Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting Needs

Started by Tim Harris, September 14, 2015, 08:08:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Harris

After watching a few games here is my opinion of what we need when completing this class.

Pass Rushers - Maybe Agim falls in this category.  We seem to be good against the run but lacking in the pass rush department.

OT - I don't care about getting anymore guards but we have to add tackles.  This seems to be a common theme.

LB - Always need LBers.  This year is no different

WR - Need an elite playmaker.

RB - Need at least 1 top back this year and preferably 2.  We most likely lose Williams and Collins at the end of the year and need someone to replace them.

GalaHawg

I would add cover corners - we did not do well in 3rd and long situations.

ifghog

If Collins doesn't perform better I doubt he goes anywhere...I still agree with the need.

jackflash

I think the defense did enough to win the game.  not too concerned about it. I think we just need someone to make a play when the game is on the line. 512 yards. We just didn't make the plays when it counted.

cram224

I think corners have been ok, we have given up the big plays right down the middle in both games.

jackflash

I would like to see us get Robinson, Reed, Cornelius on the field and Cantrell this year. and go from their

LJHOG

Our needs in order:
1. Defensive linemen
2. Cover corners
3. OT's
4. Quarterback
5. WR's like good SEC teams have
6. LB's
7. RB's

WooPig90

Quote from: LJHOG on September 14, 2015, 11:09:11 am
Our needs in order:
1. Defensive linemen
2. Cover corners
3. OT's
4. Quarterback
6. LB's
7. RB's

No...that would be one of our deepest positions on the team.

Tim Harris

Our needs in order:
1. Defensive linemen
2. Cover corners
3. OT's
4. Quarterback
6. LB's
7. RB's

We are rather deep at DL with several committed so overall I don't know that we need numbers but do need help with the pass rush.  I also didn't list QB since we already have one committed for next year.

BigSexyHog

Our needs in order:
1. Defensive linemen
2. Cover corners
3. OT's
4. Quarterback
6. LB's
7. RB's

I don't want to bag on BA cause I am very pleased with him so far this year but we will have a QB next year and that is Towns.   He will be great for us.  I have no doubts.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

NLRHog92

I think we need some of everything after that showing Saturday...

redeye

I think we need quality depth at RB and WR.

Atlhogfan1

RBs

This is like guards to our basketball program.  It is what will drive us. 

Oline and RBs.  When Petrino was here, the program should have been able to attract wr's.  Right now, we should be able to recruit RBs.  We are painfully thin at RB for this to be our emphasis.  Somehow, we are growing depth at qb yet we haven't gotten a TB commit yet(granted we are shooting high) and signed one last class.  In our first full class with this staff, we signed one RB.  Marshall's departure didn't help but perhaps if we had devoted another scholarship or two to RB's in the last couple of classes, Walker could be excelling at FB and we would have a lead blocker who could also get touches running and catching. 

Both our football and basketball coach has a style they want to play.  Recruit the players that can do it.  Guard talent and depth hasn't been there in basketball.  And one injury in football and we can't run on UTEP or Toledo.  Sorry for the rant. 

Our football program needs a talent infusion everywhere.  We may already have a pass rusher on the roster or in Agim.  They need to be developed and put in a position to succeed.

I think Ark will always struggle at LB depth due to how few the state produces.

WR - We may have them.  For some reason, they can't manage to get themselves on the field. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogsBalls

We do have needs for tackles that's for sure.

RazorWhacker

Quote from: GalaHawg on September 14, 2015, 08:24:03 am
I would add cover corners - we did not do well in 3rd and long situations.

A lot of that was due to getting zero pressure on their QB.

Oklahawg

We schemed specifically to allow cushion underneath in the passing game. Not sure I agree (or that the coaches do at this point) but that was the plan. Not sure why we didn't man-up more. Too many DL in the rotation right now - go with fewer and let them develop some synergy on the field.

