Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roti League Fix-It Poll

Started by Oklahawg, March 22, 2005, 10:54:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Which option do you prefer as our way of fixing the botched mlb.com draft from Sunday night?

Leave it as is
6 (600%)
Complete redraft on mlb.com
5 (500%)
complete redraft using hogville chat, submit names to commish
1 (100%)
same as #3, but retain first 4 rounds
0 (0%)
redraft only the rounds that seemed to be screwed u
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Oklahawg

Explanations:

#1. no changes, except we need to tweak some rosters to get everyone's positions filled out.

#2. finding a date will be tough...

#3. This is the 12-player, rank-ordered list sent to Oklahawg, who will sort and post; when each list is exhausted we resubmit

#4. Same as #3, but we keep the first 4 rounds, since they were largely unaffected. If you got screwed in round #4 then we can keep the first 2 rounds.

#5. Pair up rounds (1 and 2; 3 and 4; etc) and select certain pairs to redraft. You throw those players into the available player pool and we redraft. We pair them up so that we keep the spirit of the serpentine draft. We can nominate pairs of rounds if this is the option we want. This redraft would be held on hogville in the spirit of #3 (for ease of getting this done). Thus, if Windy wants to punt Sosa every player in Sosa's round (and the paired round) are available; its entirely possible that Windy winds up with Sosa but it would be his choice.

Note: #3, #4, and #5 can easily be finished by opening day. What is lost is the immediacy of doing the entire league all at once.

You may vote twice, so that you can indicate that more than one option is acceptible.

Sorry for this being a bit long-winded...
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WindyCityHog

After much deliberation.....I say we just keep it.  Another thing that I didn't like about the draft that hasn't been addressed is that I thought we had 31 rounds....There were only 28 (the DL spots).  That wasn't clear....and if I see 31 rounds, I'm thinking we draft for 31 rounds.  How about: a.  Either expanding the rosters so that we can pick up 3 more players; or b. having a "supplemental" draft for those 3 spots.

Getting everyone on board to draft again would be impossible.....

Porkahontas

Wow, Barry Bonds just said he may miss the entire season because of the knee injury.

Whoever has Bonds will probably vote for a redraft.  ;D

As for the draft, I'd say either keep it like it is or have a complete redraft on MLB.com. We all got screwed pretty much equally, so I think some of the mess can be fixed with some liberal and hardcore trading. Everyone would probably be better off just submitting a list of needs, players they want to move, and what they have extra of, and when everyone gets done, we could almost sit here and move players to and from whatever teams we need.

I came out alright in the draft, but I know some guys got shafted a bit on what players they got stuck with. If Windy wants to move Sosa and needs a 2B or SS, post it here and if anybody has an extra middle infielder and needs an OF, trade offers should come relatively quickly. I'd be personally willing to move anybody I have extra to a team that got screwed just to make it more even.

I guess I'm pretty much against the draft using the chat room and submitting picks 12 or 24 at a time. Seems very time consuming and meticulous.

And Okla and Windy, thanks for busting tail with this league. You two have been wearing out the world wide web trying to make sure nobody doesn't feel overly screwed with this mess. Bang up job.

Brett Hitman Hog

The redraft doesn't seem like a viable option.  I'll vote to leave it as is ... and try to reconfigure my team any way I can whether by trade or by wires.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Brett Hitman Hog on March 22, 2005, 02:55:46 pm
The redraft doesn't seem like a viable option. I'll vote to leave it as is ... and try to reconfigure my team any way I can whether by trade or by wires.

Doesn't seem to float that way....and as bad as I hate Sosa (and he was my 7th round pick), he's a good bargain at say....the 24th round...

I say we go with the draft.  I've sent Okla my thoughts....and I would like to open up 3 more roster picks (due to the "31 round" draft).....That way, you could go shopping....and feel like you're wife/girlfriend.....shopping for meaningless buys.

We have a good group of guys in the Roti league....Next year though...It's Yahoo...they know how to handle it.

