Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EDITED*** Fantasy trade help needed... Beltran/Nathan for Tex/Oswalt

Started by Razorback Jedi, March 07, 2005, 12:11:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Jedi

We're in the middle of our draft, my team thus far is:
Vlad, Tex, Soriano, Hudson, Oswalt, Halladay, Clemens.

Another owner is offering me BELTRAN and Nathan for Tex and Oswalt.

Points based league. Points are:
Hitting:
1 point: R, RBI, 1B, Walk
2 Point: 2b, SB
3 point: 3b
4 point: hr
-1 point: ko, error

Pitching:
1 point: per out, k, pko
5 points: complete game
10 points: win, save, shut out
-1 point: bbi, error, wp, hit
-5 point: loss, blown save

I'd be dealing tex and oswalt and getting Nathan and Beltran in return.

It's a keeper league, but I doubt that Tex or Oswalt will be on my keeper team for next year. Thoughts?

WindyCityHog

I'd take that trade....because if wins and saves get you 10 points, then Nathan is going to have at least 40 (400 points) to Oswalt's 20 wins max (200)....complete games are rare...and if -5 is for losses or blown saves....should be about even..although I think Nathan only blew 1 save last year....

For this year, given your scoring, Bonds would be the better option (especially since walks are scored)....and if you're not interested in keeping Tex in the keeper league....

I would make that trade.

Razorback Jedi

Thanks windy... I just absolutely despise Bonds and have no desire to have him on my team for that matter. Though, he is a fantasy stud b/c of walks/hits/hr's.

I think we're going to throw in an exchange of draft picks in the deal too - I'd improve my 8th round pick by 9 spots... Which might help net me a better player in the 8th round (next round).

WindyCityHog

March 07, 2005, 01:12:52 pm #3 Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 01:14:47 pm by WindyCityHog
No problem....you're only real concern should be strikeouts....Oswalt (if he stays healthy) will get 200+....Nathan will get around 70 or so....but I think Nathan's saves will at LEAST double Oswalt's wins, if not more....Of course, health is the key here....Oswalt seems to get hurt every year....Nathan ain't going to go in the tank.....but you have to hope injuries don't play a part.

....and if you can improve your draft position as well, this is a no-brainer.  Good luck....and separate personal preferences from playing fantasy baseball.....I absolutely HATE anything Cub....but I would take Prior, Wood, Zambrano, and Garciaparra in a heartbeat....as much as I don't like their team.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 07, 2005, 01:12:52 pm
No problem....you're only real concern should be strikeouts....Oswalt (if he stays healthy) will get 200+....Nathan will get around 70 or so....but I think Nathan's saves will at LEAST double Oswalt's wins, if not more....Of course, health is the key here....Oswalt seems to get hurt every year....Nathan ain't going to go in the tank.....but you have to hope injuries don't play a part.

....and if you can improve your draft position as well, this is a no-brainer.  Good luck....and separate personal preferences from playing fantasy baseball.....I absolutely HATE anything Cub....but I would take Prior, Wood, Zambrano, and Garciaparra in a heartbeat....as much as I don't like their team.

i was gonna comment on oswalt's health but you got it. i just don't trust oswalt staying healthy for a season, but he is very good...

WindyCityHog

Thanks Prag...Oswalt=groin injury waiting to happen.  I like Oswalt too....when he's on, he's a top 10 SP.  But he has a penchant for getting injured....and that lowers his value for me...If he would stay healthy, I could see a 22-6, 2.30 ERA, 245 SO season...

razormatt

I feel no need whatsoever to not separate my personal preferences and my fantasy teams.

I hate the Cubs and will never waste a high draft pick on one of those losing swooners.

Just like I'd never pick Bonds.

Razorback Jedi

March 08, 2005, 09:06:12 am #7 Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 09:32:27 am by Razorback Jedi
The original deal fell through. Now I'm being offered:

Beltran/Nathan

for my

Tex/Oswalt

I'm stupid not to take this, right?

Porkahontas

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on March 08, 2005, 09:06:12 am
The original deal fell through. Now I'm being offered:

Beltran/Nathan

for my

Tex/Oswalt

I'm stupid not to take this, right?

Beltran and Nathan for Texiera and Oswalt?

Boy, jump on that sucker as fast as you can before the dude realizes how lopsided that trade is and pulls the offer.

Beltran is a stud. He's just now hitting the peak of his career. He put up #'s in KC, and you know what kind of potent offense they have (insert sarcasm tag here). He lit it up for Houston late last year when he got adjusted. The Mets have protection around Beltran in the form of Floyd, Cameron, Matsui, Piazza, Reyes, and that rookie 3B Wright. Beltran has the potential to hit around .320 with about 50 SB's and probably close to 35-40 HR's this year. He's a keeper.

Nathan, there's no reason not to think he can't repeat what he did last year for the next few years. He's one of the top 10 closers in the league right now, probably.

Texiera, you can always find a 1B. Some guys will move to 1B if their health fails them. As far as Oswalt, when was the last healthy season he had? He's always on the DL. Good pitcher, but always hurt.

Make this trade and make it right now. Go. Make it. Now!