Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas: Needs to win, and win now

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 24, 2015, 06:53:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

SB Nation writer David Wunderlich details why he feels that Arkansas may need to win big this year.

"It's likely that every one of those names I just mentioned will be gone next year, most of them to the NFL. It's a bit early to be doing 2016 season previews, but it's hard to imagine that team not taking a step or two back from where the 2015 team will be. Absent a big 2015, the end of 2016 will mean four years without a whole lot to show for it. Everyone knows that Bielema walked into a major rebuild, but in this day and age, that's a long time to not have a big season to point to. It's especially so when you're making $4 million a year."

Scan the article and post your opinions of what he had to say. Is this year the year that Bielema really needs to win big? Will we fall off in 2016?

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2015/7/20/9002451/sec-2015-arkansas-razorbacks-football-season-preview?_ga=1.201746513.1788813579.1431640829
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

I don't think his seat is even warm right now. There are plenty of people that would like it to be thoug, for whatever reason they can come up with. He's getting paid the going rate for the conference, no issues there. His resume' was as good as anyone would expect when he was hired. Shows an enormous amount of pride in his program. Graduates his athletes. He is everything he guaranteed in his first press conference so far.

This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 24, 2015, 07:05:31 am
I don't think his seat is even warm right now. There are plenty of people that would like it to be thoug, for whatever reason they can come up with. He's getting paid the going rate for the conference, no issues there. His resume' was as good as anyone would expect when he was hired. Shows an enormous amount of pride in his program. Graduates his athletes. He is everything he guaranteed in his first press conference so far.

I think the premise of the article is more that the Hogs need to win in 2015 because some people expect them to not do as well in 2016 due to significant graduation/draft losses after this season. But yeah I agree, Bielema is far from being on the coaching hot seat.
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

I think we win out at home this year with close victories over Auburn and State. Beat Tennessee but lose close at Tuscaloosa. We win a close one over LSU late in the season to extend Smith's dominance over LSU.

All guesses right now. But its how I see it from the preseason.
This is my non-signature signature.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas will be fine in 2016, despite losses, because of the improving depth situation. This is the kind of story that Team Speed Kills loves to do. Crackpot nitpicking from afar without any research beyond scanning a roster.
[CENSORED]!

Theolesnort

In 2016 the offense may take a step back but the defense may step up to elite. Over all the whole squad will be more developed and talented in 2016 but it is really to early to be sure.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Pork Twain

I see us just getting our depth to a sustainable level this year and peaking next year.  I think we will continue to improve but are far from must win.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 24, 2015, 07:47:14 am
In 2016 the offense may take a step back but the defense may step up to elite. Over all the whole squad will be more developed and talented in 2016 but it is really to early to be sure.

The biggest challenge to me in '16 will be getting the offensive line solid across the board. But I have some faith in Pittman.
[CENSORED]!

jry04

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 24, 2015, 07:47:14 am
And it isn't a given that Hunter Henry and Alex Collins leave. RBs haven't been near as desirable in the NFL draft as of late, which has resulted in a lot of talented backs returning to college. You have to be a top 5 RB prospect in the entire draft to break the top 3 rounds, usually. I am not sure Collins will be that this season, but would be if he returned.

Hunter Henry will be drafted, but I am not sure he will be drafted high enough to warrant leaving early, and his family fine financially. I think we will be fine whether they stay or leave, but there is a chance we could be just as good or better in 2016, in my opinion.

lefty08

I think most of the expected step back is due to losing BA. Which is ironic to me considering the criticism he takes. The lines should always be strong under this staff and I don't see any reason not to think that as of now
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

GlassofSwine

I think we have more depth than the writer gives us credit for. I actually think there is a good probability Collins will be back. The NFL doesn't place a high premium on running backs and unless he is a solid 1st or 2nd rnd pick I would be surprised if he left. Hunter Henry is a great player but we have some very good depth at TE. I like Keon Hatcher but again I think the younger talent there will be good. With BA, losing the experienced starter will hurt but,  I think with the offense we run we don't need a guy who has to win games as much as manage them. I like the young talent we have at QB. I could see a step back  but not a big one.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 24, 2015, 07:51:57 am
The biggest challenge to me in '16 will be getting the offensive line solid across the board. But I have some faith in Pittman.
We are thinking alike in this Biggus. Even more so than replacing Allen the oline in 16 will be the key. Running backs, receivers and other pieces can be replaced swiftly with good recruiting. Especially the receivers could be much better than what we have going into the 15 season. Oline development will continue physically under Herbert and Pittman but experience is so important with the oline. Maybe some of the pups with a good season can play a lot as back ups this fall? Overall unless another motorcycle wreck or something similar happens I see the the program continue to build as recruiting and development of players get better. Basically though when the 15 season is over new names will have emerged that will make Ark be seen in a different light for 16.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

razorbackfaninar

I think that you will continue to see articles like this about Arkansas saying " after this year all of their stars will be lost to graduation and the NFL". The reason is that most writers that don't follow Arkansas closely aren't familiar with our players.  For example look at how much preseason talk there is about OJ Howard.  Last few seasons he is touted as  the best tight end in the SEC, although in 2014 he had 17 receptions for 260 yards while a relatively unknown AJ Derby racked up  22 receptions  for 303 yards.  So if you're a writer that covers the SEC and you don't know AJ Derby prior to the 14 season  you're looking at it on paper and saying "well the only tight end they have is HH" A writer covering the SEC is going to be more familiar with the players on teams like Alabama, LSU, Auburn.  They remember the big names from recruiting so when they sit down to write an article predicting the upcoming season for teams they remember six or seven big names from Alabama that will return, but don't always have a familiarity with the players we may have returning.  How many writers (or Razorback fans) expected the performance that we got from Spaight last year. How many people do you hear mention Bijhon Jackson this preseason, but we are expecting him to have a great year. How many people are mentioning Jeremy Sprinkle, but yet he looks poised to have a great year.  I think this is the same reason that Missouri gets so little respect.  People can't reconcile the fact that they don't have a lot of big names with the fact that they win games. Let's face it our recruiting is likely always going to be closer to Mizzou than to Bama, so I expect to see a lot of articles like this.

farmhawg

The line always makes the difference but he needs to have a breakout year to show the end result.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

threeNout

Quote from: lefty08 on July 24, 2015, 07:55:01 am
I think most of the expected step back is due to losing BA.

yes, losing a 5th year Sr at QB, when at this point, we have zero experience at QB behind him.

losing BA, JWill and likely AC will be no small thing.

what offsets it somewhat is Kody getting a 6th year, and getting some meaningful experience at backup QB this year if we can.

Theolesnort

July 24, 2015, 08:24:01 am #15 Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:00:58 pm by Theolesnort
Quote from: razorbackfaninar on July 24, 2015, 08:14:32 am
I think that you will continue to see articles like this about Arkansas saying " after this year all of their stars will be lost to graduation and the NFL". The reason is that most writers that don't follow Arkansas closely aren't familiar with our players.  For example look at how much preseason talk there is about OJ Howard.  Last few seasons he is touted as  the best tight end in the SEC, although in 2014 he had 17 receptions for 260 yards while a relatively unknown AJ Derby racked up  22 receptions  for 303 yards.  So if you're a writer that covers the SEC and you don't know AJ Derby prior to the 14 season  you're looking at it on paper and saying "well the only tight end they have is HH" A writer covering the SEC is going to be more familiar with the players on teams like Alabama, LSU, Auburn.  They remember the big names from recruiting so when they sit down to write an article predicting the upcoming season for teams they remember six or seven big names from Alabama that will return, but don't always have a familiarity with the players we may have returning.  How many writers (or Razorback fans) expected the performance that we got from Spaight last year. How many people do you hear mention Bijhon Jackson this preseason, but we are expecting him to have a great year. How many people are mentioning Jeremy Sprinkle, but yet he looks poised to have a great year.  I think this is the same reason that Missouri gets so little respect.  People can't reconcile the fact that they don't have a lot of big names with the fact that they win games. Let's face it our recruiting is likely always going to be closer to Mizzou than to Bama, so I expect to see a lot of articles like this.
Recruiting Missouri like? That is not what E K Franks said. He said recruiting is getting better and better and will continue to improve. Now to outsiders who prejudge these classes it might seem so but the staff thinks recruiting is moving forward and when they start winning it will even get better. Besides Missouri thinks a lot better about their classes than the gurus do too.