Oklahawg

Guys, not to lobby or anything, but wasn't the bumping off largely focused on a couple of rounds? If so, why not toss those rounds back and redraft them? That's one of the options and at least you can tweak as your want or can.

I'm a go-with-the-flow guy at this point. I just don't want guys bailing ship before we've hit Opening Day.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WindyCityHog

Supplemental draft.....I like the idea...

big dread hog

cause and effect with a domino result is what happened with  me. I drafted later to compensate what happened earlier on. I don't remember if it was the 5th round, I got so mad that I did not focus. I thought I had screwed up by causing a freeze up in my computer. I have a flash blocker and thought I must have enabled it and lost the draft until I saw all the right dots. I voted to keep the draft and make it a very active league. Lots of trades and waiver moves to come.  That is kinda cool, only Windy rivaled my in roster moves in our Yahoo league last yr. It was a necessary evil then and now. I'm happy just to see what can be salvaged. I kinda like the challenge plus I will be difficult to fit into another draft.

Oklahawg

From your emails waiting for you at MLB.com:

Folks it appears that the best solution for now is to plug ahead and work out the issues from the draft with aggressive trading and waiver claims.

Windy is still working for some relief from the website and if you get inquiries from the host (mlb.com) about your satisfaction don't be bashful, just polite.

You'll notice that I've approved several trades that seem fair and equitable. Should you feel otherwise let me know. I am not a heavy-hand.

Also, you'll notice that several folks have already had waiver claims approved. I should let you know that I'll be pretty open with that until the season starts. I will award claims during the season based on reverse order in the standings within a 48 hour window--if 3 additional teams claim Jeff Niemann of TB within 48 hours of the first claim on Niemann I'll award it to the team furthest from 1st place (ties broken by who is first on the clock).

My goal is simple--all of us happy and all of us finding moments of intrigue and pleasure for the next 6 months. Don't hesitate to suggest ways to make that happen. Its OUR league, not mine or Windy's.

Oklahawg

ADDENDUM:

I am sending notices to some of you who need to tidy up your roster before opening day--making sure you have the right number of roster slots, etc.

And, I have vetoed one trade simply because it was imbalanced--all trades need to have equal number of players. If the deal looks reasonable (other than that) I'll approve. If it seems to be one that might need a second look I'll leave it out there for folks to vote on.

Porkahontas

Guys, I'm gonna wait until everyone else has filled out their rosters before I pick up anybody. I feel very comfortable with my team right now so I don't want to grab a player that someone else may want or need, just to have him sit on my bench.

I'll get active filling out my roster after everyone else gets what they need first.

I like the idea of using this forum for updates. It seems to work pretty well for quick info and such.

razormatt

why do trades need to have an even number of players?

I don't agree with that, just make the guy that trades 1 for 2 drop one of his other guys.

Oklahawg

Your roster must remain balanced after each transaction. A 2-for-1 deal leaves one team long and one team short. Better to have the team wanting one player dump their worst player to balance it out. This is standard roti rules; if the league prefers otherwise I'll go with the consensus.

Razorback Jedi

I've not been in a league that does not allow 2-1 or 3-2 types of trades.... Sometimes it takes 2 guys to get 1. Especially if there is a DL spot on the roster.

Brett Hitman Hog

When it goes through it asks you to dump one anyway ... if you are getting 2 players.  Sometimes 1 for 1 isn't good enough to fill needs or to get a balanced trade.

Porkahontas

Agree with matt and hitman on this one.

Sometimes, it takes two good players to swap for a great player. If I need a 2B and an SS, and team B needs/wants a top notch OF, I'd like to have the ability to send a player like Beltran or Vlad to team B for a pair of players like Kent & Jeter, or something like that.

Of course, another way to do this for those who want to work a trade like that is to do like I just said, Team B send me Kent & Jeter, but instead of me offering up just Beltran, throw in my worst player (like an Angel Berroa or somebody I don't need). Team B can dump Berroa after he comes over in the trade.

I just want to make sure we all have the ability to move players somewhat liberally right now until the season begins so we can fix the messes MLB.com left some of us/ya'll with. After the season starts, maybe tighten the reins just a bit on some of the dealing and the fairness of 'em.

