Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Patriot Hogs (NFL)

Started by Arctic Hog, January 13, 2018, 07:35:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Hog

Was pretty cool to hear the announcers say Dietrich Wise and Trey Flowers up the middle for the Patriots.  Too bad I hate the Patriots, LOL.  😂

RebHog

Quote from: Arctic Hog on January 13, 2018, 07:35:52 pm
Was pretty cool to hear the announcers say Dietrich Wise and Trey Flowers up the middle for the Patriots.  Too bad I hate the Patriots, LOL.  😂

I feel ya man it rips at my soul that so many hogs are on the patriots team  :'( :'( :'(

ChicoHog

I bet on the Pats today so I am rooting for them.  Usually I don't care about and don't watch much NFL but since the playoffs started I have been watching more (and betting).

WOOPIGDOOIE

Wise with 2 sacks, Flowers with 1

welchog

I don't watch nfl.  Seems with the talent we gave the pats, we could have done more with while they were here.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: welchog on January 14, 2018, 07:34:27 am
I don't watch nfl.  Seems with the talent we gave the pats, we could have done more with while they were here.

Makes a big difference in college when an offense has to worry about 1 or 2 guys killing you.  In the NFL it's all 11.  Deatrich would have done more here had he been healthy his final two years.  Broken hand, chronic bad foot, separated shoulder.  It's amazing he did what he did while here.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

EastexHawg

Speaking of amazing, it's amazing how much defensive line talent John L. Smith and Bielema inherited...at least five guys who were on NFL rosters this year.

Wise
Flowers
Philon
Chris Smith
Robert Thomas

That's Alabama talent.  No wonder Big Boy had an outstanding defense one year. 

One other thing to note is that those were all out of state guys, so it wasn't a matter of "getting lucky" with Arkansas producing a lot of talent at one time.  In other words, it can be done.

hoglady

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2018, 08:05:09 am
Speaking of amazing, it's amazing how much defensive line talent John L. Smith and Bielema inherited...at least five guys who were on NFL rosters this year.

Wise
Flowers
Philon
Chris Smith
Robert Thomas

One other thing to note is that those were all out of state guys, so it wasn't a matter of "getting lucky" with Arkansas producing a lot of talent at one time.  In other words, it can be done.

That can't be - I've been told Petrino didn't care about defense and recruited terribly on that side of the ball.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: hoglady on January 14, 2018, 08:15:40 am
That can't be - I've been told Petrino didn't care about defense and recruited terribly on that side of the ball.

Worth noting that Steve Caldwell was coaching DL under Petrino and got that group to campus. Getting Caldwell back is a big a hire as any other.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

TebowHater

Wise
Flowers
Philon
Chris Smith
Robert Thomas

Don't forget about Spaight at LB, too (sure CBB may have helped get him here, just meaning the talent we had). Filthy.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2018, 08:27:09 am
Worth noting that Steve Caldwell was coaching DL under Petrino and got that group to campus. Getting Caldwell back is a big a hire as any other.

Very nice point.

IronHog

Wise
Flowers
Philon
Chris Smith
Robert Thomas

He also had Byron Jones his 1st year.

Wasn't an NFLer but a steady starter in the middle almost every game for 4 years.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: TebowHater on January 14, 2018, 08:39:38 am
Don't forget about Spaight at LB, too (sure CBB may have helped get him here, just meaning the talent we had). Filthy.

A REAL linebacker falls in his lap.

Gets one year of play from him 🙄

sooie84

I think that the Patriots are also maxing out their talent as well. Leaning these guys up has improved their speed and production. Also interesting to see that Wises feet problems aren't seeming to continue. One footed 350 pound leg squats anyone?

The NewEra

This can't be overstated.  Steve Caldwell back with the Razorbacks is a huge get.  He's supposed to be a master at evaluating then recruiting that talent.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2018, 07:46:09 am
Makes a big difference in college when an offense has to worry about 1 or 2 guys killing you.  In the NFL it's all 11.  Deatrich would have done more here had he been healthy his final two years.  Broken hand, chronic bad foot, separated shoulder.  It's amazing he did what he did while here.
Wise gave all he could. Nothing but respect he played through some really tough injuries and never mentioned them. He's a warrior!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: The NewEra on January 14, 2018, 09:31:33 am
This can't be overstated.  Steve Caldwell back with the Razorbacks is a huge get.  He's supposed to be a master at evaluating then recruiting that talent.

