Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Tommy Tubberville make a good Defensive Coordinator

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, December 04, 2016, 07:39:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

Just curious as BB has a thing for hiring former/present Head Coaches as Coordinator's.

Tommy Tuberville was one of the top candidates for the Arkansas position in 1997, but the Camden native didn't get the job when former athletic director Frank Broyles selected Houston Nutt to lead his program.

Tuberville was reportedly considered again in 2007, when the Razorbacks were looking for Nutt's replacement. Athletic director Jeff Long chose Bobby Petrino.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Sooie71923

No. like Butch Davis, past his prime and out played.

Why must people drool over "names" in the coaching world, past or present.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Sooie71923 on December 04, 2016, 07:41:38 pm
No. like Butch Davis, past his prime and out played.

Why must people drool over "names" in the coaching world, past or present.

Wasn't drooling just thought he may be considered.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

gchamblee

he lacks the character cbb looks for in players and coaches

Sooie71923

Arkansas has jerked TT around so many times he wouldn't even think about an offer. Not that there would ever be one.  Ever.

Hawg Life

gchamblee

he was at dinner with a recruit and his parents while at ttech. he got the job at cincy, said he was going to the restroom and left the family and recruit sitting at the dinner table to pay their own tab and never to be seen again. this is not the kind of man id like to have on the sideline, and not the kind of man cbb would ever hire.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

longpig

Slapped a GA around on the TTech sideline during a game too. Real classy no wonder he and Auburn got along for a while.

edit: gave him a love tap
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Torqued pork

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 04, 2016, 07:39:53 pm
Just curious as BB has a thing for hiring former/present Head Coaches as Coordinator's.

Tommy Tuberville was one of the top candidates for the Arkansas position in 1997, but the Camden native didn't get the job when former athletic director Frank Broyles selected Houston Nutt to lead his program.

Tuberville was reportedly considered again in 2007, when the Razorbacks were looking for Nutt's replacement. Athletic director Jeff Long chose Bobby Petrino.
For the record itwas John White's search committee that selected Nutt over Tuberville. Broyles and Bill Montgomery were the last two people who mattered to go along with the decision.

WilsonHog

Tommy had a pretty good run at Auburn; not so much after he sat out a year and went first to Texas Tech and then Cincinnati. I won't be surprised if he retired.

YAZ

nwahogfan1

Lets go get a younger, hungrier coach who is also a great recruiter in Texas.  Maybe from a smaller school in Texas. 

texas tush hog

The bigger question is how soon UC prepares an offer for Dan Enos.

Calling All Hogs

TT telling a fan to go to hell is nothing. Abe Lemons once gave me the middle finger at a Hog basketball game back in the day. I was honored.

Sooie71923

I hate this "great recruiter" tag everyone throws around.

A recruiter is only as good as the school he recruits to. 

goodguytex

December 04, 2016, 08:46:22 pm #17 Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:51:19 am by goodguytex
Quote from: WilsonHog on December 04, 2016, 08:37:29 pm
Tommy had a pretty good run at Auburn; not so much after he sat out a year and went first to Texas Tech and then Cincinnati. I won't be surprised if he retired.
Tubberville does know the SEC inside and out. I think he'd do a great job as DC of Arkansas if he got that job. But I doubt his pride would let him take a DC position. He may settle for a HC position somewhere in the south at a smaller school or like you said, probably just retire.

Sooie71923

He should retire into the moonlight.

The only time TT is relevant is during a coaching drool fest on hogville.

AirWarren

Sivad

No. That is incorrect.
Broyles wanted Tuberville but John White's committee due to the obstinance of Quinn Grovey who refused to even consider any other candidate but Houston Dale Nutt overruled Broyles.

sickboy

The answer is clearly nobody knows. He might still have gas in the tank. Who knows. I'll let BB make that decision. Which precludes that he's made the decision to fire our current D.C.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 04, 2016, 08:45:34 pm
TT telling a fan to go to hell is nothing. Abe Lemons once gave me the middle finger at a Hog basketball game back in the day. I was honored.

