Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nick Babb commits to Hogs

Started by CalicoHawgFan, August 12, 2013, 06:01:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CalicoHawgFan

I didn't see it anywhere else in here so I didn't know if anyone noticed but this is a really big pick up.

Swinesong1

Was moved to JumpBall for some reason.

Hawgfan27

Why was nick not recruited? Isn't this the recruiting forum? Sheesh

discombobulationist

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 12, 2013, 06:03:19 am
Was moved to JumpBall for some reason.
Quote from: Hawgfan27 on August 12, 2013, 06:27:37 am
Why was nick not recruited? Isn't this the recruiting forum? Sheesh

I think it's because the regular jump ball crowd took it over and the thread deteriorated into something ugly. Lord knows we can't just be happy that we picked up a great recruit. Some people have to find something to complain about.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

jbell96

Right now our 2014 class is rated #7 in the country on ESPN & Mike isn't done yet.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jbell96 on August 14, 2013, 10:55:22 am
Right now our 2014 class is rated #7 in the country on ESPN & Mike isn't done yet.

Mentioned this in another thread, but we only have one spot left with two likely candidates (both 3 stars). Most of the top rated players haven't picked schools. We aren't going to get any higher than 7th and will likely finish around 20 or so. Still pretty good, but just preparing people who might be expecting that ranking to hold or improve. Not going to happen.

The_Iceman

With Mike's teams and how he builds a program, we just need to be in the Top 25 nationally. We aren't looking to load up on one and dones. Mike wants to get players in here and develop them for 4 years, while maybe having 1 or 2 sprinkled in there that may leave after 1 or 2 years (Monk, Portis, etc.)

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 14, 2013, 11:14:26 am
With Mike's teams and how he builds a program, we just need to be in the Top 25 nationally. We aren't looking to load up on one and dones. Mike wants to get players in here and develop them for 4 years, while maybe having 1 or 2 sprinkled in there that may leave after 1 or 2 years (Monk, Portis, etc.)

Top 20-25 for this class would be great because this class was really looked at as another "in between class" like 2012. We're going after elite guards in 2015 and 2016. I don't think most people were expecting much out of the 2014 class but it's ended up being pretty good (on paper).

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 14, 2013, 11:22:55 am
Top 20-25 for this class would be great because this class was really looked at as another "in between class" like 2012. We're going after elite guards in 2015 and 2016. I don't think most people were expecting much out of the 2014 class but it's ended up being pretty good (on paper).
I'm not bashing this class by any means but I'm surprised we are rated as high as we are. 247 has us at #12 and they have our recruits as one 4 star, and two 3 stars. I just figure it takes more than that to be #12? I'm happy with who we have and they all seem like great fits more than anything.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 14, 2013, 02:41:52 pm
I'm not bashing this class by any means but I'm surprised we are rated as high as we are. 247 has us at #12 and they have our recruits as one 4 star, and two 3 stars. I just figure it takes more than that to be #12? I'm happy with who we have and they all seem like great fits more than anything.

It's just like with the football rankings before all of our recent commitments. We were rated really low because we didn't have a lot of verbals. We're on the higher end in basketball because our class is almost full and they're all decently rated players and most schools haven't really started getting commitments (at least the bigger schools). 15 of the 24 ESPN 5 stars haven't picked a school yet. I think we'll settle in the 18-25 range for most services.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 14, 2013, 02:46:33 pm
It's just like with the football rankings before all of our recent commitments. We were rated really low because we didn't have a lot of verbals. We're on the higher end in basketball because our class is almost full and they're all decently rated players and most schools haven't really started getting commitments (at least the bigger schools). 15 of the 24 ESPN 5 stars haven't picked a school yet. I think we'll settle in the 18-25 range for most services.
Good to know, thanks. I don't suppose we'll get any of those 5 stars? Lol

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 14, 2013, 02:50:02 pm
Good to know, thanks. I don't suppose we'll get any of those 5 stars? Lol

Not unless Babb can talk his boy Myles Turner into putting us back in the mix.

