Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NUTT - PETRINO - SMITH - BIELEMA BY THE NUMBERS

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, December 05, 2016, 08:52:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

al_pigcino

Quote from: IndianaHog on December 07, 2016, 08:22:25 am
Confused to how you "lucked" into a bunch of 3 stars? Isn't like he "lucked" in a bunch of 4 and 5 stars.  CBB instate class in 2015 is rating MUCH higher. In both his 10 win and 11 win season his SOS was top 10 both years

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2011-01-11
3 star or not he had a trio of NFL WR's from one town of 4000.  You can argue all you want but if you are denying we didn't have the highest level of in state talent in years during CBP's years there is no convincing.  He caught a favorable schedule with a ton of talent. 

ATU HOG

Quote from: al_pigcino on December 07, 2016, 09:06:38 am
3 star or not he had a trio of NFL WR's from one town of 4000.  You can argue all you want but if you are denying we didn't have the highest level of in state talent in years during CBP's years there is no convincing.  He caught a favorable schedule with a ton of talent.
Agreed he caught some good in state talent, but don't agree with the favorable schedule.  How did he have a favorable schedule?

al_pigcino

Quote from: ATU HOG on December 07, 2016, 09:09:29 am
Agreed he caught some good in state talent, but don't agree with the favorable schedule.  How did he have a favorable schedule?
He only played a few teams above .500.......I posted threads before but I'm not searching again. 

Gonzo

Imagine how awesome those kids and those teams would have been with a good coach!

Go Hogs! Beat Va Tech!

Razorbax

These three? Jwright I give you...A decent WR3. Childs had zero NFL career. In 3 years at Arkansas, he had about 1800 yards total. Good player/Good Razorback? Yes...But nothing amazing. Gragg, converted to TE by CBP. Caught a grand total of 24 passes in 3 years with Buffalo. Plays in the NFL?...Yes. Great talent? Not even close.

Danny J

Quote from: al_pigcino on December 07, 2016, 09:16:33 am
He only played a few teams above .500.......I posted threads before but I'm not searching again.
Quote from: Danny J on December 05, 2016, 09:20:48 pm
Well that didn't take long...so here goes:

Final SOS at the end of year:

08 - 26
09 - 8
10 - 3
11 - 8

13 - 40
14 - 4
15 - 7
16 - 25

ATU HOG

Quote from: al_pigcino on December 07, 2016, 09:16:33 am
Just for fun, I looked it up.

2010 - played 6 teams that finished below .500 (7 teams we played finished in the top 25)
2011 - played 4 teams that finished below .500 (4 teams we played finished in the top 25)

IndianaHog

Favorable schedule? LOL stop it

colbs

Quote from: ATU HOG on December 07, 2016, 09:33:51 am
Just for fun, I looked it up.

2010 - played 6 teams that finished below .500 (7 teams we played finished in the top 25)
2011 - played 4 teams that finished below .500 (4 teams we played finished in the top 25)

2011 Arkansas played 6 teams below .500.  On top of that A&M was 7-6 and MSU was 7-6. 

al_pigcino

Quote from: IndianaHog on December 07, 2016, 09:47:48 am
Favorable schedule? LOL stop it
And let's recap CBP's 21-5 record.
2010 10-3
Teams won against records:
Tennessee Tech                          5-6
ULM                                           5-7
Georgia                                      6-7     
Texas A&M                                 9-4   
Ole Miss                                     4-8
Vanderbilt                                  2-10
South Carolina                            9-5 
UTEP                                         6-7
Mississippi State                         9-4
LSU                                           11-2             
Teams lost against records:
Alabama                                     10-3
Auburn                                       14-0
Ohio State                                   *

Record against .500 teams: 4-3

2011 11-2
Missouri State                               5-6
New Mexico                                  1-11
Troy                                             8-5
Texas A&M                                    7-6
Auburn                                         8-5
Ole Miss                                        2-10
Vanderbilt                                     6-7
South Carolina                               11-2
Tennessee                                     5-7
Mississippi State                             7-6
Kansas State                                 10-3
Alabama                                       12-1
LSU                                              13-1

Record against .500 teams 5-2

And on top of that we lost every single game we weren't favored in.  Hardly a great feat. 

