Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only 44 teams

Started by hogsanity, December 08, 2016, 12:15:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Only 44 teams have ever been ranked #1 in the AP poll since it's inception, and that includes 1 team, Cornell, that is no longer D1. Arkansas has been ranked # for exactly one week.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

holeinthewall

What week was that?

You have a link or the stats page for all this?

Wisco Pig

Ha, was just looking at this myself.   Arkansas is #21 in the all-time aggregate AP poll.  Here's the link:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

And I have the same question.   In what week was Arkansas #1?

davril98

So for all the "greatness" in the 60's only 1 week as #1?  Wow.

davril98

It was in 1965 but not sure what week.

Wisco Pig

Arkansas was ranked #1 on October 23, 1965, when it beat North Texas State in Little Rock, 55-20.

davril98

Interesting in 1966 Arkansas was 8-2 and didn't play in a bowl game.

hogsanity

It was the week of OCt 19, and the Hogs played as #1 on Oct 23rd

October 23: The #1 Arkansas Razorbacks played North Texas State at Little Rock, winning 55-20. #2 Michigan State won 14-10 at Purdue and #3 Nebraska beat Colorado 38-13. The #4 USC Trojans fell to #7 Notre Dame at South Bend, 28-7. #5 Texas lost its second straight game, with Rice winning 20-17. After its 4-0 start, the Longhorns would finish the season 6-4-0. In the next poll, Michigan State received fewer 1st place votes than Arkansas, but had 7 more points overall, 473-466, while Nebraska was third. The three teams were the last to remain unbeaten, all with 6-0-0 records. Notre Dame was fourth, and LSU, 5-1-0 after beating South Carolina 21-7, rose from ninth to fifth.

October 30 #1 Michigan State overwhelmed Northwestern 49-7 at home in East Lansing. Playing in Little Rock, #2 Arkansas shut out Texas A & M 31-0. #3 Nebraska won a close one, 16-14, at Missouri and #4 Notre Dame won 29-3 over Navy. The #5 LSU Tigers were shut out at home by Mississippi, 23-0. Meanwhile, #10 Alabama beat Mississippi State at Jackson, Miss., 10-7 to take LSU's place at #5. The Top 4 stayed the same: 1.Michigan State 2.Arkansas 3.Nebraska 4.Notre Dame 5.Alabama.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: davril98 on December 08, 2016, 12:34:02 pm
Interesting in 1966 Arkansas was 8-2 and didn't play in a bowl game.

The players voted not to go to a bowl after the season ending loss to Texas Tech. A player, Claude Smithey, had died that week. It was a kinder gentler time and players always voted on bowls.

It was also year of the pooch kick affair.

davril98

Nice bit of history there.  Did not know that.

LZH

I thought we began the 1978 season as the number one team.

Randy Cavender

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 08, 2016, 12:39:50 pm
The players voted not to go to a bowl after the season ending loss to Texas Tech. A player, Claude Smithey, had died that week. It was a kinder gentler time and players always voted on bowls.

Quote from: davril98 on December 08, 2016, 12:41:14 pm

What was the pooch kick affair?

hogman99

Quote from: LZH on December 08, 2016, 04:35:19 pm
I thought we began the 1978 season as the number one team.

In the Sports Illustrated Poll

LZH

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: davril98 on December 08, 2016, 12:30:57 pm
It was in 1965 but not sure what week.

1965 in the poll following Arkansas' 27-24 upset of #1 Texas.  I believe Michigan State outvoted Arkansas the following week although the Hogs would continue to win until they were upset by LSU in the Cotton Bowl.  MSU and Bama both lost on 1/1/1966 as well so had Arkansas beat LSU they would have finish #1 for the year.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 08, 2016, 12:39:50 pm

That was the first of many unintentional curses I have put on the Hogs.  You see, that was my first game - ever - to see Arkansas play in person.  The loss to Tech that day was voted the "upset of the year" for 1966 my the AP (or some similar media outlet).  All we had to do was win that game and we'd have been in our third straight Cotton Bowl with yet another SWC Championship, and ranked in the Top 5.

And, by the way, the year after the Big Shootout - 1970 - we stayed home with a 9-2 record after Texas stomped us in the rematch.  In those days, there weren't too many Bowls (unlike today!) and they all maneuvered to get teams a week or two before the season ended.  With us playing Texas in late December, the winner was assured the Cotton Bowl, and the loser . . . well, we had options but for a team that was ranked in the top 5 going into the finale with top ranked Texas, a Liberty Bowl trip was just something we didn't want.

It's unthinkable these days for a top 10 team to stay at home, but it wasn't back then.  Also, the Big 10 had an archeic rule that (a) teams could not participate in the Rose Bowl in back to back seasons; and (b) they could not play in any Bowl BUT the Rose - so for years, only the Champion went to the Rose Bowl, and only if they had not been the year before.  Crazy!  But I remember those times well.

Remember Ohio State only playing 9 games per season for many years under Woody Hayes because they didn't want to take the players away from studies that much.

Or when ND wouldn't go Bowling just didn't do the Bowl thing.

hogfanny

To those asking what is the pooch kick affair: I could be wrong but I believe the ultra conservative Frank Broyles quick punted on third down attempting to pin the oponent deep in their own territory and I believe it backfired and we lost the game. I am suceptable to correction on this but nobody else seemingly replied.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: holeinthewall on December 08, 2016, 12:17:53 pm
What week was that?