Hollywood_HOGan45

The offense will be very good this year but in 2016 it may be totally different across the board.
Hunter, Denver, Skipp, Collins will have a decision to make. I would expect AC3 to go pro. Running backs get beat on every single play. Yes, it shocked me when JWIII came back but that is a rareity for a RB that has a chance to go to the league.

The offensive line could be the big ? going into 2016 but with Coach B and Pitt we should be at least okay there. And of course there is that thing about replacing a 3 year starter.

Defense could be the very best/deepest defense we have had since we joined the SEC.

IBleedRazorbackRed

We only lose one starter on defense and that is Gaines, who I think we can all agree is replaceable. So it may be tough finding some offensive guys, but on paper that defense has potential to be a top defense in the sec. I think it all boils down to how consistent and smart our qb plays.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 24, 2015, 08:24:01 am
Recruiting Missouri like? That is not what E K Franks said. He said recruiting is getting better and better and will continue to improve. Now to outsides who prejudge these classes it might seem so but the staff thinks recruiting is moving forward and when they start winning it will even get better. Besides Missouri thinks a lot better about their classes than the gurus do too.

Well, he is the recruiting coordinator so I would expect him to say that.  I agree that recruiting is better than it has been at any time in my recent memory, but we have a lot of steps to take to catch up to Bama. We are more likely to have a recruiting profile closer to Mizzou than to Bama.

lefty08

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on July 24, 2015, 08:40:27 am
Well, he is the recruiting coordinator so I would expect him to say that.  I agree that recruiting is better than it has been at any time in my recent memory, but we have a lot of steps to take to catch up to Bama. We are more likely to have a recruiting profile closer to Mizzou than to Bama.

I disagree. We are already closer to 1 than the mid 40s
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on July 24, 2015, 08:14:32 am
Let's face it our recruiting is likely always going to be closer to Mizzou than to Bama, so I expect to see a lot of articles like this.

Closer to but better than, I think.  Unfortunately, until the East starts to shape up, Mizzou will always have an easier time of things. Not that we can talk until we actually beat them a few times.

EFBAB

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lefty08 on July 24, 2015, 07:55:01 am
I think most of the expected step back is due to losing BA. Which is ironic to me considering the criticism he takes. The lines should always be strong under this staff and I don't see any reason not to think that as of now

It's not as though Arkansas will have to start a freshman QB next season or anything.
[CENSORED]!

lefty08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 24, 2015, 08:50:45 am
It's not as though Arkansas will have to start a freshman QB next season or anything.

While we all know that we also know how likely national guys are to dig into the depth chart when there arent any big time recruits at that position on the roster.

Hope that clears up my statement

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lefty08 on July 24, 2015, 08:52:31 am
While we all know that we also know how likely national guys are to dig into the depth chart when there arent any big time recruits at that position on the roster.

Was not picking on you, just making an observation. Losing BA won't be like ripping the CPU out of a computer. Now the interesting thing will be what direction the coaches take in deciding who should be the next starter. Not a discussion I want to get into quite yet.
[CENSORED]!

Bubba's Bruisers

The 2016 season question marks will be QB and OL.  We're still going bowling that season regardless.  2017 will be a measurable jump forward.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lefty08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 24, 2015, 08:56:36 am
Was not picking on you, just making an observation. Losing BA won't be like ripping the CPU out of a computer. Now the interesting thing will be what direction the coaches take in deciding who should be the next starter. Not a discussion I want to get into quite yet.

I didn't take it that way biggus, just wanted to make it clear I don't think we are doomed at QB in 16. Now, who it will be I have no clue lol

SemperHawg

Kirkland would have to have a catastrophically bad year or get injured to not go pro.  I read an article before the draft this year that had him listed as a late 1st early 2nd if true sophs were draft eligible.

HappyHogFan

You homers crack me up, next year WILL be a rebuilding year, that's just what happens when you have a coach going into year 4 of a process. Now, can we win 7 or 8 games in a rebuilding season the way an Alabama or Florida or LSU does rather than 4 or 5 the way we've been used to? I think yes, but EVERY program has those seasons where they have to retool, ours is next year, so unless Coach wants to go 4 seasons without winning big, the author is correct, THIS is the season we must do it.

GuvHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 24, 2015, 07:05:31 am

You make some good points but I disagree with the word "plenty". I do agree there are some that would like to see CBB on the hot seat but they are a very insignificant few IMHO.

As for 2016, it's too early to say how they will do. I'm more concerned about how they will do this season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jek Tono Porkins

I read that article yesterday and had many of the same thoughts y'all are having.
In 2016, our offensive line is going to be in good shape, we have some big-time recruits waiting to get on the field. The QB will be either AA (Junior), Peavey (Junior) or Storey (sophomore), all of which I think would be ready to take the reins.
Running back, I don't think Collins is going to pro after this year. If he does, we've got Juan Day and Rawleigh Williams III, for starters.
The tight ends, holy cow. Jeremy Sprinkle (assuming he comes back), Jack Kraus, Will Gragg, Austin Cantrell, CJ O'Grady. The TE group has the best depth out of all the positions on the roster.
Wide receiver, also got some good names waiting. Jojo has yet to see the field, Kendrick Edwards will get playing time if he can get his crap together, Morgan will be a senior, Cornelius will be a junior. Not worried.

It's real easy to say, "OMG look they lose seniors!!!!!" but that doesn't tell the whole story. In college football, you're always going to lose seniors. The trick is having depth, that is to say guys that can step in and fill that role.

Also, I would posit that the whole point of having a deep, elite OL is so that you can get away with not having exceptional talent at the other positions. When you've got a bad OL, it doesn't matter how good your QB: he's going to be running for his life all the time. It doesn't matter how good your RB is if he's getting blown up in the backfield. It doesn't matter how good your receivers are because the QB won't have time to find them. Elite OL play covers a multitude of sins.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

HappyHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 24, 2015, 09:20:20 am
You make some good points but I disagree with the word "plenty". I do agree there are some that would like to see CBB on the hot seat but they are a very insignificant few.

As for 2016, it's too early to say how they will do. I'm more concerned about how they will do this season.

Anyone who has CBB on a hotseat at this point is probably someone who either

A) doesn't understand just what a dire position our program was in when he took over

or

B) Just doesn't like the man anyway.

BUT, if the man wins 2 SEC games this year, he may be in a bit of hot water. He needs a big season. we don't have to win the SEC or anything to keep his critics from getting their way, but I'd bet he needs to at least go .500 in league play to stay off the hot seat. Just the way it goes in big time football anymore.

wholehog92

What's funny is that everybody says we are going to have trouble replacing 3 guys off of our defense this year, 2 of which no one was talking about before last season.

We'll have some guys step up this season and make a name out of nowhere we'll be super excited about returning and discussing if they go pro after this season.

I'm not worried at all about our Oline depth.  We have recruited better here than any other area on the field.  For me, the QB replacement is key.  We have invested minimally in the younger QBs on campus to date.  I'm hearing Enos is being far more detailed in his teaching to the QBs and even WRs.  That gives me a bit of hope, but it's something I'll have to see for myself before I put any stock in it.

We have set up our roster to make a run this year.  The writer has a point that we need to capitalize on it.  We have stuck with BA through some rough patches and not put in younger guys.  It's time for him to pay off by making some plays and making a positive difference when the team is in need.  We have two very good returning RBs.  We have a very experienced OL built for our style of ball.  The defense is in its' 2nd year with the system and were looking very good at the end of last year.  The DL is deep, CBs are deep.  We need to avoid injury at LB and safety.  By most accounts our recruiting has been bringing in strong talent.  I keep hearing better than what BP left.  We went 6-2 with that situation with apparently worse recruiting then.  I'm hearing predictions of a similar run this year.  The writer is absolutely right.  We need to make a big run this year.

It remains to be seen how depleted we will be following this year though.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 24, 2015, 09:29:19 am
What's funny is that everybody says we are going to have trouble replacing 3 guys off of our defense this year, 2 of which no one was talking about before last season.

We'll have some guys step up this season and make a name out of nowhere we'll be super excited about returning and discussing if they go pro after this season.

I'm not worried at all about our Oline depth.  We have recruited better here than any other area on the field.  For me, the QB replacement is key.  We have invested minimally in the younger QBs on campus to date.  I'm hearing Enos is being far more detailed in his teaching to the QBs and even WRs.  That gives me a bit of hope, but it's something I'll have to see for myself before I put any stock in it.

