Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could we see something like this on the D'Line?

Started by lakecityhog, January 10, 2018, 09:34:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

My guess is that we see Agim slim down and get his speed back, Bell moves from Linebacker and maybe a TE makes a position change?? Cantrell played DE in HS and was pretty good. Maybe Guidry puts on a few pounds and moves to DT? I don't know what Ramsey does, he is simply too light for the D'Line, so stick at LB??
I think this group with Caldwell leading them could turn out to be pretty darned good.

I think that Guidry and Smith could be the wild cards, bulk up and be a tackle or shed a few and play DE???

Capps, Watts, Marshall and Smith could turn into a pretty good rotation at the tackle spots. Maybe a Juco guy to provide some instant depth?               

Defensive Ends
3   McTelvin Agim           DE   So   6-3   286   
95   Jake Hall                DE   Jr   6-5   263   
71   David Porter           DE   Fr   6-3   241   
91   Michael Taylor II     DE   Jr   6-2   258
86   Jamario Bell           DE   So   6-5   258
44   Austin Cantrell       DE   So   6-3   264

7   Briston Guidry           DL   R-Fr   6-2   279
52   T.J. Smith              DL   So   6-3   290

Defensive Tackles
41   Austin Capps          DT   So   6-4   300      
90   Armon Watts          DT   Jr   6-5   309
42   Jonathan Marshall   DT   R-Fr   6-3   310
69   Dylan Hays            DT   R-Fr   6-3   298   

King Kong

Outside of Agim, Capps and maybe Guidry that is a sad group

Tigaman

With all of the DEs we are looking at in recruiting, I expect to see a couple of are current DEs move to DT but I not sure which ones.

logand02

Quote from: King Kong on January 10, 2018, 09:42:16 pm

The group is young. They are very talented and will prove your statement to be inaccurate.

colbs

lakecityhog

I think Marshall, Smith and Guidry will be very good players for us along with Agim and Capps.
Watts has the size to be a beast!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 10, 2018, 09:54:19 pm
I think Marshall, Smith and Guidry will be very good players for us along with Agim and Capps.
Watts has the size to be a beast!

I see it "potentially" like this:

DT: A. Capps, So., 6-4, 309, D. Hays, R/Fr, 6-3, 294, B. Guidry, R-Fr., 6-3, 294, A. Watts, Jr., 6-5, 293, J. Marshall, R/Fr., 6-4, 299

DE: M. Agim, So., 6-3, 289, M. Taylor, Jr., 6-3, 260, J. Bell, So., 6-5, 252, G. LaFrance, R/Fr., 6-1, 255

Not necessarily in any predictive order of play or depth.

I'm not up on all transfers or all R/S players, but there is enough for a solid two deep at those front four positions. Need more highly rated depth. but it is a good start in 4-3 for the front line.
Go Hogs Go!

Airforcehawg

RaisinHog

Guidry was recruited as inside guy and I suspect him too play there .. along with agim at strong side and bell ,Taylor, or a frosh at the weekside .. and Capps at the other tackle

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: King Kong on January 10, 2018, 09:42:16 pm

Quote from: logand02 on January 10, 2018, 09:50:15 pm
The group is young. They are very talented and will prove your statement to be inaccurate.

There were 4 freshmen on that list. 3 RS and 1 true freshman... Out side of those Jake Hall showed some promise as well. These are the guys already signed or committed...

DE 3* John Mincey, 6'4", 255, Clinch County HS, Homerville, GA (729th Natl)
DE 3* Isaiah Nichols, 6'4", 275, Springdale HS, Springdale, AR (816th Natl)
SDE 3* Nick Fulwider, 6'7", 249, Sandy Creek HS, Tyron, GA (728th Natl)

There's going to be lots of competition, but we have two DL coaches that are pretty darned good now. Look for a much improved defense overall, but especially on the DL...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

colbs

Marshall is a freak.  Hopefully players like him and Jamario Bell will do better with this staff.

FANONTHEHILL

I wouldn't be predicting who will be a DE or DT just yet.  Many of those listed are going to have significant weight changes by the end of the semester.  For example, if Sosa stays above 285, he'll be a 3 technique. If he's 270, he'll play end.  The lineman, both defensive and offensive, we be physically transformed in the next 8 weeks.  Trim and mobile is the way of the future on both lines.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

HawgSZN

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 10, 2018, 11:20:56 pm
I wouldn't be predicting who will be a DE or DT just yet.  Many of those listed are going to have significant weight changes by the end of the semester.  For example, if Sosa stays above 285, he'll be a 3 technique. If he's 270, he'll play end.  The lineman, both defensive and offensive, we be physically transformed in the next 8 weeks.  Trim and mobile is the way of the future on both lines.

