Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was 2014 Bielema's best team?

Started by Ben, December 05, 2016, 07:01:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I look back to his past teams up to now. And looking at how close Arkansas kept it against teams like Alabama, then #1 Miss St, then SEC east champ Mizzou, and the blowout wins vs Ole Miss, LSU, and Texas, Could there be an argument made that even at 6-6, the 2014 team was Bielema's best team?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

farmhawg

Not even close. He still had players from the last coach. He is building this right and we win big next year.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Ben on December 05, 2016, 07:01:19 pm
I look back to his past teams up to now. And looking at how close Arkansas kept it against teams like Alabama, then #1 Miss St, then SEC east champ Mizzou, and the blowout wins vs Ole Miss, LSU, and Texas, Could there be an argument made that even at 6-6, the 2014 team was Bielema's best team?

We really haven't had a "good season" in 5 years, but I thought his best year was probably last year.

Ben

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 05, 2016, 07:23:55 pm
We really haven't had a "good season" in 5 years, but I thought his best year was probably last year.
Record wise, yes he was but he also lost to Toledo and Texas Tech.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

jgphillips3

Arguably, yes, especially given the defensive regression.  It was absolutely the most physical team. 

JONAS

Last year was the best team.  We went 5-3 in the SEC.  Should have been 7-1 or 6-2.

Pig In The City

In my mind, CBB is riding out his contract. You just don't regress in year four. You just don't! After this season, what do you think can all of a sudden get better?

rhames

The fact is I'm more disappointed with last year's record than this year. That team should have won 9 or more games. That also would have taken a little pressure off this year. This year 8 wins was always going to be a tall order. In my opinion of course.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

RME

Quote from: farmhawg on December 05, 2016, 07:18:21 pm
Not even close. He still had players from the last coach. He is building this right and we win big next year.

2013: 3
2014: 7
2015: 8
2016: 7, chance at 8

I would say a 1 win differential isn't enough to warrant a "not even close" conclusion but...I guess our definitions of "not even close" are a little different.

It'll be interesting to see what people say if we're still winning 7/8 games (which, as we all know is pretty standard) in two years. Then they won't have the "previous coach" excuse.

Calling All Hogs

2014 was his best defense although it doesn't take much to be able to say that.  He also seemed well on his way to building a great O-line that year that might dominate someday even in the SEC. 

onebadrubi

Oh boy, another post by Ben to attempt to stir the pot and create controversy.

LSUFan

I get the sarcasm in your key strokes.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

3kgthog

And those players from the last coach were the foundation of Bielema's best defense here. Now he's got mostly his own players and has set records for Hog futility this season. Want to try again?

mckinneyhog5

December 06, 2016, 03:04:47 am #13 Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:32:19 pm by mckinneyhog5
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 05, 2016, 09:34:30 pm

I would say a 1 win differential isn't enough to warrant a "not even close" conclusion but...I guess our definitions of "not even close" are a little different.

It'll be interesting to see what people say if we're still winning 7/8 games (which, as we all know is pretty standard) in two years. Then they won't have the "previous coach" excuse.
my bad!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

LZH

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 06, 2016, 03:04:47 am
In 2014 it was 8 wins and 9 wins in 2015 and before you say anything bowl wins  do count.

What? 7-6, 8-5.

HoggusMaximus

It seems like CBB is getting some nice defensive recruits in the next couple of seasons. If Calloway commits this year along with Brown and Pool next year, Hopefully we should start seeing some better play in the long run.

farmhawg

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 06, 2016, 05:31:44 am
It seems like CBB is getting some nice defensive recruits in the next couple of seasons. If Calloway commits this year along with Brown and Pool next year, Hopefully we should start seeing some better play in the long run.
he has another four years to get where he needs to be.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2016, 08:15:00 am
he has another four years to get where he needs to be.

I would extend his contract, give him an extra 4-6 years. Up his buyout to around 15-16 million, against us of course.  Maybe, just maybe he'll actually become a little more complacent than he is right now and maybe we'll win 5-6 games next year.

This is what I'm hoping for.   ;)

farmhawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 06, 2016, 08:21:05 am
I would extend his contract, give him an extra 4-6 years. Up his buyout to around 15-16 million, against us of course.  Maybe, just maybe he'll actually become a little more complacent than he is right now and maybe we'll win 5-6 games next year.

This is what I'm hoping for.   ;)
You will see the light shortly!
From theflyinghog

hogfan14

I think it was his most talented team. Ton of NFL players on that team now looking back.

RME

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 06, 2016, 03:04:47 am
In 2014 it was 8 wins and 9 wins in 2015 and before you say anything bowl wins  do count.