ATU HOG

Quote from: al_pigcino on December 07, 2016, 10:43:37 am
2010 10-3

2011 11-2

And on top of that we lost every single game we weren't favored in.  Hardly a great feat.
So the 5 games in 2 years we weren't favorites we lost.  Meaning the 21 games we were favorites we won.  Not a bad trade off.  Considering the 5 games we lost at one point each one of those teams was ranked number 1.

Danny J

Quote from: ATU HOG on December 07, 2016, 10:48:19 am
So the 5 games in 2 years we weren't favorites we lost.  Meaning the 21 games we were favorites we won.  Not a bad trade off.  Considering the 5 games we lost at one point each one of those teams was ranked number 1.
Correct...the 5 teams we lost to finished the season #10, #1, #6, #1 and #2. Also...the SOS those 2 years...#3 and #8 in the country and that is after the season was concluded not what it was before the season started using preseason polls. 

LRrazorback

I'd bet we were the underdog in 2010 to LSU, but won

IndianaHog

2010 10-3

2011 11-2

Bet you would take this over two back to back 7 win seasons as to date. I see no embarrassing loses like to Toledo, 3-8 Mizzou type team or Tech. Quit trying to down one coach accomplishments to help make the current coach look better and I actually like CBB

hoglady

I really don't understand why running down what CBP did here makes people feel better.
I bet everyone was sure enjoying those seasons when they were happening.
It is what it is - an amazingly fun 2 years to be a Hog fan.

Time will tell whether CBB accomplishes close to the same - he will be given the opportunity and has been given the resources to succeed.
But let's not pretend the SECW was anything to write home about this year - other than Bama the SEC was nothing special.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

IndianaHog

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2016, 11:15:23 am
I really don't understand why running down what CBP did here makes people feel better.

Time will tell whether CBB accomplishes close to the same - he will be given the opportunity and has been given the resources to succeed.
But let's not pretend the SECW was anything to write home about this year - other than Bama the SEC was nothing special.

+1000

al_pigcino

Twice I've mentioned I wasn't running him down and thought he was a really good coach.  I was just making a point.  Originally it was to conclude that HV's greatest coach in history CBP also took a top 5 Louisville team toe to toe with the bottom of the SEC and lost........Some people are just so defensive on here. 

*cliff notes for people who can't keep up*
Al Pigcino "Petrino is a good coach but isn't perfect.  Much like Bielema"

EastexHawg

Quote from: colbs on December 07, 2016, 10:43:25 am
2011 Arkansas played 6 teams below .500.  On top of that A&M was 7-6 and MSU was 7-6. 

You know, the funny thing about going 34-17 instead of 25-25 is that your opponents' cumulative W/L record is going to be 9 games worse.  When you're 17-15 in the SEC rather than 10-22 the rest of the conference is going to be 7 games "worse" as a whole.  That's not an opinion, it's just basic math.

IndianaHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 07, 2016, 11:36:00 am
You know, the funny thing about going 34-17 instead of 25-25 is that your opponents' cumulative W/L record is going to be 9 games worse.  When you're 17-15 in the SEC rather than 10-22 the rest of the conference is going to be 7 games "worse" as a whole.  That's not an opinion, it's just basic math.

Never thought about that +1

Razorbax

Not true. The 2011 TAMU game we were underdogs. Based upon your logic, Alabama only winning games this year where they were favored is a stigma.
2010 10-3

2011 11-2

colbs

Quote from: Danny J on December 07, 2016, 10:56:16 am
Correct...the 5 teams we lost to finished the season #10, #1, #6, #1 and #2. Also...the SOS those 2 years...#3 and #8 in the country and that is after the season was concluded not what it was before the season started using preseason polls. 

