Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OU to SEC Realignment Thread-Updated 7-26-15

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 24, 2015, 06:34:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 30, 2015, 02:46:16 pm
My understanding is that if the number of conference members falls below 8, the Big 12 TV deal is void.  That's just 3 defections.

Wasn't aware of that. No wonder David Boren is nervous.
Go Hogs Go!

medloh

IIRC A&M and Mizzou only paid what the B12 was withholding for next years TV revenue--worked out to about 12 million each.  So they actually didn't pay, they just agreed to not get the current years check.

The B12 annual payments have gone up significantly since then, I think OU got around 26 million from the B12 for TV revenue this year.  I'm guessing that's probably about what OU would have to pay to leave.  That may be overly simplistic, and they may have strengthened the penalties for leaving since then.
"We wish the B12 the best, and all that"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: medloh on June 30, 2015, 05:10:06 pm
IIRC A&M and Mizzou only paid what the B12 was withholding for next years TV revenue--worked out to about 12 million each.  So they actually didn't pay, they just agreed to not get the current years check.

The B12 annual payments have gone up significantly since then, I think OU got around 26 million from the B12 for TV revenue this year.  I'm guessing that's probably about what OU would have to pay to leave.  That may be overly simplistic, and they may have strengthened the penalties for leaving since then.

Yes but that was before the current GOR's Agreement was signed. If they had signed this current agreement and then left for the SEC, the Big 12 would have retained their television rights. Not sure for how long, but at least a year.
Go Hogs Go!

NaturalStateReb

Paul Finebaum
Paul Finebaum – Verified account ‏@finebaum

According to @ESPN_Colin "The Big 5 in CFB is ready to be the Big 4... BigXII will evaporate, Oklahoma is SEC bound & the Pac12 wants Texas"
3:01 PM - 30 Jun 2015
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 01, 2015, 08:11:57 am
Paul Finebaum
Paul Finebaum – Verified account ‏@finebaum

According to @ESPN_Colin "The Big 5 in CFB is ready to be the Big 4... BigXII will evaporate, Oklahoma is SEC bound & the Pac12 wants Texas"
3:01 PM - 30 Jun 2015

And I just saw another article this morning by a sportswriter (Jake Trotter) that says the Big 12 will expand. Maybe not tomorrow, but some kind of movement in the next 5 years. Who knows?
Go Hogs Go!

tigers68

Wanted to get the good fans on Hogville's opinion on the following:

With the hot topic of conference realignment coming up again, let's say ESPN agreed to fold the Longhorn Network into the SECNetwork, and then the SEC proposed to member schools have Texass and Mobilehoma join the SEC.  How would the following schools vote?

Arkansas
Mizzou
LSU
aTm
Ole Miss
Miss. St

My thoughts are:

Arkansas - No
Mizzou - No
LSU - Yes
aTm -HELL NO
Ole Miss -Yes
Miss. St - No

UAfanatic

No Texas, they are a cancer to the other teams in any conference they would be part of.

LRHawg

I hope the long horns stay down and in the big 12 forever ::hornsdown::

rhames

Texas wants to control the conference they are in. They either stay in the big 12 or become independent.

If the sec adds schools it will be in states with no sec footprint.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on July 01, 2015, 08:53:59 am
Texas wants to control the conference they are in. They either stay in the big 12 or become independent.

If the sec adds schools it will be in states with no sec footprint.

Unless that state has a HUGE footprint.............like tejas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ColinRagan

Doesn't the addition of a new conference member have to be unanimous?   I would see the aggies veto texas.  Wasn't the story that when we joined the sec, Florida vetoed any talk of adding florida state.

Doug

Interesting that you note mostly SEC West schools except for your own.

10 of the 14 SEC schools would need to be a YES vote before ANY school receives an invite into the conference.

That means that even 5 "no" votes shutters that invitation. Right now, we can almost safely assume that there are 4 "no" votes with TAMU, Hogs, Mizzou and Miss State.

Auburn and Alabama will vote the same (whether yes or no).

I wouldn't be so sure about LSU voting yes.

