Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Linebacker Depth

Started by WaltonCollege, July 19, 2015, 02:17:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

secneahog

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 20, 2015, 03:24:06 pm
Possibly not recruit in the past 3 years, but this coaching staff has moved some guys from the OL to the DL. Similarly, the old staff brought in a WR who is now a S/CB, a move that this new staff agreed with.

They have moved a couple Petrino recuits around like that. Those guys haven't sniffed the depth at all so far. Big big difference. In 3 years our staff hasn't swapped around 1 guy they've recruited to the other side of the ball.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

bennyl08

Quote from: secneahog on July 20, 2015, 04:31:14 pm
They have moved a couple Petrino recuits around like that. Those guys haven't sniffed the depth at all so far. Big big difference. In 3 years our staff hasn't swapped around 1 guy they've recruited to the other side of the ball.

Bielema has said, and perhaps somebody else could help me out exactly when/where, that Duwop would be best suited at safety. With that, I agree; however, the kid really wants to stay on offense so receiver is where he is.

Also, Loewen was, also a CPP walk-on, a guy CBB originally had playing TE but after a year moved to DE. CBB gave him a scholarship his first year where he had him playing TE. So, here is a guy that CBB gave a scholarship to who, after a year of being with CBB and having a scholarship, was then moved to the other side of the ball. While not exactly fitting your criteria, it is pretty close.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

secneahog

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 20, 2015, 04:46:44 pm
Bielema has said, and perhaps somebody else could help me out exactly when/where, that Duwop would be best suited at safety. With that, I agree; however, the kid really wants to stay on offense so receiver is where he is.

Also, Loewen was, also a CPP walk-on, a guy CBB originally had playing TE but after a year moved to DE. CBB gave him a scholarship his first year where he had him playing TE. So, here is a guy that CBB gave a scholarship to who, after a year of being with CBB and having a scholarship, was then moved to the other side of the ball. While not exactly fitting your criteria, it is pretty close.

Again. This is another petrino recruit you're referring to. The players CBB inherited is way different then the guys he's personally went to their house and set down with him.

They know what they want to do with those recruits.

Duwop never played safety.

3 years CBB hasn't done that kind of shifting with his recruits. Don't think it will happen again since he sais cantrell is playing te.

I'm pretty sure also it wasn't duwop decision to stay on offense and the staff complied.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: secneahog on July 20, 2015, 07:51:42 pm
Again. This is another petrino recruit you're referring to. The players CBB inherited is way different then the guys he's personally went to their house and set down with him.

They know what they want to do with those recruits.

Duwop never played safety.

3 years CBB hasn't done that kind of shifting with his recruits. Don't think it will happen again since he sais cantrell is playing te.

I'm pretty sure also it wasn't duwop decision to stay on offense and the staff complied.

Bielema will move guys around, but it won't be their first year on campus. If he recruited you for offense, you're gonna play offense at first.

secneahog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on July 20, 2015, 09:09:55 pm
Bielema will move guys around, but it won't be their first year on campus. If he recruited you for offense, you're gonna play offense at first.

Yep.  He hasn't recruited a kid on offense then sent him to defense. He hasn't done it. Not saying he won't ever...saying he hasn't in three years because he recruits very well.

ldfergu

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 20, 2015, 09:39:17 am
I know everyone naturally assumes that he is going to play on the offensive side of the ball, but I think that sometimes we forget that he also played DE. Size wise and speed wise, he is a ready made SEC sized LB and it wouldn't shock me at all if they tried him at that position. We have plenty of talented TE's already.

How many other 6'5" 250 lb LBs are in the league?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 20, 2015, 10:32:39 pm
How many other 6'5" 250 lb LBs are in the league?

Not many that run a 4.5-40. But again, I was just thinking out loud, speculating. So far the staff hasn't made any mention of trying this.
Go Hogs Go!

ldfergu

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 21, 2015, 05:22:52 am
Not many that run a 4.5-40. But again, I was just thinking out loud, speculating. So far the staff hasn't made any mention of trying this.