The thing with me is the middle and bottom part of the league weren't near as good in 2010 & 2011(especially 2011).  I am not trying to knock what BP did here because anytime you win 10 & 11 games in the SEC it is impressive.  I am just want to point out it was an easier path then(minus 2016).

2010: Played 6 teams with losing records and 7 teams with 9 or more wins.  This was a weird year because the opponents seemed to be really bad or pretty good. 

2011: Played 6 teams with losing records and 2 other teams that ended up 7-6 and 4 teams with 9 or more wins.  I still feel like the 2010 was better than the 2011 team.  Won 8 games against teams with 7 wins or less(including escaping Vandy & Ole Miss) and then getting blown out by the really good teams on the schedule.

2014:  Played 4 teams with losing records and 8 teams with 9 or more wins(5 of those teams had 10 or more wins).  Looking back there were really only 4 easy games the rest were pretty tough(had twice as many in 2011). 

2015: Played 3 teams with losing records(3 with 7 wins) and 6 teams with 9 or more wins.  Arkansas missed out on a chance to get a couple of more wins but still was a tough slate.

2016: Played 6 teams at .500 or worse and will play at least 2 teams with  9 or more wins(could end up with many as 6).  Arkansas missed a really good chance at improving this year.  Arkansas was rebuilding but the defense regressing preventing the hogs from possibly winning 8 or 9 games.

The Mississippi schools use to be wins almost every year and besides this year they have been really good.  So use to you could almost always throw in 6 almost gimmes but now that is not the case.  Also, A&M is better now(would have won 9 or 10 this year if Knight hadn't got hurt).  Keep in mind that BP played Kentucky, Vandy, and played GA during two of their worst years in a long time.  Like I said 10 & 11 games are impressive no matter what year in the SEC but I am not sure look at the whole picture. 

As far as 2008 in state class no it wasn't loaded with 4 & 5 stars but as far as SEC caliber player there were more than I can ever remember, they signed 15.  I believe Arkansas HS players are always a little under rated too.  The 2009 class had more star power but didn't produce at near the level the 2008 class did.  The 2015 class IMO is the closest to the 2008 class and they only signed 10 and it has yet to be seen if they will pan out. 

IndianaHog

Quote from: colbs on December 07, 2016, 12:51:05 pm
The thing with me is the middle and bottom part of the league weren't near as good in 2010 & 2011(especially 2011).  I am not trying to knock what BP did here because anytime you win 10 & 11 games in the SEC it is impressive.  I am just want to point out it was an easier path then(minus 2016).

2010: Played 6 teams with losing records and 7 teams with 9 or more wins.  This was a weird year because the opponents seemed to be really bad or pretty good. 

2011: Played 6 teams with losing records and 2 other teams that ended up 7-6 and 4 teams with 9 or more wins.  I still feel like the 2010 was better than the 2011 team.  Won 8 games against teams with 7 wins or less(including escaping Vandy & Ole Miss) and then getting blown out by the really good teams on the schedule.

2014:  Played 4 teams with losing records and 8 teams with 9 or more wins(5 of those teams had 10 or more wins).  Looking back there were really only 4 easy games the rest were pretty tough(had twice as many in 2011). 

2015: Played 3 teams with losing records(3 with 7 wins) and 6 teams with 9 or more wins.  Arkansas missed out on a chance to get a couple of more wins but still was a tough slate.

2016: Played 6 teams at .500 or worse and will play at least 2 teams with  9 or more wins(could end up with many as 6).  Arkansas missed a really good chance at improving this year.  Arkansas was rebuilding but the defense regressing preventing the hogs from possibly winning 8 or 9 games.

The Mississippi schools use to be wins almost every year and besides this year they have been really good.  So use to you could almost always throw in 6 almost gimmes but now that is not the case.  Also, A&M is better now(would have won 9 or 10 this year if Knight hadn't got hurt).  Keep in mind that BP played Kentucky, Vandy, and played GA during two of their worst years in a long time.  Like I said 10 & 11 games are impressive no matter what year in the SEC but I am not sure look at the whole picture. 

