Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who will win the CWS?

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, June 09, 2015, 01:03:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Which team will win the CWS?

Arkansas (40-23)   (SEC 17-12)  (vs top 50 = 15-13)
62 (24.4%)
Virginia    (37-22)  (ACC 15-15)  (vs top 50 = 19-13)
2 (0.8%)
Florida     (46-19)   (SEC 19-11)  (vs top 50 = 21-9)      #4 National Seed
74 (29.1%)
Miami      (49-15)   (ACC 22-8)    (vs top 50 = 18-12)    #5 National Seed
1 (0.4%)
LSU         (53-10)   (SEC 21-8)    (vs top 50 = 23-5)      #2 National Seed
96 (37.8%)
TCU         (49-13)   (Big12 18-5)   (vs top 50 = 10-7)     #7 National Seed
0 (0%)
CSF         (39-23)  (Big West 19-5) (vs top 50 = 11-13)
0 (0%)
Vandy      (47-19)   (SEC 20-10)     (vs top 50 = 17-10)
19 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Voting closed: June 14, 2015, 01:03:05 am

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

I can't pick anyone except the Hogs! WPS!

SEC Teams = 4
ACC Teams = 2
Big West Teams = 1
Big 12 Teams = 1

Every team was a #1 seed in their regional except Arkansas at #2 and Virginia at #3.

CWS Bracket with game times:
http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/baseball_d1_2014.pdf

RPI  SOS
  1     6    Florida
  2     8    Miami
  3    46   LSU
  5     5    Vandy
  7    62   TCU
  16  13   Virginia
  19  19   CSF
  20   7    Arkansas

Kevin

Are they going to let us go to Omaha, or are they going to Replace us with a small school that had a higher rpi. Because we know that is the true measure of a team
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

flippinhogmana

Since I cannot vote against my team without there being money on the table (then its going to be logical, not emotional), I will say the hogs.  But I would give Florida, Vandy and LSU in that order the next three as most probable based on (1) sos (2) rpi (3) ability to win in a neutral or road setting. 

I give us the nod based on mainly sentiment, but one is never certain how far teams of destiny go.  Has it been our destiny to make it here, or win it here?  I give the next edge to Florida, but I would not bet heavily against Vandy based on the fact that they went into Champaign and knocked off the national seed there to advance.  Beyond that their measureables are good too.  LSU still hasn't forgotten how to win it all either.

In teams that deserve to get beat:  TCU and LSU for both using a mediocre sos to manipulate rpi to get a national seed.  At least LSU is decent in post season, TCU is lucky, twice over to be here.  Cal Stat/F is a decent team coming out of a fairly weak region.  Virginia is in the same category.  I give us about 60/40 odds getting past Virginia and about opposite of that getting past Florida to the semis on the winners side.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jackflash

I am hoping the Razorbacks wins it. But LSU is so talented if I was putting money on it they would be who I picked

razorbackfan86

Hoping for Hogs. But head tells me either LSU/FLORIDA/VANDY

HVHog

Florida is playing the best right now and beat both LSU and Vandy in the Sec tournament.  Losing Taco and with McKinney struggling will bite us in the end.  If we fall into the losers bracket we won't have the pitching to survive.  I think florida wins the NC.

wholehog92

LSU is the most complete team there speaking from the talent prospective.  That said, baseball is a funny sport.  The most talented team doesn't always win.  The team that plays the best doesn't always win.  No way to predict the fickle nature of the game, so LSU is where I would say the most likely vote goes.

If AR plays its game and takes advantage of the mistakes the other guys make, we have as good a chance as anybody though.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

popcornhog

I'll pick the Hogs, but the smart bet is probably a UF/LSU title series.
WPS

jbell96

Out of bracket 1, I have tough time seeing anyone other than Florida making it to the championship series. In my opinion, UF is the most complete team in the country. Miami has the offense, but pitching is questionable, and the Hogs & UVA just don't have the depth to make it very far. (I hope I'm wrong on the Hogs)

Bracket 2 will be either LSU or Vandy, TCU has had a horseshoe up its rear end the last 2 postseasons, so I don't see them or Fullerton making it past LSU or Vandy. I'm going to take LSU in bracket 2, but I'm not 100% confident in it.

Taking Florida to win the title series since Vandy or LSU will likely end up battering each other just to make it there while Florida should win bracket 1 rather easily.

