Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Ash to Rutgers

Started by Nuttcracker, Sweet!, December 05, 2015, 11:43:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

according to coaching search, Chris Ash to Rutgers:

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chris-Ash-to-be-named-Rutgers-head-coach

where was this "Rugby-style tackling in 2013?
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

King Kong

jackflash

I would hope Rutgers could do better

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jgphillips3

RazorRed26

Did they look at Greg Schiano at all?

Iwastherein1969

Ash is where he needs to be...the SEC absolutely overwhelmed him...in no way was he prepared for what was about to hit him right between the eyes
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on December 05, 2015, 11:43:48 am
according to coaching search, Chris Ash to Rutgers:

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chris-Ash-to-be-named-Rutgers-head-coach

where was this "Rugby-style tackling in 2013?

What? Not Brent Venables? Disaster. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 05, 2015, 12:50:38 pm
What? Not Brent Venables? Disaster. ;)

Wouldn't take that. I heard he is next in line to take over bill belichick

;)

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 05, 2015, 12:08:45 pm
Ash is where he needs to be...the SEC absolutely overwhelmed him...in no way was he prepared for what was about to hit him right between the eyes

Talent makes many coaches look like geniuses.  He was great at tOSU playing in the Big10.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

King Kong

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 05, 2015, 12:59:36 pm
Talent makes many coaches look like geniuses.  He was great at tOSU playing in the Big10.

He wasn't calling plays at OSU

FBREW000

Rutgers.. from the AD all the way down is a dumpster fire right now.  Bleeding $$ and terribly ran!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Sed76

Can we get these guys back on the schedule? Makes me sick we lost to Rutgers two freaking years in a row.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 05, 2015, 01:02:37 pm
I'm sure he wasn't.  So?

He was also the co DC at Ohio St., Luke Fickell's helper.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on December 05, 2015, 01:14:43 pm
He was also the co DC at Ohio St., Luke Fickell's helper.

"Assistant Defensive Coordinator?"

"No, assistant TO the defensive coordinator."
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

Quote from: Three and Snout on December 05, 2015, 11:50:01 am
The video hadn't been released yet. http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Pete-Carrolls-tackling-video-changed-everything-for-Ohio-State

I saw that video a few weeks ago and have been wondering if we'll start tackling that way.  I watched for it during our last few games, and while we didn't seem to be doing it, I think it would have helped with all our missed tackles.  I never played much football myself, but I thought that was how they taught tackling and was surprised to learn that it's a new technique.  You used to always hear announcers speak of "wrapping up the legs", but I guess that wasn't considered proper, until now?

I wonder how much rugby tackling played into Ohio State dominating Alabama last year?  IIRC, they tackled them very well.  Maybe it explains why Ash is suddenly having success, after struggling here?  Considering we have connections to Ash and Carroll, maybe we should check into it?

hog.goblin

Quote from: FBREW000 on December 05, 2015, 01:00:32 pm
Rutgers.. from the AD all the way down is a dumpster fire right now.  Bleeding $$ and terribly ran!

Seems like a rash decision you made on the AD.  I think he'll turn things around.

King Kong

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 05, 2015, 01:02:37 pm
I'm sure he wasn't.  So?

So,  it's impossible to tell how much better he was at OSU. As he was the DC there in title only

Hoggish1

ZERO

RIP Rutgers football. Not that it was anything to brag about beforehand.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

LZH

I don't think there's any question why our defense got better after Ash left and Smith was hired.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 05, 2015, 12:08:45 pm
I couldn't have said it better. Dude was lost.

Hogarusa

Ash had 1 year at Arkansas during a disaster year and you act like he could never possibly succeed again.  Simpletons
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Dr. Starcs

Bubba's Bruisers

greenie

IMHO, not the best hire.  I don't think he has the personality to be a head coach, not to mention recruit.  I just don't get this hire, but good luck to him.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: King Kong on December 05, 2015, 01:25:05 pm
So,  it's impossible to tell how much better he was at OSU. As he was the DC there in title only

Point being is he ran back to the talent in a conference with little competition.  Nothing about his resume suggests HC material.  maybe I'm missing something,

Hogarusa

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 05, 2015, 04:48:43 pm
Point being is he ran back to the talent in a conference with little competition.  Nothing about his resume suggests HC material.  maybe I'm missing something,

Little competition? Its like people in Hogville only watch SEC football.  how do you not notice how far off the SEC was this year
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 05, 2015, 05:31:43 pm
Little competition? Its like people in Hogville only watch SEC football.  how do you not notice how far off the SEC was this year

I'm suggesting that tOSU hasn't had much competition.  They've generally been able to out talent everyone while he's been there.  Nobody in the Big10 really comes close to their overall talent...at least not in the last few years.  Ain't so easy at UA. 

The SEC is absolutely down.  Like last year.  Primarily due to poor QB play.  You give Bama just a competent QB, then nobody beats them.  As it stands now, they won't win the NC this season.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 05, 2015, 04:40:51 pm
Ash had 1 year at Arkansas during a disaster year and you act like he could never possibly succeed again.  Simpletons
1 year too many. One year for everyone including Coach B to determine it ain't gonna work.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 05, 2015, 04:48:43 pm
Uh, the Big 10 has 3 of the top 6 teams in the playoff rankings.  They are top heavy for sure but there is some darn good teams in that league.   The East has Ohio st, Mich st and michigan.  West is weak except for Iowa. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 05, 2015, 08:33:49 pm
Uh, the Big 10 has 3 of the top 6 teams in the playoff rankings.  They are top heavy for sure but there is some darn good teams in that league.   The East has Ohio st, Mich st and michigan.  West is weak except for Iowa. 

And one again, I'm not talking about this year.  I'm talking about the last 5.  Of course, just realized he wasn't at t OSU before.  Thought he was.

presidenthog

December 06, 2015, 02:20:11 am #37 Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:32:28 am by presidenthog
Quote from: redeye on December 05, 2015, 01:18:36 pm
I saw that video a few weeks ago and have been wondering if we'll start tackling that way.  I watched for it during our last few games, and while we didn't seem to be doing it, I think it would have helped with all our missed tackles.  I never played much football myself, but I thought that was how they taught tackling and was surprised to learn that it's a new technique.  You used to always hear announcers speak of "wrapping up the legs", but I guess that wasn't considered proper, until now?

I wonder how much rugby tackling played into Ohio State dominating Alabama last year?  IIRC, they tackled them very well.  Maybe it explains why Ash is suddenly having success, after struggling here?  Considering we have connections to Ash and Carroll, maybe we should check into it?

now look we have a systematic approach  and honestly I'm not sure that it is far off from rugby style tackling. we just go further into the steps if the rugby style isn't available.

The first thing we do is "bite the ball: which means that we are trying to put our facemask into the ball (which is an attempt at causing a turnover, but also would mean we would be shoulder tackling. because the ball when being held is at the side of the body/chest, which means our players shoulder would be striking across the chest, and we are taking the head out of the equation)

step 2 "wrap the waist or hip" if biting the ball isn't an option we wrap the waist, which also is apart of the rugby style tackling and it means we aren't using our head either.

3rd if option 1 or 2 isn't feasible we  "wrap and roll" where we try wrapping a hand around the ankle of the player while rolling (somersault/barrel roll) to continue our momentum safely, and give us the least likely chance of causing an injuring while diving.

I actually thought about the exact same thing you said. after I thought about our approach I realized it is already the same thing, but called different things. also it is a much more detailed and systematic approach.

I hope this helps answer your question.

SPAL

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 05, 2015, 05:58:04 pm
I'm suggesting that tOSU hasn't had much competition.  They've generally been able to out talent everyone while he's been there.  Nobody in the Big10 really comes close to their overall talent...at least not in the last few years.  Ain't so easy at UA. 

The SEC is absolutely down.  Like last year.  Primarily due to poor QB play.  You give Bama just a competent QB, then nobody beats them.  As it stands now, they won't win the NC this season.
I think Coker is the reason they will win it all.

Cure

Must've been a terrible coach.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

HawgTide

Quote from: Cure on December 06, 2015, 10:18:30 am
Must've been a terrible coach.

I'm sure the Rutgers fans are super excited

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Wildhog on December 05, 2015, 01:17:44 pm
"Assistant Defensive Coordinator?"

"No, assistant TO the defensive coordinator."

+1 for the Office reference, makes me laugh everytime I think about that one. I have actually thought about using that at work for a promotion, just not sure if HR would go for it, they have to mess up everything.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PorkRinds

I don't think Ash was as bad as many make him out to be.  Think about this.  Robb Smith had a great defense last season, but this season it looked a lot like what Ash put on the field.  Could it be that Ash wasn't nearly as bad as our talent/depth deficit made him look?  OSU and Rutgers seem to believe so.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

I miss Rutgers al.  He was a ray of Yankee sunshine.