UGA, TN and Florida: You would be hard pressed to get all three to vote "Yes".

Okie and Okie Lite are a package deal, unfortunately. "What's good for the goose" and all that.

SEC won't expand any further west. They'll expand east and possibly north. IF the SEC adds two schools, they'll come from NC, WV and VA... states that the SEC doesn't have a presence in.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

wholehog92

Tuck fexas.  They would veto any offer we made them their own self.  The SEC isn't going to give them special treatment and they won't come without it.

Who cares about zero u?  They are now irrelevant.  Dried up cowtown in the middle of a craphole area in a dying conference playing second fiddle to men with a uterus on their helmet playing their inbred 2nd cousins once a year.  The only real games they play are relevant only regionally and they aren't that great at winning the region.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 01, 2015, 08:14:59 am
And I just saw another article this morning by a sportswriter (Jake Trotter) that says the Big 12 will expand. Maybe not tomorrow, but some kind of movement in the next 5 years. Who knows?

It's a lot of chatter from ESPN-types, and we know who's writing the checks.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

TexHog188

Quote from: tigers68 on July 01, 2015, 08:27:08 am
Wanted to get the good fans on Hogville's opinion on the following:

With the hot topic of conference realignment coming up again, let's say ESPN agreed to fold the Longhorn Network into the SECNetwork, and then the SEC proposed to member schools have Texass and Mobilehoma join the SEC.  How would the following schools vote?

Arkansas
Mizzou
LSU
aTm
Ole Miss
Miss. St

My thoughts are:

Arkansas - No Tuck Fexas  :puke:
Mizzou - No
LSU - Yes
aTm -HELL NO
Ole Miss -Yes
Miss. St - No

FIFY
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Doug on July 01, 2015, 09:14:15 am

10 of the 14 SEC schools would need to be a YES vote before ANY school receives an invite into the conference.

That means that even 5 "no" votes shutters that invitation. Right now, we can almost safely assume that there are 4 "no" votes with TAMU, Hogs, Mizzou and Miss State.

Okie and Okie Lite are a package deal, unfortunately. "What's good for the goose" and all that.

SEC won't expand any further west. They'll expand east and possibly north. IF the SEC adds two schools, they'll come from NC, WV and VA... states that the SEC doesn't have a presence in.

Why would State be an automatic no?  I think the East schools would all be a yes, since Texas is no threat to them and the money will be phenomenal. 

Don't put down Arkansas as an automatic no, either--think having that Texas rivalry happen every year isn't meaningful to Arkansas?  Or having another relatively short conference away trip to Norman?

TAMU probably would be a no.  Missouri would probably like to have the series with old Big 8 partner OU restored.

Getting schools from the ACC would presuppose that they are gettable, which I seriously doubt.  The ACC is more stable than the Big 12, and those schools have been together (the NC and VA schools, for the most part) for a long time. 

I'm not sure that OU and OSU are a package deal, although they might be.  I can see us taking OU and WVU/OSU.  It won't be just about who we'd like to have--it'll be about who we can get as well.

If Texas and OU approach the SEC to gauge interest, you can bet there's going to be intense interest.  What they would do financially and for SEC Network would be extremely lucrative.

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 01, 2015, 08:56:50 am
Unless that state has a HUGE footprint.............like tejas.

While you're right Texas is a big state but the sec already has a foot print in all of the big markets

Texas A&m would never want us to add Texas the same reason Florida wouldn't want us to add any other schools in that state

It makes more sense for the sec to add teams that could bring a footprint in from the northern east coast or the Oklahoma schools

Texas is a powerhouse but in my opinion isn't a good fit for the sec from many standpoints
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on July 01, 2015, 11:19:23 am

While you're right Texas is a big state but the sec already has a foot print in all of the big markets

Texas A&m would never want us to add Texas the same reason Florida wouldn't want us to add any other schools in that state

It makes more sense for the sec to add teams that could bring a footprint in from the northern east coast or the Oklahoma schools

Texas is a powerhouse but in my opinion isn't a good fit for the sec from many standpoints

I agree....That doesn't mean all of the SEC would since there are over 26 million people in Texas the second largest in the US. Also with concern to OU some say that the state of Oklahoma doesn't bring enough media exposure however they are forgetting how much OU is followed in the DFW and north Texas areas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Why not?  Do you think that would put too much pressure on the SEC "old timers" to move Auburn and/or Bama to the East?

