Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 12, 2024, 07:45:59 pm

Cowherd quits ESPN

Started by bigpigpimpin, July 16, 2015, 06:33:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scooby21322

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 20, 2015, 08:47:31 am
All I see in that article is a lot of spin control on ESPN's part.  Let's take a closer look at this:
Here, in a nutshell, is ESPN's problem as ESPN is slowly suffering the fate of MTV.  Over the years, screaming head talk shows have eroded ESPN's coverage of sports just as MTV moved away from music videos.

A lot of people grew up with MTV's music videos and ESPN's broadcasting of a wide array of sports. As both networks move further away from the original models that made them what they were, the quality of both networks is in sharp decline. 

There is a generation of people who grew up with an ESPN that was constantly expanding their sports programming - not screaming head sports talk programming.  The formula that worked was one that had personalities on SportsCenter and broadcasting of sports. 

ESPN needs to get rid of all talk shows and return to coverage of sports events.

+1

Their decline also has come from their bias toward certain teams (as a baseball fan, I moved to MLB network for this reason).  One additional factor is their politics (I'd say this if they were conservative too).  When I turn on a sports channel, I want sports.  If I wanted politics I'd turn on Fox News or MSNBC.  I'm interested in sports when I watch ESPN.  Not social issues.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: scooby21322 on July 20, 2015, 09:10:47 am
+1

Their decline also has come from their bias toward certain teams (as a baseball fan, I moved to MLB network for this reason).  One additional factor is their politics (I'd say this if they were conservative too).  When I turn on a sports channel, I want sports.  If I wanted politics I'd turn on Fox News or MSNBC.  I'm interested in sports when I watch ESPN.  Not social issues.

Decline in what way? Are they not making a TON of money doing what they do. The only question is "is it viable like it is long term."
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

scooby21322

There is a reason why other sports networks are gaining traction.  The viewers are wanting other options.  I barely watch ESPN now other than when the game I want is on.  The other stations offer better coverage. 

Others have referenced a decline in revenue and viewership.  The two factors I listed I think are part of that (along with the other reasons already mentioned). 

Porked Tongue

All I see in that article is a lot of spin control on ESPN's part. 
I reference only the theories of CC's departure versus the facts in that article as to his departure.

Go on whatever rant you wish on the Mothership.  I'm not the defender of all things ESPN.  They admittedly wanted him and admit they got out bid.  That part is honest.

Hogarusa

I'm not sure where some of you are getting your information.  There isn't any threat to ESPN. The network is not in decline. As long as there are sports, ESPN will be the #1 sports network by a large margin. they were outbid for Colin Cowherd.   I believe I read that Cowherd is going to get $6 million + annually at his new spot.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogarusa on July 20, 2015, 04:05:33 pm
I'm not sure where some of you are getting your information.  There isn't any threat to ESPN. The network is not in decline. As long as there are sports, ESPN will be the #1 sports network by a large margin. they were outbid for Colin Cowherd.   I believe I read that Cowherd is going to get $6 million + annually at his new spot.

While they may not see FOx as a competitor, Fox is bidding high on everything right now.  For instances, ESPN lost the U.S. Open and the open golf tournaments ( yes this year and I even think next year opens were on Espn) and many other things. 

Fox had its hand in the PaC12 and big 12 in college football while ESPN has theirs in the SEC.  If the pissing match continues on in a bidding war, the winners will be cable
Providers and sports teams.  Fox still lacks about 5 channels on my TV guide to catch up too ESPN

hog.goblin

But do very many people watch CC on TV?  I've only listened to him on the radio.  I never thought it was good tv.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Swine-as-wine

I guess Cowturd can sit with Erin Andrews and count their money together. Who the
hell watches Fox sports unless a game is on there? It's ALWAYS been about the money
with CC anyways.

lechon

All I see in that article is a lot of spin control on ESPN's part.  Let's take a closer look at this:
Here, in a nutshell, is ESPN's problem as ESPN is slowly suffering the fate of MTV.  Over the years, screaming head talk shows have eroded ESPN's coverage of sports just as MTV moved away from music videos.

A lot of people grew up with MTV's music videos and ESPN's broadcasting of a wide array of sports. As both networks move further away from the original models that made them what they were, the quality of both networks is in sharp decline. 

There is a generation of people who grew up with an ESPN that was constantly expanding their sports programming - not screaming head sports talk programming.  The formula that worked was one that had personalities on SportsCenter and broadcasting of sports. 

ESPN needs to get rid of all talk shows and return to coverage of sports events. 

Buy this man an ice cold beer and a sweet young thang........
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Cinco de Hogo

Are the buzzards circling?

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

lol who are these screaming heads?

Get rid of all talk shows and got totally sports?  You are a dim witted one.  What sport would you suggest they broadcast tomorrow WED 7-22 at 7:00 am eastern.

Sheesh.
Let's make some waves.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 21, 2015, 07:50:12 pm
lol who are these screaming heads?

Get rid of all talk shows and got totally sports?  You are a dim witted one.  What sport would you suggest they broadcast tomorrow WED 7-22 at 7:00 am eastern.

Sheesh.

There's got to be some kind of synchronized, Hungarian cabinet making championship to shoehorn into that time slot! ;D
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Porked Tongue

I think the US Corn Hole Championships is an untapped gold mine.

