Paul Rhoads - DB
25 (6.6%)
Keep the staff intact
30 (8%)
Let them eat Frito Pie
65 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 377

PorkSoda

So what does hogville think?  Does Smith survive by offering up a sacrificial assistant or does he walk the plank? 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rzrbackramsfan

There should be an option for whatever Bielema wants to do I'm fine with.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 07, 2016, 10:21:40 pm

That being said, segrest is pretty tempting.

PorkSoda

December 07, 2016, 10:23:40 pm #3 Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:29:58 am by PorkSoda
If you don't have an opinion, that is what the frito pie option is for.

as far as CBBs opinion, technically I didnt ask what bielema thinks.  I asked what hogville thinks.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

my3boneheads

It depends. If they go 3-4 than the staff stays. If they use 4-3 I think some minor changes will be made.

hawg IQ

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2016, 01:17:27 pm
So what does hogville think?  Does Smith survive by offering up a sacrificial assistant or does he walk the plank? 

IMO it was his scheme that was as bad as anything. How many times did you see other teams make first down on third and long, sometimes running for a first down.
   Arkansas had a decent offense, but other teams blitzed us into mistakes or failure to run designed plays.

Really, when you look at Smith defenses these past two years, simply horrible.  Never any adjustments, very little blitzing, often after half times they got worse. But mostly they looked uninspired. No excitement, bland to a fault.

BB is ultimately responsible for it all and needs to step up and take charge.
If we don't have the dudes, get some.  Hey even the La tech, Monroes have decent defenses, why can't we ?

The mizzou meltdown out weighed the good for this season to some degree. That last game burns in the minds of the fans and it feels like a letdown season to a lot of us.
These great seniors departing deserved better from our coaches. Hoping things vastly improve and soon too. I for one want the coaching staff to quit talking and start producing, come on get her done !!!!!!!!!!
go hogs go !

RagingHawgOn

Segrest. How in the hell do you have that much talent at your disposal and lose the LOS battle every game?

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawg IQ on December 08, 2016, 07:21:20 am
But mostly they looked uninspired. No excitement, bland to a fault.

this is why I lean towards him being replaced.  the scheme can't be that bad.  Sure its not very aggressive, but in turn that means we shouldn't be giving up big plays. 

if they players are making mental mistakes, then he isn't doing a good job teaching it.  if the players lack effort its because he isn't doing a good job inspiring them.  without those two things, no scheme in the world is going to look good.

Youngsta71701

December 08, 2016, 12:50:53 pm #8 Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:06:13 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: RagingHawgOn on December 08, 2016, 07:36:13 am
Segrest. How in the hell do you have that much talent at your disposal and lose the LOS battle every game?
Probably has them overthinking instead of controlling their gap or just beating the man one on one that's across from him. Willy Robinson was the same way. Had his DL doing line dances before trying to do their assignment. lol...

My assignment for the D-line is simple. Have your d-linemen play the run on the way to the pass unless it's an obvious passing situation. That's when you just pin your ears back and get after the QB!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

December 08, 2016, 12:59:33 pm #9 Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:05:37 pm by Youngsta71701
Coach Smith's schemes are so confusing to me. He wants to play bend but don't break defense without giving up big plays. Earlier in the year his corners were playing way off the receivers with two safeties over the top for help. ??? You don't need two safeties over the top for help if your going to play that far off the receiver. Then late in the season (The Missouri game is the one that really comes to mind when it came back to bite us) we played our corners up close to the receivers for most of the game particularly in passing situations. But instead of us having two safeties over the top for help we had one. ??? That's when you need two safeties over the top for help when your corners are playing up close in the face coverage just in case a receiver gets past them.

Get my point? His schemes are totally backwards and contradict themselves. Seems to not know how to mesh his schemes together into one cohesive scheme no matter what kind of game plan he comes up with. If he can't fix this he has to go.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

IMO it was his scheme that was as bad as anything. How many times did you see other teams make first down on third and long, sometimes running for a first down.
   Arkansas had a decent offense, but other teams blitzed us into mistakes or failure to run designed plays.

Really, when you look at Smith defenses these past two years, simply horrible.  Never any adjustments, very little blitzing, often after half times they got worse. But mostly they looked uninspired. No excitement, bland to a fault.

If we don't have the dudes, get some.  Hey even the La tech, Monroes have decent defenses, why can't we ?