-phil

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on July 01, 2015, 12:05:50 pm
Why not?  Do you think that would put too much pressure on the SEC "old timers" to move Auburn and/or Bama to the East?

-phil

I'm betting it is because the states of Virginia and North Carolina bring more to the table in regards to new media markets, etc. Although Texas is huge the SEC is now already getting coverage there due to TAMU but it could be even better with another traditional power team from the area. Although OU has a lot of followers in Texas the overall footprint expansion is better to try and get eastern states. Now IF it came down to getting both OU and Tejas versus getting UNC or NCS and VT or UVA then I'd bet there would be some very spirited discussions at the SEC meetings and offices!

Mike_e

Just from looking in from the outside it seems to me that tejas would be happier in the Pac.

They've always struck me as more of the wine and cheese set than the beer and BBQ types in the SEC.

Ok could manage here pretty well in recruiting and somewhat closer to home away games.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Mike_e on July 01, 2015, 12:44:14 pm
Just from looking in from the outside it seems to me that tejas would be happier in the Pac.

They've always struck me as more of the wine and cheese set than the beer and BBQ types in the SEC.

Ok could manage here pretty well in recruiting and somewhat closer to home away games.

Plus Texas sees itself as a Public Ivy, which is more like the Pac-X profile.

rljjr

The Longhorns are a cancer that have killed one conference (SWC) and are driving the Big12 to the brink of extinction. Nobody wants them around. OU is stuck with them, though. Warms my heart.

HamIAm

Quote from: ColinRagan on July 01, 2015, 09:08:32 am
...  Wasn't the story that when we joined the sec, Florida vetoed any talk of adding florida state.

No.

FSU didn't come because Bowden didn't want to play tough competition.

QuoteOn August 3, Bobby Bowden admitted to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "I like to win games, and I can't think of a tougher place to do that than the SEC." Under the proposed division alignment, Florida State would face Florida, Auburn and Alabama every year, which raised objections from FSU Athletic Director Bob Goin. "Most conferences have got two really strong programs," Bowden continued, "but top to bottom there isn't one close to the SEC." Another report, by Mark Maske of the Washington Post, suggested Florida State refused to be in the same conference as Florida because the Gators "once fostered an SEC blackballing of the Seminoles." In 2001, a Florida Times-Union retrospective quoted a FSU booster as saying, "There was quite a bit of feeling that we didn't want to be entrapped; a feeling that among some fans that if we go into [the SEC]...we'd be kind of a stepchild."

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

MuskogeeHogFan

July 01, 2015, 05:30:56 pm #74 Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:07:11 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Mike_e on July 01, 2015, 12:44:14 pm

I don't know. Personally I can't see Texas being a very good fit for the Pac 12 without the addition of someone like Baylor, TCU, maybe Texas Tech or Oklahoma. Texas would fit better from a cultural standpoint with the SEC than the Pac 12 IMO, but whatever happens, Texas is going to have to drop the "we are more important and better than everyone else and need to run everything" attitude or they would be a better fit as an Independent.

Had the Longhorn Network been as big of a success as the SEC Network they might have already made noises of going Indy, but that has failed miserably reminding Texas that they are not an "island unto themselves". They needed a "come-uppance" and they got it, via the failure of the LHN.

That said, as much as they hate to hear it, they NEED to be a part of a conference. They fit in the Big 12 right now but they wouldn't fit in the ACC, Big Ten or the Pac 12. Culturally they are a better fit for the SEC if something happens to the Big 12 because they remain linked by history to the South, but they are going to have to assume a more submissive posture before anyone will allow them into the SEC.

