Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kapita goes pro

Started by The Recruiting Guy, September 01, 2015, 09:34:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyHog

Seebs

I wish my job allowed me the option of working in France for a year. Good for this young man.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

zane

RIP LSUfan

RazorPiggie

Vantage 8 dude

Poor M.A. (and the program) can't seem to catch any kind of (good) break lately. Good grief!!

bigdaddyhawg

I still think there's a really good chance he'll make it to the Hill.  He's an important part of Mike's most recent recruiting class.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

trphog

Well that escalated quickly!

RazorPiggie

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 01, 2015, 10:21:42 am
I still think there's a really good chance he'll make it to the Hill.  He's an important part of Mike's most recent recruiting class.

Huh?

For vacation or something?

Adam Stokes

He can't come back to college after going pro...

WooPig90

Lol no.

LRrazorback

Eternal optimist?

WriterWrong

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 01, 2015, 10:20:56 am
Poor M.A. (and the program) can't seem to catch any kind of (good) break lately. Good grief!!

I'm not trying to hate on M.A. or the program, but what other programs have these kinds of things happen all at once? Literally, from the time the season ended, we lost our top four scorers, two early to the draft, had three players get arrested for counterfeit bills, one of those is gone for good, and one of our two good recruits is never coming here.

Basketball programs simply cannot take that many hits and keep moving forward. Anderson may pull out the coaching job of the century this season, but we have taken hit after hit this offseason. We are talent depleted. It's going to be an uphill struggle.

Only time will tell how this plays out, but M.A. and the program not being able to catch a break doesn't seem to fit. There's been a bit of bad luck, for sure. But, the arrests and Kapita not making his grades are things that can be avoided. More Uncommon men in the basketball program could turn things around. Jacorey Williams, Anton Beard, Dustin Thomas and Ted Kapita apparently were not Uncommon, and it has hurt the program.

I don't know what the correct answer is to all of it. It's not all Anderson's fault. Immature kids are going to do dumb, immature stuff. But, this is not a program most coaches would want to touch right now, and that's not good.

If we get Monk, all is forgiven.  ;)

Music City Hog

His new name will be Fred Capita.

Hogsmo Kramer

Man it feels like we're always pissing into the wind.

Ah well it's football season baby so I'm good.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 01, 2015, 10:33:08 am
Huh?

For vacation or something?

Quote from: Adam Stokes on September 01, 2015, 10:36:01 am
He can't come back to college after going pro...

Well, somebody got the subtlety of my sarcasm:

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 01, 2015, 11:16:08 am
His new name will be Fred Capita.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Calling All Hogs

There is also still hope the Arkansas Razorbacks will leave NCAA college basketball and join a European basketball league. Travel might be an issue at first but Jeff can adjust ticket prices if necessary.

Dirty

Don't look up because the sky is falling!

LA Football fan

The sky isn't falling but it sure isn't all rainbows and sunshine.  MA has the luxury of some high level D1 talent coming through this state the next 2-3 years or more.  I suspect, and highly expect him to sign the majority of that talent.  This year's recruiting class is a head scratcher for sure but I think we can overcome it fairly quickly as long as we land this talent.   I think he fully understands the ramifications  on the program and his job if this coming class flops.  I don't think it flops but time will tell.

Razoryak

Another swing and a miss on the recruiting trail for CMA, 2016 signing class better be loaded ....
Woo Pig

NLRHog92

nwahogfan1

No, not Poor Mike because he is cashing checks paid by the POOR FANS for $2+ million a year.   But I get your idea. 

Mike needs to have a great class this year.  I am tried of rebuilding.  Mike is in year 5 so he needs to get this program were instead of constantly rebuilding he is reloading.  All the pieces are in place with the beautiful facilities he has to show off.

Lets see if this staff can land on their feet in November.  If not then changes on the staff need to be made.

Arthur pigby sellers.

"Poor Mike"--If u recruit a player who's not even close to being academically eligible, it's on the staff.  Other schools backed off because of this yet we wasted time and resources.  This past years recruiting class even with one talented player was a major fail. 

LJHOG

You recruit your problems.

WarPig88

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on September 02, 2015, 06:46:16 am
"Poor Mike"--If u recruit a player who's not even close to being academically eligible, it's on the staff.  Other schools backed off because of this yet we wasted time and resources.  This past years recruiting class even with one talented player was a major fail.

He was academically eligible in terms of grade point and test scores. The issue was getting his records from a third world country to certify 3 classes.

Other schools recruited him right up to the time he signed. The notion that we were the only ones willing to take a chance is merely a figment of imagination in the minds of haters.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 02, 2015, 11:58:28 am
The notion that we were the only ones willing to take a chance is merely a figment of imagination in the minds of haters.

Okay, so give us the long, long list of great CBB programs who were recruiting Kapita "to the very end" please.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 02, 2015, 02:55:17 pm
Okay, so give us the long, long list of great CBB programs who were recruiting Kapita "to the very end" please.

