Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State Message Board "The Den"

Started by Lanny, August 31, 2008, 08:39:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkstfan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 02, 2008, 05:59:06 pm

Except for the years that they were dropped to 1-AA.

That's still Division I, we played Arkansas in the NIT (among others) while in I-AA football.

Maverick Razorback

Quote from: Arkstfan on September 03, 2008, 08:45:16 am
That's still Division I, we played Arkansas in the NIT (among others) while in I-AA football.
see there..we did play you..now stop crying.
IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

OKhogfan1959

No Hogfan should show state any love!!! They are not good people..I used to try to support them since a kid I was veryclose too played there. Several kids I had coached in summer basketball actually went there. I don't have any good feeling at all for that group of fans. No one should.

Arkstfan

Quote from: LawnHog48 on September 03, 2008, 08:59:46 am
No Hogfan should show state any love!!! They are not good people..I used to try to support them since a kid I was veryclose too played there. Several kids I had coached in summer basketball actually went there. I don't have any good feeling at all for that group of fans. No one should.

I'm not a good person?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Arkstfan on September 03, 2008, 08:45:16 am

There was never a 1-AA sub-division for basketball.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

pigz

I used to root for any team from Arkansas, after reading some of the stuff state fans have to say i don't think i can do that anymore.

Go Hogs
You guys have a good time frig dancing

Arkstfan

Quote from: pigz on September 03, 2008, 10:40:26 am
I used to root for any team from Arkansas, after reading some of the stuff state fans have to say i don't think i can do that anymore.

Go Hogs

That's what many ASU fans have said after visiting Hog boards, listening to radio call-in shows, or just going to work.

e_dub

Quote from: Texman on September 02, 2008, 05:05:04 pm
Typical t-shirt fan attitude. 

Typical attitude of most Razorback fans in general.  Nothing t-shirt about it.  It makes no sense to help an in-state school.  None at all.

pigz

I've never seen arkst mentioned on here till this week really, i guess i didnt realize how bitter thier fans were.

chiefsfan

Quote from: pigz on September 03, 2008, 10:56:48 am
I've never seen arkst mentioned on here till this week really, i guess i didnt realize how bitter thier fans were.

The hate that Arkansas State has for Arkansas is about the same as the hate that alot of Sun Belt schools have for their instate major conference teams

Middle Tennessee cannot stand Vanderbilt

Troy doesnt like Auburn or Alabama

FAU doesnt like Florida

ULL cant stand LSU

Now the reasons Arkansas State fans dont like Arkansas goes a little bit deeper, in how Frank Broyles tried his hardest to keep ASU from becoming a University.   That irked alot of the older alums and created the level of resentment you see on the Den today

The problem is that razorback fans have a hard time understanding why anyone inside the state could hate them.   Its not your fault.  You guys have been taught forever that you guys where "The School" in Arkansas.    However at the same time, people at the other schools in the state hear that, and begin to get angry.

And its not just limited to ASU either.  Go play on the UCA message board and see what they think of you guys, because its not much better
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: HillbillyRazorback on September 03, 2008, 11:25:31 am
i agree. i went to their board to say congrats and they ridiculed me the whole time for being a hog fan or as they put it a piggy fan

It all depends on which hog fan you were.       the recent congratulations recieved from hog fans were   Congrats, but youre still everyones homecoming opponent.    or Congrats, but why do you guys hate us.     Or Congrats, but you should play UCA more.    Thats not congratulating anyone, thats trying to start something

Now we have had some hog fans come over and truly offer a congratultions.   And if you were treated poorly its because everyone is ancy from some of the others coming on there
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

pigz

That's understandable, it all runs too deep for me, so i guess I'll still pull for all the Arkansas schools.

chiefsfan

Quote from: nextlevel on September 02, 2008, 05:04:11 pm
So what UA has played UCA as well in the past as well as several other in state schools.

I see no positives to the game. I guess I see stAte like they see UCA, not worth scheduling.