As far as 2008 in state class no it wasn't loaded with 4 & 5 stars but as far as SEC caliber player there were more than I can ever remember, they signed 15.  I believe Arkansas HS players are always a little under rated too.  The 2009 class had more star power but didn't produce at near the level the 2008 class did.  The 2015 class IMO is the closest to the 2008 class and they only signed 10 and it has yet to be seen if they will pan out.

Funny how when you compare each coach seasons you bring up CBP "escaping" wins and blow outs but fail to mention CBB? Hmm.

2016: 3 escaping wins one being to the powerhouse LT and no escaping win against lowly Mizzou. Don't forget that historic whooping Auburn put on us!

2015:  3 escaping wins including lost to Toledo and the miracle against Ole Miss

247 show 3 stars or better in Arkansas:

2008: 15 (three 4*)

2015: 33 (five 4*)

lutherheggs

Quote from: go hogues on December 05, 2016, 09:01:49 am
One thing I see is that despite my ill feelings toward Nutt, he didn't leave Petrino in nearly as bad of shape, roster wise, as Petrino/Smith left Bielema. That 2008 class that David "Ladders" Lee gave us was the spark plug for Petrino's run at Arkansas. That was probably the best in-state class in the last 16 years.

That said, Bielema's recruiting is not great and there is certainly not much to gawk at in this year's class. With that record and poor recruiting, it's going to be hard for him to survive after his contract ends in two years.
And I guarantee you Bielema is well aware of the weakness of his recruiting regardless of what he states for the record. He already understands he cannot do here what he though he could accomplish and realizes his years are numbered. 2 more seasons of 3-5 in SEC and he'll be asked to find a coaching position at another program.

colbs

December 07, 2016, 01:13:28 pm #123 Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:34:56 pm by colbs
Quote from: IndianaHog on December 07, 2016, 01:07:48 pm
Funny how when you compare the each coach seasons you bring up CBP "escaping" wins and blow outs but fail to mention CBB? Hmm.

2016: 3 escaping wins one being to the powerhouse LT and no escaping win against lowly Mizzou. Don't forget that historic whooping Auburn put on us!

2015:  3 escaping wins including lost to Toledo and the miracle against Ole Miss

Well I could have brought BB's close loses up but didn't because they are still loses.   The only year I did that was 2011 and that was just to show how much difference there was from the top to the bottom of the west.  That year it was Bama and LSU then a big gap between them and Arkansas.  Also, somewhat to compare the 2010 to the 2011 team.  The 2010 team lost more games but were more competitive and the league was tougher.

hawganatic

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2016, 11:15:23 am

Y'all are getting it twisted.  Not trying to take anything away from what Petrino did here, but trying to show how not all things are equal.  Despite what people claim, Petrino came into a lot better situation than Bielema did.   He took over a team that went 8-4 the season before and 10-4 the year before that.  He also had a good in-state recruiting class, coupled with Mallett transferring (not all these events can be attributed to Petrino being Petrino)  Petrino ran the perfect system for the skill talent that he had coming in.

Bielema took over a team that had no recruiting, no coaching, and no discipline for a year.   I suspect the players were still beat up over what happened with Petrino and the 2012 season.

Two completely different situations that shouldn't be compared. 

colbs

Quote from: hawganatic on December 07, 2016, 01:34:31 pm
Y'all are getting it twisted.  Not trying to take anything away from what Petrino did here, but trying to show how not all things are equal.  Despite what people claim, Petrino came into a lot better situation than Bielema did.   He took over a team that went 8-4 the season before and 10-4 the year before that.  He also had a good in-state recruiting class, coupled with Mallett transferring (not all these events can be attributed to Petrino being Petrino)  Petrino ran the perfect system for the skill talent that he had coming in.

Bielema took over a team that had no recruiting, no coaching, and no discipline for a year.   I suspect the players were still beat up over what happened with Petrino and the 2012 season.

Gonzo

I can always count on this place for a boat load of chuckles

Go Hogs! Beat Va Tech!

