Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 23, 2024, 12:25:04 pm

Cowherd quits ESPN

Started by bigpigpimpin, July 16, 2015, 06:33:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

Has to do with covering gaming, but also comes the day after the Jenner award. I have never been a big fan of his, but kudos to you sir.

870hogfan

Rumor is he is leaving ESPN for Fox Sports.

fanofthehog

The fact that he chastised everyone who didn't appreciate giving the award to Jenner was arrogant and pompous.

NuttinItUp

WardamnHOGGLE

I'm hearing Gruden might step in and replace him.  Stay tuned.

MS_HogFan

Who is gonna get that time slot?
SOOIE

870hogfan

Quote from: fanofthehog on July 16, 2015, 06:39:16 pm
The fact that he chastised everyone who didn't appreciate giving the award to Jenner was arrogant and pompous.

This.

bulldog04

mhsbc59

I like cowherd he was always up front with why ESPN covered the big teams becasue they get payed more to do so. I did not agree with him much but respected him for admitting they they are just talking heads saying thing to get payed.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

GatorHog

Now ESPN can bring back Dan Patrick - yay!

Hawghiggs

Time to find someone younger and cheaper.

HSVhogfan2

Cowherd isn't the guy that he portrays himself on his show. That may have had something to do with the decision. Probably did. Of course, those things always comes down to money, however, ESPN is a much bigger platform for the rest of his brand, I would think.

It's funny, I just heard one of his rants about how he only had a few more prime wage earning years and needed to get all he could get. I guess he really meant it.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on July 16, 2015, 07:38:43 pm
Cowherd isn't the guy that he portrays himself on his show. That may have had something to do with the decision. Probably did. Of course, those things always comes down to money, however, ESPN is a much bigger platform for the rest of his brand, I would think.

It's funny, I just heard one of his rants about how he only had a few more prime wage earning years and needed to get all he could get. I guess he really meant it.

You know him personally?
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Augustus

At this point, is Paul Finebaum more popular than Cowherd?  I'm not able to find national ratings for the past year.

flagstaffhog

That's what I've come to expect from the arrogant and pompous ars. His show might have been tolerable had he not always shared his political beliefs. Never understood why entertainers would do that and alienate 1\2 their audience....
Go HOGS Go!

Hogimus Prime

Expect more moves like this from ESPN.  Read awhile back ESPN had been told to cut their cost down.  Bill Simmons, Keith Olbermann and now Cowherd. We will probably see several more of the big and popular names leave ESPN in the next year or two

Spikes

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Cinco de Hogo

ESPN is the brand not the people I suppose.  So going to FOX for more money is like Saban going to coach Tulsa for more money.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 16, 2015, 07:44:55 pm
Cowherd did tend to be liberal. Yes. But he was working for a liberal network and I have a feeling he was being told what opinion he could have.
He always seemed pretty libertarian to me.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog.goblin

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 16, 2015, 09:23:01 pm
Good bye Hog Hater.

so you don't listen to him?  sometimes he was down on us, sometimes he was up on us. generally based on our talent level for that particular year.

Quote from: NuttinItUp on July 16, 2015, 08:54:33 pm
He always seemed pretty libertarian to me.

this

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on July 16, 2015, 06:46:18 pm

Sorry, wrong.  It's well known around Hogville.... Gruden still headed to Arkansas.... :)

Latest sign:  3 weeks ago, he was seen wearing a red shirt......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Hawgzinbowlz

Could take CC in small doses...some of the time, smaller than others.

" GO HOGS "

RzRbAcK18

It is always about the money. With that being said, even though working for ESPN is the dream, if I could get the same amount or even close to the same amount of money somewhere else I would leave. I couldn't work for them after giving Jenner that award.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on July 16, 2015, 06:46:18 pm

You forgot the rules state you must use the word "source" when saying Gruden..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

CarolinaSwine

Nutt has already made a statement of no interest in the time slot formerly held by CC

trashcan maN

FS1 is trying to directly compete with ESPN, rather than being little brother for the forseeable future.

Colin is basically scaling down his reach for more money in order to get in on the satellite radio/podcast market in the future. Common belief by folks like Simmons/Cowherd is that ESPN isn't capitalizing on the potential revenue from podcasts. For those that listen to Herd a lot, you know he is always referencing Howard Stern's risky move to satellite radio. What Herd is doing here isn't all that different.

Radios are on their way to being obsolete in vehicles and being replaced by tablet-like operating systems on the dash, which will make podcasts and satellite radio the future of car audio.

Decent play with little downside due to his age and contract IMO

WorfHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 16, 2015, 10:33:23 pm
so you don't listen to him?  sometimes he was down on us, sometimes he was up on us. generally based on our talent level for that particular year.

this

But he didn't wear is religion on his sleeve and hate jenner so he's a commie pinko.

The NewEra

I'll tell you who I think would be a good replacement and cheaper, Bo Mattingly.

rtr

He should start a new show with Phyllis from Mulga.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: The NewEra on July 17, 2015, 10:14:38 pm
I'll tell you who I think would be a good replacement and cheaper, Bo Mattingly.

Bo Mattingly is pretty talented but they probably move Dan Leb to that time slot

Augustus

Quote from: The NewEra on July 17, 2015, 10:14:38 pm

Colin Cowherd, whether you/I/we like him or not, serves a National audience, with a primary focus on Professional Sports (NFL, NBA, etc). He has talked about, on his show, telling his wife that "The NFL paid for this house."