I feel sorry for them over the next 8 weeks.
Quote from: onebadrubi on November 21, 2019, 01:13:05 pm
Damn. you say his name he pops up.  This guy is legend status

Pig in the Pokey

group is ALL 3 stars +, with 3 4*s and a 5*. it aint a darn unit.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: HawgSZN on January 10, 2018, 11:26:18 pm

I feel sorry for them over the next 8 weeks.

I don't.  That why they were given a workout plan before Christmas and should have been lifting and running constantly.  I know the one that been at my house has been.  His legs have been killing him and like any good father I've told him, "good, it's going to get worse".
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Cletus

See, what had happened was........

HawgSZN

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 10, 2018, 11:29:29 pm
I don't.  That why they were given a workout plan before Christmas and should have been lifting and running constantly.  I know the one that been at my house has been.  His legs have been killing him and like any good father I've told him, "good, it's going to get worse".

I didn't know they were given a plan before Christmas. So yes, if they did what they were told then it should be better then being thrown directly into the fire.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: HawgSZN on January 10, 2018, 11:34:38 pm
I didn't know they were given a plan before Christmas. So yes, if they did what they were told then it should be better then being thrown directly into the fire.

They've know for a while that Coach Carroll was coming.  If you haven't watched the video of his press conference, he is clear on what he wants and how to get there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwj11tz3mc_YAhWLiYMKHTn8ATsQwqsBCCUwBg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dt9YGPOx4H2k&usg=AOvVaw18lqNsFiHItbhQB99vAABi

Al Boarland

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 10, 2018, 10:29:04 pm
Look for a much improved defense overall, but especially on the DL...

I feel like I'm in a time machine sometimes on here.

HawgSZN

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 10, 2018, 11:44:53 pm
They've know for a while that Coach Carroll was coming.  If you haven't watched the video of his press conference, he is clear on what he wants and how to get there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwj11tz3mc_YAhWLiYMKHTn8ATsQwqsBCCUwBg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dt9YGPOx4H2k&usg=AOvVaw18lqNsFiHItbhQB99vAABi

He seems to have it figured out from the individual needs aspect to the meeting with the coaches to see what product they want. For what it's worth he has my approval. If he can develop at SMU I don't see why that can't follow him here.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HawgSZN on January 10, 2018, 11:34:38 pm
Yeah, they said Cole Kelley has already dropped weight too. Let the "Buy-In" begin..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Sow Lancelot

I wouldn't be predicting who will be a DE or DT just yet.  Many of those listed are going to have significant weight changes by the end of the semester.  For example, if Sosa stays above 285, he'll be a 3 technique. If he's 270, he'll play end.  The lineman, both defensive and offensive, we be physically transformed in the next 8 weeks. 
Thank God.
QuoteTrim and mobile is the way of the future on both lines.
No more huge, (sorta) strong, and slow; getting blown up by the freakish athletes on SEC defensive lines? Hallelujah!
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

lakecityhog

Not really predicting, just trying to start some conversations about FOOTBALL!!!
I'm so tired of reading all of the negative crap about why each guy is such a terrible hire. I'm tired of reading about how we have a roster of non-SEC players. I'm tired of reading about the junk that DOES NOT MATTER.

I know that we will have to have some roster turnover, it happens with every coaching change. Some kids are just so loyal to their coach that they just cannot buy into what the new guy is selling. If that is around 10% of the 85 scholarship players we are looking at maybe 9 guys leaving. Is 10% a good number? Who knows, but we ALL know that this will happen.

Based on the way that Morris talks I think we could also see some shifting of positions in order to get some speed and strength into certain areas. We also know that we are somewhat out of balance, number wise, at a couple of spots.

Anyway, let's talk FOOTBALL for a while.

Nashville Fan

I am just excited that whomever makes the list will be taught to move north and south instead of east and west.
Pittman or Bust!

King Kong

January 11, 2018, 06:51:32 am #24 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:03:02 pm by King Kong
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 10, 2018, 10:29:04 pm
There were 4 freshmen on that list. 3 RS and 1 true freshman... Out side of those Jake Hall showed some promise as well. These are the guys already signed or committed...

DE 3* John Mincey, 6'4", 255, Clinch County HS, Homerville, GA (729th Natl)
DE 3* Isaiah Nichols, 6'4", 275, Springdale HS, Springdale, AR (816th Natl)
SDE 3* Nick Fulwider, 6'7", 249, Sandy Creek HS, Tyron, GA (728th Natl)

There's going to be lots of competition, but we have two DL coaches that are pretty darned good now. Look for a much improved defense overall, but especially on the DL...