IndianaHog

You're right two completely different situations that shouldn't be compared. CBP didn't have Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Payton Hillis, Marcus Monk, Freddie Fairchild, Matt Hewitt.  He didn't have the top 8 tacklers from that team.  He didn't have the top 3 rushers from that team.  I could go on but he didn't inherited a load team it was complete rebuild

hawganatic

Quote from: IndianaHog on December 07, 2016, 03:13:24 pm
You're right two completely different situations that shouldn't be compared. CBP didn't have Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Payton Hillis, Marcus Monk, Freddie Fairchild, Matt Hewitt.  He didn't have the top 8 tacklers from that team.  He didn't have the top 3 rushers from that team.  I could go on but he didn't inherited a load team it was complete rebuild

I'm pretty sure Beliema didn't have McFadden, Jones, Hillis, Monk, Fairchild, or Hewitt either, so not sure what your point is (youv'e actually posted a lot in this thread and not had a real point)

You really think Petrino had an equal rebuild compared to Beliema?  He had a 4 year starter at QB, a very good running back in Michael Smith, and three seniors on the offensive line (including the best center in the country).  It definitely wasn't a stacked team, but no where near the hole the program was in when Beliema came on board.    The cupboard was thin when Petrino got here.   When Beliema got here the cupboard had been burned down in a fire and didn't exist.

This is the kind of thing that makes people declare our fanbase to be the #4 dumbest in the country.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: hawganatic on December 07, 2016, 03:40:01 pm
I'm pretty sure Beliema didn't have McFadden, Jones, Hillis, Monk, Fairchild, or Hewitt either, so not sure what your point is (youv'e actually posted a lot in this thread and not had a real point)

You really think Petrino had an equal rebuild compared to Beliema?  He had a 4 year starter at QB, a very good running back in Michael Smith, and three seniors on the offensive line (including the best center in the country).  It definitely wasn't a stacked team, but no where near the hole the program was in when Beliema came on board.    The cupboard was thin when Petrino got here.   When Beliema got here the cupboard had been burned down in a fire and didn't exist.

This is the kind of thing that makes people declare our fanbase to be the #4 dumbest in the country.

Bielema hasn't had players like the ones you mentioned, because he hasn't recruited worth a crap. This is his 4th year.......
where are they?

hawganatic

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on December 07, 2016, 03:50:47 pm
Bielema hasn't had players like the ones you mentioned, because he hasn't recruited worth a crap. This is his 4th year.......
where are they?

So he didn't have great players his first year because he didn't recruit worth a crap?  Friggen genius...

jabberjawls

Quote from: ATU HOG on December 07, 2016, 10:48:19 am

S.A.D.C

If CBP was on fire I don't think I would piss on him to put it out... But I am so sick of people on here acting like he isn't/wasn't a great coach.  The guy is an offensive genius and that is just a fact.  He wins at college football no matter where it is.  The fact is he coached Arkansas in two of their best seasons ever.  And this school might never have a coach as good or better than him at the X's and O's.  That has nothing to do with BB.  That has nothing to do with anything except history.  He ruined it and that is his fault.  But how it ended doesn't change the record book. 

By the same token:  the desire of some to make BB's tenure thus far a total failure is mind-blowing.  Have there been some disappointments?  Of course.  But he has performed about at the average level for Arkansas over time, after inheriting a mess.  He obviously has 1 or 2 more years here to write the rest of the story and there is reason for both doubt and hope.

Extremists are almost never right. 

jabberjawls

2010 10-3

2011 11-2

So, in 2011 under CBP we were favored in 10 games and in 2016 under CBB we were favored in 5 games.  See the point yet??