The mizzou meltdown out weighed the good for this season to some degree. That last game burns in the minds of the fans and it feels like a letdown season to a lot of us.
These great seniors departing deserved better from our coaches. Hoping things vastly improve and soon too. I for one want the coaching staff to quit talking and start producing, come on get her done !!!!!!!!!!
I really think that Smith and Segrest cost Wise/Ledbetter a round or two in the draft.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Im glad someone else finally said it. We've had too many studs at that position for them to perform the way they have
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 08, 2016, 12:59:33 pm
Coach Smith's schemes are so confusing to me. He wants to play bend but don't break defense without giving up big plays. Earlier in the year his corners were playing way off the receivers with two safeties over the top for help. ??? You don't need to safeties over the top for help if your going to play that far off the receiver. Then late in the season (The Missouri game is the one that really comes to mind when it came back to bite us) we played our corners up close to the receivers for most of the game particularly in passing situations. But instead of us having two safeties over the top for help we had one. ??? That's when you need two safeties over the top for help when your corners are playing up close in the face coverage just in case a receiver gets past them.

Get my point? His schemes are totally backwards and contradict themselves. Seems to not know how to mesh his schemes together into one cohesive scheme no matter what kind type of game plan he comes up with. If he can't fix this he has to go.
yeah, at this point we need a fresh take on defense.

Razorbackers

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 07, 2016, 10:22:26 pm
That being said, segrest is pretty tempting.

That's the only one I checked. It's ABSURD how bad that unit is with the depth and ability he has.

LZH

I thought back in 2014 that Smith was doing a hell of a job. Probably said so on here. But he couldn't have just forgotten how to coach. I don't understand how we could get so bad and so inconsistent so quickly.

Honestly I don't think BB can afford to keep him. I think it's likely he will hamstring himself if he doesn't make a change there.

How do you go into a recruit's house and say "don't you want to play for this guy? In this defense?"

swineology

Smith and Segrest, the rest get the Frito Pie

:razorback: :razorback:

Buff

Quote from: my3boneheads on December 08, 2016, 06:10:39 am
It depends. If they go 3-4 than the staff stays. If they use 4-3 I think some minor changes will be made.

3-4 will just be an excuse to keep the band together for at least 2 more years during that transition.

PorkSoda

HogFoo

I think Smith is fine.  I kind of lean towards Segrest being gone.  He coaches the Dline and ours should have had some good depth  but yet, they stunk it up for the most part.  I think we had them lose too much weight to get quicker and so we lost our ability to be able to hole plug.  Our dline got pushed around nearly every game.  The only one that really kept his weight on was Bijohn jackson.  I think Agim may have added just a little bit of weight.  Not much tho. Maybe 5-10lbs.  But the rest lost like 15lbs-20lbs and as everyone saw , like I mentioned got blown up.  Anyways.  That's about the only difference between this year's dline and last year's was that is that they were lighter.   Anyways.  Hope they let these guys eat a few more steaks!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

plumbhog

IMHO he has two years left to right the ship so he should use the coaches he believes in.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

hawg IQ

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 08, 2016, 12:34:34 pm
this is why I lean towards him being replaced.  the scheme can't be that bad.  Sure its not very aggressive, but in turn that means we shouldn't be giving up big plays. 

if they players are making mental mistakes, then he isn't doing a good job teaching it.  if the players lack effort its because he isn't doing a good job inspiring them.  without those two things, no scheme in the world is going to look good.
Maybe the "scheme was bad " was a little bit of an over statement.
I should have said players being able to play his scheme was the problem.

You know I think players play and coaches coach ! With our players- they play uninspired, maybe not always, but mostly and it could be coaching.
On the coaches coach part- no adjustments, no blitzing to get a needed stop. No pumping up enthusiasm there.
all in all players sometimes reflect their coaching.

I do think we are a bump down on talent, but that don't always mean that much or we would never have upsets in college football.  When you see the good defensive coaches, you see the strategy , the adjusting and sometimes scheming and that's lacking at Arkansas.
go hogs go !

31to6

I'm sure the Bielema plan includes Frito Pie.

PorkSoda

Quote from: 31to6 on December 09, 2016, 04:19:26 pm
I'm sure the Bielema plan includes Frito Pie.
as any good plan worth its weight in chili and cheese does

I just do not feel I am qualified to cut an assistant.  The overall quality of the team is in the hands of the HC in my opinion.  He is the one I hold responsible for the team.  Even if I blamed any assistant, I still believe its on the HC to see what I think I see.  Also, I realize this is just a fan site with opinions.

PorkSoda

no sane person thinks they know more than the coach.  this is just a fan poll, where if we put our self in his shoes, what changes would we make based on our limited perspective.

in that light, I think our problems run deeper than scheme.  we are missing the intangibles that make a team overcome adversity.  they have shown flashes, and we have talent, but  they just don't seem to be on the same page, ie playing as a unit. 

That leads me to belief we need a fresh start on defense, nothing against robb smith, but he is not inspiring this team to reach their potential.

