to Coach the Hogs for quite a while, and I'm ok with that.

Just my opinion.

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 24, 2015, 08:52:17 pm
Another naysayer heard from. Eleven Warriors, Scarlet and Game and Buckeye Planet are calling for you. We'll take care of our site.
not a naysayer. Calling you out on your arrogant tone. I believe the win total is going up this year. I've said so multiple times. But for you to belittle someone that wants to take a wait and see aproach is laughable.You act like the team is 14-2 under Bielema not 2-14.  Are you going to come back and call him an egg sucker when the team beats the first three cupcakes?

Oh, and I've been to one of those sites today. Multiple times. I like to visit many sites. I'm comforted knowing you are taking care of this one.
This is fun, isn't it.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 24, 2015, 11:32:35 am
2016 is 100% dependent on QB production/ability IMO. We will be very talented and experienced everywhere else with the slight possible exception of OL, I think that will be next man up more so than QB.

The big reason I don't think it will be a huge step back is that besides the addition of TCU in the non-con, the rest of the schedule is much more favorable than 2015 in that my projected toughest teams are all at home, save Aubie.

The SEC as a whole should be better in 2016 than in 2015.

The SEC is really wide open this season.  It is one of the reasons why we need to win some SEC games this season.

As of now, the SEC this upcoming season doesn't have any elite QBs (Johnson at Auburn has a chance to be elite).

The SEC this upcoming season doesn't have any elite Offensive Linemen (Tunsil at Ole Miss is overrated).

As of now, the SEC this upcoming season doesn't have any elite Wide Receivers (there are a couple of WRs at Texas A&M who have a chance to be elite).

The SEC this upcoming season really only has 1 elite Defensive Tackle (A'Shawn Robinson at Alabama).

The SEC this upcoming season does have some elite Running Backs. 

This is the season for us to have a good chance to make some noise in the SEC West.

lefty08

What?  LOL
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Paul

forgive people that might want a little bite with that bark. The team finished strong, of that there is no argument. But Bielema is 2-14 in the sec. The team is definately trending up but some of you are acting like they are coming off multiple 10 win seasons. Someone in this thread even mentioned a rebuilding year of 8 wins. This team hasn't won 8 games in 5 seasons and people are jumping to that win total as a floor number. Your tone in the quoted post is one of arrogance. I understand excitement about a coming season, but to look down your nose at someone that wants to wait and see borders on the ridiculously. Your all knowing P5 coach that sees so much also bragged about going after Alabama ( then lose 104-0) and dared people to sit back and watch. Well everyone watched him lose 13 consecutive conference games. You may not be able to understand someone waiting to assess the season as it goes along, but with Bielemas track record to date it makes sense to do just that.
are you saying BB lost to Bama 104-0?  He lost by 1 point last year & it was his 2nd game vs Bama.  Remember?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 07:51:30 pm
To be clear, I love our coaching staff, and am happy with the direction of our program. I do expect 2016 to be a bit of a rebuilding year, that is not a reflection of not trusting or liking this coaching staff.

Also, I am not on a pedestal, and haven't even acted like I am, I've merely posted my OPINION. Isn't that the purpose of this board?

Pedestal Percher.
;)
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

redeye

I was looking at the depth chart the other day and thinking how 2016 could be our year, so I obviously don't agree with him.

LRRandy

Quote from: lefty08 on July 24, 2015, 10:25:38 pm
What?  LOL
its been 5 years since the team won 8 games in a season. To say that rebuilding years of 8 wins to be the norm going forward seemed odd to me.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Paul on July 24, 2015, 11:51:37 pm
are you saying BB lost to Bama 104-0?  He lost by 1 point last year & it was his 2nd game vs Bama.  Remember?
you're right. Smith lost one of the 52-0 games. I was wrong.
This is fun, isn't it.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LRRandy on July 25, 2015, 07:45:01 am
its been 5 years since the team won 8 games in a season. To say that rebuilding years of 8 wins to be the norm going forward seemed odd to me.
10 wins in 2010 and 10 wins in 2011 regular seasons.

LRRandy

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 25, 2015, 07:47:55 am
10 wins in 2010 and 10 wins in 2011 regular seasons.
yeah, math is not a specialty. The adding versus subtracting thing trips me up. Only 3 years.
This is fun, isn't it.

lefty08

Quote from: LRRandy on July 25, 2015, 07:46:32 am
you're right. Smith lost one of the 52-0 games. I was wrong.