You have a link or the stats page for all this?
1978, 1st week...........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

holeinthewall

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 08, 2016, 12:21:53 pm
Ha, was just looking at this myself.   Arkansas is #21 in the all-time aggregate AP poll.  Here's the link:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

And I have the same question.   In what week was Arkansas #1?
Can't really argue with the aggregate there.  #21 isn't bad.  I would say that's probably about where our program falls nationally compared to other programs, and where we should expect our average ranking to be.  It doesn't help that we play many of the programs listed ahead of us on a yearly basis.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DiamondHogFan

And this...Nick Saban needs to go elsewhere...

"Poll point: From Nov. 3, 1980-Oct. 26, 2008, Alabama was only ranked No. 1 once _ the final poll of the 1992 season. The Tide has been top-ranked 43 times since under coach Nick Saban."

hogsanity

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2016, 09:31:34 am
well....

some of you just can't read. The OP was about the AP poll. Only 1 week in the history that poll have the Hogs been ranked #1. And that was not even the point, the point was that in the history of that poll only 44 teams ( 1 of which is not even D1 anymore ) have been ranked # 1.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: hogfanny on December 08, 2016, 08:56:37 pm
To those asking what is the pooch kick affair: I could be wrong but I believe the ultra conservative Frank Broyles quick punted on third down attempting to pin the oponent deep in their own territory and I believe it backfired and we lost the game. I am suceptable to correction on this but nobody else seemingly replied.

It was the Baylor game in 1966 - played in Fayetteville.  We attempted a pooch kick on third down from arouind their 35 or 40, but it backfired when the center snapped the ball over the punter's head and Baylor recovered on our end of the field.  They went on to score the only TD in a shocking 7-0 loss.

LZH

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 10, 2016, 01:31:16 pm
It was the Baylor game in 1966 - played in Fayetteville.  We attempted a pooch kick on third down from arouind their 35 or 40, but it backfired when the center snapped the ball over the punter's head and Baylor recovered on our end of the field.  They went on to score the only TD in a shocking 7-0 loss.

After I graduated, my nephew took over the QB position. In the state semis, we had the late lead, and a 4th and long inside our own 20. Instead of punting, coach tells my nephew to just run backwards into the endzone...take the safety...kill the clock.

Problem was, the other team caught him at the two yard line, called time out, scored on the first play, and won the game.

Only in Arkansas.

razorbacker3

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 10, 2016, 01:31:16 pm
There was light rain during the game. I was there at the age of 11. The first time I ever saw the hogs lose live. I had been to many games by then.  Don't think Jesus would have wept, but I did.

HiggiePiggy

December 10, 2016, 09:21:45 pm #28 Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 09:36:19 pm by HiggiePiggy
Nt
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GTOWNHOG

The Razorbacks have 30 top-three appearances, but only one (Nov. 20, 2011) since 1978.     

And THAT, my fellow Razorbacks, is HOG FOOTBALL!!!   We have been ranked in the Associated Press top 3 only ONCE in the last 38 years.   :-[ :razorback:
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Ben

Number of Weeks being #1 in the AP poll by current SEC Team:
SEC West
Alabama:72
Auburn: 6
LSU: 27
Ole Miss: 6
Miss State: 4
Texas A&M: 5
Arkansas: 1

SEC East
Florida: 32
Georgia: 10
Tennessee: 17
Missouri: 2
Kentucky/Vandy/Scar: 0

http://collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/research/most-games-played-as-ap-number-1.cfm#.WE48zYWcFPY

So Arkansas has only been ranked #1 longer than 3 current SEC teams.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2016, 12:34:21 pm

October 23: The #1 Arkansas Razorbacks played North Texas State at Little Rock, winning 55-20. #2 Michigan State won 14-10 at Purdue and #3 Nebraska beat Colorado 38-13. The #4 USC Trojans fell to #7 Notre Dame at South Bend, 28-7. #5 Texas lost its second straight game, with Rice winning 20-17. After its 4-0 start, the Longhorns would finish the season 6-4-0. In the next poll, Michigan State received fewer 1st place votes than Arkansas, but had 7 more points overall, 473-466, while Nebraska was third. The three teams were the last to remain unbeaten, all with 6-0-0 records. Notre Dame was fourth, and LSU, 5-1-0 after beating South Carolina 21-7, rose from ninth to fifth.

October 30 #1 Michigan State overwhelmed Northwestern 49-7 at home in East Lansing. Playing in Little Rock, #2 Arkansas shut out Texas A & M 31-0. #3 Nebraska won a close one, 16-14, at Missouri and #4 Notre Dame won 29-3 over Navy. The #5 LSU Tigers were shut out at home by Mississippi, 23-0. Meanwhile, #10 Alabama beat Mississippi State at Jackson, Miss., 10-7 to take LSU's place at #5. The Top 4 stayed the same: 1.Michigan State 2.Arkansas 3.Nebraska 4.Notre Dame 5.Alabama.

Snubbed. Still can't believe this. The media bias against Arkansas is really getting out of hand.

DeltaBoy

Good history and memories.  :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2016, 12:34:21 pm

What just one minute! You mean there was actually a time when Alabama wasn't ranked #1 ??? :o Just kidding of course.