JonClaudeVanHam

I'm hoping for the Hogs, but thinking it will be a Vandy-Florida Title series with Florida taking it.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Sueie

Quote from: jackflash on June 09, 2015, 08:56:21 am
I am hoping the Razorbacks wins it. But LSU is so talented if I was putting money on it they would be who I picked

I will put a hundred on Florida and you can match it with LSU. If Florida throws the lefty that threw against us in Hoover.  I don't think there is a team in the Series that will beat him.  I HOPE LSU does not win a game up there.

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on June 09, 2015, 09:55:31 am
I will put a hundred on Florida and you can match it with LSU. If Florida throws the lefty that threw against us in Hoover.  I don't think there is a team in the Series that will beat him.  I HOPE LSU does not win a game up there.

Did you watch his first inning against FSU? He gave up 2, and it should have been a lot worse. Just think, if we had our pitchers who would be Srs??

Sueie

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2015, 10:00:08 am
Did you watch his first inning against FSU? He gave up 2, and it should have been a lot worse. Just think, if we had our pitchers who would be Srs??

IF we would have had our pitchers who would have been Seniors. They would have signed for a Happy meal and a bus ticket.  That wasn't going to happen. That is why Killian will not be back (my guess). BUT this year would have been a "LOT OF FUN".

flippinhogmana

One reason I rationally hedge my bet with Florida is that they open with Miami.  Miami/FSU/Florida are all backyard brawls where you often throw out the record books.  If Miami gets by Florida, I dont rate their chances as being as good as Florida's but I would rate it higher than CSF, TCU or Virginia and about equal to Arkansas, They have a better record than us and as good as schedule as ours (SOS), and as such earned their rpi (2) 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on June 09, 2015, 10:07:05 am
IF we would have had our pitchers who would have been Seniors. They would have signed for a Happy meal and a bus ticket.  That wasn't going to happen. That is why Killian will not be back (my guess). BUT this year would have been a "LOT OF FUN".

Yeah, but how many will ever make any money in pro ball, if $50,000 is your goal in life, well........

jry04

Quote from: Sueie on June 09, 2015, 10:07:05 am
We will see. I think Killian probably goes, too. However, if he came back and took the summer off, I think he would be able to work himself back into a top 10 round draft pick. That would guarantee him a minimum a 6 figure signing bonus. Obviously he can get that without going in the top 10 rounds depending on the team, though.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

SPAL

I said Florida before this thing ever started and I will stick with it.

kennymayne

Florida is playing the best in all of college baseball at the moment. They have a ridiculous amount of pitching and plenty of offense. I don't see anyone beating them 2 out of 3 here. I don't trust the back of the LSU pen. If Lange or Poche get into trouble, they can be beaten by a good team. And their offense hasn't been as explosive in the postseason.

I'm going with Florida over Vandy in the title series.

BroyledNutts

Florida is in high gear right now...Vandy has enough to win their side of the bracket.

Florida over Vandy in 3.

HogFansReunited

I had to vote for LSU, they are the most complete team in the field. This is baseball though and anything can happen. The hogs honestly shouldn't have made it this far and anything from here on out is a bonus.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Kevin

lsu-they are an older team 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2015, 10:24:55 am
Yeah, but how many will ever make any money in pro ball, if $50,000 is your goal in life, well........

wow

JaketheSnake

It would be quite amazing for an All-SEC winners bracket in round 2

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on June 09, 2015, 12:09:51 pm
wow

It was a general statement about all pro baseball athletes, you disagree?

ThisTeetsTaken

Can't see anyone outlasting Florida but yea, the OmaHogs will win it all......
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bphi11ips

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 09, 2015, 09:52:52 am
I'm hoping for the Hogs, but thinking it will be a Vandy-Florida Title series with Florida taking it.

Kind of with you on this.  Hogs need to beat Virginia, get 6 or 7 good innings from McKinney, and Benintendi needs to get back on a roll for us to have a chance of making the championship series.  It could happen, but Florida is strong.

Vandy and LSU didn't play this year.  Vandy had a midseason slump but are playing great baseball now and probably have the deepest pitching staff in the CWS. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Sueie

Quote from: jry04 on June 09, 2015, 10:31:37 am
We will see. I think Killian probably goes, too. However, if he came back and took the summer off, I think he would be able to work himself back into a top 10 round draft pick. That would guarantee him a minimum a 6 figure signing bonus. Obviously he can get that without going in the top 10 rounds depending on the team, though.

I think you can go in the top 10 rounds and NOT get 6 figures. Especially if you are a Senior with no bargaining power.  Not sure though I would look at last years signing bonuses though before I came back for a Senior year.

Sueie

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2015, 12:26:38 pm
It was a general statement about all pro baseball athletes, you disagree?

Yeah I would agree IF it was 50,000.  But as a Senior it would probably not even be that much.

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on June 09, 2015, 12:51:27 pm
Yeah I would agree IF it was 50,000.  But as a Senior it would probably not even be that much.

You stated the other day about some Jr's getting $50,000 compared to $5000 for a SR, my point was if that's the difference, comeback, finish college and then try it. I know 4 different guys that played minor league ball, they said it was ok, but it just kept them from their real job 2-4 years. They said the bonus baby's got all the attention and pampering, and they saw 10 guys with better stuff, speed, or power.

Kevin

my question is this? after the signing bonus, what is the average monthly salary for a minor leaguer?

Tusks

Hogs will have to beat VA, and then FL.  I can see Miami and FL playing that last elimination game and Miami winning....so VA, FL, UM and then 2 out of 3 with LSU.

I know FL is playing well but the hogs are the last team to beat them so it is possible.  I think the hogs can out hit UM in a slugfest.

2 out of 3 against LSU, I just don't feel good about that one.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Sueie

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2015, 01:38:09 pm
You stated the other day about some Jr's getting $50,000 compared to $5000 for a SR, my point was if that's the difference, comeback, finish college and then try it. I know 4 different guys that played minor league ball, they said it was ok, but it just kept them from their real job 2-4 years. They said the bonus baby's got all the attention and pampering, and they saw 10 guys with better stuff, speed, or power.

NO!!  The thing to do is. Take the 50,000 if you flop out in pro ball come back and get your education FULLY PAID FOR.  Don't BLOW 45,000 to get to play college ball for one more year.  That was the point I was trying to make.

dbhog

Quote from: Kevin on June 09, 2015, 01:58:22 pm
my question is this? after the signing bonus, what is the average monthly salary for a minor leaguer?

About $1,000 - $1,500 per month.

Kevin

Quote from: dbhog on June 09, 2015, 03:11:02 pm
About $1,000 - $1,500 per month.

so depending on expenses, some players are almost paying to play in the minors

FraggleHog

Not a real survey without the Frito Pie option  8) In all honesty, though... I think Florida.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on June 09, 2015, 03:00:08 pm
NO!!  The thing to do is. Take the 50,000 if you flop out in pro ball come back and get your education FULLY PAID FOR.  Don't BLOW 45,000 to get to play college ball for one more year.  That was the point I was trying to make.

So, they are going to only give you $50,000 and pay for your education. I'd like to see the actual # of contracts this is actually written in. I know you hear about it on the bigger ones, I'd like to see how many actually have it in rounds 10 and below.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 09, 2015, 07:43:05 am
Since I cannot vote against my team without there being money on the table (then its going to be logical, not emotional), I will say the hogs.  But I would give Florida, Vandy and LSU in that order the next three as most probable based on (1) sos (2) rpi (3) ability to win in a neutral or road setting. 

I give us the nod based on mainly sentiment, but one is never certain how far teams of destiny go.  Has it been our destiny to make it here, or win it here?  I give the next edge to Florida, but I would not bet heavily against Vandy based on the fact that they went into Champaign and knocked off the national seed there to advance.  Beyond that their measureables are good too.  LSU still hasn't forgotten how to win it all either.

In teams that deserve to get beat:  TCU and LSU for both using a mediocre sos to manipulate rpi to get a national seed.  At least LSU is decent in post season, TCU is lucky, twice over to be here.  Cal Stat/F is a decent team coming out of a fairly weak region.  Virginia is in the same category.  I give us about 60/40 odds getting past Virginia and about opposite of that getting past Florida to the semis on the winners side.
I had to pick our boys also and did so not really feeling to overly unsure about it. The loss of Teague and Tacco hurts, but this team seems to thrive on adversity so even if I could change my pick, I wouldn't.

For some reason, I've been having flashbacks of the 78 Orange Bowl. Wonder who our Roland Sales will be?

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Last chance to get your vote in and also the Hogville Baseball Pick-ems contest will close before first pitch. Baseball Pick-ems =   http://www.hogville.net/pickem-bsb.php

This poll shows only 3 members picked a team outside the SEC with TCU and CSF receiving no votes.

I'm a little, but not too much surprised that Vandy only received 7% (16) of the votes.
LSU has about 40% of the vote with Arkansas and Florida receiving about one quarter of the votes.

GO HOGS!                                 

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Ouch. We (Hogville as a whole) did not do very well in this poll.  ;D