Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State have a chance against the Aggies?

Started by NuttinItUp, June 14, 2008, 06:34:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Anyone think AState has a chance against the Texas A&M Aggies the first game of the year?
On the Aggie site, the game time listing is:
8/30      Arkansas State    6:00 PM

Hopefully the Indians (....I mean Red Wolves ::) ) don't get slaughtered too bad.

rzrbaxfan

Have a chance at what?  Getting beat?  I'd have to say yes.  They may have enough in the tank to make it interesting for 2 maybe 3 quarters, but they simply lack the depth to pull this off.

Slow times for sports in June, huh? ;D

HoopS

Hawghiggs

They have a good chance. A&M is not that good and A-state did good against Texas last year. I hope they do great and win. the state of Arkansas need another good team. maybe if they have a great season next year they will get a look from c-usa the next time that conference expands.

COCHISE

They gave Texas all they wanted last year and TAMU will be in a bit of a rebuilding process this year with Sherman taking over, so who knows, but I would definitely say they've got a shot.

SPAL

unless they play UCA this season...i dont care about ASU

SquidBilly

Last year's Michigan team was much better than this years A&M team and Michigan got beat by App State so while unlikely it definitely could happen. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 14, 2008, 08:49:59 pm
unless they play UCA this season...i dont care about ASU

It takes two to tango.   ASU cant play UCA without UCA having room on the schedule.   the Bears dont...not for the next 2 years it looks like
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on June 14, 2008, 07:24:27 pm
Have a chance at what?  Getting beat?  I'd have to say yes.  They may have enough in the tank to make it interesting for 2 maybe 3 quarters, but they simply lack the depth to pull this off.

Slow times for sports in June, huh? ;D

ASU was a bad call on an onside kick recovery away from having a final drive shot to beat Texas last year...   and the last time we played A&M  The Aggies were lucky to walk away with a victory against one of the worst ASU teams ever
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

woooo_pig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 14, 2008, 08:33:36 pm
They have a good chance. A&M is not that good and A-state did good against Texas last year. I hope they do great and win. the state of Arkansas need another good team. maybe if they have a great season next year they will get a look from c-usa the next time that conference expands.

ASU was a bad call on an onside kick recovery away from having a final drive shot to beat Texas last year...   and the last time we played A&M  The Aggies were lucky to walk away with a victory against one of the worst ASU teams ever

Sound like Cubs Fans when they say "Wait till next year". You can't compare last year to next year or this year in college football. Look at the Hogs a couple years ago at 5 wins then reel off 10 in a row the next year. How much has ASU lost this year?
Blow out city.

spiritof92

June 15, 2008, 03:40:28 pm #10 Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 03:54:58 pm by spiritof92
  Arkansas State definitely has a shot at beating the Aggies.  The early part of the season is when the majority of the big upsets happen, because many teams haven't "found themselves" yet (especially on offense).  The Wolves lost alot in their secondary, but return with Reggie Arnold and Corey Leonard on the other side of the ball.  I think stAte can keep it close for four quarters, but I'm not sure they can pull it off.

Ceba

Russ22

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on June 15, 2008, 08:31:24 am
A&M will be too much for A-State.
Playing DKR is much different than playing at Kyle for non-conference games.  Road Hogg has this right.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

hogfan064

A&M has a new coach and if ULM can beat Bama then ASU sure can beat A&M. 

Won't happen though/

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: chiefsfan on June 15, 2008, 01:20:36 am
ASU was a bad call on an onside kick recovery away from having a final drive shot to beat Texas last year...   and the last time we played A&M  The Aggies were lucky to walk away with a victory against one of the worst ASU teams ever

And that is why I give them a shot to make it close for a while.  I don't hate ASU, I just think they are a far ways away from competing with a larger BCS school.  It takes depth, a little luck, and maybe a few mistakes from the opponent to close the gap.  Could they pull an upset?  Yes.  Will they?  I still say no.

SgtPepper

Quote from: Ceba on June 15, 2008, 09:37:46 pm
ASU should be playing UCA
This certainly seems to be an odd statement coming from a UofA fan.   ???
The stAte's University

Kicking Wing

Quote from: woooo_pig on June 15, 2008, 09:25:39 am
Sound like Cubs Fans when they say "Wait till next year". You can't compare last year to next year or this year in college football. Look at the Hogs a couple years ago at 5 wins then reel off 10 in a row the next year. How much has ASU lost this year?
Blow out city.