I'm sorry, but there is NO universe in which Bo Mattingly could replace Colin Cowherd's show & timeslot, on a national platform.

No, I'm not a fan of either Colin or Bo... but Bo Mattingly is just a minnow in the pond that Colin is swimming in.

Clay Travis is more likely to leave Fox Sports & take over Cowherd's show, than Bo Mattingly replacing Cowherd.

Bo Mattingly is small potatoes. He's a "go to" guy, when the National guys need someone "on the ground" to speak to a specific Team.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on July 16, 2015, 10:48:24 pm
Sorry, wrong.  It's well known around Hogville.... Gruden still headed to Arkansas.... :)

Gruden has got to be the single most over-rated coach in NFL history.  He's never built a team.   He took Wyche's and Dungy's team to the Superbowl.   Immediately we started seeing a slow erosion of the team.   He probably did more damage to the team in his process of rebuilding than if he would've just let it slowly disintegrate.

Some of my friends from the Tampa area have a similar opinion of Gruden that we do of Nutt.   The big differences being that Gruden does know football to a degree.   He didn't make a fool of himself regularly, and he did seem to be an alright guy.   He certainly isn't a Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, or even a Marty Schottenheimer.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

GS99

He lasted a long time on a big stage so he must be good at what he does, but he was always fingernails on the blackboard to me and I couldn't listen for even a minute.  So I'm hoping they'll replace him with someone I like.

Hoot72

I have always listened to Cowherd, when I could, since he started nearly 10 years ago.  He is one of the best in my opinion when he sticks with sports, but when he gets off into social issues -- we are polar opposites, so I didn't enjoy that as much.  Although I believe that his departure was a mutual decision, as (I believe) both parties had reasons for the split.  But, I was listening to him the day that he went on his rant about ESPN covering a "gaming" tournament, and wondered if being so critical of his bosses would not come back to bite him. 

atekido

ESPN and televised sports in general is going to go thru a HUGE change over the next 5 years. 

HSVhogfan2

"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Dunno what is on I. Arkansas, but in TX he's the only thing Espn had worth listening to.
Let's make some waves.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 16, 2015, 07:44:55 pm
Cowherd did tend to be liberal. Yes. But he was working for a liberal network and I have a feeling he was being told what opinion he could have.

I don't understand why anyone wants to listen to radio blowhards.  It's totally mind numbing to me, so I never listened to Cowherd and I therefore didn't realize that he shared "political opinions".

But do take note that when you're from Arkansas nearly every living person is going to seem "liberal" to you.

When you're on the fringe, moderates appear radical to you.

philobeddoe

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on July 16, 2015, 10:48:24 pm

Now THATS funny right there!!!!!  I gotta go pour me a new cup of coffee now.

BILLYBOB

Cowherd is very upfront with where he stands. He's socially liberal and fiscally conservative. His show is very entertaining and smart. I download his podcast and listen in my car or on long flights. Wherever he goes, I will follow...
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

Hogarusa

Is the OP suggesting that he left based off of a made up award given to Jenner?  Cowherd isnt that dumb, i doubt that played any part of the decision process, whether the ultimate decision was his or ESPNs
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

popcornhog

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 16, 2015, 06:33:57 pm
Has to do with covering gaming, but also comes the day after the Jenner award. I have never been a big fan of his, but kudos to you sir.

I may be missing something, but why kudos?
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogarusa on July 19, 2015, 12:25:17 pm
Is the OP suggesting that he left based off of a made up award given to Jenner?  Cowherd isnt that dumb, i doubt that played any part of the decision process, whether the ultimate decision was his or ESPNs

If so, this thread should be moved to the politics forum, where transphobia is a welcome discussion point by many posters who share the OP's sentiment.

This forum is about Arkansas football, not about hating people who are different.
WPS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 19, 2015, 12:01:14 am
I don't understand why anyone wants to listen to radio blowhards.  It's totally mind numbing to me, so I never listened to Cowherd and I therefore didn't realize that he shared "political opinions".

But do take note that when you're from Arkansas nearly every living person is going to seem "liberal" to you.

+1

majestic

I guess I must be Cowherd's demographic as I actually like his show. I could not stand him when he replaced Tony, but he's kind of grown on me over the years.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

sloot

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 19, 2015, 12:01:14 am

I'm going to guess to stave-off boredom. It's a passive way to indulge in news and opinions regarding sports.

Porked Tongue

Wow.  Truth.

I guess this debunks some wild theories. 

Good for CC as he controls his career and good for ESPN as they now can choose a different path.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 19, 2015, 08:18:04 pm
ESPN exec talks with SI's media columnist about Cowherd.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/07/19/colin-cowherd-fox-sports-espn-radio?page=4&devicetype=default

Wow, that was I wild read!  Does anyone watch/listen to enough programming to know any of those names?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 18, 2015, 10:46:04 pm
ESPN became the hunted and is finding they aren't as mighty as they thought.  This fall will be interesting to watch as they lose programming in the coming years.
Bingo...ESPN got a tad bit lazy and quite a bit more socially assertive on issues that need not be debated in a sports forum. Now FOX, with all the moxie and willingness to spend massive amounts of money is stepping into the Octagon with ESPN....something tells me it might take a decade, but FOX will finally put this on ESPN for a quick 'tap out' ...
The long Grey line will never fail our country.