Tex A&M QB Weigman out for season

Started by Johnnie5, September 27, 2023, 11:19:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie5

Johnnie5

This can be deleted, just saw other thread

jbcarol

Weigman shares message to Texas A&M fans after injury

Quote"It has been a wild week, but wanted to say I really appreciated everyone who has reached out with their support and prayers, especially all of my Aggie family!" Weigman wrote, along with a heart emoji. "It's a tough pill to swallow knowing I won't be able to be in the foxhole with the boys for the rest of the season, I love everyone one of them like a brother and I already know the show will go on! In the [meantime] we are going to eat rehab for breakfast, while being the biggest Aggie cheerleader there is. Excited to watch my guys put on a show."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Finebaum believes A&M has a chance in SEC West with Max Johnson at QB

Quote"As I was watching the game, I thought that if A&M won this game — watch out," Finebaum told ESPN's Matt Barrie on Sunday. "They needed momentum and they have it now. They've beaten two very average teams, but they've gotten out of it what they needed to get out of it, with momentum heading into Kyle Field on Saturday.

"I think the feeling at A&M — and I was there a week ago — was that [they believe] they can beat Alabama. This is not two years ago when this was a pipe dream and they know they can beat Alabama.

"Alabama's defense has been fantastic, but Alabama's offense has moments," Finebaum continued. "This is going to be a different challenge than Ole Miss, but I agree — Max Johnson is dialing it up and we've seen it before. The guy we didn't talk about comes in and leads the team to something special."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

First and 10: Jimbo built A&M for this specific Alabama challenge

Matt Hayes | 1 MINUTE AGO

QuoteIt all fell apart for Fisher at FSU because he began to miss on quarterback recruits.

They weren't the right fit, they couldn't stay eligible, they had behavior problems. Or they just weren't good enough.

When Fisher arrived at Texas A&M, he inherited a former blue-chip recruit (Kellen Mond), but his struggles of recruiting the most important position on the field continued.

From 2018-2021, Fisher recruited 4 quarterbacks: James Foster. Zach Calzada. Haynes King and Eli Stowers. None is on this roster.

It wasn't until 2022, when Fisher landed 5-star Conner Weigman that the program had the potential of an elite, game-changing quarterback. At the same time, Fisher added Johnson from the portal to compete with King for the starting job while Weigman figured it out.

King won the job, and then got benched after a shocking loss to App State. Johnson started 3 games before getting injured, and King took over (and wasn't better) before Weigman finally got his shot and gave Fisher his first elite quarterback since a guy named Jameis at FSU.

With the 7-loss season of 2022 close in the rearview and that fat contract shadowing every game (and an ugly loss to Miami in Week 2), Weigman broke a bone is his foot 2 weeks ago and was lost for the season.

Now Johnson, who could have — and probably should have — transferred from Texas A&M after it was clear Weigman was the future, has a chance to steer a championship-caliber team. The Aggies are 2-0 in the SEC for the first time under Fisher because the offense hasn't hesitated under Johnson.

He has 4 TD passes in those 2 starts, and the Aggies haven't really been stressed offensively. This, of course, shouldn't be surprising considering Johnson has a career TD/INT ratio of 44/8 in 22 career starts.

And now he has a complete team behind him.