I would like to see with the final 9 picks (we have 16? I am calling a full class this year):
1. OT
2. LB
3. RB
4. RB
5. CB
6. FS
7. OT
8. RB or WR
9. bellcow DL or cover CB
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: BigSexyHog on September 14, 2015, 12:48:02 pm
I don't want to bag on BA cause I am very pleased with him so far this year but we will have a QB next year and that is Towns.   He will be great for us.  I have no doubts.
Who is this Towns.  Never heard of him.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 14, 2015, 08:08:21 am
After watching a few games here is my opinion of what we need when completing this class.

Pass Rushers - Maybe Agim falls in this category.  We seem to be good against the run but lacking in the pass rush department.

OT - I don't care about getting anymore guards but we have to add tackles.  This seems to be a common theme.

LB - Always need LBers.  This year is no different

WR - Need an elite playmaker.

RB - Need at least 1 top back this year and preferably 2.  We most likely lose Williams and Collins at the end of the year and need someone to replace them.
seriously doubt we lose Collins. To what?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Our needs in order:
1. Defensive linemen
2. Cover corners
3. OT's
4. Quarterback
6. LB's
7. RB's
HUH? We have a ton of Dlinemen and WRs. And we have FIVE FOUR STAR QBs.... how many more do we need?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

WildRazorback

Collins isn't going anywhere. He's not NFL caliber, well, not at this point. 

AirForceHog

Quote from: WildRazorback on September 14, 2015, 05:58:55 pm

I still think he is NFL caliber. He will show it.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

LJHOG

Quote from: WooPig90 on September 14, 2015, 11:34:02 am
No...that would be one of our deepest positions on the team.
Let me be clear.  Defensive linemen who can rush the passer without a blitz to help.  I was hoping Detrich Wise was going to be able to pressure QB's. 

Tim Harris

September 14, 2015, 06:42:40 pm #22 Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:58:55 pm by Tim Harris

I'm hoping people don't actually think this and are just letting their frustration from the loss show.  He may or may not leave this year but he definitely has the talent to give the NFL a shot.

LJHOG

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 14, 2015, 03:59:04 pm
HUH? We have a ton of Dlinemen and WRs. And we have FIVE FOUR STAR QBs.... how many more do we need?
See post just above.  D Lineme who pass rush.  We have a ton of WR's.  And yet Hatcher is the bell cow.  We have five 4* QB's, but Brandon Allen starts.
We need better talent at almost every position and we desperately need a QB who can go win a game not overthrow a wide open receiver in the end zone with the game on the line.

31to6

31to6

He is NFL-caliber talent. He has some work to do to develop a complete NFL-caliber game.

Oklahawg

Our QB commit + Town represents the first time this staff has had a chance to recruit their type of QB. Both Kelley and Town have big-time arms.  BIG-TIME.

Ty Storey might be just fine, but UA has a bad track record with in-state QB stars.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WooPig90

Quote from: LJHOG on September 14, 2015, 06:40:49 pm
Let me be clear.  Defensive linemen who can rush the passer without a blitz to help.  I was hoping Detrich Wise was going to be able to pressure QB's.

He is going to be able to. For one, he doesn't start because Winston and Ledbetter have been playing well. Two, it's only been 2 games, 1 of which get the ball out so quick and don't let our DL even get a chance to rush

WildRazorback

September 14, 2015, 11:33:06 pm #29 Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:39:29 am by WildRazorback
Quote from: AirForceHog on September 14, 2015, 06:34:20 pm
I still think he is NFL caliber. He will show it.

Based on what I've seen so far, he isn't going to be high enough caliber to go in the early rounds. His rushing average against good defenses has been suspect; in addition, he doesn't have the same tenacity that I saw his freshman year. And I said "not as this point" so yes, he may show it soon.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: WooPig90 on September 14, 2015, 10:35:28 pm
He is going to be able to. For one, he doesn't start because Winston and Ledbetter have been playing well. Two, it's only been 2 games, 1 of which get the ball out so quick and don't let our DL even get a chance to rush
I agree, he is the playmaker in that group.

lasthog

I feel the need for speed. 

WorfHog

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 14, 2015, 06:42:40 pm
I'm hoping people don't actually think this and are just letting their frustration from the loss show.  He may or may not leave this year but he definitely has the talent to give the NFL a shot.