I forget. Was that Abe or Guy that had to be restrained from going into the stands after someone while walking off the court in Barnhill one time?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

King Kong

December 05, 2016, 06:47:19 am #23 Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:29:02 am by King Kong
Quote from: texas tush hog on December 04, 2016, 08:43:36 pm

The bigger question is how soon UC prepares an offer for Dan Enos.

Not even in their top 3. I think you underestimate Cincy's ability to get good already experienced coaches. Last two coaches Butch Jones and Brian Kelly

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomGroeschen/status/805593626856345600

PonderinHog

Quote from: AP85 on December 04, 2016, 09:19:24 pm
No.

Sick of people wanting these "hometown boys"
Hows about Tommy and Charlie as "defensive consultants."   Take a page out of the Bama playbook.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 05, 2016, 06:23:30 am
I forget. Was that Abe or Guy that had to be restrained from going into the stands after someone while walking off the court in Barnhill one time?
Sounds more like something Guy did.

Beavthompson

Calling for the coaches job. What a bunch of cry babies. Students were upset and went to the designated safe zones after coach said shut up and get a job. You can't tell kids these days such harsh and cruel things like get a job, have responsibility, or its your fault. That's not acceptable in this society.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

jgphillips3

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 06, 2016, 11:41:49 pm
Sounds more like something Guy did.

Yes it does but I can't remember which one. I do remember seeing a video of it after it happened. He had to be restrained from going into the stands. It was interesting that the opponents had to walk under the Hogwild band section next to the students to get to the opponents locker room. Some of them really caught some interesting language.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

carolinahogger

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 04, 2016, 08:45:34 pm

Damn!  That is an honor.  Lemons was a colorful guy, good for the sport.

Trystran

I can't help but to crack up a little bit... we went from the last few years being like "I hope we don't lose any coaches..." and "Give that man a raise!" to "Somebody PLEASE come take these coaches off our hands!"

"We need continuity!"
"We need changes!"
"We need better recruiting!"
"We need better player development!"

All I can say is we need to be less terrible by any means necessary other than cheating. Lol. I admit though... when bad stuff has happened in the past, it was fun and exciting to check the boards and speculate on the coaching changes. It took away some of the sting and gave some extra hope of getting better. This play like crap and stay the course thing does nothing to wash the taste out of your mouth.

I feel like it's quicksand for CBB... you gotta move to get out, but it can make you sink faster... standing still accomplishes nothing except maybe sinking slower. He has prided himself on upgrading when losing assistants in the past. Hard to imagine the idea of him thinking he couldn't get better than what he has on the defensive side of the ball. It makes you wonder what all came out of the wordwork to interview over the last few years, and if it had any impact on current views.

1highhog

Quote from: goodguytex on December 04, 2016, 08:46:22 pm
Tubberville does know the SEC inside and out. I think he'd do a great job as DC of Arkansas if he got that job. But I doubt his pride would let him take a DC position. He may settle for a HC position somewhere in the south at a smaller school or like you said, probably just retire.

No he wouldn't.  Times have passed him by with these new spread offenses and such, and he's not someone I'd want recruiting for us, I think he's to old, and not someone who would put there best into recruiting or coaching any longer.

26.2Hog

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 07, 2016, 08:30:29 am
Damn!  That is an honor.  Lemons was a colorful guy, good for the sport.

Just a few of Abe's quotes:

I hope they notice the mistletoe tied to my coattails as I leave town.

I don't jog; if I die I want to be sick.

If they want to stop illegal recruiting, just give every coach the same amount of money and tell them they can keep what's left over.

You may be big in New York, but in Walters, Oklahoma, you're nobody. (told to Howard Cosell)

How hard is it to coach track? ... tell 'em to stay to the left and get back as fast as you can.

We don't pray after a game... that's too late.