Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thursday bits

Started by The Recruiting Guy, September 10, 2015, 08:28:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Haven't heard Bundage mentioned in a while.  Glad he's visiting.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Cavosea1

Cavosea1

presidenthog

are we recruiting bundage as a safety or a LB? 6'3 200 suggests to me he has room to grow.

MissippHog

Quote from: hogfan870 on September 10, 2015, 12:33:46 pm
Pretty good offer list for a "3 star" recruit.
Yep.  IMO, offer lists speak louder than stars.

ChiTown27

Jalen Harris must be a complete stud!
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

Seminole Indian

Quote from: MissippHog on September 10, 2015, 01:07:40 pm

Yes, and no.

I do think offers are a very good way of differentiating players that might have the same rating, but stars do matter.

Not even the top schools can sign only 4-5 star athletes because there really are only a limited number of truly gifted athletes available each year, and even these top classes will have a few 3 star types.

Most P5's will have more 3 stars than 4-5 star types, and they are also usually not as good as the P5's that sign mostly 4-5 star types.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

East TN HAWG

The difference between stars and offers boil down to this.  The individuals that complete the star ranking make a living off of selling magazines.  The individuals that give the offers make their living off winning football games.  The magazine guys are trying to evaluate every athlete.  The coaches are spending more time zeroed in on athletes that meet their skill set level.   

Recruiting gurus look at the big plays.  Most coaches complete a thorough investigation on the kid.  There are reasons why some two star kids have offers from some highly successful programs when some four stars do not. 

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: MissippHog on September 10, 2015, 01:07:40 pm
The #2 player in Oklahoma is a 3* recruit?  Their talent is either down in this class or they are being undervalued.  I would probably lean toward the latter.

Seminole Indian

September 11, 2015, 09:01:21 am #12 Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:54:52 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 11, 2015, 07:57:58 am
The difference between stars and offers boil down to this.  The individuals that complete the star ranking make a living off of selling magazines.  The individuals that give the offers make their living off winning football games.  The magazine guys are trying to evaluate every athlete.  The coaches are spending more time zeroed in on athletes that meet their skill set level.   

Recruiting gurus look at the big plays.  Most coaches complete a thorough investigation on the kid.  There are reasons why some two star kids have offers from some highly successful programs when some four stars do not. 

No you are absolutely wrong, and even these sites don't operate in a vacuum, apart from the college coaches. They know who the elite players they are after, many before they start HS.

Fact is there are simply very few elite athletes available every year, and they tend to go to the elite  P5 schools.

I under stand that fans of non-elite P5 schools (especially the regional powers), want their recruits to have 4-5 stars just like the elite P5 programs recruits , but the fact is they don't get very many of these elite players.

Schools outside of the top 25 or 30 programs get almost none.

Fortunately for the non-elite P5 schools, and the better G5's that sign a good number of them, 17-18 year old kids are very seldom finished product, and lot of the 2-3 star types available to them can be developed into players.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

September 11, 2015, 10:39:05 am #13 Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:13:16 pm by Seminole Indian
I do want to add that i think most of the posters here are on the right track when they point out that pushing the fact that pt will probably come quicker at Arkansas than at one of the elite P5's, and it is fair game to point to all the elite players that have left Arkansas and found that the grass was not greener when it came to actually playing, which you have to do to get to that next level.

The only problem is all elite players think they can play for anyone, right now. Another problem is that Arkansas is one of the few programs not currently counted among the elite P5 programs that lands any of these elite players( I'm really referring to the 5 star payers here). Playing Time may not be as easy to get at Arkansas as it is at other P5's, as some posters here think, but there will almost certainly be fewer elite players to compete against, at any positions than there would be at an elite P5.

Did want to say, and I'm from Tennessee, having a disciplined team is way underrated when it comes to winning.

(Edited note: just wanted to clarify that I was thinking about 5 star types when referring to 'elite' players in that sentence, and to correct the impression that I feel that being, or not being an 'elite' program is etched in stone in another, although it has not changed much over the last 40-50 years. I also understand that Razorback fans might want to challenge me on calling one of the top 25 FBS programs, a non-elite.)