If you count the red-white game as a win, then yeah you're correct.

jkstock04

Was for sure our most physical team. Those Petrino defensive recruits left and it's been all downhill since.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 06, 2016, 08:46:03 am
Was for sure our most physical team. Those Petrino defensive recruits left and it's been all downhill since.

jkstock04

That 2014 Bama game is still a gut wrencher to me. THAT was our best chance to get the Bama monkey off our backs.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

2014's defensive performance was somewhat of a mirage. Yes they shut out Om and LSU, but LSU had no offense and was playing at 8pm on a cold damp night in Fay. OM had just lost a heartbreaking game ( and their best WR the week before ) playing the Hogs on a cold wet day in Fay, and their Qb got hurt on the 1st or 2nd series of the game and they packed it in early.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on December 06, 2016, 08:52:21 am
2014's defensive performance was somewhat of a mirage. Yes they shut out Om and LSU, but LSU had no offense and was playing at 8pm on a cold damp night in Fay. OM had just lost a heartbreaking game ( and their best WR the week before ) playing the Hogs on a cold wet day in Fay, and their Qb got hurt on the 1st or 2nd series of the game and they packed it in early.
Bama similar setting...cold, nasty, dreary night in Fville. You could see on the sidelines their players wanted none of it....they were miserable ready to get on a plane and head back south. That one was there for the taking if our offense had a heartbeat.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogwild

Quote from: JONAS on December 05, 2016, 08:44:39 pm
Last year was the best team.  We went 5-3 in the SEC.  Should have been 7-1 or 6-2.

Last year we were 2 plays away from a 10 win season and 2 plays away from a losing record.

One play different in the Toledo and Miss. State game and we have 10 wins.
If we don't win the 4 OT and 4th and 25 games we wouldn't have gone to a bowl game.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Pig In The City on December 05, 2016, 08:56:43 pm
In my mind, CBB is riding out his contract. You just don't regress in year four. You just don't! After this season, what do you think can all of a sudden get better?
You have to be wholly ignorant of college football history to make a statement like that.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

wildturkey8

Wonder what our 2014 record would have been with Coach Enos as Offensive Coordinator?

farmhawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 06, 2016, 01:40:04 am
And those players from the last coach were the foundation of Bielema's best defense here. Now he's got mostly his own players and has set records for Hog futility this season. Want to try again?
nope, he had to purge those bad apples in order to set the right culture of winning. Still seeing the effects of the loser mentality.
From theflyinghog

RME

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2016, 02:55:47 pm
nope, he had to purge those bad apples in order to set the right culture of winning. Still seeing the effects of the loser mentality.

Lol how moronic.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2016, 02:55:47 pm

Those bad apples produced his only competent defense.  I'll take more of those please.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Gentlemen, what we learned in 2012 is that a good HC who micromanages cannot be replaced by Grandpa.  Grandpa was told he just had to show up and hold the HC title.  The assistants would get the job done.  They didn't because their previous HC drove them like rented mules to success.  So we went 4-8 with 2 conference wins with an 8 or 9 win squad.  No conditioning, no mental toughness, no decent game plans, no second or third team planning, just a group of Guys showing up and sand lotting it out there.  Then we hired a coach who wanted a different scheme and he proceeded to go 3-9 and 0 conference wins. 

2015 was BBs best team so far mainly because Brandon Allen finally showed some QB talent and willed us to win a couple.  If  BB would have had the team ready to play at the start of the season, we could have won 2 more and I agree, we could have lost 2 more that we did win.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2016, 07:13:32 pm
Red delicious or Jonathan?

According to others on here they will be Golden soon.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

ballhogger

I would say that 2014 would have been a better team than this one overall.  This year we won the non conference games which makes the record look a whole lot better.

Swine-as-wine

By "not even close", I think he meant that we seemed to get worse in the later part of the season, rather than better as we
had the previous 2 years. At the end of those years, we as fans all had hope and were chomping at the bits for the next
season to begin. Only thing I'm chomping on right now, is a bag of tater chips.

MushroomCloudHog

Quote from: LZH on December 06, 2016, 05:28:30 am
What? 7-6, 8-5.

listen..CBB is undefeated in the Red/White game....so get it right...he was 8-6, 9-5....

LZH

Quote from: MushroomCloudHog on December 07, 2016, 05:58:20 pm
listen..CBB is undefeated in the Red/White game....so get it right...he was 8-6, 9-5....

Apparently he's also undefeated at the grill.

farmhawg

Quote from: LZH on December 07, 2016, 06:02:12 pm
Apparently he's also undefeated at the grill.
Got to Git your priorities right.....
From theflyinghog

LSUFan

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on December 06, 2016, 01:24:37 pm
You have to be wholly ignorant of college football history to make a statement like that.
No, not really. He makes a valid point of the Peter Principle.

LSUFan

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2016, 03:36:48 pm
If you have a better thought please share.
What are you doing right now? Cocaine, heroin, weed, or shrooms?

I know you better than this.

Are you just toting the line for the ashole mods/admins on this bored? Biggus? Dr. Tom (Wilson)?

hoghearted

Quote from: LSUFan on December 08, 2016, 12:25:59 am
What are you doing right now? Cocaine, heroin, weed, or shrooms?

I know you better than this.

Are you just toting the line for the ashole mods/admins on this bored? Biggus? Dr. Tom (Wilson)?

he's channeling IntegrityHog
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

TNRazorbacker

AR is s seven or so win program. Thats what we've been traditionally in this league and thats what we'll be under Bielema.  I see no reason to expect that changes next year. 

My hope for Bielema was that he'd keep us consistently bowl worthy given his focus on fundamentals and player development. That should at least keep us competitive. I don't expect is to have many 10 win seasons, but also hope to see fewer sub .500 as well.