Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reasons why The University of Arkansas should never play Arkansas State

Started by jburcka, October 05, 2008, 08:03:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

El Puerco

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on October 06, 2008, 12:03:45 pm
The debate rages on.  And the same posters who were against it before, still are.

Let's not pretend that you've ever missed out on pushing your own agenda in one of these in-state school threads.  Let it go.  By your own admission you're not a Hog fan so why do you even care?

honkyfool

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 06, 2008, 02:25:16 pm
I can't believe you still don't get it.  You never will.
He got it right.  I bet some of the ones who are against ASU playing UA are the same ones that were against the 9 black kids attending Little Rock Central.

slowride

Biggest reason is we might lose, and we can't afford a loss to an in-state team.  In fact we need to schedule just schedule teams that we are practically guaranteed to beat, like Army, and bad div. II teams.  We are locked into a match-up with A&M, but at least they aren't any better than us.

hogdiggity

This topic is so polarizing, maybe that is enough reason to not play it.  My feelings are why not but if it makes everyone get so angry one way or another, not sure it would be worth it, at least not till a lot of folks get over the former coach staff more, still a lot of bad feelings out there, and no I am not a hugger

honkyfool

Quote from: slowride on October 06, 2008, 02:27:41 pm
Biggest reason is we might lose, and we can't afford a loss to an in-state team.  In fact we need to schedule just schedule teams that we are practically guaranteed to beat, like Army, and bad div. II teams.  We are locked into a match-up with A&M, but at least they aren't any better than us.

Why can't we afford to lose to an in-state team?

Hogginitall

Quote from: honkyfool on October 06, 2008, 02:26:59 pm
He got it right.  I bet some of the ones who are against ASU playing UA are the same ones that were against the 9 black kids attending Little Rock Central.

You are nutty.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: jburcka on October 05, 2008, 08:03:03 pm
Im trying to explain this to a friend of mine and I could use a little help.  I have mentioned us being a small state with a very small recruiting base, a possible loss would loose us booster dollars and many fans.  I also explained that people may stop giving money to the educational side of the University of Arkansas thus lowering the value of the degree in the long term.

I need some more reasons and any economic/educational factors that go with playing a in state team would really help the most (he is not that concerned with our athletic reasons, he instead believes that us playing them would help the population of arkansas the reaches a higher education).

Because College Football is a business.  And that game's risk does not equal its reward.

slowride

Quote from: honkyfool on October 06, 2008, 02:28:56 pm
Why can't we afford to lose to an in-state team?

Because we could lose too many recruits and it would damage the perception of the program.  Right now we have a lot to be proud of.  We play in the best conference in the nation and have had success in recent years in that conference.  If we lost to ASU, it would bring us down to their level in the minds of our recruits and they might decide to go there instead.

honkyfool

Quote from: slowride on October 06, 2008, 02:35:16 pm
Because we could lose too many recruits and it would damage the perception of the program.  Right now we have a lot to be proud of.  We play in the best conference in the nation and have had success in recent years in that conference.  If we lost to ASU, it would bring us down to their level in the minds of our recruits and they might decide to go there instead.

OMG it seems alot of people on here went to the Houston Nutt school of excuses.  If we lost?  so you are saying the Hogs are afraid of losing? 

honkyfool

You used the statement, "if we lost to ASU"  if the reason you aren't playing  is because you are afraid of losing, then that is the sign of a COWARD.  You know in the military they shoot people for cowardice.

ballhogger14u

Its funny the only time this gets brought up is when Arkansas is down heck why don't arkansas put uca, tech, uam and make it an all arkansas schedule that way we could keep it all in the state . maybe arkansas doesn't play them just so we can here yall  come on here and cry about it, who cares shouldn't you be worried about winning your conference you just got waxed by memphis you need to worry about who you have on your schedule this year first

kgr

Quote from: honkyfool on October 06, 2008, 02:41:32 pm
You used the statement, "if we lost to ASU"  if the reason you aren't playing  is because you are afraid of losing, then that is the sign of a COWARD.  You know in the military they shoot people for cowardice.

So those who disagree should be shot.

You have chosen your name wisely.
What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: El Puerco on October 06, 2008, 02:26:32 pm
Let's not pretend that you've ever missed out on pushing your own agenda in one of these in-state school threads.  Let it go.  By your own admission you're not a Hog fan so why do you even care?

Actually I'm the one without an agenda. Some of you don't think outside your borders and realize a policy of ignoring in-state opponents somehow continues your monopoly.

Gosh, ASU, UCA and the rest are really a threat to an SEC school in recruiting, booster dollars, etc? That's sad.

Not only that, I never said it had to be ASU. Play UCA every couple years. Play ASU in Fayetteville one year.

And I have news, those directional school games have NOT been sellouts, and if you played an in-state school in Fayetteville, it would be. If the tickets don't go to Hog fans, so what? Some of you weren't going to begin with because the opponent was a joke.

Same old arguments from the same people. It is polarizing, but I have a good idea that this policy won't live much longer.

El Puerco

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on October 06, 2008, 03:01:10 pm
Actually I'm the one without an agenda. Some of you don't think outside your borders and realize a policy of ignoring in-state opponents somehow continues your monopoly.

Call it what you will but you have never missed out on one of these. "Same old arguments from the same people?"  This is you, you're talking about, right?

Mark Lericos

Quote from: El Puerco on October 06, 2008, 03:08:25 pm
Call it what you will but you have never missed out on one of these. "Same old arguments from the same people?"  This is you, you're talking about, right?

At least I addressed the topic Puerco. I post in a lot of threads.

Hogginitall

Gosh, ASU, UCA and the rest are really a threat to an SEC school in recruiting, booster dollars, etc? That's sad.

Not only that, I never said it had to be ASU. Play UCA every couple years. Play ASU in Fayetteville one year.

And I have news, those directional school games have NOT been sellouts, and if you played an in-state school in Fayetteville, it would be. If the tickets don't go to Hog fans, so what? Some of you weren't going to begin with because the opponent was a joke.

Same old arguments from the same people. It is polarizing, but I have a good idea that this policy won't live much longer.

I don't think we've had a non-sellout in Little Rock in 100 years.  So, yes, they have been sellouts.  That is where the ASU game would be played.  The only thing that would be different is the possibility of paying ASU more money than we would a UTC and the fact that the opposing fan section would be much larger. 

honkyfool

Well spoken +1  wish I could give you more

Choctaw Hog

All you have to do is ask your friend what possible benefit would it be to Arkansas to play ASU?  The answer is that there is NO benefit, whatsoever, for Arkansas to play ASU and it's not THE University of Arkansas' responsibility to prop up and legitimize the Red Wolves/Indians. Period!  End of discussion!

honkyfool

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on October 06, 2008, 03:35:34 pm
All you have to do is ask your friend what possible benefit would it be to Arkansas to play ASU?  The answer is that there is NO benefit, whatsoever, for Arkansas to play ASU and it's not THE University of Arkansas' responsibility to prop up and legitimize the Red Wolves/Indians. Period!  End of discussion!
But they will help an out of state school "cook its books"?

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 06, 2008, 03:29:04 pm
I don't think we've had a non-sellout in Little Rock in 100 years.  So, yes, they have been sellouts.  That is where the ASU game would be played.  The only thing that would be different is the possibility of paying ASU more money than we would a UTC and the fact that the opposing fan section would be much larger. 

I didn't say LR doesn't sell out. Most non-conference games are played in Fayetteville, and there's no reason you can't play it there. That would solve the problem of getting tickets sold to crap directional-school games.

DeltaBoy

Here is my point of all this Either play ASU or STOP playing any Sunbelt teams at all.  We look silly beating the rest of the Sunbelt year in and year out, all while crying we can't play ASU because there is nothing to Gain.  So someone explain to me What in Hades do we get from playing the REST of the SUNBELT???????

Most Hogfans are being 2 faced on this and it makes me sick.  You like beating up on the Sunbelt as long as you don't play ASU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

honkyfool

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 06, 2008, 03:46:38 pm
Here is my point of all this Either play ASU or STOP playing any Sunbelt teams at all.  We look silly beating the rest of the Sunbelt year in and year out, all while crying we can't play ASU because there is nothing to Gain.  So someone explain to me What in Hades do we get from playing the REST of the SUNBELT???????

Most Hogfans are being 2 faced on this and it makes me sick.  You like beating up on the Sunbelt as long as you don't play ASU!

right on

Michael Porkleone

A loss to ULM pales in comparison to a loss to ASU. 
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

honkyfool

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on October 06, 2008, 04:47:43 pm
A loss to ULM pales in comparison to a loss to ASU. 

so you are saying the University and the Razorbacks have a big old yellow streak down their back?

Fatmanhog

i still dont understand, look at the interest in this thread just like the other threads about asu, i think the fans want it, well a lot of fans, with respect to all who doesnt want it Mark is right, when would this game not be a sellout? who wouldnt rather watch asu/UA rather than wi,insert numerous directions here/UA. seriously guys what is wrong with this.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Fatmanhog

im not scared of asu, about as scared as i am of the other sunbelt teams. if we beat them this year we certainly can beat them next year or whenever.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Choctaw Hog

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogdiggity on October 06, 2008, 02:24:00 pm
Whether you know it or not, UCA is on the rise.  They seem to have a real plan on expanding their athletics and aren't backing down.  Their coaching staff is very good, and the AD is leading them in the right direction.  UCA has much more athletic tradition than UCA, see all the NAIA national championships, it is located in a better part of the state for most people to be familiar with it.  Anyway, you can believe it or not, but I think UCA will be a D1 school in 5-10 years and it won't take them as long to establish themselves as it has ASU.

UCA has said recently they have no intentions of going full D1 anytime soon
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

You guys have bigger problems then you will ever realize if Arkansas is having to compete with ASU for recruits

in fact ASU tries not to get into recruiting battles.   we thrive on getting the players close to home that the SEC schools dont want.   Those that have a vendetta to want to prove themselves.    Our top reciever this year is from Austin, TX, and played a huge game against A&M to prove he belonged.    We stole our QB from Ole Miss because we promised him he was good enough to play QB at the D1 level when Ole Miss said he wasnt.   Both of our Running backs were passed up on by Arkansas despite having huge high school numbers

ASU does not sit in there and try and compete with Arkansas for recruits.   You guys compete alot more with Tulsa, yet you are playing them this year.

Heck there are athletes who actually will pass up a scholarship to ASU to walk-on at Arkansas and probably never get a lick of playing time.      Once again, you guys control the instate recruiting.    We just sneak in and steal what you dont want
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

astate

What a stupid topic.  This game will not happen anytime soon.  Give it up.  UA WILL NOT DO IT!  Quit crying. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: chiefsfan on October 06, 2008, 05:31:43 pm
we thrive on getting the players close to home that the SEC schools dont want. 

Do you know what thrive means?  The Arkansas State football program would not be a good example of this.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 06, 2008, 05:34:19 pm
Do you know what thrive means?  The Arkansas State football program would not be a good example of this.

Are you aware of where the Arkansas State Program was 7 years ago and where it is now?   We are thriving now compared to where we were. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: chiefsfan on October 06, 2008, 05:41:34 pm
Are you aware of where the Arkansas State Program was 7 years ago and where it is now?   We are thriving now compared to where we were. 

Your program is still not prospering.  You are in the exact same spot as when you joined the Sun Belt.

From 2001 to now:

2-9
6-7
5-7
3-8
6-6
6-6
5-7

And this year, you will probably be 6-6 or 5-7.  Next year, you'll be back to 4-8 or 3-9.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 06, 2008, 05:47:22 pm
Your program is still not prospering.  You are in the exact same spot as when you joined the Sun Belt.

From 2001 to now:

2-9
6-7
5-7
3-8
6-6
6-6
5-7

And this year, you will probably be 6-6 or 5-7.  Next year, you'll be back to 4-8 or 3-9.

Take a look at the other 5 years before that nimrod.   7 yeras ago, we dreamed of being able to be .500 consistantly

and next year's team for ASU is supposed to be better then this one for what its worth, we lose only 3 starters and none of them at ball handling positions

Hogginitall

I'd say the most influential factor in all this is the move to the Sunbelt Conference.  I think that allows some natural rivalries to exist and some continuity to take hold in the program.  I'd say your program will hover around 5-6 wins a year for the next 456 years.  You might have some winning seasons, but not too often.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 06, 2008, 05:52:46 pm
I'd say the most influential factor in all this is the move to the Sunbelt Conference.  I think that allows some natural rivalries to exist and some continuity to take hold in the program.  I'd say your program will hover around 5-6 wins a year for the next 456 years.  You might have some winning seasons, but not too often.

yeah, so let me get this straight, after about 30 minutes of evaluation of ASU football you have already convinced yourself that ASU is no more then a .500 team ever and that UCA will be better

Take my advice...stick to Arkansas football

honkyfool

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 06, 2008, 05:52:46 pm

ASU won the last bowl game they played in.  Did the Razorbacks?

Hogginitall

Quote from: chiefsfan on October 06, 2008, 05:56:09 pm
yeah, so let me get this straight, after about 30 minutes of evaluation of ASU football you have already convinced yourself that ASU is no more then a .500 team ever and that UCA will be better

Take my advice...stick to Arkansas football

You stick to books with pictures because you obviously can't read.  I never said anything about UCA being better, although I think they will eventually.  I just happen to think it might take a little longer than most people think it will.

Yes, I think Arkansas State is relegated to the occasional good season, while for the most part, losing more than 6 games a year.  You just can't get the talent consistently to win more than that.

Hogginitall

Quote from: honkyfool on October 06, 2008, 05:57:24 pm
ASU won the last bowl game they played in.  Did the Razorbacks?

Wrong:
2005-Arkansas State (Sun Belt)

9/3 vs. Missouri (7-5) L 17 44 @ Kansas City, MO
9/10 vs. Tennessee-Martin (non-IA) W 56 7
9/17 @ Oklahoma State (4-7) L 10 20
9/24 vs. *Florida International (5-6) W 66 24
10/1 @ *Louisiana-Monroe (5-6) L 27 31
10/13 vs. *Louisiana-Lafayette (6-5) W 39 36
10/22 vs. *Florida Atlantic (2-9) W 3 0
11/5 @ *Middle Tennessee State (4-7) L 7 45
11/12 vs. *Troy (4-7) W 9 3
11/19 @ Army (4-7) L 10 38
11/26 @ *North Texas (2-9) W 31 24
12/20 vs. Southern Mississippi (7-5) L 19 31 @ Lafayette, LA New Orleans Bowl

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 06, 2008, 05:58:45 pm
You stick to books with pictures because you obviously can't read.  I never said anything about UCA being better, although I think they will eventually.  I just happen to think it might take a little longer than most people think it will.

Yes, I think Arkansas State is relegated to the occasional good season, while for the most part, losing more than 6 games a year.  You just can't get the talent consistently to win more than that.

Whoops wrong poster on UCA...my bad.

Considering that Arkansas State is now widely believed to be a SBC title contender every season, you are wrong on the other.   especially when you look at the fact that ASU still has the easiest part of its schedule to play this year

honkyfool

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 06, 2008, 05:59:37 pm
Wrong:
2005-Arkansas State (Sun Belt)

9/3 vs. Missouri (7-5) L 17 44 @ Kansas City, MO
9/10 vs. Tennessee-Martin (non-IA) W 56 7
9/17 @ Oklahoma State (4-7) L 10 20
9/24 vs. *Florida International (5-6) W 66 24
10/1 @ *Louisiana-Monroe (5-6) L 27 31
10/13 vs. *Louisiana-Lafayette (6-5) W 39 36
10/22 vs. *Florida Atlantic (2-9) W 3 0
11/5 @ *Middle Tennessee State (4-7) L 7 45
11/12 vs. *Troy (4-7) W 9 3
11/19 @ Army (4-7) L 10 38
11/26 @ *North Texas (2-9) W 31 24
12/20 vs. Southern Mississippi (7-5) L 19 31 @ Lafayette, LA New Orleans Bowl

Then why are the Razorbacks so afraid of playing ASU?   Are they afraid of the "Big Bad Red Wolf"?

chiefsfan

HogCzar1

OK, I will bite one more time on this subject for the benefit of the 3-4 ASU supporters that sign up for Hogville every few weeks in order to raise this worn out topic.
  First, for those who argue that the UA policy is outdated and archaic, you miss the point. It is simply a policy that remains in the best interest of the UA pure and simple. For those of you who cannot understand the rationale for this policy, such as Mr. Lericos, let me offer an argument.
  The reality of the issue is that for the UA to have a reasonable chance to compete with LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. it is imperative that we get all of the top Arkansas players both athletically and financially. It is our only hope to match the enormous financial base of the other SEC schools. The idea that this is a small state in terms of population is true. The more important argument is that we are a small state financially compared to the others in the SEC.
  Arkansas State has tried for years to grow its program into a high Division 1 athletic program. There is nothing wrong with that. However, they have never been able to generate a strong financial base with alumni or donors. ASU's home attendance is slightly better the past few years. However, over the past 15 years they have not exceeded a paying attendance over 15,000 on average. In addition, if their tickets were $45-60 like an SEC school, they would average less than 10,000 a game easily. The major reason ASU supporters want this game is to weaken the UA in order to gain some of the financial prowess the UA currently enjoys.
  They have the opinion that by playing the UA, taunting the UA, and saying such absurd things such as "UA should have to prove their vast superiority", that will force the UA into the oven of a newly created heated rivalry. One that only offers financial advantages to ASU, and offers no plausible benefits for UA. They believe that by playing the UA, they will gain credibility among average fans across the state, as well as with potential high school recruits. The ASU message to most Arkansas recruits would be to "come to ASU and help us beat the Hogs", not to come to ASU and help us win the Sun Belt. Even you most ardent ASU supporters must acknowledge this, or risk your credibility in its entirety.
  The silliest argument continues to be "lets keep the money in the state", and that the Western Illinois games arent sold out. First, if the early games are not sold out, then they are within a very few tickets of doing so. There would be no financial windfall for anyone by selling an additional 500 tickets or so, and I do not even accept the premise of the argument to begin with. Just where does "all the money" come from? That money would come primarily from UA supporters/fans, which ASU in turn would anxiously put into its bank account. Then they would use that money to try and erode the statewide support the UA has earned over the past 100 years.
  While this would not happen overnight, eventually it would have some impact, even if minor. It is that effect that would make it that much harder for us to compete with LSU, Florida, Tennessee, etc. Many of you just think this would be a fun game to play. Others realize that it potentially does some level of damage to the UA program. Is that worth playing ASU? If keeping some of the money in state is a noble cause for ASU, then why dont we keep ALL the money in the state, and re-invent the old AIC all over again, and include UA and ASU as new members? The obvious and correct answer is that it is not.
  Many of you also argue that say..."come on...you play other Sun Belt teams"..Answer to that is simple. None of the other teams that we play pose any degree of risk to the foundation of the UA program which is a level of statewide support that most state universities only dream about. It is that support that allows us the opportunity to compete at a national level. For those of you that laugh at that, go check out the largest athletic budgets in Division 1.
  The truth of this matter is that Arkansas State has not and cannot grow their financial base without taking market share away from the UA. This is something they are acutely aware of. This is why you see the incessant postings on this worn out topic. Many of you also believe that the UA policy will soon change. You will be disappointed. I cannot tell you how many ASU supporters believed that the day the Frank Broyles left the AD position that the UA would fly directly to Jonesboro to sign a contract to play every year home and home. It didn't happen.
  None of this should be interpreted as a knock on ASU. It is not. However, the Razorbacks are the state's identity on a national level athletically. That is not going to change. In addition, I for one, am not interested in seeing the Razorbacks ''cut down to size" for the benefit of ASU supporters who do not support their own school financially in large mass as the UA does.
  For those of you who continue to raise this topic ad nausem, some suggestions. Please channel your efforts into selling more tickets at ASU, raising money for the Red Wolf club, and purchase all the Red Wolves attire you can afford. Get in your car and go to a game. If you are a journalist, and would rather cover ASU, I am sure KAIT could use you. But, please leave the Razorbacks out of it.

honkyfool

Quote from: HogCzar1 on October 06, 2008, 07:08:14 pm
OK, I will bite one more time on this subject for the benefit of the 3-4 ASU supporters that sign up for Hogville every few weeks in order to raise this worn out topic.
  First, for those who argue that the UA policy is outdated and archaic, you miss the point. It is simply a policy that remains in the best interest of the UA pure and simple. For those of you who cannot understand the rationale for this policy, such as Mr. Lericos, let me offer an argument.
  The reality of the issue is that for the UA to have a reasonable chance to compete with LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. it is imperative that we get all of the top Arkansas players both athletically and financially. It is our only hope to match the enormous financial base of the other SEC schools. The idea that this is a small state in terms of population is true. The more important argument is that we are a small state financially compared to the others in the SEC.
  Arkansas State has tried for years to grow its program into a high Division 1 athletic program. There is nothing wrong with that. However, they have never been able to generate a strong financial base with alumni or donors. ASU's home attendance is slightly better the past few years. However, over the past 15 years they have not exceeded a paying attendance over 15,000 on average. In addition, if their tickets were $45-60 like an SEC school, they would average less than 10,000 a game easily. The major reason ASU supporters want this game is to weaken the UA in order to gain some of the financial prowess the UA currently enjoys.
  They have the opinion that by playing the UA, taunting the UA, and saying such absurd things such as "UA should have to prove their vast superiority", that will force the UA into the oven of a newly created heated rivalry. One that only offers financial advantages to ASU, and offers no plausible benefits for UA. They believe that by playing the UA, they will gain credibility among average fans across the state, as well as with potential high school recruits. The ASU message to most Arkansas recruits would be to "come to ASU and help us beat the Hogs", not to come to ASU and help us win the Sun Belt. Even you most ardent ASU supporters must acknowledge this, or risk your credibility in its entirety.
  The silliest argument continues to be "lets keep the money in the state", and that the Western Illinois games arent sold out. First, if the early games are not sold out, then they are within a very few tickets of doing so. There would be no financial windfall for anyone by selling an additional 500 tickets or so, and I do not even accept the premise of the argument to begin with. Just where does "all the money" come from? That money would come primarily from UA supporters/fans, which ASU in turn would anxiously put into its bank account. Then they would use that money to try and erode the statewide support the UA has earned over the past 100 years.
  While this would not happen overnight, eventually it would have some impact, even if minor. It is that effect that would make it that much harder for us to compete with LSU, Florida, Tennessee, etc. Many of you just think this would be a fun game to play. Others realize that it potentially does some level of damage to the UA program. Is that worth playing ASU? If keeping some of the money in state is a noble cause for ASU, then why dont we keep ALL the money in the state, and re-invent the old AIC all over again, and include UA and ASU as new members? The obvious and correct answer is that it is not.
  Many of you also argue that say..."come on...you play other Sun Belt teams"..Answer to that is simple. None of the other teams that we play pose any degree of risk to the foundation of the UA program which is a level of statewide support that most state universities only dream about. It is that support that allows us the opportunity to compete at a national level. For those of you that laugh at that, go check out the largest athletic budgets in Division 1.
  The truth of this matter is that Arkansas State has not and cannot grow their financial base without taking market share away from the UA. This is something they are acutely aware of. This is why you see the incessant postings on this worn out topic. Many of you also believe that the UA policy will soon change. You will be disappointed. I cannot tell you how many ASU supporters believed that the day the Frank Broyles left the AD position that the UA would fly directly to Jonesboro to sign a contract to play every year home and home. It didn't happen.
  None of this should be interpreted as a knock on ASU. It is not. However, the Razorbacks are the state's identity on a national level athletically. That is not going to change. In addition, I for one, am not interested in seeing the Razorbacks ''cut down to size" for the benefit of ASU supporters who do not support their own school financially in large mass as the UA does.
  For those of you who continue to raise this topic ad nausem, some suggestions. Please channel your efforts into selling more tickets at ASU, raising money for the Red Wolf club, and purchase all the Red Wolves attire you can afford. Get in your car and go to a game. If you are a journalist, and would rather cover ASU, I am sure KAIT could use you. But, please leave the Razorbacks out of it.

What a mean-spirited argument

GoHogs#1

Quote from: HogCzar1 on October 06, 2008, 07:08:14 pm
Then they would use that money to try and erode the statewide support the UA has earned over the past 100 years.

Take all games away from LR and it will start to happen regardess if the HOGS play ASU!!!
Go Hogs

hogdiggity

Quote from: jburcka on October 05, 2008, 08:03:03 pm
Im trying to explain this to a friend of mine and I could use a little help.  I have mentioned us being a small state with a very small recruiting base, a possible loss would loose us booster dollars and many fans.  I also explained that people may stop giving money to the educational side of the University of Arkansas thus lowering the value of the degree in the long term.

I need some more reasons and any economic/educational factors that go with playing a in state team would really help the most (he is not that concerned with our athletic reasons, he instead believes that us playing them would help the population of arkansas the reaches a higher education).

D@$N you for bringing this up again