Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JR's coming back?

Started by soooieman, June 15, 2015, 09:35:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

soooieman

anybody want to take a stab at the 2016 lineup and staff? Now that the draft is over I haven't seen a projected roster. I hope our JR's return because we could be back in Omaha next year. Those who have inside connections I would really appreciate the info.

jry04

I will give it a go:

1. Nomura 2B
2. Benninghoff CF
3. Eagan LF
4. Spanberger 1B
5. Bonfield DH
6. Bernal SS
7. McAfee 3B
8. Sam McDonnell RF
9. Pennell C

May be a reach with McAfee at 3B, but Wiggns left, and Wernes appears to be leaving. I could see us moving him over there. Maybe Gassaway and Spanberger play the corners instead.

Weekend starters: Jackson, McKinney, Teague

ucahogfan

McDonnell has already signed.  I plan on doing a way too early look tomorrow.

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 15, 2015, 09:45:27 pm
McDonnell has already signed.  I plan on doing a way too early look tomorrow.
Wow, I missed that. I guess it will be Shaddy or Bonfield in the OF, then.

SPAL

Gotta have shaddy in there somewhere, I think.

Also, u listed Eagan and mac at 3rd....did u mean for Eagan in left?

soooieman

Wow. I don't see any power in that lineup. Lots of small ball and pitching from what I see.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 15, 2015, 09:47:43 pm
Gotta have shaddy in there somewhere, I think.

Also, u listed Eagan and mac at 3rd....did u mean for Eagan in left?
Yes, sorry. Eagan in LF.

ricepig

Quote from: soooieman on June 15, 2015, 09:50:24 pm
Wow. I don't see any power in that lineup. Lots of small ball and pitching from what I see.

Power?? What do you think Spanberger and Bonfield are, potentially??

Knot2brite

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2015, 09:52:36 pm
Power?? What do you think Spanberger and Bonfield are, potentially??
there is no guarantee that either or both of them are returning...could be some really radical changes before next year
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

BroyledNutts

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2015, 09:51:20 pm
Yes, sorry. Eagan in LF.

Why not Eagan at 1st? He showed ridiculous defensive skills there this season...Is it to work someone else into the lineup?

jackflash

I for one hopes Bonfield  stays

soooieman

Why would Bonfield leave?

SPAL

I like the home run as much as the next guy, but give me a guy who can take it the other way in clutch situations.

ricepig

Quote from: soooieman on June 15, 2015, 09:55:03 pm
Potential. Yes. I have the potential to win the lottery too. Let's hope the odds for them are better.

They are tremendously better.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 15, 2015, 09:58:59 pm
I like the home run as much as the next guy, but give me a guy who can take it the other way in clutch situations.

Insert random Caitlyn Jenner joke here....

soooieman

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 15, 2015, 09:58:59 pm
I agree, I just felt like with our lineup we could hit anybody this year. We have a lot of unproven guys coming in next year.  Will be interesting to see how they develop. 

Scott7703

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 15, 2015, 09:54:39 pm
there is no guarantee that either or both of them are returning...could be some really radical changes before next year

I find it highly unlikely that they leave. Can you elaborate on the radical changes?

Knot2brite

Quote from: soooieman on June 15, 2015, 09:58:50 pm
Why would Bonfield leave?
sometimes kids think that a change in scenery will improve their situation and sometimes kids can't handle certain situations and need a different style ...sometimes they just want to....by no means do I know who is staying or going...but those are reasons I have heard from other kids that have left programs

Knot2brite

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 15, 2015, 10:04:10 pm
I find it highly unlikely that they leave. Can you elaborate on the radical changes?
i have no idea who is staying or leaving...but I have learned that a freshman at one school can be a sophomore at another real quick...

ricepig

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 15, 2015, 10:05:27 pm
sometimes kids think that a change in scenery will improve their situation and sometimes kids can't handle certain situations and need a different style ...sometimes they just want to....by no means do I know who is staying or going...but those are reasons I have heard from other kids that have left programs

Oh, that's true in lots of situations.

ricepig

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 15, 2015, 10:07:45 pm
i have no idea who is staying or leaving...but I have learned that a freshman at one school can be a sophomore at another real quick...

Redshirt these days, haha.

Scott7703

I can't disagree with that. That freshman class that had so many highly thought of position players would be pretty much blown up if they both left.

PorkRyan

Anytime you have a large % of scholarship money invested in a player and he doesn't perform, there is always a chance that he may not return. 

SPAL

Knot2brite

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2015, 10:09:51 pm
Redshirt these days, haha.
JUCO's....that is the wave of the future of baseball...go to a 4 year and if you don't like it...JUCO

ricepig

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 15, 2015, 10:12:37 pm
JUCO's....that is the wave of the future of baseball...go to a 4 year and if you don't like it...JUCO

True

hogman64

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 15, 2015, 09:54:39 pm

why would they leave..........because they don't want to start for an SEC school?  they will both be starters next year...

RazorPiggie

Spoon could possibly come back as well.

Knot2brite

Quote from: hogman64 on June 16, 2015, 01:35:05 am
why would they leave..........because they don't want to start for an SEC school?  they will both be starters next year...
at no point am I disagreeing with you ...I am just saying that every year it seems that someone that should be staying leaves...I am not surprised anymore

collegestationhog

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2015, 09:44:27 pm
I will give it a go:

1. Nomura 2B
2. Benninghoff CF
3. Eagan LF
4. Spanberger 1B
5. Bonfield DH
6. Bernal SS
7. McAfee 3B
8. Sam McDonnell RF
9. Pennell C

May be a reach with McAfee at 3B, but Wiggns left, and Wernes appears to be leaving. I could see us moving him over there. Maybe Gassaway and Spanberger play the corners instead.