Not really.  ASU returns their QB, RB and 5 of the top 6 pass receivers.  The DL and LB corps return alomst completely intact and although all 4 starters left from the defensive backfield (including 2 to the NFL) 2 CBs return with starting experience, 3 safeties return that played last year, Marcus Brown is back and has NFL type speed and size, and ASU signed 3 juco CBs with a lot of talent.

I don't expect ASU to win but given the situation at A&M, the 26-17 loss last time at A&M, the screwing it took for Texas to beat ASU and the solid showing against Tennessee last year I see know reason ASU couldn't beat them if things go well.

SPAL

Quote from: SgtPepper on June 16, 2008, 12:16:24 pm
This certainly seems to be an odd statement coming from a UofA fan.   ???

why should we give you the time of day if you wont play UCA....what is the difference?

crtHAWGS

Arkansas State has 1st string talent as good as Us.  they for the most part have always done well for the first 1-2 quarters then fall apart by the 4th.  just like Tulsa.  last year.  was holding with oklahoma i belive it was or mabe Texas blow for blow untill the middle of the 3rd quarter.  if they somehow ran the score up to where theere sub par 2nd/3rd string guys could hold on through the 3rd/4th quarter they have a shot.

in the end.  Any Team has a chance to beat another

Justifiable Hogicide

At the end of the day, hardly anybody in the state of Arkansas will even know they played.

Brownie Tuggle

Well I want the Old Tire and Wheel School in Jonesboro to beat Texas A&M. Then in a few years they can have a Kickoff classic against the Hogs in Little Rock. If not the Hogs. The UCA vs "That School in Jonesboro" should play every year!!!!!

guy8699

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 14, 2008, 08:33:36 pm

Depending on when that happens the next team to join C-USA could be South Alabama once they go through thier FCS seasons and all that.  They start football in 09 and plan to be full fledged D-I in 2012. Rumor is that they will opt for C-USA instead of the Sun Belt.

Ceba

Quote from: SgtPepper on June 16, 2008, 12:16:24 pm
This certainly seems to be an odd statement coming from a UofA fan.   ???
Come on keep the money in state.  Help out your little brother.  Sound familiar to the A State fans? 

Ceba

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on June 16, 2008, 06:06:38 pm
Well I want the Old Tire and Wheel School in Jonesboro to beat Texas A&M. Then in a few years they can have a Kickoff classic against the Hogs in Little Rock. If not the Hogs. The UCA vs "That School in Jonesboro" should play every year!!!!!
I would love for the Hogs to play the Indians/wolves/losers as soon as they can average around 40,000 fans per game but we all know that will not happen in our lifetime.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: guy8699 on June 16, 2008, 06:46:34 pm
Depending on when that happens the next team to join C-USA could be South Alabama once they go through thier FCS seasons and all that.  They start football in 09 and plan to be full fledged D-I in 2012. Rumor is that they will opt for C-USA instead of the Sun Belt.
That is the worst rumor ever.  So. Alabama has already decided toplay Sun Belt football just like all the other sports and C-USA isnn't going to come calling.  The Belt is on the verge of passing C-USA in the next few years. 

Sivad

Whatever the outcome, those poor souls at ASU will somehow convince themselves that it supports their mantra that the UA should be forced to play them.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Ceba on June 16, 2008, 09:25:50 pm
Come on keep the money in state.  Help out your little brother.  Sound familiar to the A State fans? 
"Share your in state talent with us".....uh, no thanks.

cbjagman

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 14, 2008, 06:34:09 pm
Anyone think AState has a chance against the Texas A&M Aggies the first game of the year?
On the Aggie site, the game time listing is:
8/30      Arkansas State    6:00 PM

Hopefully the Indians (....I mean Red Wolves ::) ) don't get slaughtered too bad.
Well if it was anyone other than the Aggies I would definitely say hell no! However, Aggies being Aggies there's always a good change even for ASU.

Wild Bill Hog

ASU might have a shot since it's early in the season.  Mid-season thru the end is when ASU historically curls up and quits.  Regardless of the timing though, A&M should win on talent alone.

razorbackred

I couldn't care less; it's ASU!

That's what makes Arkansas such a special state when it comes to college sports; there's only 1 team that really matters!

GO HOGS!