It's looking Blanton or Hudson will be our final commit (assuming no one else early, which shouldn't happen this year - finally).

sooiepig_12

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 14, 2013, 02:52:27 pm
Not unless Babb can talk his boy Myles Turner into putting us back in the mix.

It's looking Blanton or Hudson will be our final commit (assuming no one else early, which shouldn't happen this year - finally).
Which one do you think it will be and which one do you want it to be?

Hawg Red

Quote from: sooiepig_12 on August 14, 2013, 03:06:07 pm

Haven't familiarized myself with either one enough yet to have a preference.

The_Iceman

Quote from: sooiepig_12 on August 14, 2013, 03:06:07 pm

I'd rather have Hudson. Better shooter, similar size. We aren't really in need of more SF types, but a combo guard like Hudson can allow you to play a 3 guard set and not give up too much bc of his height.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 14, 2013, 03:28:14 pm
I'd rather have Hudson. Better shooter, similar size. We aren't really in need of more SF types, but a combo guard like Hudson can allow you to play a 3 guard set and not give up too much bc of his height.

Just took a look a highlight reel for Blanton. Now, I know, it's just a highlight reel, but I wasn't all that impressed. I like what I've read about Hudson and how he's game is described. For now, I'm leaning there. Could replace a lot of the things Madden does.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 14, 2013, 03:34:18 pm
Just took a look a highlight reel for Blanton. Now, I know, it's just a highlight reel, but I wasn't all that impressed. I like what I've read about Hudson and how he's game is described. For now, I'm leaning there. Could replace a lot of the things Madden does.

There are full game videos online of Blanton. Wasn't blown away.

The_Bionic_Pig

Here's a eval by RazorAg on the before mentioned candidates for the final scholarship: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=543896.msg8323613#msg8323613
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 14, 2013, 04:12:04 pm
There are full game videos online of Blanton. Wasn't blown away.

Yea, I agree, I watched 2 full games of him in AAU ball, nothing that really blows you away.  He's a solid athlete though.  I think he would be a solid player in this system, he's more of a slasher, which is something that wouldn't hurt us having right now, because we don't have many atm. With that said, I'm still on the Hudson bandwagon.

LittleRockHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 14, 2013, 03:28:14 pm

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 14, 2013, 03:10:25 pm
Haven't familiarized myself with either one enough yet to have a preference.

A night of research has me firmly in Hudson's corner. Kid has real sleeper potential. Really nice size for a guard. Nice handle and shot. Nice lift. Seems like a really good kid. Comes from a good HS program.

Just not really feeling Blanton. Seems like a mid-major player to me. Hudson has more in the toolbox.

RazorAg

When it comes to researching these two players, Hudson and Blanton, there is simply more info out there on Blanton. Also, in Blanton's corner is the fact that more big boys have reportedly offered him, even though he's not considering some of them in his final six (were some not committable?).

I've said over and over again that from an offensive standpoint, shooting is really what we needed in this class, of course, in addition to an excellent PG. So, I'd love to have two wings that can shoot it. Blanton's developing there. Hudson? From everything out there, looks like his has potential but if you really dig, you also find that some people say he's inconsistent from the perimeter.

You also don't find anything on Hudson's defensive ability, and we know Coach A really likes that. Blanton is lauded for his defensive ability. Also, there are reported concerns with Hudson's motor and focus, whereas Blanton is lauded for his motor. Nothing about Hudson's toughness, but Blanton is lauded for his toughness. Blanton is also an extremely productive scorer although most of it is on drives, but he does bring a scoring punch, which we need. Hudson has been in the limelight playing at SVSM since last year. Why the delayed interest.

One more point that really has a lot of value with me. The guys at HoopSeen.com, a Georgia based eval/recruiting/camp company, really, really like Blanton. They rate him above several higher rated players.

My gut says that Hudson is more skilled and has higher potential, but Blanton could be more productive on both ends. Just a gut, though.

Hudson gets the first visit.