We have set up our roster to make a run this year.  The writer has a point that we need to capitalize on it.  We have stuck with BA through some rough patches and not put in younger guys.  It's time for him to pay off by making some plays and making a positive difference when the team is in need.  We have two very good returning RBs.  We have a very experienced OL built for our style of ball.  The defense is in its' 2nd year with the system and were looking very good at the end of last year.  The DL is deep, CBs are deep.  We need to avoid injury at LB and safety.  By most accounts our recruiting has been bringing in strong talent.  I keep hearing better than what BP left.  We went 6-2 with that situation with apparently worse recruiting then.  I'm hearing predictions of a similar run this year.  The writer is absolutely right.  We need to make a big run this year.

It remains to be seen how depleted we will be following this year though.

In another thread, several posters were saying they hope BA gets to pad his stats in a few blowouts this year, and I got blasted for saying I don't care what BA's stats are, I hope we blow a few teams out and he hits the bench so we can get some game time for next year's potential QB. Arkansas as a program doesn't have good results when we start a completely inexperienced QB to begin a season.

Hoggish1

July 24, 2015, 09:41:12 am #34 Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:55:11 am by Hoggish1
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 24, 2015, 06:53:13 am
SB Nation writer David Wunderlich details why he feels that Arkansas may need to win big this year.

"It's likely that every one of those names I just mentioned will be gone next year, most of them to the NFL. It's a bit early to be doing 2016 season previews, but it's hard to imagine that team not taking a step or two back from where the 2015 team will be. Absent a big 2015, the end of 2016 will mean four years without a whole lot to show for it. Everyone knows that Bielema walked into a major rebuild, but in this day and age, that's a long time to not have a big season to point to. It's especially so when you're making $4 million a year."

Scan the article and post your opinions of what he had to say. Is this year the year that Bielema really needs to win big? Will we fall off in 2016?

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2015/7/20/9002451/sec-2015-arkansas-razorbacks-football-season-preview?_ga=1.201746513.1788813579.1431640829

The article writer doesn't understand that it isn't going to be build to a 3rd our 4th year and in one of those years have a break out year.

It is instead building continuously to be a threat to win the West every year.  It's called re-loading.

And I agree with those who have mentioned the O-lines' depth and quality.  It is the singular way we compete in this league when so many are recruiting those "5* skill players."

This is not a Nutts program that the writer thinks we still have...

hoghiker

I think if we don't win this year our momentum, for a lack of a better word, slows down a bit. You need to win sometime. The point that this year is critical for Arkansas, IMO, is rational. Maybe somewhat overstated but all you have to do is read MMQB threads to understand there will be some pretty serious disappointment if we don't.  I'm a huge fan of what's going on in Fayetteville right now, and CBB, but the future will look way better if we turn a few corners this year. More sunshine and less rain. Never hurts.

wholehog92

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 24, 2015, 09:33:15 am
In another thread, several posters were saying they hope BA gets to pad his stats in a few blowouts this year, and I got blasted for saying I don't care what BA's stats are, I hope we blow a few teams out and he hits the bench so we can get some game time for next year's potential QB. Arkansas as a program doesn't have good results when we start a completely inexperienced QB to begin a season.

BA's measure of success this year for me personally will be can he reverse bad momentum.  He's a 5th year senior and should have developed that kind of mental toughness and leadership by now.  Last year he played well when the rest of the team played well and played poorly when the rest of the team played poorly.  We need him to have the backbone to wake some people up and co-locate their fecal matter in that situation.  We really needed it last year, but the past is the past.

QB has been my longest running head scratcher with the staff.  Nobody really seemed to take responsibility for any decision long term from the staff, so I'll keep it generic to staff.  While I openly understand there is a reason I'm not a D1 coach, I have thought pretty much every QB management decision has turned out less than desirable since day 1.  As much as I like this staff, it is getting frustrating.  I'm really hoping Enos improves us in that area.  He has a great history for doing exactly that.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 24, 2015, 10:00:18 am
BA's measure of success this year for me personally will be can he reverse bad momentum.  He's a 5th year senior and should have developed that kind of mental toughness and leadership by now.  Last year he played well when the rest of the team played well and played poorly when the rest of the team played poorly.  We need him to have the backbone to wake some people up and co-locate their fecal matter in that situation.  We really needed it last year, but the past is the past.

