Army uniforms vs. Navy. These are sick

Started by bigpigpimpin, December 05, 2016, 09:25:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

hawkdriver

The Kig

Poker Porker

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

zane

RIP LSUfan

Ironhawg

Army is wearing patches on their uniforms from the 82nd Airborne WW2 units as a tribute.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

JIMMY BOARFFETT

The American flag patch is backwards.  Go Navy!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

usnavyhogfan

The dream is free, the journey is not.

Ironhawg

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Paladin_Hog

Quote from: Hogs run wild on December 05, 2016, 09:39:36 pm
Why is Satan on there?
One of the Regiments of the Division (504th) is called the Devils in baggy pants.  The reference was found in a dead German officer's journal during WWII.  It has stuck ever since that time.  I spent 4 years in 1/504.

Paladin_Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 05, 2016, 10:05:04 pm
The Official Reason for the Backwards American Flag
Basically, the idea behind the backwards American flag on Army uniforms is to make it look as though the flag is flying in the breeze as the person wearing it moves forward.

The rule dates back to the Army's early history, when both mounted cavalry and infantry units would designate a standard bearer, who carried the flag into battle.

As this standard bearer charged, his forward momentum caused the flag to stream back. Since the Stars and Stripes are mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section of the flag stayed to the right, while the stripes flew to the left.

Therefore, the flag is worn on the right shoulder, and wearing it backwards gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.

Army Regulation 670-1, Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia

1highhog

longpig

Quote from: zane on December 05, 2016, 09:44:08 pm
I think it's the patch of the 82nd Airborne
Why is satan on the patch of the 82nd Airborne?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Paladin_Hog

Quote from: longpig on December 06, 2016, 05:51:12 am
Why is satan on the patch of the 82nd Airborne?

Why is Satan on there?

From my quote above:

One of the Regiments of the Division (504th) is called the Devils in baggy pants.  The reference was found in a dead German officer's journal during WWII.  It has stuck ever since that time.  I spent 4 years in 1/504.

The unit patch is a double AA with an Airborne tab above the letters.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Why is Satan on there?

Quote from: zane on December 05, 2016, 09:44:08 pm
I think it's the patch of the 82nd Airborne

It's the patch of the 1st Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division. The Germans called them the "Devils in Baggy Pants" due to their tenacious fighting and loose pants that paratroopers wore.

The US flag isn't backwards. It symbolic of waving as the individual wearing it moves forward. It is worn this way on Army uniforms to this day.

However, the flag on the football uniforms is a replica of what was worn on the D Day jump to identify who was so behind enemy lines.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: RGRHog on December 06, 2016, 06:03:44 am
Why is Satan on there?

From my quote above:

The unit patch is a double AA with an Airborne tab above the letters.

I spent 4 years in 1/325 AIR.  What's up, brother?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: RGRHog on December 06, 2016, 04:48:17 am
Basically, the idea behind the backwards American flag on Army uniforms is to make it look as though the flag is flying in the breeze as the person wearing it moves forward.

The rule dates back to the Army's early history, when both mounted cavalry and infantry units would designate a standard bearer, who carried the flag into battle.

As this standard bearer charged, his forward momentum caused the flag to stream back. Since the Stars and Stripes are mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section of the flag stayed to the right, while the stripes flew to the left.

Therefore, the flag is worn on the right shoulder, and wearing it backwards gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.

I understand about the flag flying in the breeze as the person wearing it moves forward.  Not trying to argue, just trying to picture this.  If the flag on the football uniform is flying in the breeze as the player moved, wouldn't he be walking backwards?

RazorBassin

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Ironhawg on December 05, 2016, 09:50:07 pm
Army is wearing patches on their uniforms from the 82nd Airborne WW2 units as a tribute.

Ah, that explains the "All-Americans" logo. At first, I thought that seemed a little presumptuous.

I like the WWII netting on the helmet.