So let's assume for a moment that they have this moment of self-realization and they (Texas) would be invited to join the SEC along with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and at the same time, the SEC brings in Florida State. A super-conference of 18 teams would be created where the SEC would have each team feature 8 conference games on each side, with no cross-overs, or the option of one rotating cross-over per season taking it to 9 conference games each year. Heck you could even set up a "home and away" where you rotated cross-overs every two years if that is what you wanted.

The West would look like this:
Arkansas, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Miss State, Mississippi, Texas and Texas A&M.

The East would look like this:
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, S. Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

What that creates is a scenario of a conference that is so strong that even a two-loss team that wins the SEC would be guaranteed a berth in the NC Play-offs.

A tough conference, but worth more money than it is now and even bigger pay-outs to member schools and it solidifies the SEC's standing as the best conference in the entire country with the biggest drawing power to any network. It virtually body slams the Big Ten, the Pac 12 and it should go without saying, the ACC.
Go Hogs Go!

Mick

I can't see Texas ever making it into the SEC and I personally hope they don't at least. Like most I'd like to see us expand East but that may just not be feasible. The ACC schools we all bring up may simply not be interested in coming. So maybe something like adding OK and WV could work though. Some say you can't get OK without Okie lite but I'm not sure that would hold true if OK really wanted out or the Big 12 really started to crumble.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 01, 2015, 10:33:02 am
It's a lot of chatter from ESPN-types, and we know who's writing the checks.

I understand. If defection is the route they take, what would prevent the SEC from doing what I described above, and would it favor the SEC?
Go Hogs Go!

farmhawg

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 01, 2015, 09:16:58 am
Tuck fexas.  They would veto any offer we made them their own self.  The SEC isn't going to give them special treatment and they won't come without it.

Who cares about zero u?  They are now irrelevant.  Dried up cowtown in the middle of a craphole area in a dying conference playing second fiddle to men with a uterus on their helmet playing their inbred 2nd cousins once a year.  The only real games they play are relevant only regionally and they aren't that great at winning the region.
+1
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rhames on July 01, 2015, 08:53:59 am
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Mike_e

That would be a lot of teams.

You'd likely get a lot of flac from fans wanting to see more of the teams from the other side.

lefty08

Adding Texas would be extremely lucrative for the SEC. It would completely sew up the state of Texas as well. Whatever viewership we think we gained with aTm is nothing compared to having both. I would welcome the move myself, the SEC is strong top to bottom and Texas wouldn't be able to bully. We already have bama pushing everyone around. I think it would be awesome to get them the day after thanksgiving every year even though aTm would probably get that honor. In that case we get LSU back and stop this fake rivalry that has been forced on us with Missouri. Let Missouri have Oklahoma. I think it's a win win for the conference and Texas\Oklahoma

As far as expanding east I just don't see it. I see the sec looking to the west. The ACC is as engrained with ESPN as the SEC and I don't see them allowing the ACC to be damaged. We all know the Big12 is already in trouble and the most likely to fold. Moving west makes more sense imo and the most likely to happen
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Mike_e

One things clear, if tejas moves to the SEC ok will have to or dry up and blow away with the hit their recruiting would take.

Hog N Bama

I like Texas on the outside looking in  ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Aggie96

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2015, 02:49:34 pm
Wasn't aware of that. No wonder David Boren is nervous.

This is true and in the Bylaws (or at least it was when we left) That is why they had to quickly go out and pick up Purple Baylor and the couch burners.
You can eat the Apple but don't Eff with the Corps!!! GIG 'EM!!!

j-mann

what about Kansas a AAU school   and Kansas St   it would give Mizzou their real rival back  and once Snider leaves K-St  u have a school that most anyone can beat   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

redeye

I think all the talk is just talk.  Anything else is very unlikely for the immediate future.

Also, I think LSU would vote no.

rwspear

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Murr

Quote from: rwspear on July 01, 2015, 11:07:57 pm
hogs would definitely vote no
Quote from: lefty08 on July 01, 2015, 11:08:44 pm
I wouldn't be so sure of that

Agreed.