Understatement of the year
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Redbug

Quote from: LRRandy on July 25, 2015, 09:18:04 am
Only 3 years.

So yeah...3 years....not making excuses BUT....you also have to note that one of those years was John L "Smiley" Smith coached...which was probably the worst Razorback Football season in the last 60 years. Followed by CBB's FIRST year here  and the LONG turnaround that has been in progress over the last 25 games.

Sure I've been pissed at times....the 2013 Razorback defense (CBB's 1st yr) was probably the worst I've ever seen at the UofA

The lack of QB play/DEVELOPEMENT has been lacking/headscratching...was it Talent? or COACHING?...

BA playing injured ON GUTS in the 1st year of transition in 2013

The lack of SCORING OFFENSE in KEY possessions in conference last season was our kryptonite...

Still as work in progress....

But I'm looking forward to watching it...

Hawgzinbowlz

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on July 24, 2015, 09:09:08 pm
not a naysayer. Calling you out on your arrogant tone. I believe the win total is going up this year. I've said so multiple times. But for you to belittle someone that wants to take a wait and see aproach is laughable.You act like the team is 14-2 under Bielema not 2-14.  Are you going to come back and call him an egg sucker when the team beats the first three cupcakes?

Oh, and I've been to one of those sites today. Multiple times. I like to visit many sites. I'm comforted knowing you are taking care of this one.

You should be.
Go Hogs Go!

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Augustus on July 24, 2015, 08:52:50 pm
Hot seat, my ass. Apparently this guy didn't at all research Bielema's updated buyout, if fired "for convenience".

Regardless of how we do in 2016 or 2017, and regardless of what extent the Bielema haters think they could do a better job... Bielema is most likely our Coach until 2019. (assuming he doesn't pull a Petrino)

Here are Bielema's buyout #'s, from the most recent contract:
YEAR                                    AMOUNT
1/1/2015 - 12/31/2015        $15.4 Million
1/1/2016 - 12/31/2016        $15.4 Million
1/1/2017 - 12/31/2017        $15.4 Million
1/1/2018 - 12/31/2018        $11.7 Million
1/1/2019 - 12/31/2019        $7.9 Million
1/1/2020 - 12/31/2020        $4 Million

I don't see us firing Bielema for on-field performance, until AT LEAST 1/1/2018.  We'd have to pay a $15.4 Million buyout, PLUS whatever buyout of the Coach we hire next... we'd be spending probably $20 Million to get a new coach.

Remember, Jim McElwain's buyout at COLORADO STATE was $7.5 Million.

Plus, Bielema has a strict non-compete clause across the entire SEC. It's not like he can jump ship and go to another SEC school.

And, if Bielema isn't performing well here... what Big12 or Pac12 school will pay him what he's making here?  It would be Iowa State, and he would buy himself out of the contract based on emotion.

Bielema is going to Coach the Hogs for quite a while, and I'm ok with that.

Just my opinion.
Iowa, not Iowa State, but otherwise you are correct. Even if we wanted to fire him, can't afford it.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

razorbacksnum1

Quote from: jry04 on July 24, 2015, 07:53:46 am
And it isn't a given that Hunter Henry and Alex Collins leave. RBs haven't been near as desirable in the NFL draft as of late, which has resulted in a lot of talented backs returning to college. You have to be a top 5 RB prospect in the entire draft to break the top 3 rounds, usually. I am not sure Collins will be that this season, but would be if he returned.

Hunter Henry will be drafted, but I am not sure he will be drafted high enough to warrant leaving early, and his family fine financially. I think we will be fine whether they stay or leave, but there is a chance we could be just as good or better in 2016, in my opinion.

Hunter is currently the highest rated NFL prospect on the Hogs. He's the highest rated junior that Coach B has ever coached. I don't know if HH will come out early or not but if he has a good year he will have that option.

Augustus

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 25, 2015, 07:16:13 pm
Iowa, not Iowa State, but otherwise you are correct. Even if we wanted to fire him, can't afford it.

LOL good catch. I always get Coach B & Justin Acri confused on their schools

NuttinItUp

Anyone even slightly insinuating that Bielema's seat is the least bit warm is mistaken.