Iwastherein1969

which coach had us ranked highest in his tenure ?  Petrino had us at #3 in the nation during the week we were playing at LSU with the winner playing for the NC...we had a 14-0 lead after the first quarter and a late as the 11 minute mark the game was in doubt. Petrino is a big time coach who can, with his sheer offensive genius keep a team in contention. Think about it, the other two, especially Nutt, has never won a big game whenever he was favored to win. Nutt's career can be capsulized in two games and they were back to back in 2006, the Hogs losing to an inferior LSU team at Little Rock and then losing to the eventual NC Florida Gators when we had them 'dead to rights' until the fake punt and then the punt that Reggie Fish fumbled into the end zone. Hogs had their greatest modern era team in 2006 and was worthy of winning the National Championship. And most certainly would have if Petrino had coached that team and likely would have if Bielema had coached that team.  Nutt was a choker of the first degree and him coaching that talent laden squad in 2006 was typical Arkansas Razorback luck, bad luck.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

al_pigcino

Quote from: jabberjawls on December 07, 2016, 04:17:45 pm
So, in 2011 under CBP we were favored in 10 games and in 2016 under CBB we were favored in 5 games.  See the point yet??
Over your head.  You've missed the entire point I made just because people get so defensive about CBP.  It ends up an attack on me just because I pointed out the fact CBP had a lucky break.  If CBP had been here 2 years before or 2 years after I really doubt that whirlwind two years would have turned out the same way.  It doesn't mean he wasn't a good coach.  Damn people on here are so defensive.  Someone on here could write a full page of an article and someone will pick out half a sentence and turn that against them.  The person then spends 3 pages defending one statement and another. 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Hogwild on December 07, 2016, 08:52:41 am
I agree, this season is the weakest the SEC as been is a while, doubt we will see that again.

Looking at strength of schedule at the end of the year is misleading like many other stats.  When AR played A$M and Ole Miss, both of those teams had their starting QB, a ton of success and momentum, was playing with confidence, and were every bit the ranked team they were at the time.  They fell apart and it skewed the Strength of Schedule as if we didn't play as tough of a schedule.  When a race car is not tuned up, it may not perform very well, but it is still a race car and, if it does get tuned up for the next race, it may blow every other car off the track.  AR played a lot of teams that are exceptionally tough teams, just because their record isn't impressive in the win loss column doesn't mean they weren't quality teams. 

This was a rebuilding year before the season started and fans got a little too confident and excited after we beat TCU.  Now all of a sudden, a 7 win season is a decline into the depths of hades.  Since TCU didn't finish like the last few years, fans want to say they are a bad team. 

The fact is that the building process at AR is nothing like it is at AL, MI, Ohio State, FL, LSU, A$M, GA, and etc.  The recruiting potential of Arkansas is far more difficult than it is in MS, LSU, A&M, AL, AUB, TN, GA, FL, and USC in the SEC alone; not to mention other programs such as Ohio State, MI, USC, UCLA, TX, FL State, Miami, Notre Dame, and a few others.  It is a hard truth that AR faces an uphill fight to out-recruit a couple of dozen schools around the nation every single year and the majority of our conference.  It is extremely difficult to build a program while playing against the current SEC West while almost all of the teams in the division are having peaks like they haven't had in years to decades. 

AR fans can never seem to figure out how to support the team and help resolve weaknesses that must be overcome because of the always present desire to skip the hard work and reality required to do so.  BB doesn't have a 7 and 8 win ceiling.  He has a talent gap that must be resolved.  All of the griping and complaining won't fix the gap.  Full support of the program sure might help.  BP is not the coach anymore and neither is HDN.  They had their chances and are not here right now.  AR is not getting a bigger named proven coach than the one we have right now.  Better to get behind and support than lead a parade of discention.

Razorbax

AYSM? 4-year starter Casey Dick? Want to compare the number of players they inherited being drafted? Grand total of 5 for CBP. CBB was gifted with 9 and a few more in Winston, Wise, Lewis, Hatcher and T. Johnson in this years draft. Also, let's not forget Mcfain being the most consistent kicker of CBB's era. Considering that 2 at the very least will be drafted this year, 11>5.