The last time UA played an instate school was in the 1950's.    I believe they lost to Harding

ASU has played UCA in every sport but Mens Basketball and Football since 2000.  And they played in Football in 1999.  And that was when UCA was Division II  and playing them didnt count for anything

Now that does that mean the two schools shouldnt play more?  No.   But the issue is right now that we cant offer what UCA wants.   UCA is trying hard to get a D1 football team to play them in Little Rock.   ASU doesnt like the idea of playing a road game against a D1AA school.   And before you claim thats the same thing that ASU wants from UA.  Its not at all.  Dean Lee has said several times on record he would love to play you guys in Fayetville.     While UCA has made it known that it would like to play a D1 school in Little Rock soon

1FBL

Does stAte still give students free tickets to the games?  I went there for a year and a half before finally making my way to the U of A and never even went to one game while I was there.  I was going to go to one, but it rained that morning.
"(Kentucky) really got it going with both the run and that pass and that keeps you off balance," Nutt said.

chiefsfan

Quote from: pigz on September 02, 2008, 01:26:34 pm
It was deserved because he stated a fact? Or was it when he said he hoped you won your conference? One win doesnt mean crape. Keep up the little man complex, i'm sure asu will be a huge football program real soon...

That is sort of like going over to a Texas board and telling them they should quit running from Arkansas.    the Reaction in return isnt going to be "Thank You, we agree"

chiefsfan

Quote from: 1FBL on September 03, 2008, 11:48:19 am
Does stAte still give students free tickets to the games?  I went there for a year and a half before finally making my way to the U of A and never even went to one game while I was there.  I was going to go to one, but it rained that morning.

ASU Students are admitted free to all sporting events, including postseason games often times

In terms of prices, it costs 14 dollars to go to an Arkansas State Football game.    Season Tickets are 65 dollars.   You can see Arkansas State play 3 times for cheaper then you can see the Razorbacks play once

pigz

I dont get where your going with this one?

1FBL

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 03, 2008, 11:54:47 am

ASU Students are admitted free to all sporting events, including postseason games often times

In terms of prices, it costs 14 dollars to go to an Arkansas State Football game.    Season Tickets are 65 dollars.   You can see Arkansas State play 3 times for cheaper then you can see the Razorbacks play once

I think that's pretty much how it was when I was there in the late 90's.  Don't mean this as any sort of slam, but does anyone actually go to the games these days?  I always thought it was sort of sad that tickets were cheap, or free for students, and the stadium was pretty empty on game days.  Not sad enough to actually go to one, but still...
"(Kentucky) really got it going with both the run and that pass and that keeps you off balance," Nutt said.

chiefsfan

Quote from: pigz on September 03, 2008, 11:56:56 am
I dont get where your going with this one?

Most Arkansas fans were convinced Texas was running from them when they cancelled the baseball series and pushed the basketball series back to where they knew Arkansas would be rebuilding

If you go over to a Texas board and state that.  While you would percieve it as fact...  a Texas fan sure wouldnt, and they wouldnt be very nice about it either

You guys see it as a fact that Arkansas State should play UCA if we want a game from Arkansas.   Arkansas State fans believe the last team that should be telling them who to schedule games with is Arkansas

You see it as fact.   We dont.   You get ridiculed

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

nextlevel

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 03, 2008, 11:42:22 am
The last time UA played an instate school was in the 1950's.    I believe they lost to Harding

ASU has played UCA in every sport but Mens Basketball and Football since 2000.  And they played in Football in 1999.  And that was when UCA was Division II  and playing them didnt count for anything

Now that does that mean the two schools shouldnt play more?  No.   But the issue is right now that we cant offer what UCA wants.   UCA is trying hard to get a D1 football team to play them in Little Rock.   ASU doesnt like the idea of playing a road game against a D1AA school.   And before you claim thats the same thing that ASU wants from UA.  Its not at all.  Dean Lee has said several times on record he would love to play you guys in Fayetville.     While UCA has made it known that it would like to play a D1 school in Little Rock soon

Would love to play in Fayetteville, that is a start. Will they expect a check like is given to the other sunbelt teams? I would say to make it fair to both sides if the game ever happened, it would need to be at Fayetteville and stAte can have what ever funds they can raise from selling their allotment of tickets. I might see helping pay their hotel/travel costs, but I don't think they should ask for anymore compensation then that. They should realize it would be a privilege for them to be allowed to play the hogs. It will ultimately be a UA decision as I believe the Governors attempt to force the issue through legislation has already failed, rightfully so. The UA has no interest or gain from helping an instate institution outside the UA system.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

razorbackkid

I was born and reared in the Jonesboro area.  In the late 70's my dad usually had tickets to all Arkansas State sporting events.  He would get "complimentary" tickets from his workplace.  I attended many football and basketball games at ASU using those tickets.

If ASU and the Hogs were playing at the same time or their games overlapped I'd take my radio to the game.  I've always been a Hog fan and ASU was always an afterthought in how real football and basketball were played.  I still attended those ASU games because of ecomonic issues.  Yeah, we were poor.

However, I enjoyed the games and rooted for ASU to win.  I do not ever remember being "torn" between my loyalties.  I've always been a Razorback fan and will forever remain so. 

Back in the seventies A state had no business (talentwise) to even ponder the thought of playing THE ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS, however, that was then.  Times have changed but my loyalties have not.

Go Hogs and congratulations A State for a great win over A&M.

And yes, I'm a t-shirt fan.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Sivad

September 03, 2008, 03:02:40 pm #122 Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:04:16 pm by Sivad
Quote from: HillbillyRazorback on September 03, 2008, 11:25:31 am
I went to their board to say congrats and they ridiculed me the whole time for being a hog fan or as they put it a piggy fan
They HATE us with a passion.
You're talking about the school that ran around the basketball court (when the Ladybacks played ASU at Jonesboro) with an Arkansas state flag held upside down!
And don't forget the photo that circulated taken before that game (right outside their state taxpayer paid for arena) that showed several ASU male fans urinating on a hog hat.
Why should we extend ourselves to help lift them up when they hate us that bad?

TLFHAWG

hawgwild child

A-State needs to quit hatin...They only hate us cause they aint us haha

razorbak

"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

hawgwild child

ya i've tried...there passion to hate the UA is to strong

razorbak

"Well, to be fair to ASU fans, the reasoning, "We won't play you because because we have nothing to gain."  Will always sound like "We will never play you because we are afraid you could beat us and ruin our monopoly on in-state talent."  And that's just how it will be until Arkansas ponies up and plays ASU. "

Does ASU play UCA?
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

Albert Einswine

Quote from: razorbak on September 03, 2008, 05:08:03 pm

Does ASU play UCA?

They did a couple of times,  very nearly losing the 2nd match-up.  They haven't played since.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

razorbak

"The past history of Arkansas-Arkansas State is ugly and it goes far beyond sports...
Yeah some folks are still PO'd over the history..."

Boo-frickin'-hoo.

I moved from NW Ark. to the Jonesboro area in my twenties and lived there for about 15 years. I tried to root for ASU at first. I remember going to a UA game in Fayetteville where it was announced that ASU was ahead of Alabama and the crowd cheered. I virtually never heard a negative word about the Indians while growing up in NW Ark. But living in the Jonesboro area all I got was crap thrown in my face from a bunch of bitter whiners who would rather see the Hogs lose than ASU win. I finally came to despise ASU athletics because their fans constantly trashed the Razorbacks. Go play UCA.

freethrow

September 03, 2008, 06:43:13 pm #130 Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:16:24 pm by freethrow
Quote from: Razorback Homer on September 01, 2008, 05:01:27 am
Ole Miss and Mississippi State are in the same conference.

Oregon and Oregon State are in the same conference.

At least site instances of states that have teams playing each other that are in different conferences, like Ole Miss/Miss State playing Southern Miss - ooops!  Guess what?  Neither play Southern anymore for many of the same reasons that are given for not playing ASU.

Why help ULM?  Northern La produces a lot of D1 players, and even though the previous staff didn't do a good job of recruiting them, Arkansas gets additional exposure in their press by playing ULM.

As far as keeping the money in state, Arkansas is sending money out of state to ULM, but ASU is bringing money back into state by playing TAMU.  If ASU is getting the same amount from TAMU as Arkansas is paying ULM, it is a zero sum gain for the state.  However, ASU is bringing back more money from TAMU than Arkansas is paying ULM, so it actually works out better for the state.
Georgia / Georgia Southern
Colorado / Colorado State
Ohio State / Youngstown State
Texas / UTEP , Rice
Kentucky / Louisville, Western KY
Florida / Miami, Fla. State
LSU / Tulane
etc, etc, etc

sp84hogs

September 03, 2008, 06:47:38 pm #131 Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 03:04:02 pm by sp84hogs
This is just the same old crap all the time lets just accept things how they are and everyone try to get along.

"When we add up all those inches, that's gonna make the ****** difference between winning and losing, between living and dying" - Al Pacino in Any Given Sunday

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results.

MountieDawg

They dont hate the U of A.  I went to Ark St and I used to get pissed off at the people who would go to the ASU game and listen to the hog game on the radio... all of a sudden you hear a big cheer and it was from the radio broadcast of the hog game...  So to say that hate U of A is stupid....  You can root for more than 1 team...  I am sure every fan on this board roots for another team a little...
SEC!

budcampbellfan

There is nothing wrong with Ark St itself that 50,000 more loyal fans in the stands would not fix.  I root for Ark St. because it is an Arkansas university.  I'm glad they beat Tex A&M. 

There are some of their fans that are a little unrealistic.  I can understand that but I do make fun of it sometimes.  Fact is ASU will never be a serious Div 1 football program as long as the fan base is so small in number and they have a very very long way to go on that.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

saturnthegiant

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=234069.0;topicseen

It could be because many stAte fans come here and see things like the above.

I root for both teams, but anytime i try to reason with ASU haters, i get blasted here, too, so it goes both ways doesn't it?  Kinda the pot calling the kettle black isn't it?  I live in NEA and there are many Hog fans there, but when you come to a message board and hear people bashing ASU and NEA it kinda makes you rethink where your support lies.  If you blame Red Wolves fans for feeling the way they do then you are simply blind to the facts.  Besides, the ASU fans who actually HATE the Hogs are a minority- can Hog fans say the same?

chiefsfan

Quote from: razorbak on September 03, 2008, 06:27:13 pm
"The past history of Arkansas-Arkansas State is ugly and it goes far beyond sports...
Yeah some folks are still PO'd over the history..."

Boo-frickin'-hoo.

I moved from NW Ark. to the Jonesboro area in my twenties and lived there for about 15 years. I tried to root for ASU at first. I remember going to a UA game in Fayetteville where it was announced that ASU was ahead of Alabama and the crowd cheered. I virtually never heard a negative word about the Indians while growing up in NW Ark. But living in the Jonesboro area all I got was crap thrown in my face from a bunch of bitter whiners who would rather see the Hogs lose than ASU win. I finally came to despise ASU athletics because their fans constantly trashed the Razorbacks. Go play UCA.

The thing im so confused about is this whole thing of state loyalty that Arkansas fans have engraned in their skulls.  I mean I grew up a hog fan and it never made logical sense to me that Hog fans expected everyone in the state to cheer for them

If a Texas fan hates the razorbacks, its no big deal.   But if an ASU fan hates the razorbacks its a gigantic thing because they are from the same state.    Why is it that ASU fans are supposed to support you?

HogCzar1

Quite the contrary. Arkansas State supporters should support ASU. That is the problem. They don't in large number. In reality, that is the main issue. The vitriolic anti-UA fans who say they like ASU spend more energy and passion with their rage again the Razorbacks than they do rooting for ASU. A prime example includes their average football attendance for all games the past 20 years even though they have a campus of about 10,000 students. There are many games that have less people than a Texas High School 5A game.

chiefsfan

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 04, 2008, 01:13:19 am
Quite the contrary. Arkansas State supporters should support ASU. That is the problem. They don't in large number. In reality, that is the main issue. The vitriolic anti-UA fans who say they like ASU spend more energy and passion with their rage again the Razorbacks than they do rooting for ASU. A prime example includes their average football attendance for all games the past 20 years even though they have a campus of about 10,000 students. There are many games that have less people than a Texas High School 5A game.

ASU averages about 19,000 per home game right now.     this year's attendance should be higher because its a front heavy home schedule.   we are hoping for a 20K average

If Texas High School football averages more then that, they are outdrawing alot of Division I football teams

HogCzar1

As I said, over the past 20 years. I can recall in recent times Thursday Night games where absolutely no one attended. ASU draws 18-20,000 early in the year, but that typically dwindles later in the year dramatically. Just a couple years ago, there was a Thursday Night game in Jonesboro where there were less than 4,000 at the game. In addition, many of those attending get very reduced price tickets, such as those that are bought from a sponsor such as Krogers. Perhaps this year they will draw better. The main point is that ASU has never had a fan base capable of drawing 25,000 fans consistently who are paying $40 a ticket to watch ASU play. That is not refutable.