Well, Hays probably goes back to Oline IMO. He was moved just to add deep depth. 8 of the players in the original list I replied to are down at most to 2 years of eligibility left and some of them Redshirted so they have been through 3 seasons of preparation.

I like the guys coming in better than a lot the guys on campus outside of Agim, Capps and Guidry. Agim and Capps can play. Everytime Guidry was in the game it seemed like he always made a play. I never understood why his PT didn't increase last year.

I also wouldn't call Scott a great DL coach. His units have never backed up that statement. But Caldwell is as good as they come.

Hoggish1

AC should have never been a TE when he got here.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 10, 2018, 11:29:29 pm

Can you disclose any information on what your son has been doing the last couple weeks?   Is it lots of running?  What kind of running?  What kind of lifting?  Has he lost any weight?  Just any specific things you can add.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 09:58:25 am
Can you disclose any information on what your son has been doing the last couple weeks?   Is it lots of running?  What kind of running?  What kind of lifting?  Has he lost any weight?

Lots of cardio and running.  Sprints and quickness/agility drill type exercises.  The lifting isn't really that different from what was happening previously.  I know everyone wants to bash Herbert, but Coach Carroll and Herbert's philosophies aren't that different. Herbert was told to where to have his guys physically, and that's what he did.  The new focus will be strength, but quickness and agility are going to be stressed now.  Each player will be evaluated in a couple weeks and a program individually designed for each player. So far, my son hasn't lost weight, but he he's not 300+ guy.  I imagine he'll be a 280-290 guy in the new system.  They like quickness and cutting DLineman off their feet.  SMU had one starter over 300 last year, two in the 290's and two in the 270's. Arkansas will be bigger than that, but they have got to be able to move. 

hamARchy in the USA

Awesome.  The staff has hit the ground running.  It'll be interesting to see which players find new life with this transformation.  We should get a much better idea of what the true talent level is of this team.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: logand02 on January 10, 2018, 09:50:15 pm

How do you know they are very talented?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ElDawgHawg

Jamario Bell is the wild card here in my opinion.  I've known him for a while and he's a freak of nature that can be a disruptive pass rusher.  Got in Bert's doghouse early and was just getting out when he got hurt last year.  He's a prototype end for a Chavis style defense.
#WPS

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ElDawgHawg on January 11, 2018, 10:41:56 am
Jamario Bell is the wild card here in my opinion.  I've known him for a while and he's a freak of nature that can be a disruptive pass rusher.  Got in Bert's doghouse early and was just getting out when he got hurt last year.  He's a prototype end for a Chavis style defense.
Jamario is a great athlete and is a perfect example of a player that has not yet been utilized to their strengths.  As Coach Chavis said yesterday in his press conference, "we won't put square pegs in round holes.".  Arkansas isn't as big, isn't as strong as many in the SEC, so there has to be something.  That "something" is pressure and again as Coach Chavis said, "make the quarterback uncomfortable."  There were pressure schemes last year that were never used.  I'll never understand why.  The staff wasn't on the same page in either side of the ball.  They will be now. Whether coming as an OLB or DE, there will be situations in Chavis' defense that will make use of Jamario's talent.

elksnort

I watched several press conferences of the new coaches. I don't want to draw too much of a conclusion, but I don't think that there is much way that this team will not be better next fall.

If nothing else, the new strength and conditioning philosophy should yield a better record next season.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: elksnort on January 11, 2018, 11:09:26 am
I watched several press conferences of the new coaches. I don't want to draw to much of a conclusion, but I don't think that there is much way that this team will not be better next fall.

If nothing else, the new strength and conditioning philosophy should yield a better record next season.

I don't even have to watch the pressers to know we'll be better.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 11, 2018, 06:30:39 am
Not really predicting, just trying to start some conversations about FOOTBALL!!!
I'm so tired of reading all of the negative crap about why each guy is such a terrible hire. I'm tired of reading about how we have a roster of non-SEC players. I'm tired of reading about the junk that DOES NOT MATTER.

I know that we will have to have some roster turnover, it happens with every coaching change. Some kids are just so loyal to their coach that they just cannot buy into what the new guy is selling. If that is around 10% of the 85 scholarship players we are looking at maybe 9 guys leaving. Is 10% a good number? Who knows, but we ALL know that this will happen.

Based on the way that Morris talks I think we could also see some shifting of positions in order to get some speed and strength into certain areas. We also know that we are somewhat out of balance, number wise, at a couple of spots.