Huge hire in Caldwell. He's the best at both coaching and evaluating and the third he recruits.

Hogs run wild

i was wondering if Cody Hollister was on the team...sure 'nough...  http://www.patriots.com/team/players/roster/cody-hollister
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

TebowHater

Quote from: Hogs run wild on January 14, 2018, 09:41:39 am
i was wondering if Cody Hollister was on the team...sure 'nough...  http://www.patriots.com/team/players/roster/cody-hollister

He and his twin brother both! His twin has been on the active roster most of the year, Cody has been a key on their practice squad.

Mjs84

Either Kraft or Belicheck has a taste for Razorback talent.  Patriots are my favorite NFL team.

Dan42AR

I think that was probably true about him before he was hired here. But I thought after his first year or two here that he saw that he would also have to have a good defense to win in the sec and was taking steps to correct it.

redeye

And hopefully we'll have a better secondary this time, with Cooper and Smith.  It's interesting that we have 2 secondary coaches, but I assume that's because they'll have a greater challenge in Chavis' system.

Quote from: IronHog on January 14, 2018, 09:11:04 am

He also had Byron Jones his 1st year.

Wasn't an NFLer but a steady starter in the middle almost every game for 4 years.

Ironically, I believe Byron Jones was rated higher than any of them, coming out of high school.  I think he was the only 4* among them.

Arkansas Fan

Petrino's recruiting did suck. Shove your Petrino propaganda...

SugarHillGaHog

I don't feel it's about recuriting or coaching here.  I feel it's about what the young men did with it or in spite if their expereince here.  They ran with their talent and it was noticed.  Good for them.

IronHog

Quote from: redeye on January 14, 2018, 11:01:53 pm
And hopefully we'll have a better secondary this time, with Cooper and Smith.  It's interesting that we have 2 secondary coaches, but I assume that's because they'll have a greater challenge in Chavis' system.

Ironically, I believe Byron Jones was rated higher than any of them, coming out of high school.  I think he was the only 4* among them.

Byron and DD Jones were both 4* from the LA/LA border and solid, multi-year starters for Hogs that didn't happen to move on to the NFL.

Not all legit SEC players are NFL players.

NuttinItUp

What about the Triangle Razorbacks of Denmark?

EastexHawg

Quote from: IronHog on January 15, 2018, 12:15:52 am

Byron and DD Jones were both 4* from the LA/LA border and solid, multi-year starters for Hogs that didn’t happen to move on to the NFL.

Not all legit SEC players are NFL players.

Taiwan Johnson had nine tackles for loss, five sacks, two fumble recoveries, and scored a TD with a fumble in 2014.  For his career he had 18 TFL and eight sacks.  He started the last 39 games of his career.  He was another out of state kid.

Iwastherein1969

Wise
Flowers
Philon
Chris Smith
Robert Thomas

Oh, and the oft spoken MYTH on Hogville that Bobby Petrino cannot recruit defensive players can forever be flushed down the crapper. Whoever started that BS in this forum is full of what he was spouting.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 15, 2018, 10:41:56 am
Oh, and the oft spoken MYTH on Hogville that Bobby Petrino cannot recruit defensive players can forever be flushed down the crapper. Whoever started that BS in this forum is full of what he was spouting.

I think Petrino recruited defensive players, I just don't know if he ever spoke to them after the home visit!  Seriously though, he had a good defensive staff and it's great to have Caldwell back recruiting.

The NewEra

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 15, 2018, 11:00:02 am
I think Petrino recruited defensive players, I just don't know if he ever spoke to them after the home visit!  Seriously though, he had a good defensive staff and it's great to have Caldwell back recruiting.

