Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to get our swagger back by returning these three things

Started by LawyerHog50, January 12, 2018, 06:03:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LawyerHog50

Swagger comes from a mindset that is built during practice. As opposed to popular thought, swagger does not begin with winning games. It comes from a belief that you're 100% better than the guy across from you and it's time to put up or shut up. Will CCM do any of these three things to bring back our swagger?

1. Scrimmages with 175 plays. These high paced practices got our offense running like a well oiled machine. This builds the playbook, builds depth, and build perfection and accuracy with timing and routes, stamina, and so much more. Less thinking, more reaction, and therefore more speed. With CCM's philosophy on the HUNH maybe we can shoot for 200 or more plays in practices and scrimmages.

2. The sledgehammer finish for workout winners. Remember when the best offseason workout guy got "rewarded" with a sledgehammer and a rock to break up? The team would gather up and cheer on the winner, who would just about pass out from exhaustion by the end of it. It built a mentality that winners go the extra mile to be better than the rest, and it showed on the field. I hope we see our new S&C coach take up a Veltkamp trick or two. He knew how to build mental toughness.

3. The punching bag for disciplinary incidents. Players fight. They get mad. It happens, and if it doesn't, something is probably wrong with your players. A great way to handle it is to wear the players out with the old punching bag and then tear them a new one on the field when they miss an assignment from fatigue. Another great way to build endurance and good old "piss offedness." Beilema players got mentally soft. Football is a mean sport, where the meanest players will probably win. Good coaches channel that meanness onto the field.

"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

The OTR

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on January 12, 2018, 06:03:41 am
Swagger comes from a mindset that is built during practice. As opposed to popular thought, swagger does not begin with winning games. It comes from a belief that you're 100% better than the guy across from you and it's time to put up or shut up. Will CCM do any of these three things to bring back our swagger?

1. Scrimmages with 175 plays. These high paced practices got our offense running like a well oiled machine. This builds the playbook, builds depth, and build perfection and accuracy with timing and routes, stamina, and so much more. Less thinking, more reaction, and therefore more speed. With CCM's philosophy on the HUNH maybe we can shoot for 200 or more plays in practices and scrimmages.

2. The sledgehammer finish for workout winners. Remember when the best offseason workout guy got "rewarded" with a sledgehammer and a rock to break up? The team would gather up and cheer on the winner, who would just about pass out from exhaustion by the end of it. It built a mentality that winners go the extra mile to be better than the rest, and it showed on the field. I hope we see our new S&C coach take up a Veltkamp trick or two. He knew how to build mental toughness.

3. The punching bag for disciplinary incidents. Players fight. They get mad. It happens, and if it doesn't, something is probably wrong with your players. A great way to handle it is to wear the players out with the old punching bag and then tear them a new one on the field when they miss an assignment from fatigue. Another great way to build endurance and good old "piss offedness." Beilema players got mentally soft. Football is a mean sport, where the meanest players will probably win. Good coaches channel that meanness onto the field.

If I had a way to do it I'd forward this to Coach right now. I bet someone here can.  I especially like the parts about fighting and sledgehammers.  I don't know who you are or what kind of football background you have but I wish you were part of our coaching staff.

wildhogman

1: That's fine if they let BOTH sides of the ball practice full tilt for those 300 Plays and don't just STRESS offense. The defense needs to practice tackling, covering those receiver routes, cutting off the route trees, Pressuring the QB. 

2: Don't care what they use or how. But the results need to do just what you imply, physical and mental toughness to finish the job.  Fav quote from GI Jane.  "Pain is good, it lets you know your still alive and reminds you to finish the job and get the h*** home"!

3:  Agree. whatever they do. they need to develop the mentality and 'will' to finish the game. wether its 4 quarters or  25 over times. Finish it. THEN get up in the morning ready to start a new game. everyday

oldhawg

Quote from: wildhogman on January 12, 2018, 09:20:39 am
1: That's fine if they let BOTH sides of the ball practice full tilt for those 300 Plays and don't just STRESS offense. The defense needs to practice tackling, covering those receiver routes, cutting off the route trees, Pressuring the QB. 

