Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official: We get Virginia Tech in the Belk Bowl

Started by WilsonHog, December 04, 2016, 08:42:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

December 04, 2016, 08:42:02 am Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:10:48 pm by WilsonHog
That's where both Schlabach and McMurphy from ESPN have us. Strangely enough, while disagreeing all season, they are now in complete agreement on every bowl match up.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

longpig

3 hours from Blacksburg, 18 hours from Fayetteville.  They not want our money?
Don't be scared, be smart.

hogcard1964

dallashog83

CBS Sports had this match up this morning also.  If our defense doesnt show up it wont matter who or where we play.  NO matter where we play the only thing I am hoping for is for us to play like we did against Florida.  Probably wont happen but that is my hope.

BigE_23

Quote from: dallashog83 on December 04, 2016, 08:48:41 am
CBS Sports had this match up this morning also.  If our defense doesnt show up it wont matter who or where we play.  NO matter where we play the only thing I am hoping for is for us to play like we did against Florida.  Probably wont happen but that is my hope.

Or for whoever we play to perform the way Florida did against us...

hogcard1964

Quote from: longpig on December 04, 2016, 08:46:04 am
3 hours from Blacksburg, 18 hours from Fayetteville.  They not want our money?

We'd send about nobody there.  Not going to happen.

longpig

Here's the part I don't get with the bowl matchup predictions.  There's a log jam of SEC qualifiers with 6 to 8 wins which makes it easy to keep everyone close to home.  Why send us all the way to Charlotte and an SEC East team this direction to Shreveport or Houston?  It's completely ignoring ticket sales and local businesses to do this. 

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AndyBitterVT/status/805321528929878016

QuoteHokies will find out their bowl destination Sunday. Clemson will get to the College Football Playoff, with either Florida State or Louisville (whoever is ranked higher) taking the Tigers' spot in the Orange Bowl. The Citrus Bowl and Russell Athletic Bowl are next, followed by the Tier I bowls. Of that group, TaxSlayer (Jacksonville) and Belk (Charlotte) are the most likely for Tech.

The bowls might have some concern about Orlando fatigue and inviting the Hokies back to a city that's not easy to get to so soon after this game. But given the way Tech played, and given that it was an entertaining brand of football, you wonder if that might lessen some of those concerns.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

longpig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 04, 2016, 08:55:36 am

The ACC Championship game looked about 1/4 empty.  If V Tech fans can't be bothered to make the trip to central Florida for a big game like that, why would they bother going to Charlotte to freeze their asses off and watch a matchup with an unranked unfamiliar opponent?

ricepig

Quote from: hogcods8 on December 04, 2016, 09:04:02 am
I welcome the matchup, although i sense that a lot of moron fans prefer another matchup with Texas in Houston or another exciting matchup with kstate in Memphis.

Yeah, but with a running QB and 8ft tall TE/WR, it might be ugly........we'll have to out score them to win.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 6m6 minutes ago

Week 14 SEC bowl projections: Last-minute look before College Football Playoff, Selection Sunday decisions  Belk (Dec. 29, Charlotte)    Arkansas

QuoteBelk Bowl might prefer South Carolina for geographic reasons, but it's been reported by multiple outlets that the SEC may well assign Arkansas (7-5) to Charlotte regardless because of its record and overall resume. Pittsburgh is a strong candidate for the Russell Athletic Bowl, since that would allow for a matchup with rival West Virginia. Meaning Virginia Tech has a strong likelihood of facing the Razorbacks in the Belk.

Hamstein

On the VTScoop board they seem to think they're going to the Belk Bowl against the Hogs. They showing little respect for the Razorbacks, and think they deserve a better opponent.

jbcarol

Multiple Media Outlets finally release bowl projections

QuoteCBS Sports
Belk Bowl: Arkansas vs. Virginia Tech

SB Nation
Belk Bowl: Arkansas vs. Miami (Fla.)

USA Today
Belk Bowl: Arkansas vs. North Carolina

ESPN (Inside Track)
Belk Bowl: Arkansas vs. Virginia Tech (McMurphy); Arkansas vs. Virginia Tech (Schlabach)

http://belkbowl.com/tickets

rljjr

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 04, 2016, 08:55:36 am

That's so much BS. We travel better than most. There will be a ton of Hog fans in Charlotte.

hogcard1964

Quote from: longpig on December 04, 2016, 09:23:51 am
And looks like we're going to the Belk, and by we I mean the football program and not the fans.  That makes it the worst we could hope for.  Know what a map is?

Long's got some pull. He won't accept the Belk.

Dr. Starcs

December 04, 2016, 09:27:17 am #16 Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:42:05 am by Dr. Starcs
Virginia Tech? Yikes.

If Barry Odom and company outcoached us, I'd be scared to think what Fuente and Foster would do.

Jeff is probably too busy figuring out how to screw over Washington in the playoff anyway.

(Excuse my anger, I am still a little bitter over last Friday's meltdown)

longpig

Quote from: rljjr on December 04, 2016, 09:25:07 am
That's so much BS. We travel better than most. There will be a ton of Hog fans in Charlotte.

Sounds about right,  when you figure a ton of hog fans at 2,000 lb/200 lb = 10 fans.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quite a few in here seem to know a lot about what Jeff Long is thinking, yet have never heard of teams having to travel to go to bowl games.