QB has been my longest running head scratcher with the staff.  Nobody really seemed to take responsibility for any decision long term from the staff, so I'll keep it generic to staff.  While I openly understand there is a reason I'm not a D1 coach, I have thought pretty much every QB management decision has turned out less than desirable since day 1.  As much as I like this staff, it is getting frustrating.  I'm really hoping Enos improves us in that area.  He has a great history for doing exactly that.

We're on the same page here for sure. BA needs to prove he's a leader. Can he make a big play happen when we need a momentum swing? Can he get in a receiver's face when said receiver dropped an easy 10 yard reception, then go right back to that guy?

Personally, I don't think he can do those things and wonder why we haven't given the next guy a chance. But, as you say, that is the past. I want to see what Enos has done for him and what he can do for our young guys behind him.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

I think Collins' decision to go pro or not will be heavily impacted by the movement of JWill's draft stock this season. If he sees JWill shoot up the boards, then Collins will definitely be more tempted to stay another year.
ched come back pls

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on July 24, 2015, 08:27:22 am
We only lose one starter on defense and that is Gaines, who I think we can all agree is replaceable. So it may be tough finding some offensive guys, but on paper that defense has potential to be a top defense in the sec. I think it all boils down to how consistent and smart our qb plays.

While I hope you're correct, I think filling the shoes of our best players won't be as "plug and play" as some think.  Spaight was getting accolades for his hitting in practice long before he even played substantial minutes, and he brought an attitude to the field that was infectious.  Flowers had experience, and that goes a long way.  Philon, etc.   

It would seem that we should pick up where we left off, and our depth will be improved, but some guys will have to step up and take leadership roles and fill some pretty big shoes for it to click.  That's my take. 

Oh...and I don't think the play of BA is a big issue.  He does what they ask him to do...make good decisions and manage the game.  He plays like Bama QB's, and if our O-line is improved and we're even a slightly better threat at running, and we add a good short passing game, I think we'll have WR's and TE's open consistently, which will mean less balls thrown into the stands. 

The dynamic BA can bring is one we haven't really seen much.  He can run.  Now...has he gained some strength to be able to take a hit once in awhile...I don't know, but he has better wheels than most people realize.  He just wasn't healthy enough to take off and risk it.  Maybe this year he does that a few more times in critical situations, and that ends up being the X factor for us.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson on July 24, 2015, 10:08:32 am
I think Collins' decision to go pro or not will be heavily impacted by the movement of JWill's draft stock this season. If he sees JWill shoot up the boards, then Collins will definitely be more tempted to stay another year.

I'd say that unless one of them sustains a significant injury and needs to come back to prove something, they're 99% likely to go.  Both of them.  The likelihood of an improved offense in 2017 would have a lot of unknowns, and physically...they're both at a point that wear and tear is the biggest enemy of a RB.

Not that I wouldn't love for AC to come back, but I'd be stunned if he did. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

wholehog92

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on July 24, 2015, 10:41:54 am
I'd say that unless one of them sustains a significant injury and needs to come back to prove something, they're 99% likely to go.  Both of them.  The likelihood of an improved offense in 2017 would have a lot of unknowns, and physically...they're both at a point that wear and tear is the biggest enemy of a RB.

Not that I wouldn't love for AC to come back, but I'd be stunned if he did. 

Agreed.

Hawgzinbowlz

July 24, 2015, 10:50:10 am #42 Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:00:38 pm by Hawgzinbowlz
The writer makes some valid points about the personnel leaving after this year.
CDE should have a QB ready to at least 'manage' games without losing games after BA leaves. Being a former QB at Michigan State he fully understands the process of losing players through graduation and early entry into the NFL. This coming season I expect him to install a backup QB when the game situation allows, and this is the main reason I don't see Brandon throwing for 3000 yards, combined with our style of play.
In '16 our defense should be even better than this coming year and with KW coming back and our improved recruiting our O should be respectable. I also believe AC is going pro, and if that's what he feels he should do for himself and his family, good for AC. DK and DS leaving early concern me as much as the exit of any other skill position players. Our OL will be revamped and CSP should have this years backups ready to put a good OL on the field in '16.
I think we need 8+ wins this year to continue selling the programs rise to high level recruits...I look for 8+ wins this year and we may shock the world and we'll certainly spoil some teams dreams of winning the SECW.