Coach Chavez has implied that will happen.

Grizzlyfan

That is outstanding.  The only thing better would be if they fought with sledgehammers.

ChicoHog

I want to see more "good on good".  Ones vs Ones.  In today's climate it is prevalent not to tackle as much, wear pads as much, etc., to prevent injuries and i understand that.  But you don't improve on defense without playing live football and tackling to the ground.  Yes,it increases chance for injuries but if you build depth you can overcome it.  today's football has become too much finesse and not enough physicality IMO.  I have no problem holding out a RB who doesn't need the reps and putting the QB in a green jersey but the lineman need to go full tilt.  the LBs and DBs need to tackle the RBs and WRs.  More like a real game. 

BBHog

The NewEra

Quote from: oldhawg on January 12, 2018, 09:31:53 am
Coach Chavez has inferred that will happen.

To me, this was one of the most notable statements Chavis made in his press conference.  Two things were made obvious to me.  1)  A problem Chavis had with fielding the defense he wanted at aTm was because the practices were soft.  2)  He has had long and in depth conversations with Morris about what to expect in the practice regimen and became convinced that Morris believes the only way to field a tough football team is to practice with great physicality on both sides of the ball. 

I expect there will be some serious hitting going on in practice this year. 

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 12, 2018, 10:53:56 am
I want to see more "good on good".  Ones vs Ones.  In today's climate it is prevalent not to tackle as much, wear pads as much, etc., to prevent injuries and i understand that.  But you don't improve on defense without playing live football and tackling to the ground.  Yes,it increases chance for injuries but if you build depth you can overcome it.  today's football has become too much finesse and not enough physicality IMO.  I have no problem holding out a RB who doesn't need the reps and putting the QB in a green jersey but the lineman need to go full tilt.  the LBs and DBs need to tackle the RBs and WRs.  More like a real game. 

Everyone will love this UNTIL a guy like Agim blows out a knee or 3 or 4 starters end up losing significant time due to a n injury suffered in a 145 play scrimmage of 1 vs 1. On a team with depth issues it is very risky.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 12, 2018, 09:17:16 am
If I had a way to do it I'd forward this to Coach right now. I bet someone here can.  I especially like the parts about fighting and sledgehammers.  I don't know who you are or what kind of football background you have but I wish you were part of our coaching staff.

I agree.. And OP, take that above as a sincere complement from one of the most jug-headed posters we have. If you made him break character like that, then you know you hit a homer... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

The OTR

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 12, 2018, 10:01:29 am
That is outstanding.  The only thing better would be if they fought with sledgehammers.

Agree. If we want to toughen them up then sledgehammer fighting is one way to do it. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 12, 2018, 12:03:48 pm
Agree. If we want to toughen them up then sledgehammer fighting is one way to do it. 

HaHa.!! See what I meant OP..?
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

The OTR

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 12, 2018, 12:08:10 pm
HaHa.!! See what I meant OP..?

You're always fighting with Bobo. Are you sure you want to start a dust up with me?  He's kicking your butt and he's apparently only 2 years old.  Go back and show me something with him and then maybe we can argue around on here. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: The NewEra on January 12, 2018, 11:26:23 am
To me, this was one of the most notable statements Chavis made in his press conference.  Two things were made obvious to me.  1)  A problem Chavis had with fielding the defense he wanted at aTm was because the practices were soft.  2)  He has had long and in depth conversations with Morris about what to expect in the practice regimen and became convinced that Morris believes the only way to field a tough football team is to practice with great physicality on both sides of the ball. 

Either Craddock or Carroll said in his presser that "you don't want to drive the players into the ground Monday thru Friday, you want them fresh for Saturday."