WindyCityHog

Doesn't the site have it set up that if you trade 1 for 2, then you have to automatically dump a player as well?  Relegating trades to just even numbers takes a lot out of it.....The number of guys you have on your roster is really irrelevant....It's having the playing spots filled that truly matters....

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 23, 2005, 06:25:35 pm
Doesn't the site have it set up that if you trade 1 for 2, then you have to automatically dump a player as well? Relegating trades to just even numbers takes a lot out of it.....The number of guys you have on your roster is really irrelevant....It's having the playing spots filled that truly matters....
It does ... that's why I'm not understanding where the problem is with a 2 for 1 or a 3 for 2 trade.

Oklahawg

Guys, that's fine with me. And, since the site auto-fixes it then we can go with that. I'll let you guys re-do the trade you had proposed earlier and push it through for you.

See? That's easy--the people speak and the commish responds.

Oklahawg

Guys, one other thing. Do we need to establish a policy on waivers for in-season? Right now I'm just authorizing them so you can tweak rosters. Once the season starts should we do this weekly, daily, first-come/first-serve only, lowest in the standings gets first choice in the waiver period...etc.

WindyCityHog

Waivers should be based on the draft.....he who drafted 1st should be 12th on the waiver-priority....until the season begins....and just like in real baseball, waivers should be based on team-standing....but given the draft problems, I think it should be free agents (first come, first serve) until the season begins.

Razorback Jedi

I agree with Mike, make them all free agents until the season begins, then use the waiver process based on team rankings.

big dread hog

the 2 for 1 veto was the first time I had experienced that, and since the league settings allow for a finite number it is obvious that roster changes would have to be made to accomplish that. We did just what has been suggested and added in a junk player who will hit the waiver wire as soon as the deal is accomplished. Other moves had to be made to keep the slots correct and one more move than was necessary was forced, however the trade will work out. I still think the league settings should be the protocol to follow and there is no prohibition on uneven trade numbers. I also agree that until the first week is over that all players undrafted should be free agents then go iinto the worst is first in waiver priority when the season commences. It looks like we are working through the nuances of the MLB site and will be ready to go in April.

WindyCityHog

True....it's a new site for me....and I'm still learning it.  It's not as user-friendly as Yahoo....but I think we'll all get it eventually.

Brett Hitman Hog

The waivers should be in reverse order of the draft the first week then based on league standings ... That way the lower teams have a better chance of picking up the rising players before the better teams as a way to get back in it.

Porkahontas

I say the waiver wire should be tossed out the window until the season begins, then reverse order according to the draft.

Would it be possible to wait until after the first month of the season before letting teams lower in the standings have more priority on the waiver wire? The first week or two, it's really hit or miss with the standings.

Whatever makes it easier for you guys to have a chance to catch me during the season sounds good. :D

Oklahawg

Anyone see a reason to NOT allow open signings until the first pitch on Opening Day given the draft snafu? And, after that its weekly in reverse order of the standings on Sunday at noon. That's a day/time that I can work with and get stuff out to you sometime Sunday afternoon. Folks have the weekend to finalize their requests.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 24, 2005, 02:23:03 pm
Anyone see a reason to NOT allow open signings until the first pitch on Opening Day given the draft snafu? And, after that its weekly in reverse order of the standings on Sunday at noon. That's a day/time that I can work with and get stuff out to you sometime Sunday afternoon. Folks have the weekend to finalize their requests.

No qualms here.

Brett Hitman Hog

big dread hog

and whomever that Milwaukee Clown Selig if kissing up to as a commissioner. I guess that is not a ringing endorsement, but carry on and let the activity roll. Laissez faire bon temps roulet.

Oklahawg

I think I'm supposed to say "thank you"...:)

WindyCityHog

Open it up....no need for waivers until after the first week's standings....I can't wait until the MLB rosters are set and you can put some players on DL....I have a few that will be going there (in all leagues I'm involved in).....