" Let's get this party started".

" GO HOGS "

Pig in the Pokey

umm, there are 3 four-stars waiting in the wings, and a high-3star that will be a four with tthe season he's about to have. Don't think we've EVER had that much qb potential on our bench before.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

urkillnmesmalls

We have more "big time" recruits on the team than Manziel was right?  UT didn't even want him!  Look how many heralded QB's of the year in HS have failed to even become starters in just the past several years.  I can't recall names, but there have been quite a few, so it goes both ways.  I think it's just a matter of it "clicking" with one of them more than anything else.   The HUGE wildcard is that other than Austin's successful stint vs Ole Miss, we don't know how any of them will react to game pressure.  If the staff makes the mistake of not getting them into games whenever possible this season, then THAT is where Hog fans should take issue. 

It was RIDICULOUS that they didn't insert Austin last year in that Mizzou game, and that's totally on CBB for not having confidence in QB development.  Maybe Enos will remedy that...don't know, but there should be no excuse for not getting some guys experience whether we're blowing someone out, or getting blown out. 

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on July 24, 2015, 10:37:56 am
While I hope you're correct, I think filling the shoes of our best players won't be as "plug and play" as some think.  Spaight was getting accolades for his hitting in practice long before he even played substantial minutes, and he brought an attitude to the field that was infectious.  Flowers had experience, and that goes a long way.  Philon, etc.   

It would seem that we should pick up where we left off, and our depth will be improved, but some guys will have to step up and take leadership roles and fill some pretty big shoes for it to click.  That's my take. 

Oh...and I don't think the play of BA is a big issue.  He does what they ask him to do...make good decisions and manage the game.  He plays like Bama QB's, and if our O-line is improved and we're even a slightly better threat at running, and we add a good short passing game, I think we'll have WR's and TE's open consistently, which will mean less balls thrown into the stands. 

The dynamic BA can bring is one we haven't really seen much.  He can run.  Now...has he gained some strength to be able to take a hit once in awhile...I don't know, but he has better wheels than most people realize.  He just wasn't healthy enough to take off and risk it.  Maybe this year he does that a few more times in critical situations, and that ends up being the X factor for us.   

I'm talking about 2016, not 2015. Gaines will be the only defensive startet we replace going into 2016 unless somebody leaves early.

Oklahawg

For 2016, There are players on campus who are in the pipeline. Legit options, although not necessarily the options we might prefer. That is a step above and beyond what UA fans are used to, where for decades depth was an illusion created by names in the program and standing on the sideline in uniform.

REAL options. Not optimum, but real. And, pieces in place already that are used to contributing. An elite defense will keep the 2016 team in the mix.

I'd prefer to chat about 2015, of course.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on July 24, 2015, 11:15:51 am
I'm talking about 2016, not 2015. Gaines will be the only defensive startet we replace going into 2016 unless somebody leaves early.

Ahhh...gotcha.  The writer is saying we better make hay next year, and a drop off is looming in 2016-17.  You're suggesting that we'll have everyone from next season back on defense minus Gaines, and we should be in good shape. 

Fair enough....and hard to argue, ASSUMING that we're good this season.  I saw a 2012 defense that everyone hoped would improve with experience and be decent in 2013, and that didn't happen.  Probably a poor comparison, but I do think we need to see how we are this year before we predict any carryover success. 

hawginbigd1

2016 is 100% dependent on QB production/ability IMO. We will be very talented and experienced everywhere else with the slight possible exception of OL, I think that will be next man up more so than QB.

The big reason I don't think it will be a huge step back is that besides the addition of TCU in the non-con, the rest of the schedule is much more favorable than 2015 in that my projected toughest teams are all at home, save Aubie.

bphi11ips

If we go 8-5 and 7-6 the next two years, many of you will be upset.  It could happen, not because of a throwback system, but because of the talent and depth Bielema faces on a weekly basis during the conference season. 

I think we'll do better than 8-5 and 7-6 because I wear Pantone 202 (or whatever it is) colored glasses, but if don't, I'll still be happy with Bielema as long as his teams play with passion and pride and as long he and his players continue to represent the UofA the way they are now. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.