That is what coaches are dealing with in today's football. If practices are too easy, ala Bert, you see missed tackles etc. But if there is too much hitting, there will be injuries suffered on the practice field, not good for anyone, and you wear the players down.

It is hard finding the right balance. Injuries are going to occur, it is much better for the ones you have to occur going all out on game day, not the practice field.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Exit Pursued by a Boar

He implied. Whoever was listening inferred.

EFBAB

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 12, 2018, 10:01:29 am

Surely this isn't serious.. what could go wrong? The list is too lengthy to get into..

The OTR

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 12, 2018, 12:35:10 pm
Surely this isn't serious.. what could go wrong? The list is too lengthy to get into..

Sledgehammer fighting is a tried and true way to toughen up lineman, a tactic employed by that old mastermind himself, Don Shula. In fact it became such an effective technique back the seventies that even Larry Csonka would go at it with the Larry Littles and Bob Kuechenbergs in an effort to toughen himself up.  It obviously worked as his battering ram style has never been duplicated and I'd guess he owes a big part of his success to those old sledgehammer fights in the endzone on those steamy August afternoons in Miami in the early 70's.  I believe if I remember correctly they used the 16 pound ones.

I don't know if it's even still allowed.  But bringing it back this year would be one way to either toughen some of these guys up or have them leave the team. Either way I'm personally fine with it.

WizardofhOgZ

In 1965?  Sure.  But today?  I don't think you will ever see this anywhere.  Primarily because that many plays will lead to exhaustion from most if not all players, which will - in turn - lead to a slew of injuries.

Darrell Royal, Bear Bryant, Frank Broyles, et al used to do things like this 40-50 years ago.  BUT, that was when programs like that could and did bring in 50-60 recruits a year and had a lot of depth to spread the reps around.  In truth, those type of practices/scrimmages were more about developing 2nd and 3rd team depth than they were polishing the first teamers.

Also - if I'm not mistaken - the NCAA now has rules about how long practices/scrimmages can last, specifically to avoid practices such as this.

The OTR

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 12, 2018, 12:56:33 pm
In 1965?  Sure.  But today?  I don't think you will ever see this anywhere.  Primarily because that many plays will lead to exhaustion from most if not all players, which will - in turn - lead to a slew of injuries.

Darrell Royal, Bear Bryant, Frank Broyles, et al used to do things like this 40-50 years ago.  BUT, that was when programs like that could and did bring in 50-60 recruits a year and had a lot of depth to spread the reps around.  In truth, those type of practices/scrimmages were more about developing 2nd and 3rd team depth than they were polishing the first teamers.

Also - if I'm not mistaken - the NCAA now has rules about how long practices/scrimmages can last, specifically to avoid practices such as this.

Do they have any sledgehammer restrictions in that rule book?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 12, 2018, 12:35:10 pm
It's just as serious as someone who things we can win more games if they break rocks with a sledgehammer.

Hogindasticks

You know....what they should do is have a day a week and go out, cut, split it by hand and stack firewood for about 3-4 hours as a team and donate the wood to some older folks.......talk about a workout.....strength and stamina workout....It would be awesome for the linemen, to speed and strengthen them up.

hogsanity

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 12, 2018, 01:16:13 pm
It's just as serious as someone who things we can win more games if they break rocks with a sledgehammer.

I am sure there are some here that thinks Coach Morris should go all Junction Boys on the team. Work them out sun up to sundown, no water in practice, no ac in the rooms, etc.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AirWarren

If only we could land one of those Messicans like Alabama's freshman quarterback....

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2018, 11:50:10 am
Everyone will love this UNTIL a guy like Agim blows out a knee or 3 or 4 starters end up losing significant time due to a n injury suffered in a 145 play scrimmage of 1 vs 1. On a team with depth issues it is very risky.
seems like that happened anyway.  there is always risk.  practice soft, play soft.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: wildhogman on January 12, 2018, 09:20:39 am

2: Don't care what they use or how. But the results need to do just what you imply, physical and mental toughness to finish the job.  Fav quote from GI Jane.  "Pain is good, it lets you know your still alive and reminds you to finish the job and get the h*** home"!