I don't like the Totenkopf symbol. Bad connotation there.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 06, 2016, 07:03:27 am

I understand about the flag flying in the breeze as the person wearing it moves forward.  Not trying to argue, just trying to picture this.  If the flag on the football uniform is flying in the breeze as the player moved, wouldn't he be walking backwards?

In WWII, this is how the 82nd wore the flag on their uniforms during the D Day jump. 

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 06, 2016, 07:23:47 am
Ah, that explains the "All-Americans" logo. At first, I thought that seemed a little presumptuous.

I like the WWII netting on the helmet.

I don't like the Totenkopf symbol. Bad connotation there.

No it's not.  It's the helmet insignia used by the 504th during WWII.  The SS didn't have a monopoly on the skull and crossbones.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: The Chief on December 06, 2016, 08:14:48 am
In WWII, this is how the 82nd wore the flag on their uniforms during the D Day jump. 

Ahh, there's the confusion.  The flag displayed on the football uniform is displayed in a "throwback manner" and not the way it is worn today?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 06, 2016, 08:25:15 am
Ahh, there's the confusion.  The flag displayed on the football uniform is displayed in a "throwback manner" and not the way it is worn today?

Yes.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 06, 2016, 08:27:42 am
Thank you sir.

No problem.  I was in the 82nd for four years including OIF I and OEF V.  I made several trips the 82nd Airborne Division Museum as knowledge of unit history was required for promotion.

moto625

GolfnHog

Other than a Razorback game this game is the "one" game a year I put in the must watch priority. Though I tend to pull for the Midshipmen (lots of family and friends) at the end of the game every person that calls this country home is the winner. #freedomaintscheap
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: RGRHog on December 06, 2016, 04:48:17 am

Thanks for explaining this.  I've wondered.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 05, 2016, 10:05:04 pm

You're right.......I wonder what idiot approved that?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

The_Iceman

NuttinItUp

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 06, 2016, 09:52:25 am
You're right.......I wonder what idiot approved that?
Did you not read the explanation above by RGRHog? Makes a lot of sense.

HogFansReunited

At least Army will look good while Navy beats them like a redheaded stepchild.

Go Navy
Beat Army
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Pigsknuckles

The mesh pattern on the helmet is a nice touch. Emulates the WWII M1 lid.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: The Chief on December 06, 2016, 08:20:29 am
No it's not.  It's the helmet insignia used by the 504th during WWII.  The SS didn't have a monopoly on the skull and crossbones.

I understand. It's still a bad connotation from WWII.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 06, 2016, 11:09:24 am
Did you not read the explanation above by RGRHog? Makes a lot of sense.

Yes, I did.....Shouldn't the stars be on the right side of the flag if displayed on the player's right shoulder?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

OutlawHawg

The Cubs won the World Series and Donald Trump is our president.

This is the year Army breaks the streak.

Go Army!

CuttheNutts

HPRD

HOGS82

Quote from: RGRHog on December 06, 2016, 04:43:32 am

Currently serving in 1/504.
Quote from: mindemon on November 24, 2023, 06:58:31 pmThe 'Fire Sam Pittman' crowd are going to be eating their words next year. Trust me.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 06, 2016, 04:25:15 pm
Yes, I did.....Shouldn't the stars be on the right side of the flag if displayed on the player's right shoulder?

Read my explanation above complete with picture evidence.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 06, 2016, 04:19:19 pm
I understand. It's still a bad connotation from WWII.

Well, paratroopers have bad intentions once we're dropped in behind enemy lines.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: The Chief on December 06, 2016, 05:09:29 pm
Well, paratroopers have bad intentions once we're dropped in behind enemy lines.

They also had those little cricket clickers that folks would give me as Halloween trick-or-treats. I thought they just stupid little noisemakers instead of candy some dentist was pushing. No one told me they were cool.

kp72204

Wow I love the fact there is no disrespect in this post. Anyhow the only question is how bad Navy whips up on Army.

Go Navy!!!!!

AFBack

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***