Anyway, let's talk FOOTBALL for a while.
i trust this staff's ability to scout and judge talent, as well as their knowledge of ideal traits for certain positions, MUCH better than the last staff's. I really hope to see a transformed Jamario Bell at WDE and a rejuvenated Sosa at SDE.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

WooPig90

Is it just me or did Bret just tell all players to eat eat and eat?!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 11, 2018, 12:02:38 pm
he's like teh fat girl who feeds her skinny friends to make her look smaller. That's why they were allowed to ride in first class with him.

lakecityhog

Man, I hope you are right! If we could be anything like some of the DE's that A&M has had the last few years it would be big time.

King Kong

Bell and Randy Ramsey have had their talents wasted more than anyone else on defense

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 11, 2018, 06:43:17 am
I am just excited that whomever makes the list will be taught to move north and south instead of east and west.

East and West to spreadem.....North South to stickem.

BornaHog

I'm just guessing, but I believe your son will be ready to play for CCM right now. In that he seems to be more of the stature that CCM is looking for, do you think I am right and are you also looking forward to this offense?
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: BornaHog on January 11, 2018, 08:48:51 pm
I'm just guessing, but I believe your son will be ready to play for CCM right now. In that he seems to be more of the stature that CCM is looking for, do you think I am right and are you also looking forward to this offense?

In the previous system, Cooper was definitely undersized.  Because of that, he's always had to rely more on his hands, feet, pad level, and explosion than the guys that come in at 315.  Because of his emphasis on technique to simply be competitive, he has a head start and is a good fit for the new system.  The bigger guys will drop weight and become more agile and Cooper can still add weight.  It will be interesting to see where everyone meets in the middle.  Of course we hope he gets an opportunity and makes the most of it, but it's not about him, it's about the best five getting out there and getting the job done.  We are excited to see what Coach Carroll does this off season and watching Coach Fry develop the group.

Cooper is 6'3" and coming in around 280.  Not too bad in the new system.  He was always told he needed more size in the previous system.  He can always use more size, but he wants to be quick. In his words, he's always said, "I'll get bigger, but I refuse to get fat."  He's all about good weight.  Here's a picture from the Mizzou game.  He's about 275 here.  Good base and good upper body strength, but not much of that OL gut.  5-10 more LBs of lean muscle mass could do him some good.  We're excited for this off season cycle and for spring ball to kick off.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 12, 2018, 06:02:12 am
In the previous system, Cooper was definitely undersized.  Because of that, he's always had to rely more on his hands, feet, pad level, and explosion than the guys that come in at 315.  Because of his emphasis on technique to simply be competitive, he has a head start and is a good fit for the new system.  The bigger guys will drop weight and become more agile and Cooper can still add weight.  It will be interesting to see where everyone meets in the middle.  Of course we hope he gets an opportunity and makes the most of it, but it's not about him, it's about the best five getting out there and getting the job done.  We are excited to see what Coach Carroll does this off season and watching Coach Fry develop the group.

Cooper is 6'3" and coming in around 280.  Not too bad in the new system.  He was always told he needed more size in the previous system.  He can always use more size, but he wants to be quick. In his words, he's always said, "I'll get bigger, but I refuse to get fat."  He's all about good weight.  Here's a picture from the Mizzou game.  He's about 275 here.  Good base and good upper body strength, but not much of that OL gut.  5-10 more LBs of lean muscle mass could do him some good.  We're excited for this off season cycle and for spring ball to kick off.

I am excited to see if in this new offense the OLM actually fire off the ball and attacks the DL or LBs on the other side of the LOS.   What I saw mostly from our OLM last year was stand up and catch the defense.  I would like to see more down field blocking from our OLM and also Double team blocking to create running lanes for the RB.  So curious what your son finds out.  Also how do you know how to block on RPO plays.  Do the OL block a RPO as a running play or a passing play?

I hope your son does well in this new scheme because I like to see us use OLM who have with good feet and good mobility over the 350 lb stiff guys.   

DeltaBoy

Attack and Pressure are the Hot words for Chavis.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 12, 2018, 08:36:34 am
Attack and Pressure are the Hot words for Chavis.

One player that has been totally overlooked and under-utilized on the defensive side of the ball is Michael Taylor.  He should thrive in this system under Chavis.  Pure speed off the edge.  Having Caldwell work with him will only make him better.

gibby

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 11, 2018, 12:02:38 pm
Led by example in this area, for sure.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Airforcehawg on January 10, 2018, 10:11:39 pm
J. Marshall has put on almost 40lbs since he got on campus.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jonathan-Marshall-68827/high-school-121345

He moves very well I think he could be a player to really help. Want to see more of Guidry and Taylor for sure.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 10, 2018, 11:44:53 pm

Music to my ears..We have enough talent to play much better defense. I really believe that.