Special Delivery Jones

Quote from: spiritof92 on June 15, 2008, 03:40:28 pm
  Arkansas State definitely has a shot at beating the Aggies.  The early part of the season is when the majority of the big upsets happen, because many teams haven't "found themselves" yet (especially on offense).  The Wolves lost alot in their secondary, but return with Reggie Arnold and Corey Leonard on the other side of the ball.  I think stAte can keep it close for four quarters, but I'm not sure they can pull it off.

Or maybe it is because that is the time of the year that teams are not yet playing conference games and EVERYONE is playing weak sisters.  Just seems to reckon that would be the best time of the year to put your money on an upset.

SgtPepper

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 17, 2008, 02:10:50 pm
"Share your in state talent with us".....uh, no thanks.
I'm just curious.  You seem to be insinuating that if UofA and ASU were to someday play each other, it would mean that UofA would immediately start losing recruits to ASU.  Is this what you meant?

Personally, I could care less whether UofA and ASU ever play each other.  We're building our program just fine without your help.  I just find the attitudes of some UofA fans and some of the things they say to be bizarre, to say the least.   
The stAte's University

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: SgtPepper on June 17, 2008, 03:56:50 pm
I'm just curious.  You seem to be insinuating that if UofA and ASU were to someday play each other, it would mean that UofA would immediately start losing recruits to ASU.  Is this what you meant?

Personally, I could care less whether UofA and ASU ever play each other.  We're building our program just fine without your help.  I just find the attitudes of some UofA fans and some of the things they say to be bizarre, to say the least.  

You guys don't have a board to post on?

NuttinItUp

By no means, "immediately". However, if the U of A helped to build ASU into a power, you have to admit having 2 powers in the state would (at least partially) split the talent going to each school from in state and cut into recruiting. (at least a little) It, of course, isn't a 1-to-1 relationship (it is not a zero sum game) but there is a net negative for the original team in terms of support/recruiting/etc. that comes from having 2 powerful teams in a set region instead of just 1. (just the original) It may be a good thing for the state as a whole, it may be a good thing for AState, and it may be a good thing for a lot of individuals (perhaps you personally), but it is not a good thing for the U of A, no matter how you slice it.

The_Bionic_Pig

I did a little research and thought the Red Wolf fans would be interested in Aggie Scrimmage:

(April 19, 2008)--The Texas A&M football team closed the 2008 edition of spring practice with the annual Maroon & White Game presented by Melrose StudentSuites™ and Allstate in front of 32,000 fans at Kyle Field on Saturday.

The Texas A&M squad led by quarterbacks Stephen McGee and Tommy Dorman outscored the Aggies team quarterbacked by Jerrod Johnson and Ryan Tannehill, 14-3, in two quarters of action. In the second half, the Aggies ran situational plays in the "strike zone," two-minute offense, overtime and goal line.

On the first drive of the scrimmage, running back Mike Goodson took center stage with eight carries for 58 yards as Texas A&M marched the length of the field. McGee culminated the drive with a one-yard run on a naked bootleg to the endzone.

With Johnson at quarterback, the Aggies got on the scoreboard with a short drive that ended with a 44-yard field goal by Matt Szymanski. Running back Bradley Stephens did the heavy lifting with 41 yards on five carries on the drive.

On the ensuing drive, with Dorman at the helm, running back Cornell Tarrant broke loose for a 40-yard touchdown down the left sideline. He finished the day with a game-high 59 yards on just four carries.

McGee was the game's leading passer, completing 5-of-8 passes for 58 yards with a long completion of 25 yards to converted tight end Jamie McCoy. McCoy was the top receiver with two catches for 31 yards. Tannehill chipped in 6-of-10 passing for 50 yards, while Johnson was 3-of-5 for 25 yards. Defensive back Chevar Bryson finished the scrimmage with a length-of-the-field interception return for a touchdown.

In other news, fans at the game voted via text messages for Nick LaMantia to be the 12th Man Kickoff Team representative in the Aggies' season-opener against Arkansas State. Over 15,000 text message votes were sent with LaMantia receiving over 7,000 votes. LaMantia, from Mission, Texas, has been the Aggies' top 12th Man for the past seasons and has served as at the 12th Man a school-record 24 times
========================================================================================================

The offense seems to not be that explosive in the Passing department so if you can limit the big run and keep it close for 3 QTRs this could easily turn into:

Coach Sherman is a very knowledgeable coach ASU fans, prior to coaching the Aggies, he served as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers from the 2000–05 seasons. Sherman led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons from 2000–04 and three divisional titles in 2002, 2003, and 2004. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Brownie Tuggle

I say play "That School in Jonesboro" and finally have an Big All Arkanss Football Event. I hope the "Tire & Wheel School" beats the brakes off of Texas A&M!!!!

chiefsfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 16, 2008, 04:46:54 pm
why should we give you the time of day if you wont play UCA....what is the difference?

