Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Associate" head coach?

Started by NuttinItUp, January 15, 2018, 09:39:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

What is the difference between an "assistant" head coach and an "associate" head coach? I have seen "assistant" head coach listed for some teams, and some teams even have both "assistant" head coaches and "associate" head coaches listed. (Ohio St is one example that lists both.)

I assume "associate" head coaches take over as interim head coach in the event the head coach is let go. Is it really just a title thing other than that? I assume no one would rather be "associate" head coach than OC/DC.

NuttinItUp

Yamahog

If you have an answer to that, the Support Staff has Quality Control for Defense and Special Teams. What are their duties or input?

jgphillips3

I'm betting it's an evolution of terminology just like how secretaries became administrative assistants, etc.  Associate sounds better even if it means the same thing.  Also though, I'm sure whenever the head coach is out of state he handles the administrative duties of the head coach in a way similar to Governor-Lieutenant Governor.

WOOPIGDOOIE

NuttinItUp

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 15, 2018, 09:48:31 am
I'm betting it's an evolution of terminology just like how secretaries became administrative assistants, etc.  Associate sounds better even if it means the same thing.  Also though, I'm sure whenever the head coach is out of state he handles the administrative duties of the head coach in a way similar to Governor-Lieutenant Governor.

So what about teams (like the OSU example I gave) that list both "associate" and "assistant" head coaches?

NoogaHog

So who's coaching Special Teams?
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 15, 2018, 09:49:20 am
Where's ricepig?
Wondering if he'll be named Associate Message Board Director.

ricepig

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on January 15, 2018, 10:01:59 am
Wondering if he'll be named Associate Message Board Director.

Too old, they said with Chavis, Caldwell, and Cooper they didn't have enough GA's to mash up our food......

Associate HC is generally a way to give a position coach more money, you know so it doesn't appear you have any favorites amongst the staff.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: MissippHog on January 15, 2018, 09:55:26 am
Here you go

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+the+difference+between+an+assistant+and+associate+head+coach

The first link doesn't really answer the question, the second link talks about NBA coaches (irrelevant), the third link gives conflicting information about whether assistant or associate is higher ranked, the fourth link talks about baseball, the fifth link gives no real info, the sixth link is about wrestling, the seventh link is about hockey....etc....

I know you were trying to be clever, but sometimes people actually do google it before they ask a question and still do not have the answer....which is why they ask...

NuttinItUp

greenie

This is typical academic hierarchy. 

Professor > Associate Professor > Assistant Professor > Staff/Adjunct > Grad Student/GA/TA
NOTE: at most universities, tenure is required to move above the Assistant Prof level

Head Coach > Associate Head Coach > Assistant Head Coach > ....

Mostly done to give the appearance of responsibility/experience and thus $$$

Oklahawg

Quote from: greenie on January 15, 2018, 10:21:33 am

Professor > Associate Professor > Assistant Professor > Staff/Adjunct > Grad Student/GA/TA
NOTE: at most universities, tenure is required to move above the Assistant Prof level

And, as noted, the associate HC is the designated guy should something happen to the HC. No need to worry about pecking order.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 15, 2018, 10:15:03 am
Apparently Morris is splitting up the special teams duties amongst several coaches:

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Special-teams-duties-to-be-split-up-on-Chad-Morris-Arkansas-Razorbacks-staff-113575773

Very common these days. One in charge (coordinator) but several assisting, not unlike having an OC and several offensive position coaches.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogShat

Got some family that played for Traylor at Gilmer TX. Sick record. 175/26 over 15 seasons. Assured me we would be impressed with his production.

kibster

The Associate Head Coach takes over coaching duties when the coach is out of the state.  He also is video conferenced in to meetings because you can't have all of the coaches in one place in the event of a terrorist attack.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

onebadrubi

Quote from: MissippHog on January 15, 2018, 09:55:26 am
Here you go

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+the+difference+between+an+assistant+and+associate+head+coach

lmgtfy is always a great way to prove one can be a prick, however it's funny when they want to be a prick, they do the lmgtfy thing and the hogville post he is posting in is the third source on google.  Only proceeded by reddit and aufamily. 

onebadrubi

didn't Bielema give Pittman the associate head title as well?  We all around here just thought it was a ploy to pay him more...

LZH

FANONTHEHILL

This is just a question and hopefully someone can answer.  Are salaries and their ranges dictated by job descriptions?  The reason I ask is that I definitely remember back when Coach Richardson and Coach Broyles were having their issues, one of Nolan's points was that his "title" of associate AD was simply a title and he was given no responsibilities that would go with that title.  That's why I'm curious if titles and expanded titles such as "associate" or "assistant" are just a way to pay more within the system and are nothing more than titles.  If anyone knows, please share.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ricepig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 15, 2018, 12:05:33 pm
This is just a question and hopefully someone can answer.  Are salaries and their ranges dictated by job descriptions?  The reason I ask is that I definitely remember back when Coach Richardson and Coach Broyles were having their issues, one of Nolan's points was that his "title" of associate AD was simply a title and he was given no responsibilities that would go with that title.  That's why I'm curious if titles and expanded titles such as "associate" or "assistant" are just a way to pay more within the system and are nothing more than titles.  If anyone knows, please share.

They may be like a banking friend of mine told me when I congratulated him on a promotion from Asst V.P to Execute V.P., I asked if he got a nice raise too, he said, "no, they just gave out new titles this year".

NoogaHog

Quote from: kibster on January 15, 2018, 11:43:08 am
The Associate Head Coach takes over coaching duties when the coach is out of the state.  He also is video conferenced in to meetings because you can't have all of the coaches in one place in the event of a terrorist attack.

They probably hide him in a bunker somewhere near Damascus or Bee Branch for the Alabama game.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2018, 12:28:07 pm
They may be like a banking friend of mine told me when I congratulated him on a promotion from Asst V.P to Execute V.P., I asked if he got a nice raise too, he said, "no, they just gave out new titles this year".

That is spread across the corporate world as we know it now. 

SONofHAM

Assistant to the regional manager?
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

Paul

the main difference between "associate head coach" & "assistant head coach" is usually $100-150K per year.

HogPharmer

Quote from: SONofHAM on January 15, 2018, 04:06:24 pm
Assistant to the regional manager?

Don't tell Shrute that around here.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

PorkSoda

didn't realize caldwell was from A-state.  do you think he's a mole?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

oldhawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 15, 2018, 12:05:33 pm

That's the way it was some years back, can't vouch for the system today one way or the other.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 15, 2018, 07:26:45 pm
didn't realize caldwell was from A-state.  do you think he's a mole?

No doubt......

East Clintwood

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 15, 2018, 10:15:03 am
Apparently Morris is splitting up the special teams duties amongst several coaches:

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Special-teams-duties-to-be-split-up-on-Chad-Morris-Arkansas-Razorbacks-staff-113575773

He's barely even been here a month and he's already picking up Bert's bad habits.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HoggyCat

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 15, 2018, 09:43:10 am
Also, 247sports needs to get a new profile pic for Jeff Traylor (link). That orange is unbecoming of a Razorback coach...

::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

Yet some certain coach allowed a former texass player bring his helmet.....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: greenie on January 15, 2018, 10:21:33 am

So associate is ahead of OC or DC? That doesn't seem right...

twistitup

I'm hiring an Associate Director of Gameday Concessions - ADGC

He will be in charge of hiring an Assistant Associate Director of Gameday Concessions - AADGC

This job ain't easy...trust me

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 15, 2018, 11:38:33 pm
So associate is ahead of OC or DC? That doesn't seem right...

Follow the money......

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....