Sportster365

Of course not all things are equal. When has it ever has been. You think its fair for Florida to play in the SEC championship game by having the luxury of playing in a down SEC East. You'll never having an apples to apples comparison when evaluating the job of 2 different coaches, the variable will always be different. The players, the coaches will always be relative but what we do have are numbers. We can compare those. Its how we can consider ranking coaches like Nick Saban up there with the likes of a Bear Bryant. Its how were capable of ranking basketball greats like Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan against the likes of a LeBron James and putting them all in a class of top 50. 3 completely different players, who played 3 completely different positions, in 3 completely different eras... yet numbers allow us to figuratively say who did the most in there given time.

hawganatic

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 07, 2016, 05:09:35 pm
Of course not all things are equal. When has it ever has been. You think its fair for Florida to play in the SEC championship game by having the luxury of playing in a down SEC East. You'll never having an apples to apples comparison when evaluating the job of 2 different coaches, the variable will always be different. The players, the coaches will always be relative but what we do have are numbers. We can compare those. Its how we can consider ranking coaches like Nick Saban up there with the likes of a Bear Bryant. Its how were capable of ranking basketball greats like Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan against the likes of a LeBron James and putting them all in a class of top 50. 3 completely different players, who played 3 completely different positions, in 3 completely different eras... yet numbers allow us to figuratively say who did the most in there given time.

mmmkay, so then why can't you point to Chamberlain, or Jordan, or James and proclaim one of them the best player of all time, with no debate?  If that could be proved through data then it should be easy...

Your post further proves my point that comparing records of previous coaches to our current coach is pointless.  Too many variables go into it.

jabberjawls

Quote from: al_pigcino on December 07, 2016, 04:39:32 pm
Over your head.  You've missed the entire point I made just because people get so defensive about CBP.  It ends up an attack on me just because I pointed out the fact CBP had a lucky break.  If CBP had been here 2 years before or 2 years after I really doubt that whirlwind two years would have turned out the same way.  It doesn't mean he wasn't a good coach.  Damn people on here are so defensive.  Someone on here could write a full page of an article and someone will pick out half a sentence and turn that against them.  The person then spends 3 pages defending one statement and another. 
Not over my head but apparently over yours.  Your defense of the CBB record by trying to discredit the CBP record is not supported by fact -- which has been pointed out time and again in other posts.  So, apparently it is over your head.

hawganatic

Quote from: Razorbax on December 07, 2016, 04:50:32 pm
AYSM? 4-year starter Casey Dick? Want to compare the number of players they inherited being drafted? Grand total of 5 for CBP. CBB was gifted with 9 and a few more in Winston, Wise, Lewis, Hatcher and T. Johnson in this years draft. Also, let's not forget Mcfain being the most consistent kicker of CBB's era. Considering that 2 at the very least will be drafted this year, 11>5.

So you are going to argue that Petrino is better than Beliema by throwing players that Beliema coached for most of their careers out there??  Really??

Since Petrino hasn't coached a game here since 2011, I'm going to assume most of the players you're referring too never played a down, much less went through a spring practice/preseason with Petrino. 

Razorbax

Do you understand context? Exactly what were we talking about before you jumped in with eyes closed? We were talking about talent left to them by the previous staffs in their first year. You want to argue something else.....Find another dance partner.
Quote from: hawganatic on December 07, 2016, 06:55:44 pm
So you are going to argue that Petrino is better than Beliema by throwing players that Beliema coached for most of their careers out there??  Really??

Since Petrino hasn't coached a game here since 2011, I'm going to assume most of the players you're referring too never played a down, much less went through a spring practice/preseason with Petrino. 

hawganatic

Quote from: Razorbax on December 07, 2016, 07:04:04 pm
Do you understand context? Exactly what were we talking about before you jumped in with eyes closed? We were talking about talent left to them by the previous staffs in their first year. You want to argue something else.....Find another dance partner.

We were talking about who started with a worse situation, Petrino or Beliema.  Nothing about your post or context proves anything one way or the other.  Good try though.

I like the dance partner comment.  Sharp wit will get you far...