If the O-line doesn't get it together then he'll be here next year along with Kirkland.  Based on what we've seen so far this season they could both probably go on potential, but not in an early round.

jackflash

I feel Kirkland is gone after this year. think he will be drafted as a guard possible as high as the second round.  This recruiting class will be about filling needs because I think we will lose 6 juniors to the pros this year

LJHOG

Quote from: jackflash on September 15, 2015, 08:20:12 am
I think we will lose 6 juniors to the pros this year
I don't see us losing 6 juniors to another SECw team much less the NFL.

Tim Harris

Quote from: WorfHog on September 15, 2015, 08:02:29 am
If the O-line doesn't get it together then he'll be here next year along with Kirkland.  Based on what we've seen so far this season they could both probably go on potential, but not in an early round.

I'm not saying Collins, Kirkland, or anyone else falls in this category because I'm not an NFL scout but based on what has happened with JWill and Keon I could see a few kids jumping to the NFL who really shouldn't.

jackflash

has anybody hear any up dates on Isaiah Simmons lately

hawginbigd1

I think our needs boil down to this:
2-RB
1 or 2-OL
2 or 3- combination of LB/S/CB
If we take anyone outside of those areas it is because they are amazing like Cleveland or Graham! I believe our number is 20-22, going more towards 20.

WooPig90

Quote from: jackflash on September 15, 2015, 12:06:47 pm
has anybody hear any up dates on Isaiah Simmons lately

Dont think we have even offered

Hakuna Matata

September 15, 2015, 02:15:53 pm #39 Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:46:59 pm by Hakuna Matata
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on September 15, 2015, 12:34:52 pm
I think our needs boil down to this:
2-RB
1 or 2-OL
2 or 3- combination of LB/S/CB
If we take anyone outside of those areas it is because they are amazing like Cleveland or Graham! I believe our number is 20-22, going more towards 20.

We need at least 3 more OL if not more. I also think we'll sign closer to a full class than just 20. With graduating seniors, early departures to the NFL from some of the juniors, and some players transferring out, I bet we'll sign closer to a full class

Pig in the Pokey

agree Collins will be back next year.
@Slackaveli

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hakuna Matata on September 15, 2015, 02:15:53 pm
We need at least 3 more OL if not more. I also think we'll sign closer to a full class than just 20. With graduating seniors, early departures to the NFL from some of the juniors, and some players transferring out, I bet we'll sign closer to a full class
RD has stated they sign one more OL from the staff maybe 2 if the 2nd was a can't pass up type. I think Collins is the only early guy, and I don't think maybe anyone but one of the QB transfer on their own, so I think the # is closer to 20.

BentonvilleJeff

We need guys that are a threat to score every time the ball is in their hands. Playmakers. Plain as day is a glaring need. We have solid guys but not dangerous ones.

hogs dont cry

Lots of good points in here. 

I would love to see:
2 LBs
2 RBs
2 OL
1 safety/hybrid type
Then best available with what's left.

I absolutely love our QB situation going forward.  Between A. Allen, Storey, Town,  Cole Kelley and Peavey.  II will not be surprised to see Kelley become a star down the road.  I'm really impressed with that kid.

ballhogger

2 more O-line
2 more linebackers maybe 3
I think we are good on d-line even though I think Austin Capps will be an O-linemen by the time it is all said and done.
We are getting pretty deep at receiver.  Maybe a couple more there and after that the best left Athletes/ players.

Pork Twain

Our needs in order:
1. Defensive linemen
2. Cover corners
3. OT's
4. Quarterback
6. LB's
7. RB's
You lost me at DL
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

I believe after the loss, Bielema said MLB and FB were needed.

WooPig90

Quote from: ricepig on September 16, 2015, 09:37:17 am
I believe after the loss, Bielema said MLB and FB were needed.

Good thing we got our future FB

Cinco de Hogo

Football players first,

Uncommon men...if their football players first.

hawgmasta

Every year you should try to recruit better players than you have currently on your roster. So when posters say we need a talent upgrade at every position, why yes you always want to upgrade the talent at every position.  8)