Not to argue but I think the 40 time, especially at LB, is a very overrated statistic.  Just a couple weeks ago I read where Josh Williams was having coverage issues but remember his 40 time being really good, like 4.4's or better.

Personally, I think to be a stud backer your best attribute has to be instincts. Regardless, seeing Cantrell get a shot there would be interesting. I share your sentiment that he will prob try other positions due to TE depth and the fact that he's an absolute beast

Hogsolo

With that number of bodies, players will turn up.   Numbers at LB we haven't seen in a LONG time.

bphi11ips

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 21, 2015, 06:25:13 am
Not to argue but I think the 40 time, especially at LB, is a very overrated statistic. 

Personally, I think to be a stud backer your best attribute has to be instincts.

You may have been a LB.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

For Arkansas, Linebacker and Depth used in the same sentence equals Oxymoron.

For whatever reasons, finding starters with some quality backups has been an Achilles Heel for the Hogs since joining the SEC.

Of course, being thin on the DL and converting good LBs into serviceable DLs hasn't helped in the past.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 25, 2015, 05:05:34 am
For Arkansas, Linebacker and Depth used in the same sentence equals Oxymoron.

For whatever reasons, finding starters with some quality backups has been an Achilles Heel for the Hogs since joining the SEC.

Of course, being thin on the DL and converting good LBs into serviceable DLs hasn't helped in the past.

You are right, but we are building depth. All of these kids are young and inexperienced except Ellis, but we are about to build really good depth for the future at LB.

SLB   21   Williams, Josh Jr/0        57   Nicholas-Thomas, Smith So/0      Graham, Derrick FR/0
MLB   44   Hackett, Khalia  SO/1   41   Harris, Josh R/Fr/0                     Jackson, Kendrick FR/0
WLB   51   Ellis, Brooks JR/2         35   Eugene, Dwayne SO/1                Graham, Derrick FR/0
Go Hogs Go!

CokeHog

Good discussion.

Coach B has hinted that Ellis will be the next Spaight-- no pre-season hype but post-season rewards.

Just this week Spaight himself said he thinks Khalia Hackett is poised for a break-out year.

I really hope both of those come true!
Go Hogs!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: secneahog on July 20, 2015, 04:31:14 pm

Petrine moved offensive recruits to defense in large part due to his inability to recruit above average players on that side of the ball. Truth, not fact.
This is my non-signature signature.

Lake City Hog

Krieg, that was the most truly uninformed statement I've ever read one on Hogville!!

Every single coach that we have had since Frank retired (with the possible exception of Crowe) has made some pretty significant contributions to the program. Some left because they had done about all that they could do and some left due to some pretty stupid personal decisions, but each had some pretty good accomplishments. And yes, that includes Nutt. When he came we were at a point being so bad that beating SMU was a priority!

PLEASE QUIT WITH THE FORMER COACH HATRED!!!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

July 25, 2015, 10:46:42 am #65 Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:14:42 am by Großer Kriegschwein
Quote from: Lake City Hog on July 25, 2015, 10:41:33 am
Krieg, that was the most truly uninformed statement I've ever read one on Hogville!!

Every single coach that we have had since Frank retired (with the possible exception of Crowe) has made some pretty significant contributions to the program. Some left because they had done about all that they could do and some left due to some pretty stupid personal decisions, but each had some pretty good accomplishments. And yes, that includes Nutt. When he came we were at a point being so bad that beating SMU was a priority!

PLEASE QUIT WITH THE FORMER COACH HATRED!!!!!

Anybody that knows me knows that I don't hate Petrino. I strongly dislike him after the wreck and fallout. I really liked it when he hired Haynes and I sometimes wonder what would have been if the wreck didn't occur and those 2 would have been able to accomplish together. During our '10 and '11 seasons, our best DL player was Bequette. He came in a TE.