Arkansas loves playing Texas.  Arkansas, and everyone else for that matter, hates putting up with Tejas' s***.  Texas would have to play by the SEC rules as an equal, which goes against everything they are about.

Murr

Good post, but I believe the point of Boren's recent chatter was that OU is looking for a stable conference.  If they can't make the Big 12 stable for the long haul, then they'll look else where.  Boren's comments set the grounds for them to move in the future with or without OSU since no one was willing to take that pair during the "wallflower" debacle the resulted in Missouri abandoning ship for the SEC and WVU plugging that hole.

seasonhog

Quote from: lefty08 on July 01, 2015, 11:08:44 pm
I wouldn't be so sure of that

Follow the money...........Texas has a lot of money........why is Arkansas in the SEC......money

redeye

Quote from: Murr on July 01, 2015, 11:27:34 pm
Agreed.

Arkansas loves playing Texas.  Arkansas, and everyone else for that matter, hates putting up with Tejas' s***.  Texas would have to play by the SEC rules as an equal, which goes against everything they are about.

I think SEC AD's know that Texas is trouble and won't even consider them, again.  They already have the Texas market with A&M and don't need them, anyway.  Many only see $$$, but I don't think our AD's see it that way.

I may be wrong, but I think Arkansas was one of a few schools that was prepared to vote against OU last time the SEC expanded (pretty sure I read that somewhere).  The problem with OU is that we both recruit many of the same places, and OU to the SEC would strengthen OU in those places, which would hurt Arkansas.  This is in contrast to A&M, because A&M gave us added exposure in far more places by joining the SEC (i.e. Texas).

Also, keep in mind that while Arkansas could gain some added exposure in our recruiting territories, if OU joined the SEC, the Sooners would likely continue to play Texas and that would give them a big advantage with Texas recruits we're both after.

Theolesnort

Quote from: seasonhog on July 01, 2015, 11:42:54 pm

Follow the money...........Texas has a lot of money........why is Arkansas in the SEC......money
Keep in mind that once the SEC payout starts multiplying then we have no real idea about who will start clamoring to join the SEC. My guess is the landscape will change a bunch and the SEC can pick and choose when that time comes. No need to add right now when the time is coming to be able to choose with a lot more data. Haste makes waste.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Lanny

Texas is not going to give up the Longhorn Network.  The Big 12 has more lives than a cat, I thought for sure that conference was dead several years ago and like a phoenix they keep coming back.

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

GuvHog

Texas would never get enough votes for an SEC invitation. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State as a package deal most certainly would IMHO.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Murr on July 01, 2015, 11:32:46 pm
Good post, but I believe the point of Boren's recent chatter was that OU is looking for a stable conference.  If they can't make the Big 12 stable for the long haul, then they'll look else where.  Boren's comments set the grounds for them to move in the future with or without OSU since no one was willing to take that pair during the "wallflower" debacle the resulted in Missouri abandoning ship for the SEC and WVU plugging that hole.

I don't think that Boren can expend that kind of political capital again just to be made to look like a fool again.  Something's happened.  OU is having trouble selling tickets and raising money, sure, but somebody had a conversation somewhere.  Something triggered David Boren spitting out his burnt orange ball gag in public.  But what was it?

rickm1976

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 01, 2015, 09:16:58 am

Because of my upbringing, I'm an OU fan (after the Hogs), but there is so much truth in what you said.  I couldn't have put it better myself.

Cinco de Hogo

I never want Texas anywhere near the SEC, putting up with aTm is as much or more than I can take of arrogant Texas bastaarrrdds.  I would take OU and OSU as a package deal.

But then I don't care about the money.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: j-mann on July 01, 2015, 09:54:18 pm
what about Kansas a AAU school   and Kansas St   it would give Mizzou their real rival back  and once Snider leaves K-St  u have a school that most anyone can beat   

Not big enough media.............especially to take two. Maybe one but not two.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2015, 08:42:56 am
Texas would never get enough votes for an SEC invitation. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State as a package deal most certainly would IMHO.

But unless something else changes I don't see them being offered a package deal.