Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith is waiting on Greg Schiano to get a HC gig (imo)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, December 05, 2016, 04:47:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

December 05, 2016, 04:47:31 pm Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:59:46 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Coach Schiano the current Defensive Coordinator at Ohio State is actively seeking a HC gig, most recently interviewing for the Oregon vacancy.

Does he (Arkansas HC) expect to make staff changes following the bowl game?

"I don't plan on making any changes," Bielema responded.

That gentleman is not a deviant endorsement concerning job security.  A better explanation can be found here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-bret-bielema-not-planning-on-staff-changes-but-wont-rule-them-out-either/amp

Charlie Partridge is a "Defensive Line" coach not a Defensive Coordinator. (Not to say a opportunity may present itself)

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Marshfieldhog

Well, hurry it up already. Defense needs a major overhaul.

RME

This isn't sarcastic or condescending in any way, and I'm sure I'm just not getting it, but what's the point or argument of the original post?

grayhawg

ricepig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 05, 2016, 04:47:31 pm
Coach Schiano the current Defensive Coordinator at Ohio State is actively seeking a HC gig, most recently interviewing for the Oregon vacancy.

Does he (Arkansas HC) expect to make staff changes following the bowl game?

"I don't plan on making any changes," Bielema responded.

That gentleman is not a deviant endorsement concerning job security.  A better explanation can be found here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-bret-bielema-not-planning-on-staff-changes-but-wont-rule-them-out-either/amp

Charlie Partridge is a "Defensive Line" coach not a Defensive Coordinator. (Not to say a opportunity may present itself)

Well, he was Co-DC at Wisco in 2010-2011.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 05, 2016, 05:12:51 pm
This isn't sarcastic or condescending in any way, and I'm sure I'm just not getting it, but what's the point or argument of the original post?
that if Robb Smith leaves it will be to get another job, not because he was fired.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 05, 2016, 05:23:46 pm
that if Robb Smith leaves it will be to get another job, not because he was fired.

Ah, gotcha.

Interesting.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 30, 2016, 05:35:27 am
Schiano to Oregon, Robb Smith to follow, Rhoades as our new DC.  Obviously this weak attempt at bashing Rhoades does not look at what he has done as a DC and ignores that he only had one year to improve one part of our defense and any monkey can tell you that without pressure on the QB, any secondary can be picked apart.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hoot72

If a change is happening, do you think it will before national signing day?  Unless Schiano gets a job and needs Smith, and Coach B has some one already lined up; I think nothing will happen until after NSD.

go hogues

Oregon plays no defense...sounds like a perfect place for ol Robb.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hoot72 on December 05, 2016, 07:13:09 pm
If a change is happening, do you think it will before national signing day?  Unless Schiano gets a job and needs Smith, and Coach B has some one already lined up; I think nothing will happen until after NSD.

Oregon finished 4-8 and fired it's coach....they can't afford to wait that long to salvage the 2017 class.  Whomever is selected will move quickly to get staff in place. (Especially Coordinator's Offense/Defense)

Immediately following bowl games you will see massive defections & hires all over the place.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The Kig

Doubtful Schiano gets the Oregon gig.  While he is a candidate, it looks like he could be fairly far down their list.  Not sure he fits the culture well. 

But I do think he gets a shot when the wheel starts spinning, just maybe not as high in profile as what he is looking for.  Will come down to whether he wants his own gig more that being DC for a perennial contender.   Similar to Kiffykens, the offers will be there...maybe just not big name jobs.  Not sure if Kiffin or Schiano make a jump if they don't get their top choices. 
Poker Porker

Hawg Life

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2016, 10:17:54 pm
Doubtful Schiano gets the Oregon gig.  While he is a candidate, it looks like he could be fairly far down their list.  Not sure he fits the culture well. 

But I do think he gets a shot when the wheel starts spinning, just maybe not as high in profile as what he is looking for.  Will come down to whether he wants his own gig more that being DC for a perennial contender.   Similar to Kiffykens, the offers will be there...maybe just not big name jobs.  Not sure if Kiffin or Schiano make a jump if they don't get their top choices.

Odds are Kiffin goes to Houston. There's a good chance Sumlim gets fired. Between now and the next 2-3 weeks Kent State will be open, and Arizona maybe looking for a new coach too. There's still a 50/50 chance Kelly gets let go @ Norte Dame. So, there's a chance that even if Oregon passes on Oregon then Schiano may have other opportunities.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 05, 2016, 11:48:30 pm
Odds are Kiffin goes to Houston. There's a good chance Sumlim gets fired. Between now and the next 2-3 weeks Kent State will be open, and Arizona maybe looking for a new coach too. There's still a 50/50 chance Kelly gets let go @ Norte Dame. So, there's a chance that even if Oregon passes on Oregon then Schiano may have other opportunities.

I was definitely thinking if the Aggies lose that bowl game that's the nail in the coffin. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The Kig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 06, 2016, 05:11:00 am
I was definitely thinking if the Aggies lose that bowl game that's the nail in the coffin. 

That would be a big "if"...K State had a decent season, but didn't beat a team that ended up ranked.  They did play close games to those that did beat them though, so who knows.  Seems that ATM plays lights out when Sumlin's job is on the line...

Only see ATM pulling the trigger if they think they can get a significant (at least from their perspective) upgrade.  Kiffin might be that guy if he is still on the board.  While his name is one of the main ones circulating for the Houston job, just not sure that is the level of job he thought he would land by rehabbing  at Bama.  ATM would be.  Schiano is a stretch, but could be considered ...although I don't know that his resume is much better than Sumlin's coming in.  He is also image rehabbing at Ohio State. 
Poker Porker

longpig

If the ASU coach gets a big job, Kiffin to Jonesboro. No better resume rehab than Mohajir's stamp of approval.

Plus it'd be funny.

Don't be scared, be smart.

Hogwild

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 05, 2016, 09:22:26 pm
Oregon finished 4-8 and fired it's coach....they can't afford to wait that long to salvage the 2017 class.  Whomever is selected will move quickly to get staff in place. (Especially Coordinator's Offense/Defense)

Immediately following bowl games you will see massive defections & hires all over the place.

Oregon might wait a while, especially if the 49ers keep losing.

Danny J

Quote from: Hogwild on December 06, 2016, 08:58:19 am
Oregon might wait a while, especially if the 49ers keep losing.
Yeah...they would be dumb not too plus all the bowl games will be done by then.

Coach Obvious

Pork Twain

I believe our best bet is Schiano getting a HC gig somewhere and coming for Rob.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dwight_K_Shrute

Schiano could be in play for USF if Charlie Strong doesn't take it.  I could see him going to Cincy as well.  I just don't see either paying what RS is making now.  I don't see Schiano getting a high level P5 job.  I see him more as lower tier P5 that is trying to build much like Rutgers was when they hired him, a KU for example, or an aspirational G5 like USF or Cincy.  Temple would be an interesting landing spot as well.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HF#1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 09, 2016, 02:56:39 pm
Schiano could be in play for USF if Charlie Strong doesn't take it.  I could see him going to Cincy as well.  I just don't see either paying what RS is making now.  I don't see Schiano getting a high level P5 job.  I see him more as lower tier P5 that is trying to build much like Rutgers was when they hired him, a KU for example, or an aspirational G5 like USF or Cincy.  Temple would be an interesting landing spot as well.

Luke Fickell took the Cincy job.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

HF#1

Quote from: ricepig on December 09, 2016, 03:07:16 pm
Not yet......

Just saw it's not "technically" done that talks were on going. But I do think he is their guy.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin