Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA-asu game an issue in the Governors race?

Started by NEAHAWG, May 10, 2006, 09:34:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwarazfan

Ole Miss and Miss St realized that they cannot afford to financially divide a poor state.  Despite Kicking Wings economic ignorance(understandable knowing ASU's AD financial standing each year), it takes money to be competitive in the big time like the SEC.  States like Alabama, Tenn, Ga and Fl have money and that is why the super rich schools like Florida and Tenn have been so good.  Again IMO, due to the strong NWA economy its now not that big of a risk for us to play ASU. They just don't deserve the respect.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: Kicking Wing on May 11, 2006, 10:26:06 am
You will not meet one person outside of this state that doesn't find the policy against playing in state schools plain silly. 

You won't find one person outside the state that actually gives a flying crap one way or the other who the Razorbacks play or don't play.

hogfan064

Quote from: nwarazfan on May 11, 2006, 11:10:09 am
Ole Miss and Miss St realized that they cannot afford to financially divide a poor state.  Despite Kicking Wings economic ignorance(understandable knowing ASU's AD financial standing each year), it takes money to be competitive in the big time like the SEC.  States like Alabama, Tenn, Ga and Fl have money and that is why the super rich schools like Florida and Tenn have been so good.  Again IMO, due to the strong NWA economy its now not that big of a risk for us to play ASU. They just don't deserve the respect.

I think Ole Miss and MSU both were tired of losing to Southern Miss.  USM is nothing like ASU though.  USM is a school that has many conference titles and appears in a bowl every year.  They also have a larger fan base. And they are home to future Hall of Fame QB.   They also have a strong baseball program and a basketball program that has had its moments. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 11:19:33 am
Quote from: nwarazfan on May 11, 2006, 11:10:09 am

I think Ole Miss and MSU both were tired of losing to Southern Miss.  USM is nothing like ASU though.  USM is a school that has many conference titles and appears in a bowl every year.  They also have a larger fan base. And they are home to future Hall of Fame QB.   They also have a strong baseball program and a basketball program that has had its moments. 

I'm familiar with S Miss.  More factors go into these decisions than just W and Ls.  And I'm sure the fans were tired of losing to SM. 

Allister Fiend

I can't believe ASU and USM are being compared in the first place. That's like comparing Missouri State with Mizzou. It's just silly from the start.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Allister Fiend on May 11, 2006, 11:30:07 am
I can't believe ASU and USM are being compared in the first place. That's like comparing Missouri State with Mizzou. It's just silly from the start.

What? Nobody is comparing their programs. Damn.  Comparing the situations in Miss to Ark. and that OM and MsSt no longer play S Miss. 

hogfan064

Quote from: Allister Fiend on May 11, 2006, 11:30:07 am

They aren't being compared. The reason USM was brought up is because someone stated that the SEC Mississippi Schools don't play USM.  I was pointing out that the schools have all played before and the reason that they quit playing Southern Miss appears to be because the Golden Eagles were beating the 2 schools. 

hogfan064

USM actually played Ole Miss and MSU in baseball this year. 

They beat Ole Miss in the only game they played in Pearl, MS

They beat MSU twice in Starkville

Allister Fiend

My mistake. Then it is like comparing ASU playing Arkansas with Tennessee Martin playing the Vols. There, that's more like it.

lyon98

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 10:43:32 am
And as far as this thing about ASU fans having to choose who to cheer for.  Well, living in South Carolina their are plenty of Citadel, Furman, Wofford, SC State, and Coastal fans that are big fans of USC.  When those schools play Clemson or USC, they continue to pull for USC or they pull for their alma matter.  It doesn't create any great mental distress for them.

The Citadel beat SC 7 times. They used to play annually, during the state fair, but either Paul Dietzel stopped that or the move of the state fair from Orangeburg did. They beat some good SC teams.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

lyon98

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 11:50:02 am
USM actually played Ole Miss and MSU in baseball this year. 

They beat Ole Miss in the only game they played in Pearl, MS

They beat MSU twice in Starkville
They damn sure quit playing southern miss in football.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

10thPlanet

Nothing to be skeered of....Play them, beat them. If we lose to ASU, fire the coach. If we lose by a lot, pull every scholarship, start them all as walk ons, and make them earn it. The UofA would never lose, and I'm tired of the Mo.St, and LA directionals of the world. This game would at least be interesting, fan wise. When was the last time we had any discussions about playing ULM, and we haven't even scheduled ASU.

hogfan064

Quote from: lyon98 on May 11, 2006, 11:59:31 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 10:43:32 am
And as far as this thing about ASU fans having to choose who to cheer for.  Well, living in South Carolina their are plenty of Citadel, Furman, Wofford, SC State, and Coastal fans that are big fans of USC.  When those schools play Clemson or USC, they continue to pull for USC or they pull for their alma matter.  It doesn't create any great mental distress for them.

And Ray Tanner and Dave Odom both aren't afraid to play The Citadel in Charleston
The Citadel beat SC 7 times. They used to play annually, during the state fair, but either Paul Dietzel stopped that or the move of the state fair from Orangeburg did. They beat some good SC teams.

They last played in 1990 and The Citadel won 38-35.  USC-The Citadel play next year actually and a couple years after that.  They play each other in baseball and basketball every year

The Master Of All

Mike Beebe received his law degree from the University of Arkansas.  He, like everyone else, recognizes the polarity of the issue and also the fact that it is completely unimportant for the future of Arkansas.  No one should get their political knowledge from a message board, but do not let the UA-ASU issue taint your decision on who will lead our state.
Without me, you people would just be confused.

nwarazfan

Quote from: The Master Of All on May 11, 2006, 12:11:03 pm
Mike Beebe received his law degree from the University of Arkansas.  He, like everyone else, recognizes the polarity of the issue and also the fact that it is completely unimportant for the future of Arkansas.  No one should get their political knowledge from a message board, but do not let the UA-ASU issue taint your decision on who will lead our state.

Because ASU has never had a law school.  Beebe has publicly made his feelings known on ASU and the UA. 

mikeirwin

Quote from: Kicking Wing on May 11, 2006, 10:26:06 am

If Texas and LSU can do it then so could you guys.
You guys ? Why are there so many of "you guys" on a Razorback board ? What do you hope to gain here? I'm sure there's some sort of Indian Nation board where YOU GUYS gather and stew over Frank's refusal to acknowledge you. What does he call YOU GUYS ?
Oh yeah, JONESBORO.

indianhog

May 11, 2006, 01:05:48 pm #116 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 01:12:54 pm by indianhog
n/mI do not for a minute believe Arkansas fans don't care about ASU and the idea of playing the Indians. When you don't care about something you ignore it. You just let it die. You don't let the issue drag over multiple pages of a message board thread. You don't make multiple posts about how little you care about it.

When you don't care about an issue, as all the NWA talking heads/talk show hosts assereted during the WNIT event, you don't spend the majority of your show, over a week's time, discussing it.

There is nothing funnier than hearing/reading from people what a waste of time this discussion is as they waste their time and mine discussing what a waste the discussion is. If it's such a waste, shut up about it.

P.S. As somebody that saw both teams play last year on mutliple occasions, the talent levels on the field were much closer than people would like to admit.

lyon98

Quote from: indianhog on May 11, 2006, 01:05:48 pm

P.S. As somebody that saw both teams play last year on mutliple occasions, the talent levels on the field were much closer than people would like to admit.

Even tho I didn't see  asu play, I will take exception to this. However, if you had said coaching talent, who would disaagree?
What Is A Veteran?

indianhog

May 11, 2006, 01:15:09 pm #118 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 01:17:21 pm by indianhog
Quote from: lyon98 on May 11, 2006, 01:12:32 pm

Even tho I didn't see  asu play, I will take exception to this. However, if you had said coaching talent, who would disaagree?

I'm not for a second saying ASU/UA were equal in talent, especially depth, but they were a lot closer than I would have expected. I'm not saying ASU would have won. Far from it. I'm just saying the talent was much closer than I would have expected. Coaching at ASU is top-notch as well and that probably made the talent look better than it was just as questionable coaching can make good players look worse than they are.

HogJoeHelm

n/mI do not for a minute believe Arkansas fans don't care about ASU and the idea of playing the Indians. When you don't care about something you ignore it. You just let it die. You don't let the issue drag over multiple pages of a message board thread. You don't make multiple posts about how little you care about it.

When you don't care about an issue, as all the NWA talking heads/talk show hosts assereted during the WNIT event, you don't spend the majority of your show, over a week's time, discussing it.

There is nothing funnier than hearing/reading from people what a waste of time this discussion is as they waste their time and mine discussing what a waste the discussion is. If it's such a waste, shut up about it.

Right, because we have Dmac, Felix Jones, Hillis, Monk, etc.  and you guys have....

Well, at least you still have.....

But there's always.....

I don't even think you're coach knows who plays on that team.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: nwarazfan on May 11, 2006, 10:58:21 am
I understand sarcasm.  That was just stupidity. 
Nice mature post there sport.

Amazing how fired up some people get over this.  Trust me, I understand the "economics" of it.  They are way overblown.  Talk about paranoia.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Allister Fiend on May 11, 2006, 11:58:45 am
My mistake. Then it is like comparing ASU playing Arkansas with Tennessee Martin playing the Vols. There, that's more like it.
really??  ASU is far ahead of UTM in the pecking order and UT is slightly ahead of UA.  I don't see how that is comparable.  ASU beat UTM 63-7 the last time and it is never much closer.  It's much more like Memphis vs. UT.  Memphis is about the same degree above ASU as UT is above UA.

Kicking Wing

All right, I am done with this discussion.  Once every 6 months is enough for me and it really is pointless to argue about such trivial matters that aren't going to change.  Feel free to PM me if aynoe wants to discuss it rationally and calmly.

hogshank

Quote from: Kicking Wing on May 11, 2006, 10:31:55 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 10:15:35 am
Quote from: codeHog on May 11, 2006, 10:05:51 am
Any Hog fan that is too dang dumb to realize that playing asu would be bad for the UofA, needs to take long look in the mirror because they don't really love the HOGS

Ok I love the HOGS, but I still want to play them.  Please explain to me how playing ASU is bad for the program.

Florida plays UCF
Tennessee plays Memphis
South Carolina plays Citadel, Furman, and Wofford
WVU plays Marshall
LSU plays Tulane and ULM
Oklahoma is playing AT Tulsa

You are obviously one of the more mature and wise people on this board.  This shouldn't be a big deal.  All the schools should schedule each other when possible and just get over it.  The world will not end and I promise you that it is not going to elevate or diminish anyone's standing to play a few games.

I for one cannot wait until UCA gets their scholarships up so we can trash them instead of UTM. :)

Soooo........He's mature and wise because his point of view and yours happen to coincide? Listen you ASU Nazi, if you want these schools to play, then become competitive first. Otherwise there is no incentive. Instead, your school focuses on trying to badger people into being ASU fans with their "Paint the Town Red" campaigns and what not. The funny thing is, Hog licence plates in Jonesboro outnumer Indian license plates about 8 to 1. If you live in Jonesboro, you know it is true. Why dont you admit that what you really want is charity. And its fine to want or need charity, but you people are disingenuous about it. And the hatred your 10 or 20 diehard fans shows to the U of A, is unbecoming, laughable, and out of touch with the feelings of the majority of your "fan base"

Pig Pumper

The University playing ASU legitimizes them.

Arkansas has had to work a long and hard time to become a legitimate football school that makes noise on the national scene.  ASU wants to ride on our coattails and have us do the work for them.  It's just like Ole Miss v. Miss. State.

Any Hog fan who says we should play them is retarded.  The arguments about keeping money in the state are ridiculous.  Go ask LSU fans what they think about having to play other La. schools.

NEAHAWG

May 11, 2006, 01:41:47 pm #125 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 03:01:03 pm by NEAHAWG
Quote from: Kicking Wing on May 11, 2006, 01:24:51 pm
All right, I am done with this discussion.  Once every 6 months is enough for me and it really is pointless to argue about such trivial matters that aren't going to change.  Feel free to PM me if aynoe wants to discuss it rationally and calmly.
Well once every six months is too much for hog fans, most of us do not desire a game with stAte anytime anywhere for any reason.  You are not a fan of the Razorbacks.

lyon98

Hogshank, only thing wrong with your post is, if asu were really competive there is no way in hell UA would play them. It would be just like ole miss and msu playing mississippi southern.
What Is A Veteran?

lyon98

Quote from: Pig Pumper on May 11, 2006, 01:40:49 pm
  Go ask LSU fans what they think about having to play other La. schools.

What do they think about UA plaing their directional schools?
What Is A Veteran?

hogfan064

nwarazfan

The only thing discussed about the WNIT Event was the behavior of the ASU fans and not the actual game itself. 

HoopS

hogfan064

Quote from: hoophogs on May 11, 2006, 01:47:57 pm
UA vs ASU =  Nebraska vs Creighton

Creighton isn't a Division 1 school.  So that's not true

hogfan064

Arkansas is the only school in the nation that plays no instate schools in any sport

HoopS

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 01:48:55 pm
Quote from: hoophogs on May 11, 2006, 01:47:57 pm
UA vs ASU =  Nebraska vs Creighton

Creighton isn't a Division 1 school.  So that's not true

yeah, I kinda knew that.   :P

HoopS

hogfan064

Quote from: hoophogs on May 11, 2006, 01:50:30 pm
will Texas vs North Texas work?

I made that comparison about 60 posts ago

hogshank

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 01:49:40 pm
Arkansas is the only school in the nation that plays no instate schools in any sport

I'd also wager we're the only school on the AP top 20 since 19whatever, with a population this small.

hogfan064

North Texas is 0-8 against Texas BTW.  Last game was in 2004

jvegashawg

Quote from: nwarazfan on May 11, 2006, 01:46:43 pm

The only thing discussed about the WNIT Event was the behavior of the ASU fans and not the actual game itself. 

Their "fans" rushing the court was pure comedy.  Wonder how many of them could've named three starters on the team?

HoopS

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 01:51:10 pm

ahhh, sorry.  I just picked up on this thread and chimed in.

nwarazfan

So what?  Many of those other large state schools wouldn't play in state schools either if not for political pressure including legislation.  Baylor wouldn't have been in the Big 12 if not for political pressure placed on Texas.  You act like the UA is the only school in the country that doesn't care to play lower level in state schools for legitimate reasons.  BTW- Is Mo St on Mizzou's schedule football or basketball?

hogfan064

Quote from: hoophogs on May 11, 2006, 01:54:30 pm

Oh I don't blame you for not reading all the posts. I probably wouldn't either  I was in agreement with you that UNT-UT is a fair comparison.  Sorry if I came off like a jerk, that wasn't intended

HoopS

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 01:57:54 pm
Quote from: hoophogs on May 11, 2006, 01:54:30 pm

Oh I don't blame you for not reading all the posts. I probably wouldn't either  I was in agreement with you that UNT-UT is a fair comparison.  Sorry if I came off like a jerk, that wasn't intended

Nah, I didn't take it that way.  And no, I  most certainly did not scroll back threw this thread...  read a few, then skipped to the end. 

hogfan064

Quote from: nwarazfan on May 11, 2006, 01:56:11 pm

So what?  Many of those other large state schools wouldn't play in state schools either if not for political pressure including legislation.  Baylor wouldn't have been in the Big 12 if not for political pressure placed on Texas.  You act like the UA is the only school in the country that doesn't care to play lower level in state schools for legitimate reasons.  BTW- Is Mo St on Mizzou's schedule football or basketball?

Mizzou State is 1-AA in football, but Mizzou did play the Bears once

In baseball this year they played each other twice.

lyon98

But they have.
What Is A Veteran?

hogfan064

Quote from: lyon98 on May 11, 2006, 02:08:12 pm

But they have.

True, but it hasn't been in a long time.

THROWITDEEP

This game will happen in the future and it doesn't matter what we think about it.

lyon98

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 02:08:56 pm

But they have.

I was there.
What Is A Veteran?

hogfan064

Last time we played an Arkansas team was Arkansas-Monticello in 1944

lyon98

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 11, 2006, 02:08:56 pm

But they have.

The Hogs were so interested in the game, they loaned the visiting team thier travel uniforms.20-12, visitors. They thought it would be a good scrimmage. It was.
What Is A Veteran?