Where was it said that ASU wont play UCA.   The two can certainly play, but its a D1AA squad vs a D1 squad and rules have to be followed.   ASU can only schedule one of those per year.   

Once the two teams actually have room to schedule each other, then it can be talked about.   But this was the first year that they could even play...   it didnt happen

There really is a big difference between Arkansas and ASU and ASU and UCA.    Arkansas can play ASU any time it wants, but instead prefers to play Louisiana Monroe, North Texas and Florida International.        ASU can only play one D1AA squad in a season, and they have to find that school early if they intend for it to happen

chiefsfan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 18, 2008, 01:09:41 am
By no means, "immediately". However, if the U of A helped to build ASU into a power, you have to admit having 2 powers in the state would (at least partially) split the talent going to each school from in state and cut into recruiting. (at least a little) It, of course, isn't a 1-to-1 relationship (it is not a zero sum game) but there is a net negative for the original team in terms of support/recruiting/etc. that comes from having 2 powerful teams in a set region instead of just 1. (just the original) It may be a good thing for the state as a whole, it may be a good thing for AState, and it may be a good thing for a lot of individuals (perhaps you personally), but it is not a good thing for the U of A, no matter how you slice it.

So what happens if ASU starts becoming a power without the UofA's help?   We still end up stealing recruits in the end

Contrary to popular belief, ASU does not need UAF to succeed in athletics.   In the past 10 years Arkansas State has gone from the Worst rated team in Division 1, to a team that actually worries a few of the smaller major conference schools

At the current rate of improvement, Arkansas State will be at a level like a Southern Miss  (Scares the bejebus out of alot of major conference teams) within a few more years

And all of it without 1 game from that other school in the state.  Thanks guys

Ceba

And what a fantastic job of building a program you guys have done in your history.  Was the goal to have a losing program or winning?

Ceba

Quote from: chiefsfan on June 18, 2008, 01:10:34 pm
Where was it said that ASU wont play UCA.   The two can certainly play, but its a D1AA squad vs a D1 squad and rules have to be followed.   ASU can only schedule one of those per year.  

Once the two teams actually have room to schedule each other, then it can be talked about.   But this was the first year that they could even play...   it didnt happen

There really is a big difference between Arkansas and ASU and ASU and UCA.    Arkansas can play ASU any time it wants, but instead prefers to play Louisiana Monroe, North Texas and Florida International.        ASU can only play one D1AA squad in a season, and they have to find that school early if they intend for it to happen
You know as well as everyone else that ASU will not schedule UCA.  There's nothing to gain and everything to lose.

eminem

Seem to have an experienced team and gave UT and UT all they wanted last season! 

elksnort

Kicking Wing

Quote from: elksnort on July 09, 2008, 10:49:56 am
Can, yes.

Will they, NO.
I think his question was "can" it happen.  Nobody has a crystal ball but it wasn't long ago the answer would have been "no" to both questions.

They absolutely CAN do it if they play well and injuries aren't a factopr that late in the season.

cbjagman

While any thing is possible, I would highly doubt. While it's true 'Bama was blindsided by ULM last year, I don't think Saban will let the Tide forget about that major mishap from last season. In other words, the answer IMO is a resounding not!

Kicking Wing

Quote from: cbjagman on July 09, 2008, 11:34:11 am
While any thing is possible, I would highly doubt. While it's true 'Bama was blindsided by ULM last year, I don't think Saban will let the Tide forget about that major mishap from last season. In other words, the answer IMO is a resounding not!
So you don't think they can do it or you don't think they will.  I agree that it will be more difficult to sneak up on them because of what ULM did last year, but the poster above is right.  If you can play to within a blown call of having a shot at beating Texas then it definitely CAN happen.

Albert Einswine

Very doubtful that Jonesboro St. will do much more than whimper.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 09, 2008, 11:38:25 am
Very doubtful that Jonesboro St. will do much more than whimper.
It's called the "high road".  Look into it.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Kicking Wing on July 09, 2008, 11:41:55 am
It's called the "high road".  Look into it.

Having lived the vast majority of my life in Craighead County,  I won't be taking any directions to the "high road" from any Jonesboro St. fan,  thank you very much.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker