Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN suggesting Enos...

Started by Trystran, December 08, 2016, 12:56:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Trystran

ESPN suggesting Enos as a possible candidate to replace Tuberville at Cincinnati. Can't read full article due to "insider." Not really a big rumor or anything, but it shows people are taking notice. He is on the radar. Hope we hang on to him.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/8

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

If Enos goes elsewhere, Lunney will become OC
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HF#1

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 08, 2016, 01:05:16 pm
If Enos goes elsewhere, Lunney will become OC

That is what I think too. Which I wouldn't be completely opposed to.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogHomer

Quote from: HF#1 on December 08, 2016, 01:06:42 pm
That is what I think too. Which I wouldn't be completely opposed to.
I would. That would be a huge step down. I'd rather hire someone outside of the program that's been a OC before or even another former head coach. (If we can get lucky again)

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HogHomer on December 08, 2016, 01:11:44 pm
I would. That would be a huge step down. I'd rather hire someone outside of the program that's been a OC before or even another former head coach. (If we can get lucky again)
Bielema was talking about Lunney not too long ago saying he was beyond ready to become an OC.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Trystran

Doubt Lunney gets bumped to OC, but you never know. Gut feeling though tells me if one assistant goes, dominoes will start to fall. The one thing that I think is incredibly underrated is Enos' job with the QBs. Losing him would be as hard of a hit as we could take this off-season.

HF#1

Quote from: HogHomer on December 08, 2016, 01:11:44 pm

Curious what your issue with Lunny is?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HF#1 on December 08, 2016, 01:30:40 pm
It's obvious, isn't it?  He's not a "name".  Doesn't matter if he can coach or not.  Hogville demands names.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Danny J

I would be fine with Barry...played in big games in HS and College...son of a coach...great recruiter(recently named one of the best in the nation I believe)...is 100% Arkansas...has done a great job coaching TE's...

What's not to like?

al_pigcino

I'd love to see Major Applewhite here if we are dreaming.  Personally I think Enos is a perfect fit here and would rather him get a half million dollar bump to stay.........:)

Little Lady Back

I really hope that Enos doesn't leave. He has done a great job as OC and working with the quarterbacks.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Exit Pursued by a Boar

I think Enos stays one more year at least. Regardless, I don't see how stepping down from a HC job at a MAC school only to take one at an AAC school a couple of years later helps him that much.  I know Lane Kiffin is going to the AAC (which surprises me), but I see Houston as eventually getting into the Big 12, if that conference stays afloat.  Cincinnati is always going to be outside the P5.

EFBAB

Trystran

I don't have an issue with Lunney. It's just hard for me to see CBB making that move, especially with the issues on the defensive side of the ball. The offense has to carry so much right now that if no staff changes happen on D side, hard to see CBB going with someone who could be considered "unproven" or a "wildcard." I don't think anyone can argue that the next season or 2 will determine a lot, and that's an extra chance to take.

pa_rob424

My guess is that Luke Fickell will be on his way to  Cincinnati instead of Enos 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 08, 2016, 01:38:21 pm
It's obvious, isn't it?  He's not a "name".  Doesn't matter if he can coach or not.  Hogville demands names.

Yeah Lunney's track record is one that screams he should be the OC and no reason to look anywhere else.  I don't get why people around here are so quick to blast someone who says something that is kind of obvious. 

While Lunney may make a great OC one day, it's not disrespectful to be indifferent about him stepping in after Enos departs. 

go hogues

Quote from: Trystran on December 08, 2016, 01:28:48 pm
Losing him would be as hard of a hit as we could take this off-season.
Which means it will happen.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The_Iceman

There are not many good OCs that run the pro style Bret likes anymore. Promoting Lunney would avoid any transition issues with style and play calling.

Lunney was a co-OC at San Jose St, coached QBs at Tulsa, and was OC and QB coach at Bentonville.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HF#1 on December 08, 2016, 01:03:45 pm
That's gonna suck

I have an idea. Let's have an alltime worst, pray-never-again-that-poor run defense. Have our offense be the only thing that carried us to a winning record. Then lose our offensive coordinator.
[CENSORED]!

Arkansas Fan

What other bad news can we get? Robb Smith still being our DC?

Atlhogfan1

Since we are heading down the path of our offense and OC if Enos leaves: Listened to Herbstreit on a local show this morning as he is in town for the awards thing.  He talked about what value a zone read type qb who can be a true run threat is.  It started as an answer to how Washington could stay with Bama and Herbstreit talking about Wash's qb having to drop back if they can't run the ball effectively.  Just found it interesting now that someone like Herbstreit would just come out and say not having that type of qb is a handicap in current college football.  To add to it, he was also talking about Chaney and the UGa offense as well and Eason.  Didn't say it but I kind of got the sense he didn't care for UGa going pro style offense even with someone as good as Eason could be. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

Lunney knows what it feels like to beat Alabama on the Tide's home field. Not sure if anyone else on the Razoback sideline knows anything about accomplishing that feat...

Arkansas has had the world's worst habit of letting their best homegrown coaches go elsewhere.  May as well continue the pattern with Lunney I guess.  Once stupid always stupid.

HogHomer

Quote from: HF#1 on December 08, 2016, 01:30:40 pm
I have no problem with Lunney I think he is a great coach and one of our best recruiters. I would just rather have someone who has more experience calling plays in D1 ball.

elksnort

How does anyone know or suspect that Lunney would not do a very good job.
Unless you have some inside knowledge how would you know?
Personally knowing what I do know or suspect, Lunney is a winner.

BigBrandonAllenFan

The best thing about Lunney is, he will stay here.

HogHomer

Every coach is a winner until they prove they aren't. Like I said he is a great coach. But when you go from a former HC calling plays to someone who hasn't been the lone OC in D1 football will cause a transition headache. Most games Enos would call a great game but with Lunney I can't say he would because I don't know. I just would want someone with more experience and success as a D1 OC.

King Kong

Don't think they will get down to Enos. If they do he takes it.

I agree Lunney would be a candidate. I would also think Andy Ludwig from Vandy would also be a strong candidate

HF#1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2016, 02:52:21 pm
I have an idea. Let's have an alltime worst, pray-never-again-that-poor run defense. Have our offense be the only thing that carried us to a winning record. Then lose our offensive coordinator.

Sounds like success to me.

lilRockNDubb

Co-Oc/TE Lunney
Co-Oc/QB....Wait for it...

Kevin Kelly

hamsam

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on December 08, 2016, 03:39:13 pm
Co-Oc/TE Lunney
Co-Oc/QB....Wait for it...

Kevin Kelly

Now it's just gotten ridiculous...

KK's style meshed with a pro-style  ::)
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: hamsam on December 08, 2016, 03:50:53 pm
Now it's just gotten ridiculous...

What?  Is that too High School??

But I'm just kidding..

hamsam

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on December 08, 2016, 03:53:37 pm
What?  Is that too High School??

But I'm just kidding..

Well I bought it, hook, line and sinker!  :)
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Dillon

We need to keep Enos at all costs. Thjs offense is a thing of beauty. He's worth his weight in gold just for the QB coaching our guys are receiving.

FutureMan

Please God, no.  Do not let Enos leave.  He has been the brightest spot for this team the last two years.  His value to the Razorbacks should not be underestimated.  It won't be a simple "plug-and-play" to replace him.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Hogwild

The last thing we need is to have to hire a new OC, the same year as LSU and Alabama.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on December 08, 2016, 04:49:59 pm
The last thing we need is to have to hire a new OC, the same year as LSU and Alabama.

Orgeron says he's looking for a spread OC, and Saban will probably stick with the same philosophy, so I don't think we'd be looking at the same guys.

NoogaHog

I love the work that CDE is doing on the Hill, and I hope he is around a long time, Possibly even as HC when CBB moves on for whatever reason. However I hope we can pull this thread back up next year or the next if he has the type of year that Coach Robb Smith has had. How many of you guys saying that losing CDE would be devastating to our program will have the torches and pitchforks out if our offense goes south after AA leaves? We are fickle beings.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

LZH

Quote from: NoogaHog on December 08, 2016, 05:09:17 pm
I love the work that CDE is doing on the Hill, and I hope he is around a long time, Possibly even as HC when CBB moves on for whatever reason. However I hope we can pull this thread back up next year or the next if he has the type of year that Coach Robb Smith has had. How many of you guys saying that losing CDE would be devastating to our program will have the torches and pitchforks out if our offense goes south after AA leaves? We are fickle beings.

He'll have another QB ready.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 08, 2016, 01:38:21 pm

Lunney is a big name in Arkansas coaching circles.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

jgphillips3

Pay Enos a million if you need to.  He turned BA from a clutch time loser into a clutch time winner and made AA, who couldn't even get on the field against Missouri when his brother could barely stand, into one of the best QB's in the SEC this year.  If we lost Enos and kept Robb Smith...nevermind...that's too horrible to even ponder.

The Kig

Would be shocked to see him leave for Cinci. Really think he came here to position himself for a bigger gig than that.  He is getting good pub and should be in a good spot next year. 

Texas/LSU probably were too big/too early this year, but there should be options next year.   
Poker Porker

Redhogs

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2016, 03:06:58 pm
Since we are heading down the path of our offense and OC if Enos leaves: Listened to Herbstreit on a local show this morning as he is in town for the awards thing.  He talked about what value a zone read type qb who can be a true run threat is.  It started as an answer to how Washington could stay with Bama and Herbstreit talking about Wash's qb having to drop back if they can't run the ball effectively.  Just found it interesting now that someone like Herbstreit would just come out and say not having that type of qb is a handicap in current college football.  To add to it, he was also talking about Chaney and the UGa offense as well and Eason.  Didn't say it but I kind of got the sense he didn't care for UGa going pro style offense even with someone as good as Eason could be.
Do we really need Herbie to tell us this? It's obvious every Sat.  Look what it does to us.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2016, 05:03:52 pm
Orgeron says he's looking for a spread OC, and Saban will probably stick with the same philosophy, so I don't think we'd be looking at the same guys.

Plus Saban already has his OC on campus... Sarkisian

TheEnemy

I like Lunney.....but I would rather see someone with more experience as a play caller in Division I football.

If we would go with Lunney I would hope we would bring someone in also to help and run Co-OCs.

ricepig

widespreadsooie

younghog

December 08, 2016, 08:38:46 pm #47 Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:42:05 am by younghog
Quote from: al_pigcino on December 08, 2016, 01:54:51 pm
I'd love to see Major Applewhite here if we are dreaming.  Personally I think Enos is a perfect fit here and would rather him get a half million dollar bump to stay.........:)

Applewhite is a joke.. I believe Enos will be here till we win a NC
GO HOGS

26.2Hog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 08, 2016, 05:16:49 pm
Pay Enos a million if you need to. 

Enos should be paid at least a million, regardless.  But that wouldn't be enough to keep him if Cincinnati wants him.  Their offer will be well over twice that much.

RedRock

Would hate to lose Enos but his hands are tied as long as our D continues to give up 500 a game.