Transvestite bowling might be interesting.

Plus they are due for a Reality TV show.

Cinco de Hogo

Some people really do need nose rings!

Boardon Hamsay

We should petition ESPN to do a 30for30 on the GSD....Mike Rowe to narrate.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on July 21, 2015, 08:13:46 pm
We should petition ESPN to do a 30for30 on the GSD....Mike Rowe to narrate.

Robert Shields as special guest.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 21, 2015, 08:16:17 pm
Robert Shields as special guest.

Let's not get too carried away now. ;D

Inhogswetrust

And if MTV returned to music videos then it would go bankrupt because nobody listens to or watches music videos. Maybe ESPN needed to get away from wha tit was doing all the time simply showing games. There is only so many games people care about to fill air time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogarusa

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 22, 2015, 06:34:33 am
And if MTV returned to music videos then it would go bankrupt because nobody listens to or watches music videos. Maybe ESPN needed to get away from wha tit was doing all the time simply showing games. There is only so many games people care about to fill air time.

Evidence doesnt support your statement on music videos. People love music, they just refuse to buy it.  Vevo has a list of their top 100 watched videos, #100 has over 303 million times and the #1 video has over 1 billion views

nationwish

Quote from: Hogarusa on July 22, 2015, 08:06:43 am
Evidence doesnt support your statement on music videos. People love music, they just refuse to buy it.  Vevo has a list of their top 100 watched videos, #100 has over 303 million times and the #1 video has over 1 billion views

Money is clearly being made by music videos or you wouldn't be able to find pretty much every new song on YouTube. But, people tend to watch videos on demand now, so they likely wouldn't work as well on MTV today.

Porked Tongue

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=13300143

That link will let you hear CC talk about his departure.

He says several times, and I agree, that him being on the air and talking about it shows an amicable split.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogarusa on July 22, 2015, 08:06:43 am

I should have worded it differently. It isn't music videos that doesn't make mtv viable or not. It is the fact that now with instantly downloadable music and videos then no one has to sit and wait for a video to play anymore. People download videos and music all the time. They will not sit and watch a bunch of them on a tv in hopes one they like will show up. Those numbers you quote are over a large population with many views from the same people over and over. MTV's ratings are abysmal now. No wonder they are losing their Programing director. The rating for their 2015 awards only drew about 1.5 million. That's horrible. Mobile music downloads are NOW where it's at.

rzrbaxfan

The only thing on sports channels worth watching outside of live games (and maybe some pre-game shows) is a well told sports documentary.  All of the other crap (including sportscenter) could come and go and I'd never notice.

Kevin

I do miss the days of sports center reruns, live sportcenter, then a night full of games.

Keep college football live,
Nfl live
Nba show
Mlb show

Show games.

Scrap the rest

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

azhog10

I grew up loving SC. That said, if ANY other sports channel could come out and put together anything remotely good I would watch it over sportcenter. However, FoxSports1 is awful, and I can't think of another one even close to those two, and FoxSports1 isn't even close to SportsCenter.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 24, 2015, 10:47:38 pm
ESPN canned Cowherd a week early, after his comments about Dominicans in MLB.

SMH.

I read the quote and read his explanation.  Overblown and hypersensitive.....as usual.

Political Correctness has played a large role in wrecking this country.  I'm just curious as to the exact date we'll be able to point to as  the day 'You can put a fork in it''.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on July 21, 2015, 07:57:11 pm
There's got to be some kind of synchronized, Hungarian cabinet making championship to shoehorn into that time slot! ;D
The correct answer is drag races...

Hogarusa

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 25, 2015, 04:52:33 am
SMH.

I read the quote and read his explanation.  Overblown and hypersensitive.....as usual.

Political Correctness has played a large role in wrecking this country.  I'm just curious as to the exact date we'll be able to point to as  the day 'You can put a fork in it''.

Its also possible ESPN saw an out and jumped on it.  Cowherd has certainly said dumber things.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 25, 2015, 10:40:56 am
The correct answer is drag races...

Does Jenner qualify for that now?

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 19, 2015, 12:01:14 am
I don't understand why anyone wants to listen to radio blowhards.  It's totally mind numbing to me, so I never listened to Cowherd and I therefore didn't realize that he shared "political opinions".

But do take note that when you're from Arkansas nearly every living person is going to seem "liberal" to you.

When you're on the fringe, moderates appear radical to you.

No moderates appear as squishy know-nothings who are afraid to make up their mind about anything while all the time feeling superior over their ability to "see both sides". And are so afraid of being non-PC. Which as someone else posted is ruining the country and has reached the point where the proverbial fork could be put in it - "it's done".

That being said I liked Cowherd more than the rest of the ESPN radio line up. I didn't always like his takes but he was honest in where he stood. ESPN is fully committed to pushing the liberal agenda down everybody's throat - pun intended - and other than when the game is on I never watch them. Except for PTI. Love that show.

I will miss Cowherd's Sunday morning football show very badly. I cannot stand NFL Countdown and the network shows anymore. They go on and on and on about the most meaningless fluff, talking it up like the fate of the universe hung in the balance. Cowherd's show was only an hour long, funny, irreverent, and didn't take itself or the NFL too seriously. It was a great show.