Weekend starters: Jackson, McKinney, Teague
What about Dominic Taccolini? Stays or goes?

jry04

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 15, 2015, 09:54:59 pm
Why not Eagan at 1st? He showed ridiculous defensive skills there this season...Is it to work someone else into the lineup?
Eagan was put at first because of his bad shoulder. He is having surgery on it this offseason. I think with him having a stronger arm coming into next season, combined with losing our entire OF but having 2 guys who are 1B that can swing the bat, it will force us to put Eagan in the OF. Gassaway and Spanberger do not have many places they can play other than first.

Quote from: collegestationhog on June 16, 2015, 07:51:34 am
What about Dominic Taccolini? Stays or goes?
I just think Taco will be in the bullpen. I could easily see him being in the weekend rotation. I don't have any inside knowledge as to who is staying and going, just my opinion on how the lineup/rotation will look next season.

soooieman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 16, 2015, 07:29:14 am
that would be huge..

jry04

Quote from: soooieman on June 16, 2015, 07:59:59 am
that would be huge..
Would change our lineup drastically, and make it a lot easier on the OF.

TebowHater

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 16, 2015, 07:29:14 am

In his post game interview there may have been a Freudian slip of the tongue that makes it seem unlikely...He goes "they have a great team coming back next year."  I may be reading into it too much, but I felt I could almost tell that he didn't mean to say they yet, and later made a point to say "we."

Waldron_Hog

I got the same vibe from his interview. He also talked about how great it's been to play for this program. He gone IMO

RazorPiggie

Quote from: TebowHater on June 16, 2015, 08:02:30 am
In his post game interview there may have been a Freudian slip of the tongue that makes it seem unlikely...He goes "they have a great team coming back next year."  I may be reading into it too much, but I felt I could almost tell that he didn't mean to say they yet, and later made a point to say "we."

No telling what he is thinking during that interview. Too many emotions going on. Tyler is a smart kid. He wants to play pro ball but realizes that shelf life can be pretty short.

jry04

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 16, 2015, 08:25:00 am
No telling what he is thinking during that interview. Too many emotions going on. Tyler is a smart kid. He wants to play pro ball but realizes that shelf life can be pretty short.
I want him back, but I think the best move for Wernes and Spoon would be to go this year. They aren't improving their stock enough to get into the top 10 rounds. You have a chance for decent signing bonus, although below slot, if you are a top 10 round guy. If you are outside the top 10 you get 5-10k.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jry04 on June 16, 2015, 08:37:22 am
I want him back, but I think the best move for Wernes and Spoon would be to go this year. They aren't improving their stock enough to get into the top 10 rounds. You have a chance for decent signing bonus, although below slot, if you are a top 10 round guy. If you are outside the top 10 you get 5-10k.

What is spoons slot value?

jry04

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 16, 2015, 08:46:51 am
What is spoons slot value?
Only the top 10 round picks have slot value. He was drafted in the 35th, so he doesn't have a slot value. He could get 200k or he could get 10k. It all depends on how the organization that drafts him sees him, and how much leverage he has. If they offer him 20k, then I could see him coming back. If they offer him 80-100k, then I could see him taking it, because next season he will get 10-20k anyways.

SPAL

Scott7703

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 16, 2015, 09:15:18 am
Spoon will not be back.

This confirms what I had heard. Kid had an absolute great season. Hate to see him leave but he has already graduated and the decision more than makes sense.

jry04

Spoon will not be back.
Good decision by him, but selfishly it makes me sad.

onebadrubi

Spoon will not be back.

Well it seems as if the longer he holds out will be the better for his situation.  So we may not know for sure but thanks for the input.  I hope he holds out till his team gives him 100+.  He needs to make sure they understand he doesn't mind coming back and carrying the Hogs to another CWS.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 16, 2015, 07:41:40 am
at no point am I disagreeing with you ...I am just saying that every year it seems that someone that should be staying leaves...I am not surprised anymore

I am never surprised when one of our players leaves. With 11.7 scholarships and the way college baseball operates, it's pretty much the norm everywhere.

ricepig

Quote from: Tom Bennett on June 16, 2015, 11:25:45 am
I am never surprised when one of our players leaves. With 11.7 scholarships and the way college baseball operates, it's pretty much the norm everywhere.

Someone needs to do a study of the number of baseball players that move by their  Jr year, not counting those drafted.

popcornhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 16, 2015, 08:25:00 am

He graduated in May though, right?
WPS

flippinhogmana

Quote from: popcornhog on June 16, 2015, 03:27:20 pm
He graduated in May though, right?

As I recall he was one of the ones who walked.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ucahogfan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 16, 2015, 03:28:48 pm
Along with Joe Serrano.

popcornhog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 16, 2015, 03:28:48 pm

I have a hard time believing that he'd come back after graduating. If he truly thinks he has any chance at having a career in baseball he should probably go ahead and start working on that.
WPS

texas tush hog

Quote from: jry04 on June 16, 2015, 09:01:52 am
Only the top 10 round picks have slot value. He was drafted in the 35th, so he doesn't have a slot value. He could get 200k or he could get 10k. It all depends on how the organization that drafts him sees him, and how much leverage he has. If they offer him 20k, then I could see him coming back. If they offer him 80-100k, then I could see him taking it, because next season he will get 10-20k anyways.

Any senior drafted outside the first ten rounds gets either $1000.00, $5,000.00
or $10,000.00 not $20,000.00. A junior outside the top ten rounds better take what he can negotiate because there is no negotiating as a senior except to get $10,000.00 instead of a lower amount.