3:  Agree. whatever they do. they need to develop the mentality and 'will' to finish the game. wether its 4 quarters or  25 over times. Finish it. THEN get up in the morning ready to start a new game. everyday
Some good ideas although there various things that could be done to reward players who are particularly effective during workouts/practices. Whatever approach you want to use, there is absolutely NO doubt a winning attitude/as sense of "swag" is built during practices and off season workouts. Everything a team eventually does on the field keys off the pace and approach to practices, drills, workout sessions and overall fitness/stamina drills. Yep, the proper MINDSET is critical in helping a team push itself to it's maximum (and perhaps beyond) capabilities. I think one (of many) thing that's be lacking is a true sense of confidence and pride. And that is something we most definitely have to begin rebuilding.

flagstaffhog

Hmmm. I wonder what the difference would be in being mean or being hyper aggressive?
I don't think of myself as being mean, but I have been known to get hyper aggressive. But then maybe that's why I never played college ball.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

The good thing is, the vast majority of our posters have no concept of what is the right or wrong approach and all are just posting opinions, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Everyone (hopefully, with few exceptions) want the Hogs to be successful.

I will say that tougher practices helps develop depth and talent but there is always a limit and some of that limit has to do with the amount of better skilled talent that you have on hand. As much as you want to go hard and fast, you can ill afford to get anyone in your two-deep injured when you aren't an Alabama that averages 4.0 or better talent 3-deep across the board.
Go Hogs Go!

oldhawg

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 12, 2018, 01:16:13 pm

I don't have a problem with breaking rocks with a sledgehammer. Sledgehammer fights? That's another kettle of fish. All of us want a faster, tougher, deeper team. You might accomplish one of those, the first one? Not so much. The 3rd? When guys drop like flies from something I'm sure the NCAA would frown upon..

A governing body that controls how many hours a week these kids can practice and even controls off season workouts I can't see allowing sledgehammer fights..

PorkSoda

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 12, 2018, 09:13:48 pm
I don't have a problem with breaking rocks with a sledgehammer. Sledgehammer fights? That's another kettle of fish. All of us want a faster, tougher, deeper team. You might accomplish one of those, the first one? Not so much. The 3rd? When guys drop like flies from something I'm sure the NCAA would frown upon..

A governing body that controls how many hours a week these kids can practice and even controls off season workouts I can't see allowing sledgehammer fights..
I don't see anything in the rule books that specifically disallows sledgehammer fights.  I'm not even sure why you think its that big of a deal.  I'm sure they have safety goggles, so its not like OSHA is going to come knocking.

I even think we could expand on this a little.  what better way to build nerves of steel than playing five finger fillet with a mini sledge.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 12, 2018, 09:30:05 pm
I don't see anything in the rule books that specifically disallows sledgehammer fights.  I'm not even sure why you think its that big of a deal.  I'm sure they have safety goggles, so its not like OSHA is going to come knocking.

Concussions are kind of a big deal now. Cam Newton got poked in the eye at New Orleans last weekend and sat on the field so the Panthers wouldn't get docked a TO or a 10 second run off or something.

The NFL was freaking out because he was only in the tent a few seconds, sat out one series and came back in the game. They grilled the Carolina Doctors and may make the team pay a fine.

A MLB umpire is retiring due to 5 concussions in the last 4 years due to getting hit with foul balls. A bunch of 18-22 year olds fighting with sledgehammers sounds like concussions waiting to happen, not to mention broken bones and who knows what else. Lose a star player to injury for the season in such a manner and listen to the howling here and everywhere else.

I'm sure there are ways to toughen these kids up without so much risk of injury. When Veltkamp had them busting rocks, that was fine, knock yourselves out.