Razorbax

So talent has nothing to do with who had it worse.......So we should take your ill-formed opinion and disregard any facts.... Gotcha. Sometimes trying is not enough.
Quote from: hawganatic on December 07, 2016, 07:09:58 pm
We were talking about who started with a worse situation, Petrino or Beliema.  Nothing about your post or context proves anything one way or the other.  Good try though.

hawganatic

Quote from: Razorbax on December 07, 2016, 07:19:57 pm
So talent has nothing to do with who had it worse.......So we should take your ill-formed opinion and disregard any facts.... Gotcha. Sometimes trying is not enough.
Quote from: hawganatic on December 07, 2016, 07:09:58 pm

You're not making any sense.  If Petrino had nothing to do with developing that talent then what's your point?  Not to mention that a good number of Petrino's last two recruiting classes never played, or made a significant contribution to the program.

Razorbax

Who said anything about development? You mention players in your first year...Recognize the quote below? First year....No mention of development. Only the players they had when they started. All I did was point out the fallacy of CBP having the better players in the first year when you consider that CBB, by a margin of 2-1, was gifted with more NFL draftees.

If you want to argue player development lets start another thread. All I know is he had the less from HDN in talent and still won and a higher clip.

Quote from: hawganatic on December 07, 2016, 07:26:44 pm
You're not making any sense.  If Petrino had nothing to do with developing that talent then what's your point?  Not to mention that a good number of Petrino's last two recruiting classes never played, or made a significant contribution to the program.

ArkansasI

Quote from: S.A.D.C on December 07, 2016, 04:17:32 pm
If CBP was on fire I don't think I would piss on him to put it out... But I am so sick of people on here acting like he isn't/wasn't a great coach.  The guy is an offensive genius and that is just a fact.  He wins at college football no matter where it is.  The fact is he coached Arkansas in two of their best seasons ever.  And this school might never have a coach as good or better than him at the X's and O's.  That has nothing to do with BB.  That has nothing to do with anything except history.  He ruined it and that is his fault.  But how it ended doesn't change the record book. 

By the same token:  the desire of some to make BB's tenure thus far a total failure is mind-blowing.  Have there been some disappointments?  Of course.  But he has performed about at the average level for Arkansas over time, after inheriting a mess.  He obviously has 1 or 2 more years here to write the rest of the story and there is reason for both doubt and hope.

Extremists are almost never right.
Thank you.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on December 07, 2016, 03:50:47 pm
where are they?

What are you talking about?

Denver Kirkland - NFL
Alex Collins - NFL
Hunter Henry - NFL
Dan Skipper - Will have a shot at the NFL
Jeremy Sprenkle - Will have a shot
Frank Ragnow - Will play in the NFL
Jared Cornelius - Serious talent
Our 2nd team QB/TE (forgot his name) - NFL

Of course, there are others that can play. Ryan Pulley is a talented guy. We'd all like to see more from our defense.

Significantly, only Hunter and Sprenkle are Arkansans. Not sure Agim comes to Arkansas without Bret as our coach.  I don't think RWIII or Whaley are in Fayetteville without Bret.

We've got room to grow, but Bret is building this thing. Getting some juniors to the NFL affected year 4. It's a bit of a mixed bag.

Let's put down the pitchforks and torches and see who might be brought in to shore things up.

hawganatic

Quote from: Razorbax on December 07, 2016, 07:40:35 pm
Who said anything about development? You mention players in your first year...Recognize the quote below? First year....No mention of development. Only the players they had when they started. All I did was point out the fallacy of CBP having the better players in the first year when you consider that CBB, by a margin of 2-1, was gifted with more NFL draftees.

If you want to argue player development lets start another thread. All I know is he had the less from HDN in talent and still won and a higher clip.

NFL draftees four years after that fact has absolutely nothing to do with the talent they had on campus when they stepped on campus.  Saying that Beliema inherited NFL talent insinuates he had a chalked team, ready to play, that were already marked for the NFL.  Name the players Beliema inherited that fit this description.

Petrino's last two recruting classes were ranked mid to low 20's.  How is that handing somebody an NFL roster, as you claim?