CBB gets a pass because we cannot afford to start over from scratch at this point, so we have to hope that making a change in DC along with whatever assistants he wants to bring with him, will generate some enthusiasm and get the defense back to playing fundamentally sound football.

tophawg19

the defensive staff is never on the same page . we couldn't get lined up right half the time
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Youngsta71701

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 09, 2016, 08:07:09 pm
the defensive staff is never on the same page . we couldn't get lined up right half the time
Something as simple as this is the start to most of our problems on defense. A large percentage of the time the DL doesn't even line up right in turn leaving natural running lanes to run through. And our linebackers are too slow to read, not aggressive enough, and too slow to get to those holes for the most part.

PonderinHog

Dwight_K_Shrute

Yep, out of all the individual units this one has most under performed the talent level.  No surprise, he had 0 FBS level coaching experience before he arrived at the UofA.  He started at Samford, worked in the NFL for a few years.  The NFL experience was so valuable and he performed so well that teams were clamoring for him when he left the NFL and he ended up at........Samford.  I'm not saying good coaches can't come up from FCS, but it's typically coaches that are achieving the extraordinary at that level.

Said it before and I will say it again.  Our line coaches on both sides of the ball have some of the weakest resumes in the entire SEC.  If line play is going to be your bread and butter hire kick a** line coaches. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

FATHAWG08

Our team speed (or lack of) really stood out to me. We do not have a lot of SEC talent on the Defensive side of the ball period. Brook Ellis starting for 4 years says enough. If teams needed a   first down they went after Brooks  and it was an automatic first down. Smart kid probably knew were the ball was going just didn't have the talent to make the play,but we had no one else to put in his place from what I saw. That was the  demise of this years football team. If the opponent broke through the line of scrimmage there was never anyone in the middle of the field to make a play. And the sad thing is we never made the adjustments to correct this problem. Lack of Talent + Poor Coaching = Failure!!
I love off season Football!!

KennyForAD

The Missouri game just illustrated what we already knew... that our defensive coaching is atrocious.

PorkSoda

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 12, 2016, 12:36:41 pm
The Missouri game just illustrated what we already knew... that our defensive coaching is atrocious.
the Defense is atrocious because the offense went scoreless in the second half?

bcdeputy

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2016, 12:40:12 pm

perhaps referring to Time of Possession problems keeping defense on the field too long

PorkSoda

Quote from: bcdeputy on December 12, 2016, 12:49:16 pm
perhaps referring to Time of Possession problems keeping defense on the field too long
yeah, there are a lot of factors.  one being that this team is fairly young and inconsistent.  Whey they play together as a unit, they can beat good teams, but when they are out of sync against a good team, it gets ugly fast.

We know what division we are in.  the margin for error is thin and teams will take advantage.

FATHAWG08

we have a L.O.F.T. problem on defense. Lack Of Freaking Talent.
I love off season Football!!

Once again, we tend to blame recruiting and somewhat rightfully so.  But BB and company has recruited about like the last 3 or 4 coaches we have had and in fact BB has collected more 4 start talent and less 2 star talent than the other coaches.  We are not this bad due simply to recruiting.  Whatever we are teaching here, if anything, is not getting through.  This team plays like it really doesn't matter most of the time.  In a couple of games, we played great, think OM and Fla.  How can we be that good and then no nothing in the very next game.  I believe most of our problem is attitude.  And most of the attitude is the coaches. 

Youngsta71701

I'm seriously starting to wonder does this defensive coaching staff even watch film of the opponent or do they even have the kids watching film of the upcoming opponent? Because sometimes its seems like we don't even know the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents. Like we don't know what to try and take away from them to keep them from being as successful.

Like if they like to run or pass the ball? Or do they have a running QB or a passing QB? Who are their go to receivers? Who are their fastest players at receiver or running back? Who is their possession receiver? Who is their power back and speed back? Like do they have any tendencies we can pick up on and use against them? Those types of things.

Everybody and they momma knew that to beat Auburn we needed to load up the box and stop the run except us. Everybody knew that Missouri's QB isn't a scrambling QB he's a passing QB except for us apparently and we played him like he was a running QB and he torched us with the deep pass. Those are the kinds of things that pisses me off about our DC and staff.

It's almost like they don't know what's going on. Do they even scout the other team or do they just say as long as we do what we do we'll be fine? If that's the case that's not the right way to look at it. You have to know your opponent almost as much as they know themselves in order to have the most success against them.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 12, 2016, 02:18:25 pm
I'm seriously starting to wonder does this defensive coaching staff even watch film of the opponent or do they even have the kids watching film of the upcoming opponent?

It's almost like they don't know what's going on. Do they even scout the other team or do they just say as long as we do what we do we'll be fine? If that's the case that's not the right way to look at it. You have to know your opponent almost as much as they know themselves in order to have the most success against them.

Come on man, really?