PorkSoda

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 12, 2018, 09:41:25 pm
Concussions are kind of a big deal now. Cam Newton got poked in the eye at New Orleans last weekend and sat on the field so the Panthers wouldn't get docked a TO or a 10 second run off or something.

The NFL was freaking out because he was only in the tent a few seconds, sat out one series and came back in the game. They grilled the Carolina Doctors and may make the team pay a fine.

A MLB umpire is retiring due to 5 concussions in the last 4 years due to getting hit with foul balls. A bunch of 18-22 year olds fighting with sledgehammers sounds like concussions waiting to happen, not to mention broken bones and who knows what else. Lose a star player to injury for the season in such a manner and listen to the howling here and everywhere else.

I'm sure there are ways to toughen these kids up without so much risk of injury. When Veltkamp had them busting rocks, that was fine, knock yourselves out.
I'm sure back in your day, they toughened kids up with pillow fights, but modern athletes are bigger, stronger and tougher.  if you want them to play hard, they have to practice hard.

farmhawg

Quote from: The NewEra on January 12, 2018, 11:26:23 am

Morris will be one of our best coaches ever, he is the right leader fir here. Just wait.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Pork Twain

You guys should email the coaches.  I bet up until they receive that email, they will probably just have the players watching film and coloring.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LZH

Swagger is gained in real competition, games, not practice. You're welcome.

gawntrail

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 12, 2018, 12:25:00 pm
You're always fighting with Bobo. Are you sure you want to start a dust up with me?  He's kicking your butt and he's apparently only 2 years old.  Go back and show me something with him and then maybe we can argue around on here. 

I'm not fighting with anyone, some people are just too sensitive for their own good. You know, like they can dish it but not take it. Maybe he can get some advice from Shibest on how to cope with PWS. "Panty Wad Syndrome"...

As for you I'll let you get by with this one because last time you got pissed Ponderin's dog wound up violated, and you blamed OTR...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 12, 2018, 11:04:40 pm
Just...no.  :puke:

1.  We only have so many players.
2.  Those players only have so many snaps in them.

Do you want them used in practice or a game?

"Swagger" comes from succeeding, that a belief in your commitment and effort equals Game Day results.  Respectfully?  You can have the best practices in the world and if you come out and get curb stomped?  It won't make a d*mned bit of difference.  What matters is Game Day.

The best turnaround, over time, I've witnessed is Bill Snyder at Kansas State.  TWICE.  What did he do?  He scheduled cupcakes...

...and lost (for a while).

Then he played them tough.  Then he won.  Then he scheduled tougher opponents.  Then he won league games.  Then?  Then he just WON.

And you don't break though until you trust yourself at the next rung, which is why the grotesque 4th quarter losses two years ago were so devastating.  CBB had us there.  It was a crucial moment.  Win those games and we're golden.

But, at the important moment -- for whatever reason -- we folded.

UGH.

And we can kick around why but it wasn't because nobody was hitting hard enough in practices.

Question... What determines the number of snaps? I'll hang up and listen.

LawyerHog50

Just...no.  :puke:

1.  We only have so many players.
2.  Those players only have so many snaps in them.

Do you want them used in practice or a game?
Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 12, 2018, 12:56:33 pm

Petrino did this regularly. He used all three strings, defense and offense, 1's against 2's, with a lot of substitutes, as much as he could. He had them running in between snaps to speed up the time, with the offenses and defenses huddling up in between plays to save time.

If the players could not handle it at first, they were able to handle it later after building their endurance for a while. Injuries didn't seem to be a problem under the Petrino regime. Nor the NCAA.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

LawyerHog50

January 13, 2018, 07:04:44 am #40 Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:19:35 am by LawyerHog50
Quote from: LZH on January 12, 2018, 11:30:01 pm
Swagger is gained in real competition, games, not practice. You're welcome.

"Swagger" comes from succeeding, that a belief in your commitment and effort equals Game Day results.  Respectfully?  You can have the best practices in the world and if you come out and get curb stomped? 
saying that swagger comes from winning is like "fighting for peace" or screwing for virginity. It's just backwards.