From everything I've heard post Petrino, it seems our defensive problems were a result of the practices being solely focused on offensive output, rather than challenging and coaching up both sides of the ball.  If that's the case, then the defensive coaches that were here under Petrino did a very good job given the one sided approach to perfecting the offense.

Atlhogfan1

Wow. We had a couple of good dlinemen and de's spread out over a few classes.  Probably why we had a competent defense for that one season in 2014.  It's a wonder our SECW competition and their 1st and 2nd round defensive picks could compete with us.  Wish we had some qb depth and had not needed to force olinemen to play before they were ready. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

IronHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 15, 2018, 10:32:43 am
Taiwan Johnson had nine tackles for loss, five sacks, two fumble recoveries, and scored a TD with a fumble in 2014.  For his career he had 18 TFL and eight sacks.  He started the last 39 games of his career.  He was another out of state kid.

Solid player before they over bulked him.

Demarcus Hodge had a very nice senior season after finally slimming down.  That's before S&C went totally off the rails.

Compare with B. Jackson who played too heavy his entire career at Arkansas.  Underperformed for a player of his talent

urkillnmesmalls

It's really bizarre how BB seems to bring in Razorbacks.  I wonder if that has been the result of him believing they were developed well, and he's getting a bargain in the draft (or free agency), or if it's some other reason.  It does seem odd that he keeps taking them, and for the most part, they keep panning out. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

pigture perfect

Jake was also a member of the Pats. I sure wish he could have stayed healthy.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 15, 2018, 01:47:09 pm
Jake was also a member of the Pats. I sure wish he could have stayed healthy.
Have you heard what Jake is up to now?  It's a lot bigger than football.  He posted this when he finished Ranger school.

pigture perfect

I didn't know that. Go Army.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 15, 2018, 11:14:51 am
Wow. We had a couple of good dlinemen and de's spread out over a few classes.  Probably why we had a competent defense for that one season in 2014.  It's a wonder our SECW competition and their 1st and 2nd round defensive picks could compete with us.  Wish we had some qb depth and had not needed to force olinemen to play before they were ready.
you just cannot transcend to the level of fact that Bobby Petrino, personal flaws hidden, genius coach on display every Saturday at the UA, actually won 21 games in two years playing in the SEC West when it was at it's zenith....2011, November, day after Thanksgiving, the SEC West(in the national polls and the BCS) was ranked 1)LSU, 2) Alabama, and 3) Arkansas....a feat that dare I say will never happen again in any conference in D-1 football...so don't give me this, well the SEC wasn't as good back then because, overall, it was MUCH better in those days

IronHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 15, 2018, 02:36:00 pm
you just cannot transcend to the level of fact that Bobby Petrino, personal flaws hidden, genius coach on display every Saturday at the UA, actually won 21 games in two years playing in the SEC West when it was at it's zenith....2011, November, day after Thanksgiving, the SEC West(in the national polls and the BCS) was ranked 1)LSU, 2) Alabama, and 3) Arkansas....a feat that dare I say will never happen again in any conference in D-1 football...so don't give me this, well the SEC wasn't as good back then because, overall, it was MUCH better in those days

Agree

LZH

Atlhogfan1

Your reply doesn't relate to the post to which you replied.

The conf record of the SEC teams we beat in 2011 was 15-33.  The SEC was good. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 15, 2018, 09:13:10 pm
Your reply doesn't relate to the post to which you replied.

The conf record of the SEC teams we beat in 2011 was 15-33.  The SEC was good. 

The conference record of the two teams that beat us was 16-1, and the loss only happened because they played each other.  We also stomped South Carolina, who finished 11-2 and in the top ten, along with a 10 win Kansas State team that was ranked #8 when we played them.  A&M and Auburn were also top 15 until we beat them.

Other coaches and media personnel all over the country believed we were one of the five best teams in America.  It wasn't a Petrino fans pronouncement.