Besides, I did put truth and not fact in there at the end. Petrino was a brilliant offensive mind, he contributed plenty to the football program, but in the end set us back quite a bit. I don't bash former coaches and wasn't bashing him then either. I don't know what side of the bed you woke up on this morning, but suggest you go back there and try it again.

I have never, in my whole time on Hogville, even came close to crossing the line IRT posting garbage and inciting anarchy. I call it like I see it, which, for the most part is and will always remain moderate. Never been warned by moderators, even through the bike scandal.

So lighten up Francis.

WaltonCollege

How much does Khalia Hackett weigh now? 6'2 240lb? If he is anything past 230lbs we may be in business. That gives us 3 SEC backers that fit the mold in Ellis, Hackett, and Williams. If we get any production out of Kendrick Jackson or Derrick Graham we could be alright. Plus we play a 4-2-5 the majority of snaps, especially against up tempo.

Lake City Hog

Let's see---R Gaines, T Flowers, D Philon, B Jones, D Jones, T Mitchell, M Loewen, D Hodge, D Wise, J Winston, T Johnson, B Lewis and probably more that I have forgotten. I think that he did bring in a few "good" defensive players!

That list does not include the kids that will play this year and have played over the past 3 years on offense.

I really like what BB is doing, but people need to be a bit more realistic with their posts.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Lake City Hog on July 25, 2015, 11:11:02 am
Let's see---R Gaines, T Flowers, D Philon, B Jones, D Jones, T Mitchell, M Loewen, D Hodge, D Wise, J Winston, T Johnson, B Lewis and probably more that I have forgotten. I think that he did bring in a few "good" defensive players!

That list does not include the kids that will play this year and have played over the past 3 years on offense.

I really like what BB is doing, but people need to be a bit more realistic with their posts.

That post was meant to begin a discussion not an argument homes. That's why I put Truth, not fact at the end.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

According to Ramsey, he is still on campus taking classes to get back on this team. If he was kicked off for good then he wouldn't still be in Fayetteville and working at Chick-fil-a.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on July 25, 2015, 10:45:13 pm
According to Ramsey, he is still on campus taking classes to get back on this team. If he was kicked off for good then he wouldn't still be in Fayetteville and working at Chick-fil-a.

I am really rooting for the guy, I liked him a lot and hope he gets another chance.

Wooo Pig!!  :razorback:

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on July 25, 2015, 10:45:13 pm

He did make comment yesterday saying, I lost it all.  Didn't say football but kind of what I think it was about.  With the hype video coming out and getting a lot of attention along with everything getting fired up, I believe it was

codeHog

Ball control offense lets your linebackers get more rest than others

Lake City Hog

Discipline or accountability has become a stone pillar at Arkansas and I really believe that guys like Ramsey are benefiting form that concept! I hope that he makes it back on the team even if he never becomes a star player. This is a life lesson, one that could make a huge impact on this young man's life.

Some guys will not benefit, those that cannot get over the "it's all about me" attitude and those guys will leave the program. They will move on to a place that accepts that behavior or simply drop out of sight.

Uncommon Men! Come in Uncommon, become Uncommon or move on. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Lake City Hog on July 26, 2015, 10:17:57 am
Discipline or accountability has become a stone pillar at Arkansas and I really believe that guys like Ramsey are benefiting form that concept! I hope that he makes it back on the team even if he never becomes a star player. This is a life lesson, one that could make a huge impact on this young man's life.

Some guys will not benefit, those that cannot get over the "it's all about me" attitude and those guys will leave the program. They will move on to a place that accepts that behavior or simply drop out of sight.

Uncommon Men! Come in Uncommon, become Uncommon or move on.

Agreed. I'm not saying that BB is the second coming, but he has a combination of qualities very rare for football coaches, character and personality, and he is molding this football team to reflect that.