Consider Joe Adams and DJ Williams. Now, even before we won a lot of games, those dudes had swagger. Not regular old swagger but it oozed from their pores when they ran up and around the field. They moved like lightning and refused to go down if they got the ball. They were just too damn proud to go down for anything less than 4-5 tacklers.

Now DJ and Joe built that swagger before they scored those touchdowns. When Joe returned that punt against Tennessee, he made them look like fools. He didn't care if he had to run backwards 5 yards or so, he had all the bent up energy to unleash and he was gonna use it.

This was true for a lot the Petrino crew. They played with a general sense of what I call "piss offedness" and mountains of badass energy. They had it before we won the games, not after. And for the individuals on the team that really had jacked up authentic swagger, it didn't matter if the team won or lost. Guys like DJ Williams and Joe Adams had made their mind up they were going to blow their assignments out of the water. And that's how it starts, one at a time, across the whole team.

Those guys were worked like Spartan warriors in practice and in all phases of the offseason. It didn't matter what the team did, win or lose, those guys were bad, bad dudes. It was written all over their walk, talk, and gait that no one was quicker, stronger, smarter, meaner or more willing to do what it took to win than those guys.

It starts with practice. It's pride, a mentality that causes you to win those games to begin with.

oldfart

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 12, 2018, 01:40:01 pm
You know....what they should do is have a day a week and go out, cut, split it by hand and stack firewood for about 3-4 hours as a team and donate the wood to some older folks.......talk about a workout.....strength and stamina workout....It would be awesome for the linemen, to speed and strengthen them up.
cutting wood by hand is one of the best and most strenuous workouts known. used to be commonly done by boxers in training. i had a friend who had been an all american running back. he rose in the management side if a major oil company and to keep fit would chop wood. when he got promoted to the head office in a new city they bought a house in an exclusive neighborhood, then had a load of logs delivered. one evening as he was doing his ritual wood cutting his neighbor came over and said "you know, you can buy wood  already chopped up!""

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 12, 2018, 08:21:51 pm
The good thing is, the vast majority of our posters have no concept of what is the right or wrong approach and all are just posting opinions, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Everyone (hopefully, with few exceptions) want the Hogs to be successful.

I will say that tougher practices helps develop depth and talent but there is always a limit and some of that limit has to do with the amount of better skilled talent that you have on hand. As much as you want to go hard and fast, you can ill afford to get anyone in your two-deep injured when you aren't an Alabama that averages 4.0 or better talent 3-deep across the board.

I think this is the main point most are suggesting here.  Insanity the poster wants to make it out to be an either or situation.  What most of us are suggesting is a more physical practice, within reason, will lead to a more physical, game ready team on the field.  We trust the coaches to strike the perfect balance, but a team similar to the ones we've witnessed in recent years isn't going to get the job done.

TexArkHogFan

January 13, 2018, 08:32:18 am #43 Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:54:25 am by TexArkHogFan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUKoKQlEC4  I don't know how to post a U Tube on here bout the death crawl scene from the movie Facing The Giants is impressive to watchl

There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 12, 2018, 01:04:21 pm
Do they have any sledgehammer restrictions in that rule book?

I think it's still allowed, but the participants have to wear their helmets.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on January 13, 2018, 08:32:18 am
  I don't know how to post a U Tube on here bout the death crawl scene from the movie Facing The Giants is impressive to watchl

Click the YouTube button, insert link between the brackets. Or you can post the link, highlight it, then click the YouTube button.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

TexArkHogFan

Hoggy Cat thanks for the tip, seems easy enough.  If I can't get that to work I'll ask my sixth grade grandson to fix it for me. lol
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Al Boarland

We don't recruit the kind of depth to do what people want. However, I say go for it. People shouldn't be shocked when some injuries pop up and our season takes a dive.