Didn't Mississippi State go to this bowl with a very similar (better, actually) record?

It's not all about geography.

I question anyone who'd prefer Shreveport over Charlotte.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 04, 2016, 08:46:16 am
Won't be the Belk.

I have looked up 6 projections by various national media made since the games of yesterday were completed, and ALL of them have us in Charlotte; most against Va Tech, though one has us playing Georgia Tech.  But no one has us anywhere by the Belk.

You may be right, but it will be a major surprise at this point.

fullfan

WilsonHog

Hogcods8 and longpig, we're trying to talk about a possible bowl here, and you two are screwing it up by attacking each other. I've removed several of your posts in this thread; if I have to remove another one, the offending party will get at least a two-week vacation.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 04, 2016, 09:25:25 am

Long is going to use his alleged pull to try to get us out of a better bowl so we can go to Shreveport and beat up on a terrible team?

What happened to rewarding the players?  Not only that, but our fans complain non-stop that the SEC office and the media always give Arkansas the short end of the stick.  Now we're openly rooting for a trip to the worst bowl game available...mainly so we can avoid what we perceive to be a team that might beat us?

Kevin

It is not a recruiting advantage either. At least Shreveport, coach m. Smith could gets lots of recruits there for practices
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Temprees

What makes you believe that you speak for all Hog fans. I know a good number that's going to Charlotte should that be the destination.   How many fans do you think you can speak for? 1? 2? 5? 10? Tex?

longpig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 04, 2016, 09:25:25 am

He pulls that off and I'll never make fun of his forced smile again.

jlhogfan

What would be considered a good travel showing? 10K, 15K, etc... 

Temprees

Quote from: longpig on December 04, 2016, 09:34:05 am
Sounds about right,  when you figure a ton of hog fans at 2,000 lb/200 lb = 10 fans.
Just because you can't afford to go, stop trying to rain on everyone's parade.

longpig

Quote from: Temprees on December 04, 2016, 09:52:27 am
What makes you believe that you speak for all Hog fans. I know a good number that's going to Charlotte should that be the destination.   How many fans do you think you can speak for? 1? 2? 5? 10? good number? Tex?

fify

ricepig

Quote from: jlhogfan on December 04, 2016, 09:54:26 am

longpig

Quote from: Temprees on December 04, 2016, 09:55:01 am
Just because you can't afford to go, stop trying to rain on everyone's parade.

I'm going, actually.  Me and hopefully about 15k other Razorback fans. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: jlhogfan on December 04, 2016, 09:54:26 am

15 - 20k.   It wouldn't happen.

longpig

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 04, 2016, 10:04:02 am
Whats our allotment to sell?

Interwebs says it's been from 7000-15,000 over the past few years, it's varied from year to year.

hogcard1964

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 04, 2016, 10:04:02 am
Whats our allotment to sell?

Not sure, but everyone needs to calm down.  The same thing happened last year on this day when it was leaked early in the day that we were going to the Birmingham Bowl to play East Carolina or Tulsa.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rljjr on December 04, 2016, 09:25:07 am

A ton is a lot but not enough. Charlotte in the winter.........not exactly a long drive destination.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcods8

What a legit bowl game for a change. Hope they are correct. Believe it or not, for each bowl game, at least one of the teams have to travel. Looks like this is our turn! I couldn't stand another Texas or KState matchup.

WilsonHog

My only experience with bowls was a long time ago, in December of 1995 after we won the SEC West. We received a bid to the Carquest Bowl in Miami, against North Carolina. I was in the traveling party as part of my job duties with the SID. Joe Robbie Stadium wound up being virtually empty, but south Florida was pretty nice.

However, what struck me about the whole process was that it was a foregone conclusion that the university would lose money and that Razorback fans probably would not travel to south Florida in large numbers. It wasn't about either of those, however; it was about giving the players as nice a trip as possible.

HoopS

Early in the process they send out order forms for each prospective bowl, right? We must have pledged a decent number to go.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 04, 2016, 10:13:10 am
A ton is a lot but not enough. Charlotte in the winter.........not exactly a long drive destination.

For all you Willard Scott fans.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/charlotte-nc/28202/december-weather/349818

hogcard1964

Thursday, December 29th at 4:30.    ;)

hogcard1964

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 04, 2016, 10:17:16 am

Between 48 and 59.  Can't beat that.   ;)

I'm sorry, but if this happens, this is almost a worst case scenario.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 04, 2016, 10:17:16 am

Average December 29 high in Charlotte is 51.  In Shreveport it is 57.  You're not going to be wearing your Speedo around the pool in either.

hogcard1964

This is probably South Carolina's or Georgia's bowl.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 04, 2016, 08:42:02 am
That's where both Schlabach and McMurphy from ESPN have us. Strangely enough, while disagreeing all season, they are now in complete agreement on every bowl match up.

They have inside info.

See, nothing to worry about.  VaTech looked like a real football team pushing Clemson last night.  They manage Arkansas that well and its an easy Belk Bowl win.  Afterwards on CBB's counsel Robb Smith gives up football and enters a monastery in Tibet seeking enlightenment.

PorkRinds

longpig