You're going to get this thread locked if you aren't careful.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 02, 2015, 03:04:54 pm
This guy is a professional player now.  Does the bashing rule still apply?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 02, 2015, 03:04:54 pm

The other one got locked just when it was getting good!!

WarPig88

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 02, 2015, 02:55:17 pm

Onus is on you to prove your statement.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 02, 2015, 06:09:23 pm
Onus is on you to prove your statement.

Whaaaaa????

You said we were just one of several program after him til he signed with us.

So give the impressive list of all those other top notch programs still recruiting him hard to the end.

You made the allegation, not me.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 02, 2015, 10:39:45 pm
Whaaaaa????

You said we were just one of several program after him til he signed with us.

So give the impressive list of all those other top notch programs still recruiting him hard to the end.

You made the allegation, not me.
I'll answer it.
Anyone with half a brain knows what happened with Kapita.
He was a four-star recruit, and ordinarily you would see some 'big dog' programs, at least one of them, in the mix for a guy ranked in the Top 50. (No, Arkansas isn't a 'big dog' program anymore). Very few disputed Kapita's potential or his ranking.
But they weren't. Just read between the lines and get a clue and you would know that the big shots were leery of either his academics or injuries, or both. They could afford to be a little more choosy so they passed on him.
That left the 'next level' schools like Memphis, Oregon, Arkansas, etc who can't be so choosy, and to Ark's credit, they got him. But they took on that risk, and got burned.
Not saying that a guy like Kapita would never choose an Ark, Ore, or Memphis over bigger programs like Kan, KY, UNC, Louisville, etc but I am saying that not one of those bigger programs was in his final list told me a lot. Just read between the lines.
End of story.

WarPig88

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 02, 2015, 11:53:13 pm
I'll answer it.
Anyone with half a brain knows what happened with Kapita.
He was a four-star recruit, and ordinarily you would see some 'big dog' programs, at least one of them, in the mix for a guy ranked in the Top 50. (No, Arkansas isn't a 'big dog' program anymore). Very few disputed Kapita's potential or his ranking.
But they weren't. Just read between the lines and get a clue and you would know that the big shots were leery of either his academics or injuries, or both. They could afford to be a little more choosy so they passed on him.
That left the 'next level' schools like Memphis, Oregon, Arkansas, etc who can't be so choosy, and to Ark's credit, they got him. But they took on that risk, and got burned.
Not saying that a guy like Kapita would never choose an Ark, Ore, or Memphis over bigger programs like Kan, KY, UNC, Louisville, etc but I am saying that not one of those bigger programs was in his final list told me a lot. Just read between the lines.
End of story.

There are lots of guys in Kapita's range who don't hold basketball royalty offers. Lee Mayberry and Todd Day were MDAAs and didn't have those offers.

Florida had him for an official visit for one.

Instead of reading between the lines, how about just plain reading.

Here is a link for you that shows just how off base you guys are.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/201949/ted-kapita

Razoryak

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 03, 2015, 12:50:39 am
There are lots of guys in Kapita's range who don't hold basketball royalty offers. Lee Mayberry and Todd Day were MDAAs and didn't have those offers.

Florida had him for an official visit for one.

Instead of reading between the lines, how about just plain reading.

Here is a link for you that shows just how off base you guys are.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/201949/ted-kapita

There are a lot of CMA haters on here and you are a CMA apologist and both are ok, as everyone has a right to their opinion. I call myself a realist, this staff has struggled to recruit for 5 years. Its the reason our talent/depth is lacking. I am not calling them bad coaches or bad people. They have just flat out struggled to not only recruit enough talent, but also to retain it.

Hopefully the new facility helps with that, but that trend must change for us to remain a respectable program year after year.
Woo Pig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seebs on September 01, 2015, 09:53:01 am
I wish my job allowed me the option of working in France for a year. Good for this young man.

You can always do as he did and get a new job........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Razoryak on September 03, 2015, 05:16:53 pm
There are a lot of CMA haters on here and you are a CMA apologist and both are ok, as everyone has a right to their opinion. I call myself a realist, this staff has struggled to recruit for 5 years. Its the reason our talent/depth is lacking. I am not calling them bad coaches or bad people. They have just flat out struggled to not only recruit enough talent, but also to retain it.

Hopefully the new facility helps with that, but that trend must change for us to remain a respectable program year after year.
I don't know about that. Definitely not a 'hater' here.
I love Mike. He's classy, professional, loves the Hogs, loves Arkansas, never makes excuses, and represents the UA very well.
He's a good coach and a fairly good recruiter.
Add that all up and you get a 'good' coach. Just not great.
And that's my only complaint. You're going to get good results with him, and he's produced good results everywhere he's been, but if you're looking for someone to restore the 'glory days' and get back to the top of the mountain, then he's probably not your guy. The #1 reason is probably what is being discussed here---recruiting.
Last year proved what he could do, as getting 27 wins out of team with good talent(but certainly not great) was a great job.
When the job was open, I was looking for someone who was great, or had potential for greatness, and I just didn't see it in Mike.
But I hope to be badly wrong in the next few years.

Rzbakfromwaybak

The sky is not really falling.......it's just getting closer to the ground....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.