Arkansas "fans" who try to denigrate our players' and teams' accomplishments because of their own agendas should really be proud of themselves.  I know you must be.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 15, 2018, 10:47:23 pm
The conference record of the two teams that beat us was 16-1, and the loss only happened because they played each other.  We also stomped South Carolina, who finished 11-2 and in the top ten, along with a 10 win Kansas State team that was ranked #8 when we played them.  A&M and Auburn were also top 15 until we beat them.

Other coaches and media personnel all over the country believed we were one of the five best teams in America.  It wasn't a Petrino fans pronouncement.

Arkansas "fans" who try to denigrate our players' and teams' accomplishments because of their own agendas should really be proud of themselves.  I know you must be.

Yes, if you take out SC's 6-2 SEC record the conference record of the other 5 teams we beat was 9-31. 

K St had no athletes, speed and dropped a number of passes.  QB was mainly a runner.  Their ranking was based on record like ours.  Good team but not great. 

I've never disputed the ranking.  Rankings are usually based on record.  We ran up a great record that season taking care of business (barely in a couple of cases) against bad to mediocre teams.  We Virginia Teched that season. 

Our 2010 team was better. 

Didn't denigrate anyone.  It's sad, pathetic and embarrassing you keep holding onto that one season so much as if it was indication of what the program had become.  Mizzou had a 12 win and 11 win season since.  SC had multiple 11 win seasons under Spurrier.  Ole Miss won a Sugar Bowl. 

The NewEra

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 15, 2018, 01:53:17 pm
Have you heard what Jake is up to now?  It's a lot bigger than football.  He posted this when he finished Ranger school.

I did not know this.  Thanks for posting.  I hope Jake applies for and receives entrance into OCS.  We need leaders like him in the Rangers.

bennyl08

OSU, UO, and Stanford, all from the same division of the same conference were ranked 1, 2, and 3 in 2012.

Odds are three teams will take up the top 3 spots from the same division in the future as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 16, 2018, 03:13:59 pm
OSU, UO, and Stanford, all from the same division of the same conference were ranked 1, 2, and 3 in 2012.

Odds are three teams will take up the top 3 spots from the same division in the future as well.
the last Saturday in November ? surely you see the difference ?  How long did it take you fumbling through search engine after search engine to attempt to prove me wrong ? I'm sure you had a Chris Matthews moment when you found that obscure fact and it was likely in the first part of the season when few games had been played...never mind, I concede the tertiary point, feel better now ?

southarkhog06

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 17, 2018, 01:30:25 am
the last Saturday in November ? surely you see the difference ?  How long did it take you fumbling through search engine after search engine to attempt to prove me wrong ? I'm sure you had a Chris Matthews moment when you found that obscure fact and it was likely in the first part of the season when few games had been played...never mind, I concede the tertiary point, feel better now ?
Wow man chill its not that serious...

bennyl08

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 17, 2018, 01:30:25 am

First, I was going off of memory. So, the amount of time I spent researching that was zero. Second, why would I be fumbling through search engine after search engine? Research is my job, it's not something that I generally fumble around at doing. Two, under your scenario of me spending any amount of time researching at all, I wouldn't go through google, then yahoo, then bing, etc... That doesn't even make sense. That's not how anybody internets. I'd just go to espn with a historical week by week listing of rankings. So not only was your attempted insult not even correct, you don't even know enough about it to make any sort of intelligent insult.

EDIT: It wasn't even the last weekend of the regular season that the three secw teams were ranked at the top. It was the second to last weekend after we beat MSU and before we finished the regular season getting walloped by LSU. So, yeah, an interior season ranking isn't all that meaningful. Doesn't much matter if it's the 7th week or the 13th week in the grand scheme of things. Only ranking that truly matters is the final ranking, and the only other ranking with any significance is the one right before the bowl games/playoffs are announced. Being ranked at the top at any ranking before hand is a nice moral victory, but nothing more.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

wildturkey8

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 14, 2018, 11:23:51 pm
Petrino's recruiting did suck. Shove your Petrino propaganda...
Why don't you think before you post.  It will help you immensely.

GunnerHawg70

Is D. Wise Jr injured!?!? Haven't seen him on the field today...Trey is having a helluva game...

WaltonCollege

Flowers easily their best player on D