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 12, 2016, 12:36:41 pm

I tend to go on the results obtained, which are not good.   Our defense allowed 6.16 yards per carry. It was 128th and dead last in the FBS, and it's the top reason why we didn't live up to expectations in 2016.

Losing to Alabama and Texas A&M is one thing, but when a team gives up 38 or more points in six of its 12 games (including TCU, Auburn, LSU and Mississippi State), there's big trouble. We ranked 75th in the nation in total defense and 83rd in scoring defense. That needs to change – fast.

We will see how Coach Bielema chooses to handle this situation.  Year FIVE coming up!!
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

1highhog

24 actually voted to keep the DS intact?  Okay, who's the 24 that's doing Shrooms?

KennyForAD

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2016, 12:40:12 pm

Our defense gave up THIRTY ONE points per game.  Once again, one of the very worst defenses in the entire country.   We can't beat ANYONE unless the offense is spectacular and outscores the opponent.  Missouri is exhibit A.  If the Offense has a couple of turnovers, or a scoreless half, we are screwed, because our defense is consistent as it gets....

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on December 12, 2016, 02:35:32 pm
Come on man, really?
Could have fooled me then because half the time we look like we don't know who the playmakers are and what they do best. Common sense tells you to take away what the opponent does best and make them beat you doing something else correct? If you can get running teams behind the chains and make them beat you passing the ball on 3rd and long your chances of stopping them goes way up. Just saying...And it's seems like we haven't figured out that simple concept.

BTW: When it's 3rd and long we should always play coverage and play with at least two deep safeties. That would help also (Missouri).

PorkSoda

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 12, 2016, 03:36:59 pm
Our defense gave up THIRTY ONE points per game.  Once again, one of the very worst defenses in the entire country.   We can't beat ANYONE unless the offense is spectacular and outscores the opponent.  Missouri is exhibit A.  If the Offense has a couple of turnovers, or a scoreless half, we are screwed, because our defense is consistent as it gets....
the top 50+ teams all averaged more than 30 points per game. 

if we can't score 30 points in a game then it doesn't matter how many points the defense gives up, because we aren't going to win against anyone with a pulse.

KennyForAD

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2016, 04:17:05 pm
the top 50+ teams all averaged more than 30 points per game. 

if we can't score 30 points in a game then it doesn't matter how many points the defense gives up, because we aren't going to win against anyone with a pulse.

Can you name any team that gave up 30 points a game this year, that you think is GOOD?    Your argument above is ... interesting.  One of those things that feels like it should make sense, but doesn't.   If your defense gives up 31 points a game, you suck.   Period.  But kudos for your argumentative creativity.

LZH

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 12, 2016, 04:37:39 pm
Can you name any team that gave up 30 points a game this year, that you think is GOOD?    Your argument above is ... interesting.  One of those things that feels like it should make sense, but doesn't.   If your defense gives up 31 points a game, you suck.   Period.  But kudos for your argumentative creativity.

That seems harsh....

35 points, OK. But 30, c'mon man.

KennyForAD

Quote from: LZH on December 12, 2016, 04:39:28 pm
That seems harsh....

35 points, OK. But 30, c'mon man.

Yeah, you're right.  Our defense was just fine.

tophawg19

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 12, 2016, 04:37:39 pm

what makes it worse is that is with our offense controlling TOP in most games that's over a point a minute .

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

JayBell

It's easy to call for Smith to go because so much of the defense's problems were based on scheme.  With the position coaches, it's hard to tell how much of the players' struggles was based on technique versus the terrible scheme.

Hargreaves hasn't had a ton of talent to work with, but they've also been woefully misused; Ellis' tackling also improved drastically from last season to this season.  The defensive line struggled at times, but they also ran hardly any stunts and received no help from the other units.  How much do you credit Rhoads for Ramirez and Pulley's improvements versus the consistent struggles of Toliver, Liddell and others in coverage?

I think Smith and Segrest make the most sense because they've been at Arkansas long enough to safely say whatever they're doing isn't working.

Biggus Piggus

Trivia for you: Here are the past five FBS teams that finished last in rushing defense.

2011 - Texas Tech
2012 - Eastern Michigan
2013 - New Mexico State
2014 - New Mexico State
2015 - Eastern Michigan

In each instance, the defensive coordinator was fired or demoted.

That's all I checked, the past five years.
[CENSORED]!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 13, 2016, 02:10:54 pm
Trivia for you: Here are the past five FBS teams that finished last in rushing defense.

2011 - Texas Tech
2012 - Eastern Michigan
2013 - New Mexico State
2014 - New Mexico State
2015 - Eastern Michigan

In each instance, the defensive coordinator was fired or demoted.

That's all I checked, the past five years.
looks like it didn't help new mexico state