All considerations. I think we'll probably be fine with either.

Razorod

The key with Blanton may well be: does he actually set up a visit and make it here?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

I'm just not sold on how Blanton's game will translate to the college level. At 6'4"-6'5", he shoots it from his chin with his elbow out slightly. It just doesn't look like something we can count on. In the little video I've seen of Hudson, I see more potential in his game, however the concerns about his motor are valid, especially in our system.

-Blu

Quote from: Razorod on August 15, 2013, 07:38:49 am
The key with Blanton may well be: does he actually set up a visit and make it here?

He had an interview on the radio with rd last week, said he will definitely take a visit to Arkansas in early september just waiting to see what day his dad is able to take off from work.  Said hes bringing his whole family, so their is definitely strong interest from Blanton.  Also hes only gaurnteeing 3 schools will get a visit said the 4th and 5th visits are up in the air right now.

Swinesong1

Quote from: RazorAg on August 15, 2013, 07:09:44 am
When it comes to researching these two players, Hudson and Blanton, there is simply more info out there on Blanton. Also, in Blanton's corner is the fact that more big boys have reportedly offered him, even though he's not considering some of them in his final six (were some not committable?).

I've said over and over again that from an offensive standpoint, shooting is really what we needed in this class, of course, in addition to an excellent PG. So, I'd love to have two wings that can shoot it. Blanton's developing there. Hudson? From everything out there, looks like his has potential but if you really dig, you also find that some people say he's inconsistent from the perimeter.

You also don't find anything on Hudson's defensive ability, and we know Coach A really likes that. Blanton is lauded for his defensive ability. Also, there are reported concerns with Hudson's motor and focus, whereas Blanton is lauded for his motor. Nothing about Hudson's toughness, but Blanton is lauded for his toughness. Blanton is also an extremely productive scorer although most of it is on drives, but he does bring a scoring punch, which we need. Hudson has been in the limelight playing at SVSM since last year. Why the delayed interest.

One more point that really has a lot of value with me. The guys at HoopSeen.com, a Georgia based eval/recruiting/camp company, really, really like Blanton. They rate him above several higher rated players.

My gut says that Hudson is more skilled and has higher potential, but Blanton could be more productive on both ends. Just a gut, though.

Hudson gets the first visit.

All considerations. I think we'll probably be fine with either.
Maybe there's some video(s) out there that will sale me on favoring Blanton over Hudson, but after viewing the pick-up game video and partial video of three of his games, Hudson screams "versatile scorer".  He may have an inconsistent outside shot, but his form is pretty good and he is very adept at putting the ball on the floor with either hand and creating his shot.  That, to me, is what is needed more than a shooter.  It's someone who can create his own shot.  His is very smooth with the ball in his hands and is a sneaky offensive rebounder.  I'd be happy with either but Hudson is my pick.  Unless, they can convince Josh Cunningham to leave Big Ten country.  Then, I'd go with Hudson, Cunningham or Blanton.  In that order.

Pistol Pig Maravich

This is entire thread is about everything, BUT Nick Babb......in any case....good info.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Pistol Pig Maravich on August 15, 2013, 10:10:33 am
This is entire thread is about everything, BUT Nick Babb......in any case....good info.
There's a four page thread on his commitment on Jump Ball.  This thread was started afterwards.  And per Hogville tradition, subject was changed.  Lol

RazorAg

Swinesong, I do like his scoring capability, although it's not been proven on the big stage.  Skills look to be there.  Production?  Also, I just think some that are labeling him as a shooter need to tap the breaks a little.  I've talked to people in VA and OH about Hudson over the past few weeks, and the the most common opinion is that he's streaky.  He played 14 games in the Nike EYBL this past season, and he was 8-31 (.258) from three and 39-102 (.382) from the field.  That said, he was 21-24 (.875) from the FT line.

Again, my gut says he's ceiling is very high, and I agree, shot-creation ability is a big need in this class, but there's just not enough info out there, IMO, to conclude anything confidently.